Fable 3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Fable 3

Post by Syenye »

I played a little last night. I didn't get too far in, but it's fun so far.

How do you view the quest list without having to find it on the map? They simplified the menu, but now I can't find anything without going back to the Sanctuary. It's quite frustrating.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Re: Fable 3

Post by Siji »

The more I play it, the less I like it. The menu-less system is farking retarded. The entire game has been dumbed down. No more choosing foods, potions, weapons, stats based on clothing, etc. No more viewing stats on items AT ALL for that matter. Hell, from what I can tell - you can't even view your current health level. Too many things have been made so much more cumbersome just for the sake of not providing a menu system. I have no desire to load it up and jump in.. I do so simply because I paid for it and feel obligated to try getting my money's worth. I seriously won't be doing that again anytime soon. And should the next Fable game use this stupid ass design, I won't bother even burning it.

In regards to your quest list question, I had the same question. From what I was told (and there's absolutely NO indication of this in the manual) you have to finish the mercenary quest line first. Then Jasper, the butler, figures out how to access the quest list and 'activates' the (Y) button option while looking at the map. From that point on, go to the map table and press Y.

Also, in regards to any DLC items (pre-order bonus, novel book bonus, etc) you won't get those either until you've gotten far enough in the game to receive them. No indication of that either..

On the plus side, it's less buggy than New Vegas.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

I finished it yesterday. If you haven't purchased it already, skip it until it goes on sale, and I suspect it will very soon.

The mini map made buying real estate much easier, and you don't have to collect experience orbs. There was some good voice acting. Everything else was mediocre or kind of awful. They must have assumed that being king/queen was going to be much more amazing and fun than it turned out to be, because it felt like they didn't put much effort into anything else.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

What the hell kind of RPG can be finished in 5 days?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

miir wrote:What the hell kind of RPG can be finished in 5 days?
Well, that's 120 hours total. Assuming you play 8 hours a day that's still a 40 hour game. I have no idea how long it actually takes to beat the game, but I also don't think length alone defines an RPG. It seems that Japanese developers believe grinding = RPG and they pad their games with that mechanic. I'll take a tight, shorter experience any day.

I haven't heard too many great things about Fable 3 so I'll wait for a 20$ deal. Hell, I may pass on it altogether this time. I enjoyed Fable 2 for what it was, but I never even had the tiniest bit of interest in the 3rd one.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

miir wrote:What the hell kind of RPG can be finished in 5 days?
It was really short. I think there are a few quests after you finish the main storyline, but I was angry that it wasn't better and stopped playing. I also spent a long time running around digging shit up for people while waiting for my gold to accumulate.

I don't mind a short game. I don't think I would have played through another 20 hours of digging shit up and shaking hands.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I have no idea how long it actually takes to beat the game, but I also don't think length alone defines an RPG. It seems that Japanese developers believe grinding = RPG and they pad their games with that mechanic. I'll take a tight, shorter experience any day.
A 20 hour RPG just seems half assed.
Some of the best RPGs have had up to 100 hours of gameplay. Look at Oblivion and Fallout 3. Hell you could even squeeze 100ish hours out of Fable 2. Even Dragon Age was 40+ hours.

And I don't see any mention of Japanese in my post... but if you want to go there, FF13 had 50+ hours and required no grinding whatsoever. Resonance of Fate required very little grinding as well and it clocked in at 40+ hours.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

All of the Fables can be finished in very short order. The trick with those is to really take your time and explore it and not go full bore through the story like you would in most games. I did not buy 3 yet and probably won't for a while....it looks like I will be playing Sacred 2 and Fallout Vegas for quite a bit.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fable 3 is not a RPG, hell it's even classified as a Adventure game cause Peter Worthless Molydouche knew he couldn't pass it off as a RPG anymore.

This game in it's most recent iteration is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with what developers are doing. What happened to making games for fans of the genre instead of selling out to make more money? I'd rather see a developer whose games I love close their doors than sell out.

RPG'S by definition should have in depth equipment and combat systems, they should require grinding and serious tactic when it comes to battles. Button mashing has no place in RPG's.

Fable can kiss my ass, and Peter Molyneux is the biggest douche in the gaming industry.

JRPG's arw the only true RPG's left, and even they are starting to falter under the pressure of selling to a wider audience.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: RPG'S by definition should have in depth equipment and combat systems, they should require grinding and serious tactic when it comes to battles. Button mashing has no place in RPG's.

JRPG's arw the only true RPG's left, and even they are starting to falter under the pressure of selling to a wider audience.
Mass Effect 2 is hands down the best RPG this year and it's not Japanese.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-2
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: RPG'S by definition should have in depth equipment and combat systems, they should require grinding and serious tactic when it comes to battles. Button mashing has no place in RPG's.

Mass Effect 2 is hands down the best RPG this year and it's not Japanese.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-2
There are exceptions to every rule, Mass Effect is one of those few exceptions :)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Fable 3 sucks. I can't imagine anyone that visits this place enjoying it. The only reason I bothered finishing it like I've said before is because I ignorantly paid $60 for it. That's the last time I'll be buying a Fable game for sure.

As for going full bore or not.. there's not really that much to do. I would assume that if you only did the story line quests, you could finish in a day. (Assuming you didn't bother trying to save every villager by saving up gold - which honestly, why bother doing?) The jobs aren't as annoying as they were in F2, but there's also much less reason to do them because real estate pays well enough. And speaking of real estate, while the sanctuary map makes it much easier to buy houses and shops, the whole retarded practice of constantly having to go to each.. and.. every.. single.. structure.. one.. at.. a.. time.. to repair them (or risk lowering your income from it) is farking stupid.

As for the belief that people being able to be king would be exciting? It's not. It's actually no different than not being king. Well, other than having to make some good/evil choices and pay attention to how much gold is in the treasury (as previously mentioned, to save villagers). The number of quests are actually low. How do you get more quests? By talking to villagers and increasing your standing with them. One.. by.. one. And what kind of quests do these new friends of yours give you? The.. same.. exact.. ones. Go fetch this item and bring it back. Go deliver this item. That's it. Over and over. You couldn't provide a better example of cookie cutter quests.

The story is paper thin and completely strained for creativity, the world is monotonous and boring. The fighting is completely uninspired. The menu-less system, the new social system, the new spell system, the new shops system all suck complete ass.

I loved Fable 2 (which from what I've read elsewhere, most people didn't) but I hate Fable 3. I won't even be looking at any DLC for this fucktastic game. I'd trade it in, but I'm sure GameStop is laughing all day offering $10 at best.