iPhone 4 Pre-Order Today

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

iPhone 4 Pre-Order Today

Post by Canelek »

Well, that is if you can.... AT&T as well as Apple Store are clogged up.

Ships 6/24
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: iPhone 4 Pre-Order Today

Post by Canelek »

I was actually able to reserve one via the Apple Store iPhone app that just came out. I suppose this was easier since it obviously excluded folks who do not already have a Apple device (ipad, phone, touch, etc).

That said, it just told me I had a reservation--it said nothing of eligibility, etc. I'll have to call and confirm.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It took all day but I was able to finally order a 32 GB iPhone 4 via Apple's website.

At&T is sold out of pre orders...they sold out at like 1:45pm eastern.

The good news is my phone will deliver by June 24th (launch day) and my plan remains UNLIMITED.

* Ships: Delivers on June 24th
* Part number: MC319LL/A

Rate Plan

Unlimited $30.00

Nice! I was under the impression that upgrading to the new iPhone would require I take the 2GB/month or 250mb/month plans but keeping unlimited for 30.00 is great.

I also added the rip off 29.00 bumper case Apple sells. I bet that thing cost less than $1 to make. The bumper thing ships June 24th to be delivered June 25th-29th. I'm glad that thing won't hold up the iPhone delivery.

Free shipping

The phone will ship ready to use after iTunes activation. I keep latest iTunes version on my iMac so can keep older iTunes on PC for hacking purposes. iOS4 already jailbroken so won't matter much I'm guessing.

edit: I don't usually use a lot of bandwidth on my phone but with the Netflix app coming for the iPhone and other bandwidch hogging video apps, as well as jailbroken tethering to my iPad, I like the idea of unlimited so I won't have to worry about it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Since the AT&T site was lollerfied yesterday, I managed to call a rinkydink AT&T kiosk to verify I am eligible for upgrade (11/2009, luckily).

Even though my 16GB iPhone4 is "reserved" at a local mall Apple store, I have my doubts that their inventory will be accurate. And even if it is there, I imagine there will be a crowd!

I would have preferred USPS, but I grew tired after several hours fucking around with apple.com.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I don't know if lollerfied is the right word, more like TOTALLY FUCKING HOSED!

http://gizmodo.com/5564262/apple-iphone ... nformation
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I have something nice to say about he iPhone.

The Carcassonne game is fun.

That is all.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If doesn't red-x, nice comparison to give an idea of what's been updated since last iPhone.

link if red-x

http://www.geekersmagazine.com/2010/06/ ... aphic.html

Knowing how fast the iPad is...it's nice to see the iPhone 4 has the same processed plus 512mb of RA compared to iPad's 256mb

Initial 720p video footage by amateur looks promising too:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10 ... mpressions
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dear Apple Store Customer,

You recently received a Shipment Notification email from Apple advising you that your iPhone has shipped.

This email is to confirm that your delivery will occur on June 23rd. Although Apple and FedEx tracking information may currently indicate a later date, you can check the FedEx website the morning of the June 23rd to track your package to your doorstep.

In the event that you will not be available to accept delivery on June 23rd, it may be more convenient to use our pre-sign delivery option by visiting our Order Status website at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus.

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team
I received this email from Apple today.

Nice! Looks like some people will get their new phones a day early. Mine's currently in Anchorage Alaska (FedEx), originating from SHENZHEN China.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sweet! I love sweatshop products!

Well, the emails says mine is "reserved" for pickup and the Apple store Thursday. I have a dental appointment down there anyway, so hope they have mine, and there is not too terrible of a crowd!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Received my iPhone 4 a day early as the note above promised.

First impressions.

It's small. I've had my iPhone 3G in a case so it was strange handling the smaller iPhone 4.

As expected, the design/quality is excellent. Evo felt like cheap plastic toy compared to this. No screen leaks, etc...if it had a dead pixel I don't think I could even spot it with the 336ppi.

The Screen:

Best way I can describe it....you know how when you get a new electronic device and there's a a sticker on the screen showing what it would look like if it was turned on? Well the iPhone's screen is so clear and hi res, when I looked down on it sitting on my car seat, it looked like the screen was one of the picture stickers. ....Really nice screen. Turn off that auto brightness crap right away.

Speaker:

Improved! Don't expect greatness out of a little cell phone speaker but it's better than the iPhone 3Gs...louder and clearer...yay for shirt pocket podcast listening.

Camera/Video:

Video looks outstanding. It does get the rubberband effect if you don't keep the camera steady when recording but the picture quality is worthy of the 720P 30fps that's claimed....very nice.

As for the back camera. Here's a sample. Full size image hidden....1/2 reduced image shown:
[Show]

Very nice fore a cell phone camera. Nice detail if you look at the curb in the full sized image. The yellow and blues seem a little strong but I kinda like warmer images.

Picture was taken out of my car window so not the best conditions.

Front Facing Camera:

I could look at myself all day! ...well the quality of the front facing camera is good. It's easy to toggle between the two. It looks like video chatting might actually gain a little in popularity soon...not much but a little!

Speed:

Fast! A4 chip is same one that's in the iPad. iPhone 4 has 512mb (my 3G had 128mb...nuff said!...3GS has 256mb)

Multitasking is working great so far. I opened up my IM messenger app, Stock Manager App, App Store App, Banking App...every app you open stays "open" after you close it. You double click on the HOME button to bring up your open apps to select or close them. Swipe to the left of the multitask slider and you get your iTunes music controls...as well as a very handy screen lock button...sweet. I do pretty much everything in portrait and hate when my screen goes landscape so I punched that button right away. The manual toggle on the iPad is nice too but this soft key version is easy enough to get to.

Keypad/Entry:

Just lightly changed. You now have the red line underscore as well as the predictive typing option to help get your words right. Nice.

My bumper case doesn't come until later in the week. I cut off the top and bottom of the front shipping screen protector and left it on the front for now and also left the back plastic sheet on except for cutting off top to allow camera to function. The phone is pretty easy to grip but I'll feel a lot better after I get a more rubberized band around it to hold.

That's about all I've checked out so far. Solid phone. Anyone that likes iPhones will be pleased with this upgrade.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've heard not so good things about ios4!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I've heard not so good things about ios4!
What have you heard? iOS4 seems to be working as advertised so far.

There is an issue with the external antennas though. If you connect the left antenna and bottom of the phone with your hand, you lose almost all of your bars. That was horrible planning on Apple's part. Thankfully, a case solves that problem! The Bumper thingy I ordered will keep me from touching the metal on the phone....still, pretty bad that Apple didn't figure that one out beforehand.

Focusing on the camera again, someone posted this sample of how powerful the flash is on the iPhone 4

with/without Flash shots:

First pick is the old 3GS,
[Show]

Not bad for a little LED flash. Better than nothing for sure on a cell phone. I wonder if there's a way to use that as a flashlight.

----

Here's an example of the 4G iPhone screen compared to the 3GS on the right:

Funny that the Apple Store App Icon wasn't updated for the iPhone 4. Easy to pick that icon out on the left as out of place.

Screen and Camera are impressive.

Here's another example s how the hi res screen helps, especially on a 3.5 inch screen;

First pic, full sized image of 3GS screen. Second in the 4G's screen:

That's what 640X960 will get you on a screen that small.

320x480 3GS screen actual pixels vs 640x960 4G:

Pictures obtained from this thread with lots of good photo examples:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=946756

Best example of video from the iPhone 4 for you iPhone haters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hoping that the crowd isn't too bad at Apple Store today. I fucking hate malls, but the pre-order app had limited pick up options. Supposedly, there will be a line just for pre-reserved people and staff on hand to do the transfers, activation and other shit. If I am lucky, crowd will be minimal and mostly people hoping to get a phone without the pre-order.

I expect a crowd, just because it is a fucking mall, it is summer vacation, and it, once again, is a fucking mall.

Figures about the protectors not being ready yet.

Does Invisashield or whatever have their fancy screen film out yet?
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Called Apple Store. They told me line was "big". I'll check in a bit, but likely I'll just wait!
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

It just works... as long as you don't hold it in your left hand!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:Called Apple Store. They told me line was "big". I'll check in a bit, but likely I'll just wait!
You should have seized the perfect opportunity for a "that's what she said", but I'm guessing you didn't. Such a waste :(
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Indeed. Either way, I'll wait till next month. I don't do 2 hour lines!
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

um, you're a fool if you thought it could have possibly been a short line to begin with :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, on the rare occasion I absolutely have to go to the mall, I am always amazed at the crowd of hipster retards hanging out in the Apple store.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No need for crowds. Have it delivered to your home the same day or day earlier than the official release date!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

you know that you still went to the mall to take upskirts with yours winnow :P
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:No need for crowds. Have it delivered to your home the same day or day earlier than the official release date!

You were one of the lucky ones. I had both ATT and Apple up all day trying on 6/15 with no luck!

And yes, it was foolish to think there would be a small line. Oh well, not like I have paid anything yet, so I can wait until July 14th or whenever.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:If doesn't red-x, nice comparison to give an idea of what's been updated since last iPhone.

link if red-x

http://www.geekersmagazine.com/2010/06/ ... aphic.html

Knowing how fast the iPad is...it's nice to see the iPhone 4 has the same processed plus 512mb of RA compared to iPad's 256mb

Initial 720p video footage by amateur looks promising too:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10 ... mpressions
So what youre saying is that Apple released a phone even heavier than their earlier version? :D
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I've heard not so good things about ios4!
What have you heard? iOS4 seems to be working as advertised so far.
Mostly in regards to Apple's implementation of "multitasking" sucking ass.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ah hell, the ability to lock the fucking screen is enough for me to buy it.

Fuck Landscape (aside from games)!
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Looks like waist hight drops make for shattered iphones...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:Looks like waist hight drops make for shattered iphones...
Your face will also burn if you dump a fresh cup of McDonald's coffee on it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:Looks like waist hight drops make for shattered iphones...
Your face will also burn if you dump a fresh cup of McDonald's coffee on it.
My G1 flew off the top of my car going 50 mph. I stopped, picked up the pieces and snapped it back together, and it's working like new to this day.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Winnow, are you having any issues with the skin contact with the lower left corner of the phone? I'm left-handed, so I always have my hand touching that area of the phone when I'm talking to someone. After hearing all these reports of issues, I'm glad I decided to wait. My 3G has always had a rubber case, and if I do get a 4 it'll have one too.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I see quite a few rubber cases on Amazon, and I am sure there will be many, many more.

Since I didn't get my pre-order, at least I can go ahead and buy all my accessories first! I drop the fuck out of my phones...amazing I still have one functioning speaker on my 3G. :D

However, I did call Radio Shack and they put me on their call-list, which was only like 10 deep (that's what she said)....
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sargeras wrote:Winnow, are you having any issues with the skin contact with the lower left corner of the phone? I'm left-handed, so I always have my hand touching that area of the phone when I'm talking to someone. After hearing all these reports of issues, I'm glad I decided to wait. My 3G has always had a rubber case, and if I do get a 4 it'll have one too.
I haven't had any dropped calls. If you use a case it's going to be a non issue. Holding the phone normally won't cause it (I'm left handed as well). If you grip the phone tightly (cupping the bottom of the phone) it drops bars. This is only an issue of you are touching the metal. If you have the bumper case (or any other rubber/plastic case, the signal strength is completely unaffected.
Question - What's going to be done about the signal dropping issue. Is it software or hardware?
To which, Jobs replied with a typically short response:

Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way.
In a followup email, Jobs then expanded with this explanation:

Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I guess in apple speak, a pretty major design flaw is considered a 'non-issue'.
Your iphone will work properly only if you hold it a certain way or if you use a case. :roll:

If Sony had a similar design flaw, you'd be all over it.
I think I'll spam this thread with news articles about complaints and lawsuits against Apple. :lol:
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Jobs' reply is what really gets to me. "Just avoid holding the phone in that way".

Are you fucking kidding me?

I'll resciend earlier statements that Apple fanboys are sheep. That's an insult to sheep intelligence.
They're much more like lemmings.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I read Jobs' comment the same way. That is a pretty fucking arrogant response to an obvious flaw.

That said, all phones are flawed in some way and I plan on using the rubber protectorizer thing since I am prone to dropping things.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This may Red-X but here's a camera/video comparison between the top cell phones:

Article:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/25/iph ... evaluated/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another graphic that might Red-X!

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/71 ... -cost.html

Total cost of ownership for various smart phones.

Also, another nice camera comparison:

http://gizmodo.com/5572766/test-notes-iphone-4-camera

New Camera is one of the more impressive things on the new iPhone...along with the Screen and speed. (for being a cell phone camera)
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

I have the Motorola Droid with 16 gig storage in it and could not be happier. The I4s look snazzier, but they had some serious multithreading and call drop problems, from what the three people in our IT dept were bitching about. Also, when apple makes a phone that has an actual keyboard and lets you USB mount it (without hacking the fucking thing), I will consider switching.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

iPhone 4 vs EVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Full Disclosure: I own 1500 shares of Sprint ATM

Edit: I love owning stocks as the market plummets!
Last edited by Winnow on June 29, 2010, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Another graphic that might Red-X!

Which is probably why I don't have one. Paying that much for a 'phone' seems crazy to me. Sure they are handy and all but I'd rather spend that money on other things. $1000-$1500 a year = dumb.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Which is probably why I don't have one. Paying that much for a 'phone' seems crazy to me. Sure they are handy and all but I'd rather spend that money on other things. $1000-$1500 a year = dumb.
You need to take your current bill and subtract that from the total for your cell phone to come up with the real difference.

I can see why some wouldn't want smart phones but for me, I am constantly using it for IM's, Stocks, RSS feeds, Surfing, Podcasts, etc. I won't bat an eyelash at 80.00/month for a phone.

Same holds true for the iPad. That thing kicks ass as a consumption device. I have PC's out the wazoo at my home yet still find myself using the iPad every day.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Another graphic that might Red-X!

Yeah uh by the way, the majority of that plan is for normal phone usage such as voice/txting.. I know personally that its 30 bucks/month for unlimited data for my Droid which over 24 months = 720.. So that chart is a bit misleading..
Timmah.

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have T Mobile. I have unlimited text/internet and like 600 anytime minutes with unlimited nights/weekends and calls to other T Mobile customers. I pay $65/month after taxes and fees (780/year) and the most expensive phone is 500 if you buy it unsubsidized/no contract.

So that makes 1280 in a year at most, and I buy a new phone maybe once every 2-3 years.. So it's really not that bad.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Over the past 5+ years, my phone has cost me 0.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Apparently, the AT&T site crapped out again today when they opened up general iPhone4 ordering. Of course, all that shit is on back order anyway....
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

really? you couldn't look just 8 post up to see this linked? :?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:

really? you couldn't look just 8 post up to see this linked? :?
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone who wanted to wade through 2 pages of your fanboi nonsense!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

From Slashdot:
"Sometimes, news items are just about a good laugh. You may or may not like Apple, but the way it has been handling their antenna issue has been like a small tech soap-opera. Steve Jobs, the CEO, claiming "not to hold the phone that way", rumors or software issues, and the latest but most crunchy part, since the antenna issue has been widely discovered, on the 23 june, several "Antenna engineer" positions opened up at Apple. Seems someone got fired: Antenna engineer job position 1, Antenna engineer job position 2, Antenna engineer job position 3."

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/06/3 ... ers-Really
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Odd...

I placed my order through AT&T Tuesday and it is out for delivery today, despite AT&T stating that all units were on back order. Must have been a production surge.

Seems Apple is still saying that shipping will be delayed for three weeks.

Either way, I am happy that I get my shiny today! :D
en kærlighed småkager