World Cup 2010

What do you think about the sports world?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

World Cup 2010

Post by Chidoro »

Congrats to the US on finishing 1st in their world cup division. Last night's game was fantastic. I feel for Costa Rica but them's the breaks. Hell, There are quite a few notable teams in that 2 game playoff next month. Shame about Onyewu as he's a big big man in the box, but knees are knees I guess.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Re: World Cup 2010

Post by Dakanaf »

Hope the Gooch can fully recover, had this horrible feeling in my gut when he went down on his own.

When it rains it pours. Poor Charlie Davies. At the Real Salt Lake vs New York Red Bulls game we also held up number 9 signs at the 9th minute. It was pretty amazing to look around the beautiful stadium and see nines everywhere and thousands of people cheering Charlie Davies dun dun dun Charlie Davies dun dun dun. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Back to the game, I hate how so many games this qualifying round the US had to fight back from a goal down but on the other hand I love that they show their heart and get it done. It is so exciting to see the them playing attacking soccer.

I must say I was never a Jonathan Bornstein fan but he really came into his own last night and not just the goal. However, Connor Casey needs to gtfo. But I also hate Ching so I don't know who else to put up there.

Also the ESPN guys kept saying that it is important to finish first in your group for a chance to get a seed but apparently it doesn't work that way and unless FIFA changes the rules the US will not get a seed. If I am reading this correctly. Wiki on seeding math
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Thierry Henry should be banned from ever playing football again, the fucking cunt.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Yeah I was watching the game and pulling for Ireland. They played great soccer the whole night and I was very angry to see this happen.

It's not like it was an accident, he even admitted(after they won the game) that he intentionally handled the ball to set that goal up. He should have admitted it on the fucking field so there could be a fair outcome.

An apology just doesn't cut it. He should be suspended or banned from this WC.

Also, this would have been settled very quickly and simply if refs could consult video. Henry would have been promptly red carded and the game would have had a different outcome.

Here's a few angles of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51t2segCkCk
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I agree, it sucks but Ireland demanding a replay is assinine. It has happened before and will happen again. It sucks, take your loss and move on. There are bad calls in every game, but I bet Ireland can point to 3-4 other opportunities they did not cash in on that would have made that call pointless.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Yeah, I guess if you don't consider the notion of fair play in sport to be of any importance I could see how it would be assinine. :?

Anyway, the cheats go through, grats them.

If this isn't enough to make video refereeing an obvious and long overdue inclusion from now on then nothing is. Fifa is a corrupt, shoddily run group of wankers, so I suspect nothing will happen.
Last edited by Nick on November 19, 2009, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I have to agree with Nick this one. It mean it only decides who goes and who stays, no big deal right? The ball was so blatantly misdirected by his hand it was ridiculous. What the hell is the harm in what is deemed a questionable goal? Because it has never been done before? Well there hasn't been 40 camera shoots before either. The decision would be simple and quick. Just a ridiculous way to move on.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I agree they should have video backup like other sports, the technology is there. I hope this leads to the them implementing it.

I stand by my other comment, I mean really do we have to replay every game with a questionable call? Refs make mistakes, even with video mistakes are made and games are lost. It is part of sports. So now every time this happens we should expect a do over? Or is this just something the Irish get?

It will be forever remembered, like the Maradona "Hand of God" goal and anything they do will be tainted in the tournament. I know it is not recompense for the crap he did, or the violation of the rules, but it does become part of the game forever. When he retires they will bring it up, when he passes they will bring it up. So there is a little justice in this ultimately.

The irish also seem to think this cost them the game, it cost them a chance at a shoot out, nothing more. We will never know what would have happened and that sucks, but do you really think they should replay this?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

100% absolutely yes.

They wont though.

Also, "The irish seem to think this cost them the game."

on't forget the rest of that statement, "The Irish and the rest of the planet think this cost them the game, mainly because it did "cost" them the game. in that they lost overall."

Are you just being facetious for the sake of it?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Team USA will win the World Cup.

Mark my words.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

If they get that far I might actually watch a soccer match.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Nick wrote:100% absolutely yes.

They wont though.

Also, "The irish seem to think this cost them the game."

on't forget the rest of that statement, "The Irish and the rest of the planet think this cost them the game, mainly because it did "cost" them the game. in that they lost overall."

Are you just being facetious for the sake of it?

So we should have replayed the Steeler/Seahawk Superbowl? The Yankees/Orioles playoff game? The Steelers game was debateable even with the video replay and I am a Steeler fan. The Yankee game was clearly a mistake when the kid grabbed the ball.

Who decides which games are worthy of the replay? What about fouls like the Utah/Lakers game years ago where Malone mugged the guy on the inbound pass and no call was made. It was clearly a foul on replays...it part of the game Nick. It sucks, I know it sucks, I feel bad for the Irish team and while it did not not necessarily cost you the win, it did cost you a chance to win. I understand, but shit happens and this time it happened to you.

Go back to the last world cup, the US was jobbed by horrific refs during the game with the French...oh well, part of the game. Hell the NBA had a unofficial rulebook called the Jordan Rules a few years ago. He pushed the Utah guard...offensive foul...no call...basket... series over...sorry.

I am sorry it happened to them, they played great, had one of the planets best teams on their heels and got jobbed. I wish it did not happen, but you guys look like babies when you whine about wanting a replay.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Btw Nick, do you know anything about Scottish Soccer? Is that Banks O'Dee team my cousin is playing on any good at all? I know it is not English Premier League and all, but is it decent?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I'm a little pushed for time at the moment -

Banks O dee appear to be a local team, sort of like the way you may have a sort of "tri county" sports team, they wouldn't be considered professional or even semi professional.

I've never heard of them before, and after looking them up they're an amateur outfit in Aberdeen. They seem to have won a league, so they must be good enough in their own area, but for context, that sort of league is probably filled with call centre workers and office workers who like to kick a ball about once a week :p

(They may still be good, in that context, but they're not like...a real professional football team.)

Still, I reckon it would be a fair bit of fun even being on a wee team, except, ultimately (and im sure this will come as no surprise) I'm much too selfish for team sports usually ;p
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think they should have replayed it. I get Trek's concerns about line-drawing and where you stop, but shit... did you see that?

I'm not as angry at Henry though. It's the ref's job to make the calls. I don't know that I've ever seen an athlete at a top level of competition admit to an uncalled foul. Perhaps he should have spoken up after a few seconds, when he saw and comprehended the significance of what had happened, but I can't crucify him for it.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Nick wrote:I'm a little pushed for time at the moment -

Banks O dee appear to be a local team, sort of like the way you may have a sort of "tri county" sports team, they wouldn't be considered professional or even semi professional.

I've never heard of them before, and after looking them up they're an amateur outfit in Aberdeen. They seem to have won a league, so they must be good enough in their own area, but for context, that sort of league is probably filled with call centre workers and office workers who like to kick a ball about once a week :p

(They may still be good, in that context, but they're not like...a real professional football team.)

Still, I reckon it would be a fair bit of fun even being on a wee team, except, ultimately (and im sure this will come as no surprise) I'm much too selfish for team sports usually ;p
Thanks for the information. He said it was his professional debut and I knew they were not big, but it is pretty cool for a young kid from Indiana to be playing in Scotland.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

If it makes you feel better Nick, I just lost 2 straight championships in a two weekends on poor referree calls.

I had to explain to a bunch of 11 year old girls that sometimes people make mistakes. I also explained that if we had scored a couple of times more on the 20+ shots we had to their 4, we would have won anyway.

I know it is not getting Ireland into the World Cup, but thought you might enjoy my Karmic misery. Poor girls played their asses off.

On the plus side, I told them I was gonna rest a bit instead of coaching the all stars, It is hard coaching from crutches. It will be nice watching from the sidelines.

The last tournament also had the best rule ever....coaches and players on one side, parents on the other. For Once I could think straight while coaching and not get 50 suggestions throughout the game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I was hoping they would actually do something, but...
Statement on Thierry Henry(FIFA.com)
Monday 18 January 2010

On 2 December 2009, the FIFA Executive Committee asked the FIFA Disciplinary Committee to analyse the handling offence committed by Thierry Henry during the France v. Republic of Ireland match on 18 November 2009, and to consider the possible disciplinary consequences.

At its meeting on 18 January 2010, the Disciplinary Committee reached the conclusion that there was no legal foundation for the committee to consider the case because handling the ball cannot be regarded as a serious infringement as stipulated in article 77a) of the FIFA Disciplinary Code.

There is no other legal text that would allow the committee to impose sanctions for any incidents missed by match officials.
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federatio ... erry+henry
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Less than 24 hours away from the start of World Cup 2010!

South Africa v Mexico and Uruguay v France on Friday. The Mexican flags are already out in full force in my neighborhood, heh. It's all good when I walk through in my German nat'l team jerseys though. I woke up this morning to the alert on my Uverse service that they will have more dedicated "multi-view" channels for the World Cup. I noticed several language specific channels before getting ready for work, and also more On-Demand style programming that appears to be a way to replay games (which will be nice).

An older guy that works at the grocery store I go to actually stopped me when the alarm went off as I walked out a couple weeks ago. I think that he knew it was the people walking out the other door that set it off, because he cracked some jokes about my German 2006 World Cup jersey that I had on. His nephew (think that was the relation) plays for Argentina, and he was getting ready to head to South Africa to watch the Cup after missing 2006. Pretty cool.

Saturday is the "big" England v USA game. I really don't have a favorite in that one, but I would like to see Algeria advance out of that group after what they went through qualifying.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Group A
South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea
Greece

Group C
England
United States
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D
Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana

Group E
Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

Group G
Brazil
North Korea
Ivory Coast
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

If US wins on Saturday, I don't care if they lose every other game in the cup. FUCK U BRITTANIA!
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll go with the United States and Germany.

United States:

No explanation needed! Let the rest of the world have soccer. The U.S. gets everything else!

Germany:

Der fatherand! I was born there.

Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue, Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang.

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Über alles in der Welt!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Wonder what the reason was for disallowing the goal for Mexico. South Africa had a defender on the line, so it couldn't have been offsides
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That was a crap call. I was a bit worried for Mexico that it would be extra costly during that last batch of corners for South Africa.

On an unrelated note, I got a chuckle about 2 minutes into the match when ESPN's analyst described the first cross of the game to set up Mexico's first shot on goal as "The best ball in of the night."
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

well, it was! lol

had me do a brief double-take thinking that I had missed the first half of the game or something

all even at 1-1 now off of a good Marquez goal, so my neighbors should be happy :P
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

It was not a crap call, people have more problems with offsides calls then any other. I see it in the kids games all the time. My girls had 4 goals disallowed this weekend by a kid ref. There actually has to be 2 players between the goal and player at the time of the touch, the ball was touched at the same time the goalie went past the forward, that left just the last player. I admit I thought it was bad too, until the replay.

That is probably the most complicated offsides call though, and it is easy to understand how people got confused.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Tyek wrote:there actually has to be 2 players between the goal and player at the time of the touch,
:vv_yeahthat:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I know the rules. I played the game for 18 years as a youth and young adult (I haven't spent years coaching kids ball, though - but I may get that opportunity if my kiddo takes an interest in the game). I agree that it's an often misunderstood rule - my wife's cousin who played for her university's women's team still doesn't have a firm grasp on it hah. I wasn't watching on a DVR, and. I don't have the game recorded, but it did not appear to me to be an offside when the ball was touched. I had to leave the room around that time, but I could hear the announcers questioning the call from the other room (of course announcers can be just as wrong as everyone else at times). I'm perfectly willing to admit that I was mistaken in my characterization if find a video of it that shows my perception of the event to be incorrect.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Sorry Xatrei, was not trying to be a soccer snob. I played about 30 years myself. Played on the top club in California for years, high school, college, semi pro, then over 30 league. I have been coaching the last 5 years. I have to go get my E license next week (which should be awesome on crutches and a non weight bearing foot!).

My impression was the same as yours, until I saw the replay. We had a goal taken away this weekend on almost the exact same thing, the difference was they had 2 defenders on the goal line, but the kid thought one had to be the goalie, it does not. We still ended up winning 2-1, but I have never seen a team try so hard to steal a win in a friendly. (the ref was the other coaches kid and he called back 4 goals, called phantom penalty kick for their goal and ignored when they almost destroyed my best defenders leg.

Its funny, I am watching the France - Uraguay game and 2 seconds before the announcer said it, I told my daughter, looks like Uraguay wants to play for a tie.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, the first time I saw it, I thought he was still onsides based on the guy on the line and the keeper. I wasn't in a place where I could queue up a replay :p
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Just looked at a freeze-frame replay on the web. It's close. A matter of inches close, but yeah, it was a good call. It's even more impressive for how quickly and certainly the assistant made the call.

I haven't been able to watch much of the Uruguay France game, but from the few disjointed minutes I've caught, France doesn't look that impressive.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

They did early, then things just settled. Rather boring game actually. That's what happens when one team just wants a 0-0 tie.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Can't say that I would root for France, but I hope Ribery does well now that he's committed to Bayern for 5 years :P

humorous article about the comments in the Mexico v South Africa game.

Brilliant images, shoddy commentary

The broadcast of the World Cup opener provided brilliant, efficient replays, making ESPN color commentator Efan Ekoku's blundering analysis of the first-half offside call even more puzzling.

In the 38th minute, Carlos Vela’s header into the South African goal was quickly and correctly ruled offside by referee Ravshan Irmatov. Vela had struck after a Mexico corner kick had been nodded on to him. We quickly got a perfect replay, shaded nicely so one could judge the players’ positioning.

Goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune had left his goal in a futile attempt to intercept the corner kick. The freeze frame showed us that there was only one South African, a defender, between Vela and the goal line when the ball was headed to Vela.

Yet Ekoku continued to question the call -- what he called "an awful decision" -- even after a second clear replay. In the 45th minute, he still referred to a Mexico goal called back for "an infringement we don't know about.”

The production quality of the opening game -- from camera angles to well-timed close-ups -- promises us a month's worth of delightful viewing. One hopes the ESPN commentators will start getting the rules right.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38 ... ntary.html
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm going to take the lead position of authority on this thread as I was the Right Wing and top goal scorer for when I was 12 years old, taking my team to the quarter finales of the California state youth soccer championship.

While Xatrei's 18 years of youth soccer is impressive...I played 24 years of youth soccer...kicked the crap out of those kids!

Enjoyed the two tie games today...looking forward to the US games Saturday and German Sunday!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

What's more impressive is that all 24 years were spent in the U10 girls division and he still never got his state title.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

If you're going to spot a team a goal, wouldn't you normally do that before your team has scored? Talk about a bad case of butterfingers!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:If you're going to spot a team a goal, wouldn't you normally do that before your team has scored? Talk about a bad case of butterfingers!

Yeah, that was a super weak play by England's goalie. On the other hand, I was really impressed with the American goalie. He's a keeper! (pun intended!) The goal he gave up would have been hard for anyone to defend at that range, one on one.

The U.S. was lucky to get a tie out of this match. Neither team looked that great. At least they have time to get their act together if they can win against the lower ranked rest of their Group C competition.

PS, the noise makers South African's use are super annoying. Makes you feel like you're in a noisy plane the entire time.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Definitely agree about the goalies. Either one could have been man of the match as far as USA is concerned. :) Green's blunder gave us a goal and Howard seemed like he was sometimes the only defense we had on the field.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

World Cup 2010: South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban
South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.

"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.

"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Those vuvuzelas are extremely annoying. What moron decided they would be a good idea at soccer matches?

Germany's ball control is incredible. From what I've seen of the U.S. and England, I don't see them coming anywhere close to the Germans in skill.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I blame the horns for my dog hiding in the bathroom during the games. It couldn't have had anything to do with me jumping out of my chair several times :P
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

maybe a little off topic but...what the hell is that buzzing sound during soccer games on tv? I have tried a few times to sit through a soccer game but the audio is annoying as hell.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

:-s

Did you read the last few posts?
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Boogahz wrote::-s

Did you read the last few posts?

heh ya reading would have helped..
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

WTF Brazil!?! 54 minutes? Seriously?
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

I got off work at half time and came home to see no goals. Must have missed a boring half!
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Man, according to the espn gamecast, Brazil has been taking far too many shots to only be up 2-0 at the 88' mark.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

FOR GRORIOUS READER!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

haha, I had JUST said that to a co-worker before loading this thread
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Wonder if the Swiss can pull off this upset in the group stage over Spain!