Windows 7 experience

Support, Discussion, Reviews
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Windows 7 experience

Post by valryte »

So far I love the OS. Most of my application actually run better on Windows 7 than XP, but I am having this one major issue that I can find plenty of reports with the same symptom, but no real answers.

Basically, Windows 7 seems to hiccup doing various things. Going from Computer to one of my drives in explorer, or accessing a folder on a network share, doing other IO operations, playing WoW, all seem to cause it to hiccup and most of the time, it has a cascading effect that eventually the video driver is restarted. I've searched all over, contacted my video card manufacturer, all points no where. The best answer I got was from the video card manufacturer, saying that they've seen the reports, but that restarting the video driver is just a default behavior of Windows when it starts to run into various issue. Another thing I found was regarding the disabling of HPET (high precision event timer) in the bios. I've done that and it has improved a great deal, but still occasionally restarts the video drive (causing the black flicker issue). FYI, this is all exactly the same hardware I ran under XP without any issues.

Another annoyance is that copy files to a remote server it's ridiculously slow to start. It goes through this stupid "calculation" that takes forever. Most of the time it takes longer than actually copying the files. Whatever it's doing is really stupid and the developers should be taken out back and shot.

Was nice to see the inclusion of the Snipping Tool (capture screen shots, where you can specify an area instead of the whole screen) is really nice (I'm a SnagIt fan), but like typical Microsoft, they don't go that extra step to make it really useful like automatically binding it to a key press combination like every other vendor out there does. I had to write my own utility to do that so it runs it when you press print screen twice. I just need to fix an issue when you have multiple monitors and then I'll release it.

I have more, but it's late so I'll post more later.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Windows 7 experience

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I have had a few instances where my screen will freeze while playing WoW. I never had that before. I assumed it was a video driver issue and I needed to update the driver anyhow. I haven't been able to give it much of a test since I updated though.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I used to have that problem with the video driver restarting... turned out to be a dying video card.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

We had that video driver restarting issue in a few HP laptops we had with an ati chipset. Turns out the problem is with the chipset itself. The only solution we found was to turn off Aero. One my my co-workers did that. I just dealt with the black screens.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I installed 64-bit Home Premium or whatever last week. I like it, but still have one issue...

Basically, I lose my internet connection frequently. I resolve the problem by turning off IPv4, turning on IPv6, saving....THEN turning on IPv4 and turning off IPv6. This is my only workaround at this point. It is very annoying.

I have turned off all power management features, including those set from the nVidia control panel. Sometimes it even boots up without internet connectivity and I have to go through the turning off and on of IP protocols all over again.

NIC is built in to EVGA 790i ULTRA mobo... drivers are all updated per EVGA.

Anyone else having this problem?
en kærlighed småkager
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

No, but I can tell you have IPv6 disabled as well, probably read about issues with it somewhere.

As for my driver restart issue, I've had an open ticket with XFX. I just told them I've tried everything, even on different computers and it still happens. I had another ticket open regarding video playback issues, so I'm thinking that the card may have been defective all along and have asked for a replacement. The warranty expires in like another month. Lets hope a replacement fixes my issue.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Running Home Premium 64, no problems at all, everything works. Sadly enough that far exceeded my expectation for it.

Somewhat snappier than XP-64 was, though that may just be due to a clean install after ~3 years of abuse to the old build.

It's worth the $40 I paid for it, that's about it though. If they hadn't done the pre-order sale I'd have stayed with XP.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

Also running Win7 Premuim home 64, no issues except alt tabbing out from WoW its OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS slower than with vista 64 for some reason.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Also running Win7 Premuim home 64, no issues except alt tabbing out from WoW its OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS slower than with vista 64 for some reason.
Alt tabbing? 4 words. Windowed Mode + Second Monitor :)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Even with two 24" monitors I Alt-Tab all the time. But I'm on XP so no worries.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I always window my games now. Never full screen if I can help it.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

The downside to running games in Windowed Mode is that your computer has to redraw the game and your desktop (and anything that's on it). I notice that I lose about 10-25fps when I play games in Windowed Mode.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

valryte wrote:stupid "calculation" that takes forever. Most of the time it takes longer than actually copying the files.
The single most annoying thing in Windows 7 by far. Luckily if you use Directory Opus, you don't have that problem anymore..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sargeras wrote:The downside to running games in Windowed Mode is that your computer has to redraw the game and your desktop (and anything that's on it). I notice that I lose about 10-25fps when I play games in Windowed Mode.
I suppose my PC is fast enough to not worry about that! I even window the games on the non primary monitor which usually gives another hit to performance. Brute force it with i7, 285, SSD!
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

The downside to running games in Windowed Mode is that your computer has to redraw the game and your desktop (and anything that's on it). I notice that I lose about 10-25fps when I play games in Windowed Mode.
My gawd, what 90s computer are you running that you actually notice an FPS lose when playing in windowed mode? :)

Looks like XFX is going to replace my video card. Bad news is, I have to ship it. Sigh, going to have to get a temporary replacement. Oh well, guess the temp replacement will let me know if it's the card or not.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I may have fixed my problem. I won't go into details yet because I just made the change one day before going out of town, but as soon as I get back I'll stress test the hell out of it and report my results, but yesterday looked very promising.
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

Winnow wrote:I always window my games now. Never full screen if I can help it.

I never had before windowed any game, but after trying it (and useing keyclone) im happy 3 boxing WoW again.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Canelek wrote:I installed 64-bit Home Premium or whatever last week. I like it, but still have one issue...

Basically, I lose my internet connection frequently. I resolve the problem by turning off IPv4, turning on IPv6, saving....THEN turning on IPv4 and turning off IPv6. This is my only workaround at this point. It is very annoying.

I have turned off all power management features, including those set from the nVidia control panel. Sometimes it even boots up without internet connectivity and I have to go through the turning off and on of IP protocols all over again.

So, this problem only happens when Windows starts. Once I mess with the IP v4/v6 switching, it is fine until I reboot. It does not drop until then. I still can't figure out why the protocol (v4) will not initialize properly at startup.
en kærlighed småkager
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

OK, looks like it's official. It's been about 3 days and the video driver restart has not happened once (normally it happens many times every day). It was the fucking jmicron drivers! I had my XP drives connected on the jmicron sata controller and the drivers are apparently shit on Windows 7. Running only with the Intel controller now. As soon as I disabled it and removed their crap the issue stopped happening. Guess I'll let XFX know for future reference.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

valryte wrote:OK, looks like it's official. It's been about 3 days and the video driver restart has not happened once (normally it happens many times every day). It was the fucking jmicron drivers! I had my XP drives connected on the jmicron sata controller and the drivers are apparently shit on Windows 7. Running only with the Intel controller now. As soon as I disabled it and removed their crap the issue stopped happening. Guess I'll let XFX know for future reference.

jmicron controllers have caused me all sorts of grief over the years. No matter what the platform...windows XP, Vista, linux, etc. Fuck jmicron...right in the ass!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Canelek wrote:
Canelek wrote:I installed 64-bit Home Premium or whatever last week. I like it, but still have one issue...

So, this problem only happens when Windows starts. Once I mess with the IP v4/v6 switching, it is fine until I reboot. It does not drop until then. I still can't figure out why the protocol (v4) will not initialize properly at startup.
Yay! Finally fixed! Dontcha know, it was fucking Apple that was causing issue. Bonjour, to be precise.

This is the service:
##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

Disabled it and all is well. Fuck you Apple! (not you, iPhone, I <3 you)
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:Disabled it and all is well. Fuck you Apple! (not you, iPhone, I <3 you)
You can't have it both ways!

--
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I swear, I have not even installed iTunes on my Windows 7 box (my music is so outdated). I is scared of Apple bloatware.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

valryte wrote:I swear, I have not even installed iTunes on my Windows 7 box (my music is so outdated). I is scared of Apple bloatware.
It's actually pretty easy to strip the bloat after you install itunes. I've done it so many times I could do it wiht my eyes closed.

The only problem is that the morons at Apple can't seem to grasp the concept of patching thier shitware. When there's an update, it uninstalls and reinstalls the entire fucking program... so all the shit/bloat that you have removed/disabled (qttask, bonjour service, ituneshelper, apple mobile device support service, software updater, etc) has to be removed and/or disabled every fucking time they release an update.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hate iTunes as a music manager but must use it for the ease of use in podcast and iphone app management.

iTunes hasn't caused any issues with my Windows 7 64 install. I have the french bonjour service installed as well due to some ophone apps using it to transfer documents (comics, pdfs, etc)

Even with my new iMac, I use my PC for iTunes. I have no idea if it would help to use the iMac instead and get iTunes off my main PC...probably more of a hassle with moving/installing cracked apps etc. PC is so much easier to use than the Mac (yes you fucking Mac sheep, the PC is easier and more efficient than a Mac if you have a clue)
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

It's actually pretty easy to strip the bloat after you install itunes. I've done it so many times I could do it wiht my eyes closed.
Sorry, but I'm talking about iTunes itself. It's gotten worse over time.

I've been using MGTEK dopisp (yeah, stupid name), on an XP box with Windows Media Player 11 and so far it's been great for managing the music on my wife's ipod. FYI, WMP 12 sucks ass as Microsoft decided to get rid of all the advanced tag editing that it had built in, but XP uses WMP 11. There's a post floating around that shows you how to get WMP 11 on Windows 7, but I haven't done it yet.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

valryte wrote:
Sorry, but I'm talking about iTunes itself. It's gotten worse over time.

I've been using MGTEK dopisp (yeah, stupid name), on an XP box with Windows Media Player 11 and so far it's been great for managing the music on my wife's ipod. FYI, WMP 12 sucks ass as Microsoft decided to get rid of all the advanced tag editing that it had built in, but XP uses WMP 11. There's a post floating around that shows you how to get WMP 11 on Windows 7, but I haven't done it yet.

you could try this:

http://www.rlslog.net/mediafour-xplay-v ... aker-core/

or maybe this:

http://www.rlslog.net/wide-angle-softwa ... v9-35-lz0/
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

After reading some old posts and searching around, I finally gave Media Monkey a try. Best music media manager I've tried. The shit just works.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

valryte wrote:After reading some old posts and searching around, I finally gave Media Monkey a try. Best music media manager I've tried. The shit just works.
You're welcome! :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Let's just say, hypothetically, that one were interested in checking out Windows 7 for him- or herself, but that it didn't fit in their budget right now. Would anyone else be able to point that hypothetical person in the right direction of what to SuperSearch for? This hypothetical person might have been burned by OS releases that had viruses or bad licenses in the past, and would greatly and hypothetically appreciate a solid, working copy (with as many bells and whistles as possible).

Please feel free to PM a hypothetical person with hypothetical search terms.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

you'd probably look for something like this for 64 bit:

http://www.rlslog.net/microsoft-windows ... m-dvd-bie/

or this for 32 bit:

http://www.rlslog.net/microsoft-windows ... m-dvd-bie/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sylvus wrote:Let's just say, hypothetically, that one were interested in checking out Windows 7 for him- or herself, but that it didn't fit in their budget right now. Would anyone else be able to point that hypothetical person in the right direction of what to SuperSearch for? This hypothetical person might have been burned by OS releases that had viruses or bad licenses in the past, and would greatly and hypothetically appreciate a solid, working copy (with as many bells and whistles as possible).

Please feel free to PM a hypothetical person with hypothetical search terms.
How did your hypothetical search pan out in the end?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ended up contacting a friend who works for Microsoft and being able to buy W7 Ultimate for like $50, so I went that route. I'm in the clear! :)

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If you know a student, you can get windows7 for like $30-$40
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:If you know a student, you can get windows7 for like $30-$40

Too bad my ex graduated from the University of Texas already...oh, and guess the fact she moved away and got married might make that one difficult too, huh?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:
miir wrote:If you know a student, you can get windows7 for like $30-$40

Too bad my ex graduated from the University of Texas already...oh, and guess the fact she moved away and got married might make that one difficult too, huh?
You'll never know unless you try...
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

They'd probably have less piracy, and make more money, if they made one version and priced it reasonable like $99 or something.

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Aslanna wrote:They'd probably have less piracy, and make more money, if they made one version and priced it reasonable like $99 or something.
I would have bought it in a heartbeat at $99. The $300ish pricetag for Ultimate (what can I say, I want all the bells and whistles, even if I don't need them) led me to consider piracy. I don't know if it's just me, but I think any piece of software over $100 is just too much for me to pay, personally. Adobe should do the same thing with their suite.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I could go with the Home Premium upgrade fairly cheap, but I am thinking that I want to go ahead and go with the 64-bit Ultimate version. The price is a definite factor, plus I am currently happy with my installs of Vista.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They had a number of versions at price points between 100-200 on release.

There's no fucking reason whatsoever to spend the extra $$ on Ulitmate unless you absolutely need MUI support, UNIX app support and drive encryption. Home Premium is probably the best version for you, and that was only $120 at release.

So you really have no reason to not run a legit copy of windows.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:I could go with the Home Premium upgrade fairly cheap, but I am thinking that I want to go ahead and go with the 64-bit Ultimate version. The price is a definite factor, plus I am currently happy with my installs of Vista.
Dude, there really is no reason to get Ultimate. Look at the feature set and you'll see that it's a total fucking ripoff.
The 'upgrade' versions can be used to do a fresh install.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

miir wrote:So you really have no reason to not run a legit copy of windows.
But I am running a legit copy of Windows! I still think it's overpriced. $99 is the sweet spot. Fortunately I knew someone that allowed me to get it for $50.

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:They had a number of versions at price points between 100-200 on release.
How is that helpful after release? As in... The present? Not very.
miir wrote:There's no fucking reason whatsoever to spend the extra $$ on Ulitmate unless you absolutely need MUI support, UNIX app support and drive encryption. Home Premium is probably the best version for you, and that was only $120 at release.
I'd require at least Professional due to their stupidity with Remote Desktop host ability. This can currently be had for $140 or something at Newegg.. Which isn't too bad but it's for the OEM version which has hassles of its own if you upgrade components and have to call them up to reactivate.
miir wrote:So you really have no reason to not run a legit copy of windows.
I do.. It costs too much. Not saying it's a good reason or not but it's a reason.

Anyway, I stand by my original point. More people would probably be inclined to purchase it if they didn't have so many versions and it was more reasonably priced.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I have a friend at Microsoft as well with the MS discount which is quite substantial as noted above. If I ever went legit, I'd go that route. Microsoft Employees have a certain amount per year that they can use on discounted software which is always much more than they need themselves.

I need remote desktop. That doesn't mean I need Ultimate but it also doesn't mean I want to wade through the differences of the lessor versions and find out later there's some small thing I wanted to use that wasn't part of the "package".

Ultimate at 100.00 would be a nice buy for the masses.
Last edited by Winnow on March 24, 2010, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I could go with the Home Premium upgrade fairly cheap, but I am thinking that I want to go ahead and go with the 64-bit Ultimate version. The price is a definite factor, plus I am currently happy with my installs of Vista.
Dude, there really is no reason to get Ultimate. Look at the feature set and you'll see that it's a total fucking ripoff.
The 'upgrade' versions can be used to do a fresh install.
Home Premium is good enough for me. Ultimate 64-bit would be a "if it fell in my lap" purchase. I am not holding out for either because I am happy with my Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate machines :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:They'd probably have less piracy, and make more money, if they made one version and priced it reasonable like $99 or something.
Totally agree. Even if they had multiple versions that were priced reasonably.

That being said I got Ultimate, but it wasn't much money to upgrade to it through Dell so I figured why not.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote: I do.. It costs too much.
10¢ a day for an operating system that you'll be using daily for the next 3-4 years is too much?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
Aslanna wrote: I do.. It costs too much.
10¢ a day for an operating system that you'll be using daily for the next 3-4 years is too much?
Yes. Because you can't look t it that way. Perhaps if MS did microtransactions and charged you 10 cents a day you could. But you have to look at the initial upfront total cost. Whatever I know you dont agree with me even though three people have. Therefore the statistics are in my favor and you're WRONG! Moving on.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You're not seeing the big picture!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

If you bought it on the cheapo pre-orders it was a decent price. Retail is just stupid, I'd stay with XP until something forced me off had I not gotten it for $40.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."