New monitor - input needed!

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

New monitor - input needed!

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I'm shopping for a new monitor, and I'm having a hard time deciding. Price is definitely an issue, and I'm having a few problems finding something that satisfies my criteria:
HDMI in
DVI
preferably a few USB ports
22" + size

It seems that the manufacturers have gone away from the USB-hub craze, or am I just looking at the wrong stuff? So far, it looks like something like the ASUS VW246H Black 24", Acer X233Hbid Black 23", ASUS VH236HL-P Black 23" or possibly the SAMSUNG P2370HD Black 23", although I'm not sure I need the tv tuner on that last one. None of these have USB ports, though, so I'm guessing I might have to add some clutter with a hub on my desk?

Any input you might have is very welcome!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: New monitor - input needed!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not sure what your range is.. And I'm not a big fan of USB ports on monitors, but look into the Dells and see if there is anything in your price range. The 2409WFP (although probably a new model coming out in a few months) ticks all the listed boxes but can frequently be found for around $400.

Panel type is important so if you can don't just decide by price alone. After all this is something you'll be staring at for hours everyday. Not an area you should skimp on!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Should have said - all those monitors listed are in the sub-$300 range. And I'm working with some fairly long cables and a huge fucking desk, so my case will be out of easy reach for me. I use the usb ports a lot for memory sticks and my portable soundcard, so it'd be a huge boon not to have to hassle with that...

I've also been looking at the Samsung T240 - anyone have any experience there?
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, the lower price range is all TN panels, and they are all pretty much shit quality...as in, dead pixels out of the box are not uncommon nowadays it seems. The color reproduction on TN's has vastly improved. Light bleed on the vast majority of inexpensive larger monitors is all a huge problem that no manufacturer spends time on to make it "good"...or acceptable IMO.

But anyways. Go with the company/store with the best return policy. I would suggest if you want the best TN monitor that money can buy, go with Benq (especially at the $300 range). They still make them at the proper resolution for a monitor too 1920x1200.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I checked the Dells and jesus CHRIST there's a markup on Dell monitors here. On the Danish Dell website, the 2408WFP clocks in at $US 975 - and I can get the Samsung T240 for $US 383 - that's "only" 70 bucks more than the US price. Specs look damn nice on the Dell though, but at that price it's so far out of the range of my pocket.

I can get Samsung with a 3 year warranty and 30 day return, no questions asked - so I'm pondering getting the T240 and returning it if there're any dead pixels. BenQ I can only get from online retailers of somewhat questionable repute, so they've sorta gone to the bottom of the pile.