Prince Caspian (Narnia)

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Prince Caspian (Narnia)

Post by Winnow »

Not bad. Liked it better than the first one. There's a lot more action and it's darker.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician’s Nephew
The Last Battle

Of the Narnia books, I recall Prince Caspian the least so I have no idea how well the movie follows it.

I enjoyed Voyage of the Dawn Treader the most so hopefully they make that one a movie. Reepicheep (the mouse) plays a big part in it!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Prince Caspian (Narnia)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I still want to see this one. You have those books out of order, btw - and they are also doing the movies out of order (or at least they skipped the first book) and I'm not sure why. It kind of annoys me, though.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe wasn't the first book? I could have sworn it was the first when I read them a while back.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Publication order
Prince Caspian
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Chronological order
The Magician's Nephew
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

It appears they're following publication order.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aardor wrote:Publication order
Prince Caspian
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Chronological order
The Magician's Nephew
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

It appears they're following publication order.
Now I know, but I still think they should be following chronological order..
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I agree, I don't see the reason to follow chronological order. Winnow, I think they have planned to make a movie for each book, each a few years apart from the last. I need to reread these books, can't remember what happens in half of them.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I don't think they're planning on making all the movies. For instance, book 6 is just about how Aslan created Narnia, a bible if you will. It's not exactly movie material, it's more like the Silmarillion.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I had a hard time getting into the first movie. I haven't watched it agin since it came out on DVD. I thought several parts were rushed. I hate to sound like satan, but all the christ ovetones were riding my last nerve. I'll buy this one when it hits DVD, perhaps rewatching the first one before the second. Maybe it will grow on me like Harry Potter did.

It's had a rather weak run in the box office so far, only making 98 of it's 200 million dollar budget in it's second weekend. I don't recall seeing a huge amount of advertising for it either.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on May 28, 2008, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe & Prince Caspian were filmed in this order because of all the books they were the only two that had all four original kids (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy Pevensie).
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sargeras wrote:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe & Prince Caspian were filmed in this order because of all the books they were the only two that had all four original kids (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy Pevensie).
That actually fits I guess. They could still get around the issue but it wouldn't be easy or cost efficient most likely.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Wow, I never noticed any Christ overtones. I'll have to rewatch it to see if I can find them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Wow, I never noticed any Christ overtones. I'll have to rewatch it to see if I can find them.
You serious?

The whole series of books were written to make religion more appealing to children. Aslan is supposed to be jesus, and refers to himself as such at the end of the last book.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Even though I have heard many times that this was the focus of the books, it did not come across to me that way when I read them early on or even in watching the first movie. To me, it seemed like a person would have to be specifically looking for something like this to feel that it did.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Even though I have heard many times that this was the focus of the books, it did not come across to me that way when I read them early on or even in watching the first movie. To me, it seemed like a person would have to be specifically looking for something like this to feel that it did.
So Aslan being sacrificed on the altar for the boys sin and then coming back to life doesn't strike you as a little jesus-esque? Like I said, Aslan flat out says he is jesus at the end of the last book, so I don't really see where there would be any debate.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Even though I have heard many times that this was the focus of the books, it did not come across to me that way when I read them early on or even in watching the first movie. To me, it seemed like a person would have to be specifically looking for something like this to feel that it did.
So Aslan being sacrificed on the altar for the boys sin and then coming back to life doesn't strike you as a little jesus-esque? Like I said, Aslan flat out says he is jesus at the end of the last book, so I don't really see where there would be any debate.
Nope. Many people have said they were Jesus...that did not make it true, did it?

*edit* Bold indicates opinion, and no matter how "superior" you might feel today, you cannot "debate" it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Nope. Many people have said they were Jesus...that did not make it true, did it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10/10 for humor-factor.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:So Aslan being sacrificed on the altar for the boys sin and then coming back to life doesn't strike you as a little jesus-esque? Like I said, Aslan flat out says he is jesus at the end of the last book, so I don't really see where there would be any debate.
In the Last Battle he does?

Been a long time since I read the whole series, but I don't recall him ever saying he is Jesus.

I'm with Boogahz on this one, without going into it *knowing* that CS Lewis was a Christian, I don't think it's overtly Jesusy. It seems more like a nice fantasy story. Gandalf the Gray sacrificed himself and then came back...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:So Aslan being sacrificed on the altar for the boys sin and then coming back to life doesn't strike you as a little jesus-esque? Like I said, Aslan flat out says he is jesus at the end of the last book, so I don't really see where there would be any debate.
In the Last Battle he does?

Been a long time since I read the whole series, but I don't recall him ever saying he is Jesus.

I'm with Boogahz on this one, without going into it *knowing* that CS Lewis was a Christian, I don't think it's overtly Jesusy. It seems more like a nice fantasy story. Gandalf the Gray sacrificed himself and then came back...
Yes, he tells them that they all died in a train accident, that narnia is heaven to them, and he is jesus. It's spelled right out at the end.

Edit: I have the books at home, I will quote the part I am speaking of later tonight when I have a chance.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This isn't all of what I was looking for, but most of it (the last two pages of the last book, so don't read it if you don't want it spoiled):
Why! exclaimed Peter. "It's England. And that's the house itself- Professor Kirke's old home in the country where all our adventures began!"

"I thought that house had been destroyed," said Edmund.

"So it was," said the Faun. "But you are now looking at the England within England, the real England just as this is the real Narnia. And in that inner England no good thing is destroyed."

Suddenly they shifted their eyes to another spot, and then Peter and Edmund and Lucy gasped with amazement and shouted out and began waving: for there they saw their own father and mother, waving back at them across the great, deep valley. It was like when you see people waving at you from the deck of a big ship when you are waiting on the quay to meet them.

"How can we get at them?" said Lucy.

"That is easy," said Mr Tumnus. "That country and this country - all the real countries - are only spurs jutting out from the great mountains of Aslan. We have only to walk along the ridge, upward and inward, till it joins on. And listen! There is King Frank's horn: we must all go up."

And soon they found themselves all walking together - and a great, bright procession it was - up towards mountains higher than you could see in this world even if they were there to be seen. But there was no snow on those mountains: there were forests and green slopes and sweet orchards and flashing waterfalls, one above the other, going up for ever. And the land they were walking on grew narrower all the time, with a deep valley on each side: and across that valley the land which was the real England grew nearer and nearer.

The light ahead was growing stronger. Lucy saw that a great series of many-coloured cliffs led up in front of them like a giant's staircase. And then she forgot everything else, b ecause Aslan himself was coming, leaping down from cliff to cliff like a living cataract of power and beauty.

And the very first person whom Aslan called to him was puzzle the Donkey. You never saw a donkey look feebler and sillier than Puzzle did as he walked up to Aslan, and he looked, beside Aslan, as small as a kitten looks beside a St Bernard. The Lion bowed down his head and whispered something to Puzzle at which his long ears went down, but then he said something else at which the ears perked up again. The humans couldn't hear what he had said either time.

Then Aslan turned to them and said: "You do not yet look so happy as I mean you to be."
Lucy said, "We're so afraid of being sent away, Aslan. And you have sent us back into our own world so often."

"No fear of that," said Aslan. "Have you not guessed?"
Their hearts leapt, and a wild hope rose within them.

"There was a real railway accident," said Aslan softly. "Your father and mother and all of you are - as you used to call it in the shadowlands - dead. The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this ist he morning."

And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on each has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.
Now while it doesn't spell it right out for you, I think that about sums it up. And that's only if: Aslan creating worlds and everything in them out of nothing, coming back to life after dying for the sins of his people, and many other things didn't tip you off before the end of the last book :)

I also think that the punctuation alone is kind of telling.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sylvus wrote:without going into it *knowing* that CS Lewis was a Christian, I don't think it's overtly Jesusy. It seems more like a nice fantasy story. Gandalf the Gray sacrificed himself and then came back...
Comparing Gandulf's sacrifice to Aslan's resurrection is apples and oranges. Where one might be able to bridge a semi-comparison between Gandulf and Christ, Aslan's scenerio is a smack-you-in-the-face, paint by number allegory for the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. That's one of the things I didn't like about the movie. There is something to be said for a subtle undercurrent in films. I tend to not like it when movies overstate the obvious. It's insulting. I guess this was meant for children, so I can forgive some of the obviousness.

You must have forgotten what a long and drawn out sequence this was in the movie. The whole point was driving home Aslan's martyrdom. He willingly humiliates himself and dies for Edmund's sin. Once he is resurrected, there is even an earthquake. This entire sequence might well be the driving force and point of the movie itself.

I have no idea how anyone could miss the absolute direct and obvious comparison to Jesus. It was written and made for children to see the correlation!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Sylvus wrote:without going into it *knowing* that CS Lewis was a Christian, I don't think it's overtly Jesusy. It seems more like a nice fantasy story. Gandalf the Gray sacrificed himself and then came back...
Comparing Gandulf's sacrifice to Aslan's resurrection is apples and oranges. Where one might be able to bridge a semi-comparison between Gandulf and Christ, Aslan's scenerio is a smack-you-in-the-face, paint by number allegory for the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. That's one of the things I didn't like about the movie. There is something to be said for a subtle undercurrent in films. I tend to not like it when movies overstate the obvious. It's insulting. I guess this was meant for children, so I can forgive some of the obviousness.

You must have forgotten what a long and drawn out sequence this was in the movie. The whole point was driving home Aslan's martyrdom. He willingly humiliates himself and dies for Edmund's sin. Once he is resurrected, there is even an earthquake. This entire sequence might well be the driving force and point of the movie itself.

I have no idea how anyone could miss the absolute direct and obvious comparison to Jesus. It was written and made for children to see the correlation!
Good to hear someone else agree, I thought maybe I had gone completely batshit or something, cause it's always been obvious to me.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

So... about this movie, "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian". The sequel, you know. The subject of the thread before it got drawn into OMG Jesus references turn me off!!.

Is it any good? The trailer I saw at Iron Man made it look pretty epic.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ashur wrote:So... about this movie, "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian". The sequel, you know. The subject of the thread before it got drawn into OMG Jesus references turn me off!!.

Is it any good? The trailer I saw at Iron Man made it look pretty epic.
The thread wasn't really derailed... Everyone was still talking about the story you are asking about :D
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

No, they were debating the Christian themes in the written series and in the first movie.

The only thing in this thread said about the actual movie was in the original post.
Not bad. Liked it better than the first one. There's a lot more action and it's darker.
Anyone else who's seen it have any additional observations or feedback, because it looked pretty cool from the trailer.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

My apologies, Ash... (no, haven't seen the new one)
Fairweather Pure wrote:I have no idea how anyone could miss the absolute direct and obvious comparison to Jesus. It was written and made for children to see the correlation!
I guess I didn't phrase it that well. I'm quite familiar with the story of Jesus, and what CS Lewis was trying to do with the book. I'm just saying that it didn't seem particularly preachy or anything, and if you weren't familiar with the story of Jesus I don't think you'd feel like he was proselytizing or anything. Just that it was a nice fantasy story.

I'm not at all religious, dislike people trying to convert others, and didn't really have any problems with the first movie.

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

np Funk/Sylvus - I don't mind the debate, I'm just looking for feedback on the movie - I suppose I could go to a movie review site, but I am already a regular here.:)

I am just hoping to check out a few movies this summer and I'm kind of debating this film versus Indiana Jones in the next week or two. IJ4 looks meh, but the trailer for Prince Caspian was pretty awesome looking with battles of fantastic creatures.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ashur wrote:np Funk/Sylvus - I don't mind the debate, I'm just looking for feedback on the movie - I suppose I could go to a movie review site, but I am already a regular here.:)

I am just hoping to check out a few movies this summer and I'm kind of debating this film versus Indiana Jones in the next week or two. IJ4 looks meh, but the trailer for Prince Caspian was pretty awesome looking with battles of fantastic creatures.
I haven't seen either one, but I would definitely say go for this one over IJ.. I'm gonna go see it this weekend I think, I'll let you know what I think of it.
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

Saw Narnia and I loved it. It was much better for me than IJ4. I'd recommend seeing this movie. I wasn't overwhelmed with religion. I just watched all the action and enjoyed the story.
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I know there is some jesus in this movie, but I swear, you can't taste it!
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Canelek wrote:I know there is some jesus in this movie, but I swear, you can't taste it!
lol

Go Blue!
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

I read the books when I was 11 or 12, and I never picked up on any Jesus references, I just thought of it as fantasy. My favorite book was A Horse and His Boy. They may spark some Muslim outrage when they make that one.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I only read them a few years ago. That was my favorite of the bunch too. :)
- Ash