Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Iron Man photo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/3533.asp

I saw these posted the other day and thought I would share.

It looks like the Alpha suit. Perhaps just a background set piece to show the evolution of Stark's idea?

Dosen't look too bad. By bad, I mean "it looks like a power rangers outfit" bad. If they can pull off a decent looking "guy in a metal suit" without it looking stupid, I will be impressed.

So far, the coolest movie robot of all time is still Maximus from Walt Disney's "The Black Hole"!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Looks like they're sticking to the comic book origins pretty faithfully, to which I say "fuck yeah!"

At least it can't be any worse than Steel.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think that grey suit is from a flashback scene. A more updated suit will be used for most of the movie.

This is old news if you had watched the geeky Pulp Secret videocast last week!

http://www.pulpsecret.com/
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Re: Iron Man photo

Post by Dregor Thule »

Fairweather Pure wrote:So far, the coolest movie robot of all time is still Maximus from Walt Disney's "The Black Hole"!
I think you mean MAXIMILLIAN! And yes, he left quite the impression on me as a little kid. I remember having a puzzle of him.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

The rumor I heard is that Tony Stark makes this suit while imprisoned by terrorists who force him to make weapons. He uses scraps and weapon parts to gradually build the suit and fight his way out, which is why it looks so clunky and thrown together. No idea where this idea came from, but sounds fairly plausible to me.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

That's pretty much the original story line if i remember correctly. It was Vietnam back then, today it will be Afghanistan...go figure.

Anyway, during his time as a POW Tony discovers a plot to kill the American President and he rebuilds the suit after his escape back to America to use to disrupt the plot.

At some point I think there was something about the chestplate keeping his ailing heart going, but that may have been later in the series. I'm working from memory about comic books I ready a few decades ago:(.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dregor Thule wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:So far, the coolest movie robot of all time is still Maximus from Walt Disney's "The Black Hole"!
I think you mean MAXIMILLIAN! And yes, he left quite the impression on me as a little kid. I remember having a puzzle of him.
I did!

It was a fast post as I was running out the door. My inner geek is very sorry for the mistake.
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

From what I remember of the original story Stark was in Vietnam working on some form of powered armor for troops when he was hit by an IED in the bush. A piece of shrapnel hit him in the chest and either lodged near his heart or injured it in some way. He originally just created a chestplate of sorts to keep his heart working but as the evil Vietnamese guy forces him to make weapons or something he creates the full armor suit with the help of an old Asian guy who I forget the name of. He eventually escapes using the suit but the old guy dies during the process to help him get away.
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

If i didn't see it, i'd never believe it!

Downey JR doing a "300" getting in shape for IronMan :D

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... htm?csp=34

For his part, Downey is trying to become an iron man. At 42, he lifts weights five days a week and practices martial arts to get in shape to play the hard-bodied Stark, an arms manufacturer who uses his ultimate weapon, a jet-powered, missile-launching suit of armor, to fight evil.

Props to Downey JR's willpower! This must not be easy for someone like him (being addicted to drugs etc). Downey JR normally/usually looks like he never trained in his entire life.

A change of lifestyle!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Gnomies
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gnomies »

They filmed the 'airport scenes' here at my base, Edwards AFB. It was pretty cool to be apart of :) They also did Transformers here!
Props to Downey JR's willpower! This must not be easy for someone like him (being addicted to drugs etc). Downey JR normally/usually looks like he never trained in his entire life.
He had his own personal workout trailer on set. I got a chance to see inside of it, pretty neat :)
Gnomies Tinkerbeans~
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

That looks a lot like Iron Man.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sylvus wrote:That looks a lot like Iron Man.
Did the picture actually work or is it an X and you're being a smartass? HMMM!?!?

If it worked, then yes, it does!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Worked for me!

You should move to the free world, you red bastard!

Go Blue!
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

I agree
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I do believe, with the CGI of today, that this movie will do justice to IronMan and all the actionscenes.

He will prolly fly around and blast alott.

The Tony Stark-scenes though, that's where it will make or break. :)

Question is, will there be any Supervillain in this movie or just normal enemies and if we get a villain, who will it be?

Rhino? Mandarin? Grey Gargoyle?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Question is, will there be any Supervillain in this movie or just normal enemies and if we get a villain, who will it be?

Rhino? Mandarin? Grey Gargoyle?
It kind of sounded like a buildup to Mandarin to me, but I haven't read anything on the production in a while...
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Well this Iron-man chap certainly seems quite of a bad ass dude
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:Well this Iron-man chap certainly seems quite of a bad ass dude
You bet, one o' the first "Tank-Mages" in Marvel, being able to benchpress monster weights, fly and fire energyblasts of epic proportions when needed.

Very imba! What is it he cannot do?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

All this Iron Man news is bringing back nostalgia over the only other iron man!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sionistic wrote:All this Iron Man news is bringing back nostalgia over the only other iron man!
Ah, the cop... :wink:
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/

Can see the trailer from comic con there, better watch it while you can, the studio is clamping down on these videos!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Out of all the movies shown at the Comicon, this was the only one to get a standing ovation. I think it looks like a lot of fun. I think they're going to do the comic justice.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

The trailer shown at comicon was badass and has made me really want to see this movie. There is an animated ironman that was released in like April of this year that I grabbed this morning. Going to watch it tonight and I've read all the ironman comics I can find online, but they seem to be updated stories recently released. I haven't really found any of the original ironman comics that I read back in the day.

Winnow!!! Front and Center, POST! Get out there and find me some original ironman!!!!

thanke, sirrah.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Neost wrote:
Winnow!!! Front and Center, POST! Get out there and find me some original ironman!!!!

thanke, sirrah.

Romita Jr/Bob Layton are the best pen/ink combo for classic Iron Man comics. I'll see if I can find some later this week!

What's with the form fitting metal that shows every detail of his muscles though!?
1978-1982: THE MICHELINIE / ROMITAjr / LAYTON RUN

This new era is considered by many fans to be the Golden Age of Iron Man. Writer David Michelinie, penciller John Romita Jr and inker Bob Layton are first united in issue 116 of the IM series. The three men are masters of their respective trades and their combined efforts give astounding results. The stories become deeper and more mature and the art shines like the hero's metallic armor. The team offers us a Tony Stark more human and realistic than ever before, a man whose worst enemy is no longer a powerful costumed villain but something even more destructive and that much harder to defeat: alcoholism.

An entire cast of supportive characters is also introduced. They are Tony Stark's friends and employees: Stark's new love interest, the beautiful Bethany Cabe (issue 117), the director of Stark International's European operations, Yvette Avril (issue 119) and Stark's personal pilot and best friend, Jim Rhodes (issue 118).

Among the most important events of this period, aside from Stark's epic battle against alcoholism which culminated in issue 128, was S.H.I.E.L.D.'s attempt to take over Stark International (issues 118-119), the introduction of two of Stark's greatest business rivals and enemies; Roxxon Oil (issue 121) and Justin Hammer (issue 124), Iron Man's earthshaking battle with the Incredible Hulk (issues 131-133) and the time travelling adventure which pitted him against Doctor Doom and Morgan Le Fay (issues 149-150), to name but a few. Readers are also treated to Iron Man's first specialized armors, perfectly adapted to the requirements of specific missions; the space armor (issues 142-144) and the stealth armor (issue 152).
Interesting that S.H.I.E.L.D. tried to take over Stark International back then and now Tony Stark Runs S.H.I.E.L.D.

Iron Man getting high with Jim Rohdes!

Robert Downer Jr's looking like a better and better cast for the part!

Edit: fixed image
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I didn't see the official Trailer posted anywhere else. Apologizes if I missed it and it's a repost.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount ... ailer.html
- Ash
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Didn't think so before, but Downey works well as Tony Stark.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Looks like a fun one!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.myspace.com/trailerpark

Looking better and better IMO. It's going to be a fun flick!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This movie is being reviewed well by the critics.

Hopefully it's a winner!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/w ... an_trailer

the onion: iron man trailer to be made into full movie. :D
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I think I'm the only one who thinks this movie is going to be so over hollywoodified that it'll be rediculous and cheesy.

Then again, I really don't like any of Marvel's adaptation movies outside of the first Xmen and Spider Man movies that I can think of. (not liking is putting it nicely. I thought they all blew balls tbh)

I'm not trying to shit on this movie preemptively, or say you're all retarded for being excited about it. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this way.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I'm thinking this might be one of the few they got right. The main reason is the casting of Downey as Stark. Where does one end and the next begin? Scary...

Plus, if any Marvel character would be "Hollywood," I would put Tony Stark/Iron Man in that category...after WonderMan of course :P
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Truant wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this way.
I rarely have high expectations for comic book movies. When I found out who was going to play Iron Man, I did get a little excited.

However, after a years worth of previews and publicity, I've lost all interest.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Truant wrote:I think I'm the only one who thinks this movie is going to be so over hollywoodified that it'll be rediculous and cheesy.

Then again, I really don't like any of Marvel's adaptation movies outside of the first Xmen and Spider Man movies that I can think of. (not liking is putting it nicely. I thought they all blew balls tbh)

I'm not trying to shit on this movie preemptively, or say you're all retarded for being excited about it. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this way.
I feel pretty much the same except for maybe X-Men 2 was okay (haven't even bothered to see the 3rd movie). Spiderman 2 was meh, and I couldn't stand Spiderman 3. I don't have high hopes for this movie, but I do want to see it at the theater because I like Downey Jr quite a bit! Also, I'm not a huge hulk fan, but Ed Norton is pretty damn good so maybe it will be better than the last one...I'll miss Jennifer Connelly tho :)
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Saw some previews I had not seen, looked pretty freakin good
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.originalalamo.com/default.as ... d=5/3/2008
Iron Man Happy Hour at the Ritz!

I'm still riding a cinematic high after seeing the sneak preview of IRON MAN at the Alamo last night. I can attest that this movie is nothing short of brilliant. IRON MAN is one of the all-time greatest comic adaptations, and the lynchpin of that perfection is Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. His portrayal of the booze-addled genius tycoon Tony Stark is spot-on, and the number of cocktails in the first 15 minutes of the film will make your head woozy from the contact high.

Because this film issues in the summer blockbuster season with a cocktail firmly in hand, we feel that it is appropriate to announce our programming decision to provide "happy hour" shows for summer blockbusters at the Ritz. We're adjusting our showtimes, starting with IRON MAN to include a screening at about 5:40 PM. Swing by the Ritz after work and enjoy discount admission to the movie as well as $3.99 Frozen Margaritas and $2 Tecate and Lone Star plus a rotating menu of movie-themed cocktail specials. For Iron Man, we'll feature a premium Glenmorangie Scotch tasting flight, a Whiskey Sour special (Stark's comic book drink of choice) and Scotch on the rocks (his cinematic cocktail of choice). Up next on the horizon, happy hour with SEX AND THE CITY, and yes their signature pink Cosmos will be on special.

The Alamo Ritz - we're your new happy hour bar!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A lady on the radio saw Iron Man last night but wasn't allowed to review it yet. All she said was it deserves to make a boatload of money. That's a good sign I guess.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Movie blog says to stick around for the end credits after the Iron Man movie.

Things are still pointing toward this being a good hero movie you naysayers!

MMM
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some initial reactions:
I watched it in the cinema this evening. This is the best comic to film conversion so far. It’s funny and the special effects are amazing. It just pushed past Spider-Man 2.1 and X-Men 1/2 in terms of enjoyment.
We got passes to screener for this and after a day from hell, i did not want to go, but the wife drug me to it, and i must say, it is the coolest F#%&ing super hero movie i have ever seen, I had a hard time picturing Robert Downey Jr pulling this off, but he absolutley does, if you have any interest in this film, do yourself the favor and go to a theatre. I know its rediculously priced, but eat before you go, you will be on the edge of your seat!!!
Just came from the cinema. This movie is worth going to the cinema. This is the best comic to movies adaptation so far, R. Downey Jr was born to play Tony Stark
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Downey, Jr. is fucking awesome in this. Go see it.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I liked it.

I'd place it in the vicinity of the best Marvel movies: X-Men, Spiderman, Iron Man

Downey Jr does a good job. 2nd Half picks up the pace. Would like to have seen just a little more action/villains but what you do see is done well.

Favorite lines:

Remember me?

Sure don't.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Critically IM is killing. 95% fresh rating on rottentomates, and that's counting 131 reviews. That's crazy good! I may have to go see this.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I saw this at lunch today. Two Ashur thumbs up!

STAY AFTER THE CREDITS, THERE IS A POST-CREDITS SCENE YOU WILL WANT TO SEE
- Ash
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I think I've found some previously lost interest.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Just got back from the drafthouse, and I feel that they got it right. :P

Oh yeah, as mentioned above, stay for the scene after the credits :P
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This was a very, very fun movie. What a fantastic movie to start off the summer blockbuster season!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This is the most satisfying super hero movie ever. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it had an ending.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Great movie, highly recommended.
Ashur wrote:I saw this at lunch today. Two Ashur thumbs up!

STAY AFTER THE CREDITS, THERE IS A POST-CREDITS SCENE YOU WILL WANT TO SEE
I made a friend who isn't a big comic book nerd sit through the credits, and I don't know that she was too impressed by the final scene. I'm going to spoiler it below in case you don't want to spend 5 minutes of credits to see a very brief scene.

The post-credits scene:
[Show]
Tony Stark comes home, Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) is in his house. Comments on Stark saying "I am Iron Man". Mentions something about how there are other heroes, and specifically references (invites?) Iron Man into the Avengers
I hope that last bit becomes a movie!

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

[Show]
Don't forget the Commander Rhodes reference to using the second set of Iron Man armor "maybe next time." He's talked about wanting to play War Machine at some point in interviews too.