The 360 is taking a beating

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

The 360 is taking a beating

Post by miir »

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: The 360 is taking a beating

Post by Funkmasterr »

That doesn't seem super relevant to me, the sales for December for the 360 were huge and probably made up for the bad Jan. sales.

And if the defect rate thing strikes you as bad, it should say something that myself and many many other people would STILL rather have that than the PS3 even with the issues. So what, I spend 50 dollars on a warranty I would have bought either way and the only thing I have to deal with for 4 years is walking into best buy to swap it out if it breaks.. I'll take that any day over the sub par library of games on the PS3.

That being said, I am thinking about picking up a PS3 this summer sometime. I really would like to play Haze, Resistance 2 and Final Fantasy. However, even if I do decide to buy it I will still buy any cross platform games on the 360, the far superior xbox live and achievement points give it the edge by quite a bit for me.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

You'd also think by this point people are buying 2nd systems.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The PS3 game "Uncharted" is the PS3 version of Dead Rising (in impact, not game play). Another few months and there will be at least a couple intriguing games released and the PS3 will have two years to catch up on.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Well MS did claim on Wednesday that they were supply-constrained after the holidays. Damage Control and all that.

Did anyone NOT suspect that the PS3 would take over eventually? Also, how many people are now jumping on the PS3 now that Blu-Ray has won?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

It's not just damage control, the 360, in January, had a lull between selling out their holiday inventory and getting the non-holiday versions in stock. I know because I was searching for a 175w pro most of January and was unsuccessful. I picked up my system about a week and a half ago, the first time i saw it in stores.
If they don't beat the ps3 in Feb's numbers, I'd say good for them, but 39,000 units isn't exactly a "beating".
For what it's worth, my 360 runs really well and remains nice and cool even after significant use.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I beat it to my 360.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Janx wrote:You'd also think by this point people are buying 2nd systems.
I agree with this reasoning.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Janx wrote:You'd also think by this point people are buying 2nd systems.
I agree with this reasoning.
Yeah that sounds right to me too, I'm thinking about grabbing a POS3 for the 3 or 4 (exclusive) games coming out for it this year myself.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Looks like the PS3 is gonna outsell the 360 for Feb.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

People aren't really delusional enough to think the PS3 is ever going to surpass the 360 are they?

Even if it does, it will have absolutely nothing to do with the gaming aspect and all to do with it being a cheap BLU RAY player.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The PS3 will overpass the 360. They have the momentum in Japan and Europe at the moment and they're building momentum in the US. There's also no doubt that the last 2 months of PS3 momentum in the US have been completely fueled by Blu-Ray. That was a HUGE win for Sony. The games lineup will also help them a lot this year.

I think the MS pricecut in europe this week will help MS(The arcade is actually cheaper than the Wii over there now) but I don't think they'll overtake Sony.

The only way that MS can stave off me buying a PS3 in the next year or so would be to offer an inexpensive Blu-Ray add-on before I get the funds for a PS3.

I'm looking at a PS3 for the exclusives and Blu personally. It's the only safe bet for a player at the moment. Any multi-plat titles I would get on the 360 cause I like Microsoft's gaming ecosystem better.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:The PS3 will overpass the 360. They have the momentum in Japan and Europe at the moment and they're building momentum in the US. There's also no doubt that the last 2 months of PS3 momentum in the US have been completely fueled by Blu-Ray. That was a HUGE win for Sony. The games lineup will also help them a lot this year.

I think the MS pricecut in europe this week will help MS(The arcade is actually cheaper than the Wii over there now) but I don't think they'll overtake Sony.

The only way that MS can stave off me buying a PS3 in the next year or so would be to offer an inexpensive Blu-Ray add-on before I get the funds for a PS3.

I'm looking at a PS3 for the exclusives and Blu personally. It's the only safe bet for a player at the moment. Any multi-plat titles I would get on the 360 cause I like Microsoft's gaming ecosystem better.
Totally agree. My point being that if the PS3 does pass the 360, people are going to construe that and say it's the better console when in fact it's mostly because of blu ray. The number of good exclusive games for the 360 is currently, and will still be at the end of this year, about 15X what the PS3 has. And that's not to mention how superior xbox live is to anything Sony will ever develop.

I will probably end up getting a PS3 for:
Metal Gear (im actually not even sure I want to play this)
Final Fantasy
Resistance 2
Haze
Killzone 2

Those are the only exclusives currently announced that I have any interest in, and I can say with 100% certainty that I will continue to buy any cross platform games on the 360 for the life of this round of consoles.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS3 still sits in my closet.

Microsoft is focused on digital downloads but I can see them adding both an internal Blu Ray player and an add-on. I don't get the Arcade and I never liked the 20GB HD version. With those two versions of the 360 console out in quantity, Microsoft has to offer a Blu Ray Add-On to keep a percentage of their base from buying a PS3.

The PS3 really sucks atm. Their UI is horrible. With that in mind, they are revamping the online store and Home should make things much more interesting when it comes out in a few months or so. Final Fantasy XIII is still the only game that really interests me.

The Blu Ray player has to be driving sales for the PS3. Take that away the the console would be a complete failure.

I'm not 100% behind the 360. The noise drives me crazy and the failure rate is atrocious. The # of good games, excellent Live, and achievements for those that like them, keep the 360 way above the PS3 as a gaming machine.

I would like a 360 console that's quiet, runs cool, 100GB+ HD, and has a Blu Ray built into it. I'd like to buy it before the holiday season this year.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The US numbers are in and the 360 narrowly avoided coming in last place.
It sold only 11.5k more than the PSP.

Nintendo DS - 587.6K units
Nintendo Wii - 432K units
PlayStation 2 - 351.8K units
PlayStation 3 - 280.8K units
Xbox 360 - 254.6K units
PlayStation Portable - 243.1K units

It still blows my mind how strong the PS2 sales continue to be.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I figures that the "supply-constrained" excuse was just that. However one of my co-workers today told me the tale that wednesday, he went around to a couple of Wal Marts/EB Games looking for a 360 and found none, opting for a PS3 in the end.

Regardless, a 24k unit difference isn't all that much at this point. Good job Sony.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Wonder when people will realize that most people are buying their 2nd or 3rd consoles by this point...
PS3 will be my next but OMG PS3 is outselling 360! ..Which a ton of people already have../sigh.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

360 is king. As Janx said, some peeps are buying a second system like I did for the hell of it. Controller sucks balls, still no decent online presence from Sony. GTA4 being held up because the SDK for the PS3 bites.

Blu Ray bitch! That's why the consoles are selling. People are buying a $4-500.00 movie player. It's not translating into additional game sales. The game attach rate for the PS3 is horrible.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace to surpass 360 sales by the end of the year.
The PS3 has been dominant in Asia and Europe for the past year. It was only a matter of time before the US market woke up and realised which is the better console.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace to surpass 360 sales by the end of the year.
The PS3 has been dominant in Asia and Europe for the past year. It was only a matter of time before the US market woke up and realised which is the better console.
Better console?

You know just as well as any of us that for consoles, what really matters is software. No one with their head screwed on their shoulders could even consider implying that the PS3 has better software than the 360. They don't now and they won't anytime in the future. The PS3 is getting a lot of sales because of JEW RAY and that has zero to do with which is the better VIDEO GAME console.

I have had some experience with the PS3, and to be honest the XBOX live experience alone (anyone that whines about paying 50 dollars a year is retarded on such a massive scale they aren't even worth the energy it would take me to respond) is so far beyond the PS3 or anything their gimp, gimmicky, pathetic home service could ever hope to be that it isn't even funny.

Like I've said before, I would never in a million years buy a game for the PS3 that I could buy on the 360, and I think a good majority of people that own or will own both consoles feel the same, and that's what really matters, not the numbers - and the japenese numbers certainly don't mean a damn thing to me considering the best selling games there are corny anime games that aren't worth the money it would cost to rent them.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Trendy does not equal good. Much like WoW vs EQ.....you can have the masses and I will stick with the better product for gameplay.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

The best console is the one that brings you the most enjoyment.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace to surpass 360 sales by the end of the year.

:?

Better console? There are still not enough PS3 exclusives for me to want to buy one, especially since they removed the ability to play PS2 games. Over the holidays, and after the commitments to BluRay, I would hear people in the stores constantly saying something like "well, we can get the PS3 for less than that other player, and you can go online with it." That perception will boost sales numbers, but it does not make it a better console.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Nice bait, Miir.. plenty of fishies.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Fash wrote:Nice bait, Miir.. plenty of fishies.
What's exactly what I was thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Miir even owns one of the current gen consoles at all anyways.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

As an aside, Funk: please play another game ASAP to get Karaoke Revolution: American Idol off your gamercard plzthx.
Last edited by Animalor on March 17, 2008, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Animalor wrote:As an aside, Funk: please play another game ASAP so get Karaoke Revolution: American Idol off your gamercard plzthx.
busted!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fash wrote:Nice bait, Miir.. plenty of fishies.
;)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:As an aside, Funk: please play another game ASAP so get Karaoke Revolution: American Idol off your gamercard plzthx.
Haha, I know I know. I bought it because my girlfriend wanted it and then I got sucked in too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How's this for a vague rumor:
According to sources, Sony has something big ready to be revealed at E3 this year in regards to the Sony PS3.

Sources state that Sony has something huge to announce at E3 this year, which could give the PS3 a boost heading into the holidays against the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

Signs are pointing toward an announcement relating to Killzone 2, God of War 3, and/or PlayStation Home.
I heard Sony's working on an achievement system for the PS3. I'd say thats highly advisable considering how addicted people seem to be when it comes to achievements on the 360.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Winnow wrote:How's this for a vague rumor:
According to sources, Sony has something big ready to be revealed at E3 this year in regards to the Sony PS3.

Sources state that Sony has something huge to announce at E3 this year, which could give the PS3 a boost heading into the holidays against the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

Signs are pointing toward an announcement relating to Killzone 2, God of War 3, and/or PlayStation Home.
I heard Sony's working on an achievement system for the PS3. I'd say thats highly advisable considering how addicted people seem to be when it comes to achievements on the 360.
A reasonable guess given that there are publicly screenshots of Achievement trophies with PlayStation Home.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I smell a price drop!
Fuck Michigan!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The trend continues!

2008 is shaping up to be a monster year for Sony and the PS3.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:The trend continues!

2008 is shaping up to be a monster year for Sony and the PS3.
Thank god for JEW RAY. We all know it most certainly the reason these units are moving off the shelf has absolutely zero to do with games.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

LOL.

Hoping to get many bites today Miir?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You guys never fail to disappoint!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Even I know he's just being a dirty troll at this point :D
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Funkmasterr wrote:Even I know he's just being a dirty troll at this point :D
Well there is a couple of things he could've been talking about that were topical. The PSN Store update for noe that is very very nice. Moves away from the webpage-type thing they have before to something that appears embedded like the 360.

There's also GT5 Prologue that's out today or tomorrow(I believe) that's pretty big in the Playstation world.

Regardless, I'm getting one probably within the next year or so when Blu-Ray takes off and rentals become more mainstream. Another price drop would be nice too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote: Well there is a couple of things he could've been talking about that were topical. The PSN Store update for noe that is very very nice. Moves away from the webpage-type thing they have before to something that appears embedded like the 360.
The store moved from being absolutely horrible to adequate. I guess that's a positive in the PS3 realm!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Even I know he's just being a dirty troll at this point :D
Well there is a couple of things he could've been talking about that were topical. The PSN Store update for noe that is very very nice. Moves away from the webpage-type thing they have before to something that appears embedded like the 360.

There's also GT5 Prologue that's out today or tomorrow(I believe) that's pretty big in the Playstation world.

Regardless, I'm getting one probably within the next year or so when Blu-Ray takes off and rentals become more mainstream. Another price drop would be nice too.
The whole GT5 Prologue things cracks me up... "Ummmm well, we can't seem to get our shit together and release this game even after like 50 years of development, so um..... let's release a glorified demo to shut people up for a while.. Oh yeah, let's also charge almost as much as a full game for it."

And people are actually lapping it up, thats the best part !

I will probably pick up a PS3 after the next price drop too, I want to play Resistance 2.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sweet!
Sony's new PlayStation Store launched this week with a few hiccups like broken images and long load times.
We are aware that many of you have experienced delays whilst the PS Store's thumbnail icons are being downloaded. This is a temporary consequence of a new system implementation and high global traffic levels, and will be resolved within the next few days.
Sony's mastered online services!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The 360 beat the PS3 by 5k units in March. Nintendo Smashed (get it?) both of em.

Great display from the PSP with God of War and FF7: Crisis Core(Cause the FF7 teet will never run dry!)

Also, WTF caused those DS numbers??? Was there a Pokemon Game that's come out that I wasn't aware of? Or was all this due to FF Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate (I bought this btw - Really fun game despite the kiddy protagonists)??

http://kotaku.com/381192/nintendo-takes ... k+and+neck
01. Nintendo Wii - 721,000
02. Nintendo DS - 698,000
03. PlayStation Portable - 297,000
04. Xbox 360 - 262,000
05. PlayStation 3 - 257,000
06. PlayStation 2 - 216,000
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I didn't buy the new crystal chronicles game, I bought the first one and I thought the gameplay sucked. Is this one the same?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682869/imgs_1.html

That's the game. It plays a lot like the old Secret of Mana games, meaning is more of an action game with JRPG elements(leveling up etc).

Story is somewhat child friendly(the game is rated E10) but it was a fun playthrough. You have about 10-13 hours of playtime from start to end but you can play through it 3 times and keep your levels from the end to the start of the next round, with enemies getting tougher(not particularly harder though unfortunately.)

The game was fun for me for 2 consecutive playthroughs, then I traded it in for credit towards GTA4.

Frankly I picked this one up on my way to the airport and I did so because the store I went to didn't have a copy of FF12:Revenant Wing, which I would've preferred.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp's game unit said on Tuesday it was delaying the launch of its "Home" 3D virtual online community service for the PlayStation 3 game console to autumn of this year, the second such delay.

Sony last year postponed the launch of the "Home" service, which is aimed at giving users a place to interact with other PS3 users, to early this year from last autumn.
Sony's mastered online services part deux!
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Console sales are a good metric to track as a new device matures and one wants to look at market penetration. However, wouldn't games per unit (console) be a more interesting trend to watch by now?

While I have mislaid the source, I believe that I read (probably on Joystiq) that XBOX games per unit are the highest, with PS3 a near second, and the Wii running in (disappointing) third place.