Winter Classic

What do you think about the sports world?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Winter Classic

Post by Chidoro »

I guess most watched college football but for anyone that enjoys hockey or grew up playing on ponds witnessing the winter classic was one of the coolest things I've watched. Just watching the players adjust to having snow on the ice was fascinating. 71k+ watching a hockey game, seriously an event I hope they do again next year.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Winter Classic

Post by Boogahz »

I caught a little of this, and I thought it was really cool. I left while it was going on, and happened to have one of the ESPN channels on XM playing in the car while they talked about it. It was funny listening to the host as he was obviously about as much of a Hockey "purist" as there could be. He was complaining about how the league was stooping to a new low, and talking about how this was the final sign that the NHL was dead. I think it was more of a sign of how the NHL was willing to adapt to a changing fanbase, and how they were able to acknowledge the roots of the game on frozen ponds and outdoor rinks. The host of the radio show was talking about how a non-NHL fan could care less about them pulling this kind of "stunt" since they would not know anything about those "roots." I think he needs to step away from the sport for a while, since he obviously had no clue that a non-hockey fan thought it was an awesome idea, and recognized the childlike joy that could come from going back to play the sport you loved to play growing up in such a setting.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That's odd because all of the hockey purists in Canada absofuckinglutely love the outdoor games.
2003s Heritage Classic was a tremndous success and I didn't hear a single negative comment about the game... aside from the cold.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

That's why I said "purist." His argument made no sense to me even as someone who only watches an occasional game. If I had been able to continue playing basketball up to the professional level, I would love to have the opportunity to play an outdoor game. It would go back to the actual roots of the game (for me).
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I watched about half the game (after I woke up :p) and thought it was great. Reminded me of watching CFL playoff games in snow storms and the fun we'd have, bundled up, packing blankets, spiked hot chocolate and jumping around in the stands to stay warm :) I'm one of those Canadians who has memories of playing on an outdoor rink like Sid the Kid was talking about post-game, where you have 3-6 shovels staggered to get rid of the snow so you can play for a while. That was a lot of fun and we did up into my early 20s (until the pond we used was drained/filled for a new housing subdivision) and on weekends we'd make a fire at the edge and roast some wieners or smokies and do a picnic thing too.

As far as the radio commentator, I think he was right about yesterday's game in that it wasn't a flawless performance in terms of the players being able to do all their fanciest moves, etc. but this was more about atmosphere and the event than the execution on the ice. There were 71K who paid to go and most stuck it out through the snow and the delays and are going to be talking about it to their friends and relatives for a while. I think Boog's commentator missed the boat when he said this game was a death knell for the NHL: 71K went to a game when the largest "normal" stadiums hold around 20 (think Tampa is the biggest at 21K). That they went in the middle of a storm like they did shows that at least in Buffalo, the NHL is healthy and vibrant. I don't think they can do these too often as the novelty aspect is a big part of the draw, but I think it's a good way for them to generate more positive headlines in a time where most of the notice they get is around the incidents of cheap shots that don't represent most of the game and most fans wish would disappear.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I watched it on and off, was pretty cool to see actually. I wish they would have picked a less busy sports day to do it though. I definitely would have watched more of it.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I thought it was a great day to have the game, I dont watch worthless bowl games so this got my attention for a few hours. I loved the game and thought it was a great idea