Just downloaded the 14day trial

sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Just downloaded the 14day trial

Post by sarlen »

Reading these forums the last few days on EQ2 has pushed me to download the 14 day trial. The idea that the game will get an update more then every 3 to 4 months and expansions more then every 2 years is enticing. Can anyone offer advise on what server and or class to start off with? In EQ I played clerics and enchanters, in WoW its druids/shammys. The last time I DL'd the trial was a few years ago and I wasn't impressed at all, however I must admit I had a hard time figuring out the class I was playing (no clue what it was now) and my PC wasn't up to snuff.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Just downloaded the 14day trial

Post by miir »

Permafrost is where a good lot of VV'ers are.

If you like to play a healing class that can solo well, going with any of the healers that have the AAs for an effective melee spec would probably be a good fit.
Those classes are Mystic (good Shaman), Inquisitor (evil Cleric) and Warden (neutral Druid).

I'm pretty sure that trial accounts can make characters starting in Kelethin (gfay) and Neriak (darklight woods).
I'd recommend those starting areas as they are a lot more fun and interesting than the noobie islands for Qeynos and Freeport.

The trial is very limited. Level 10 max, no trades/broker... I don't even think you can be invited to a guild, join chat channels or send unsolicited /tells to other players.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

miir wrote:Permafrost is where a good lot of VV'ers are.

If you like to play a healing class that can solo well, going with any of the healers that have the AAs for an effective melee spec would probably be a good fit.
Those classes are Mystic (good Shaman), Inquisitor (evil Cleric) and Warden (neutral Druid).

I'm pretty sure that trial accounts can make characters starting in Kelethin (gfay) and Neriak (darklight woods).
I'd recommend those starting areas as they are a lot more fun and interesting than the noobie islands for Qeynos and Freeport.

The trial is very limited. Level 10 max, no trades/broker... I don't even think you can be invited to a guild, join chat channels or send unsolicited /tells to other players.

I suspected it would be restricted, I didn't want to throw down the 50 bucks just yet for the game because of my first experience with the game (trial island or something like that) gave me enough pause to not just out right buy it but I want to give it a fair shake (getting sick of WoW).
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Come to Permafrost John Lennon! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

sarlen wrote:
miir wrote:Permafrost is where a good lot of VV'ers are.

I suspected it would be restricted, I didn't want to throw down the 50 bucks just yet for the game because of my first experience with the game (trial island or something like that) gave me enough pause to not just out right buy it but I want to give it a fair shake (getting sick of WoW).

I personally thought EQ2 was relatively boring until level 20, to get a fair idea of how the game is and to really get into it I would say you should play into the mid 20's. This of course would require you to buy the game though.

I just got to 40 last night and I am still having a lot of fun, even though I only have the first of four expansions currently.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Rise of Kunark includes the entire game and every expansion for only $40.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Rise of Kunark includes the entire game and every expansion for only $40.
Yeah, Assassin's Creed, Mario and Mass Effect took all of my money for this pay period.. I'll get kunark end of next week and finally start getting aa's !
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Funkmasterr wrote: I just got to 40 last night and I am still having a lot of fun, even though I only have the first of four expansions currently.
Funk rocked in Feerott! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: I just got to 40 last night and I am still having a lot of fun, even though I only have the first of four expansions currently.
Funk rocked in Feerott! :D
Haha yeah, after last night I don't ever want to see "an Evol conscript" again. I was grinding those for two nights, got me from 37-40 in a pretty short period of time though! We will have to do some of the tougher quests there one of these nights, Obelisk access quest, etc :)

And now that I'm done there I will let me secret out.. The area around the temple of alliz (where the eye of thule is) is a shiny gold mine. In two nights I had 34 shinies from there, and have already made over 1pp off them in the AH.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

in the AH.
broker.... :D
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
in the AH.
broker.... :D

Blah, same diff. :)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, Feerot is loaded with pages, some of which are 1pp+ in broker, even though I have not sold any yet--may have to go CRAZY ONCE A YEAR SLASHING PRICES OMG SALE.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:Yeah, Feerot is loaded with pages, some of which are 1pp+ in broker, even though I have not sold any yet--may have to go CRAZY ONCE A YEAR SLASHING PRICES OMG SALE.
Hah, I didn't even pick any pages up at all (in any zone, thought they were a waste), don't I just feel like a total asshole now.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I wouldn't worry too much about it--pages do not seem to sell as quickly, but yeah, there are indeed rares. If you have the extra broker slots, you may want to make a few runs. I found most by dock along beach, to the left near the quest camp as you enter jungle, and around that wizard shrine where the 40^^ aggro heroic roams.

Also tons around where you were shiny farming, although you know that!
en kærlighed småkager
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

There are also some of us on Lucan D'Lere - myself, Nos, Neost, Zethorn, Kashi, Lee etc... We are all in Fluffy Bunnies. Not a raiding guild but we have fun and a great rep on the server so we are often asked to RAID if we so choose.

I would suggest just picking up Kunark, it's like $40 and you will get all the expansions.

I would also not go with an Inq for damage... wardern maybe but thus far it seems like Furies are the most powerful DPS wise for healers and a DPS speced Fury can also heal just fine.

Marb
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Marbus wrote:There are also some of us on Lucan D'Lere - myself, Nos, Neost, Zethorn, Kashi, Lee etc... We are all in Fluffy Bunnies. Not a raiding guild but we have fun and a great rep on the server so we are often asked to RAID if we so choose.
Is Zeep playing anything online these days?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Marbus wrote:I would also not go with an Inq for damage... wardern maybe but thus far it seems like Furies are the most powerful DPS wise for healers and a DPS speced Fury can also heal just fine.
HAHA what the fuck?
An Inquisitor can't do damage?
Inqscan deal MASSIVE melee DPS....I've seen fabled out Inq's pumping out 1100+ DPS.

Jesus man, are we even playing the same game?

With comparable equip, a melee spec warden can outdps any fury. With my shit gear, I crank out 600-700 DPS consistently in any group... even as the main healer. I've grouped with some fabled out Furies who push 900-1000 but usually they are around 500-600.
The biggest advantage warden has is quick cast combat arts. They can throw out heals without missing a beat. With 40% double attack and 75% crits, they can even do respectable DPS (200-300) with zero power cost.
Furies can frontlad some decent damage but their big nukes have long cast times which make them less adept at recoving from spike damage and their long recasts on their big nukes means theit DPS drops to shit once they blow their load. In super short fights (less than 10 sec) a Fury can deal sick DPS.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Zeep is tied up with work and kids I think but my guess is that he is being griefed daily to at least check out Kunark.

Miir, not that familiar with wardens, the last one I was close to, this was about a year ago, couldn't - with almost the exact same gear keep up with a Fury (both 60 at the time). Thus far I have seen furies do amazing damage but I will keep my eye open for the warden DPS.

In regards to the Inq I'm speaking of my experience at low level. Now that you mention it we do have a 70 Inq now who dose very good DPS. I pretty much got a lot of my 67-70 exp with he and his wife (Inq and Fury - he normally plays a Guardian). Monk, Inq and Fury though we could take just about anything if we didn't do something stupid :) Perhaps I need to play the Inq more with my son's Pally and keep the Fury to level with the Dirge... I may do that to see how she is at higher levels.

Marb
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Any of the priest classes that have an AA tree to turn their nukes and DOTs into combat arts (warden/mystic/Inquisitor) have the potential to put up some very respectable DPS numbers.

Melee spec priests have several advantages over their spell casting counterparts...
Near instant cast time means you have less chance to be interrupted and you're not tied to 2-4 seconds of casting before you can throw out a heal.
  • You don't have to continually upgrade your damage skills... they scale with level.
    All melee attacks will have an obscenely high chance to crit (warden 75%, mystic/Inquisitor 100%)
    All melee attacks will have a ridiculously high chance to hit (weaponskill buffs and AAs)
    All priests have AAs that give sizeable boosts to double attack and/or haste and/or DPS.
Shaman AGI tree is incredible... 100% melee crit, 16% heal crit (this includes ward crits) and the final skill, Tribal Rage is a melee proc that gives haste and +double attack. Paired up with the Mystic AA tree that turns spells into CAs, a mystic can put out some pretty nice DPS numbers.

I've played all the melee priests to t5 or higher. My Mystic (who I havent played in months) at level 41 with close to 60 AAs is a total killing machine. My 47 Inquisitor (on a second, inactive account) had a lot fewer AAs was not quite as impressive but could still lay down some pretty serious damage. The only real problem with Inq is the relatively low avoidance that comes from being a plate wearer... getting off a heal when a few mobs are beating on you can be challenging.

It irks me to be grouped with healers who think that their only job in a group is to heal. Seeing healers throw up big fat zeros on every parse is (to me) a waste of a slot in a group.
One time on my mystic in CT, the templar in the group asked the tank if he was using some sort of skill that made him take no damage. The templar was putting up zero after zero in the parse and using about one heal per fight. I was keeping the tank warded, debuffing and putting out a consistent 150 DPS....
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I've found that actually talking to my groups about expectations and what I will be doing is beneficial.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:I've found that actually talking to my groups about expectations and what I will be doing is beneficial.
I find players who are stuck in the oldschool EQ mentality are usually liabilities to a group.... like the enchanter who mezzes every multi-mob encounter, the healer who only heals and the control-freak group leaders who demand you do everything their way.

I just let people play their characters however the hell they want... as long as they aren't getting the group killed.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I've found that actually talking to my groups about expectations and what I will be doing is beneficial.
I find players who are stuck in the oldschool EQ mentality are usually liabilities to a group.... like the enchanter who mezzes every multi-mob encounter, the healer who only heals and the control-freak group leaders who demand you do everything their way.

I just let people play their characters however the hell they want... as long as they aren't getting the group killed.

Teaching those people the difference could be more help though. I know that I used to think that crowd control would be a bigger issue in EQ2 than it is. I would avoid using my wizard's ae. It didn't take long to learn how useful those ae spells actually were!

especially for pulling when people like Vaemas get lazy!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:

Don't let Miir fool you. He yells at me about aggro all the time. But, I deserve it though.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
miir wrote:

Don't let Miir fool you. He yells at me about aggro all the time. But, I deserve it though.
He just yells at me about fucking up his /reply .. Mr. Popularity
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I only yell at the people I love <3
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:I only yell at the people I love <3
ewww....yucky!
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I thouhgt i would dl the trial version yesterday, sooo 6 hrs later and STILL 4 hrs left to dl?.. fuck that

comcast cable n all I thought it would be 3 hrs tops.. heh
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:I only yell at the people I love <3

:lol:
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I'm not sure about the other servers but I have had some pretty SCARY groups in the 20s and 30s... thus I never group at those levels. I have had some excellent and some very bad groups int he 40s and 50s... probably 50/50. However I can really only think of 1 bad group I ever had 60+, including a ton of instance zone runs.

Maybe I'm just lucky but since I'm usually on after I get the kids to sleep most of the guild has logged so I will take a pickup group if I'm going to be on for a while.

I'm curious to see how people do with Kunark though... that MOBs IMHO are under conned and hit a LOT harder. Karnor has already seen a lot of deaths in beta, lol.

Marb
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I am in bad groups with Branndine all the time! She always /bonks me and tells me not to be the puller :( Oh, and she makes me go afk to give my dog treats too much too!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Furies own priest DPS because of their AE. If it were single mob, it would most likely be a melee specced Inquis. I have had a Mystic to 70 and a Fury now at 72. Furies heal much faster and can help take down my large pulls with their AE. Grouped with a Swash, I think Fury may be the best thing going. Of course with my swash I am sitting at 9400 HP unbuffed at level 70....not sure where I actually am with the Fury buff at 72. Today in a group I was actually at 14,400 HP.