Tracing email

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Tracing email

Post by Sendarie »

Is it possible to track someone down to their IP address that uses a yahoo email?
Have had a very interesting situation here...threatening that seems credible. Not going public with it here but if it is I would like to take it to PM's or even phone if I go too in depth as to the nature of the threat given the level of detail...

Thanks for any help.
Sendarie
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

yes it is possible but...it takes a court order to get the owner of the IP for a specific time frame. In the header of the yahoo email is the persons IP address, do a who is on it and that will lead you to the provider. From there you will have to convince the provider to give up the persons info for that IP for that time and day. I have not herd of any provider giving the info with out a court order but thats here in Iowa I'm sure its different else where.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

If you have a web server that provides you with transfer logs available, you could put an image in your e-mail and hope they're dumb enough to view it. Check the logs for hosts requesting that image, et voilà! If you don't have a web server and access to its logs, I'm sure you can find someone willing to help you out.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Thanks Xatrei I know just who to ask.
Sendarie
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

report the emails to the provider's abuse email and get this cat's account suspending. If the email is a credible threat of violence, you should report it to police also.

You can also report it to the FBI's online crime unit. It is possible that it is a federal offense.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

yeah turns out the authorities viewed it as a very credible threat so no help needed...they are all over it

thanks for the help guys
Sendarie
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

pkirl!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Is this the one in broken english where he claims to have been hired to hit you, but will take $30K from you instead to drop the commission?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

no no, this one has a scary level of detail about our inner workings, anyway its being dealth with
Sendarie