You want to cancel your AOL account? Forget it

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

You want to cancel your AOL account? Forget it

Post by Hesten »

Just saw this today, i doubt itll surprise anyone, but cancelling an AOL account can be quite problematic. Talk about bad customer service.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9406462/detail.html
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

AOL: Alright, some day when you calmed down you're gonna realize that all I was trying to do was help you... and it was actually in your best interest to listen to me.
I see that as: AOL is planning world domination and will only let their customers free.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

When I cancel any service and they ask me why, I tell them I'm moving to Argentina, or some other place off the continent.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Lynks wrote:When I cancel any service and they ask me why, I tell them I'm moving to Argentina, or some other place off the continent.
Exacty, when I canceled my last AOL account I did almost the same. They asked "Why?". I told them I was military moving to Iraq for 1 year living in a tent with no computers.
Conversation and cancellation took all of 2 minutes including being on hold for a few seconds.
Sendarie
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

On the other hand, people who sign up for AOL sort of deserve this. =P
miir and I are best friends. <3
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A high percentage of iPod users and their grandmothers still use AOL. Check the statistics.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:A high percentage of iPod users and their grandmothers still use AOL. Check the statistics.
Well, seem to recall a story from a while back where they found out that AOL had over 20000 subscribers that didnt own a computer. Mainly in the trailer trash areas, they payed for AOL, but had nothing to use it with :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Jesus Christ, that guy must've been hired by Chase, and I spoke with him when I tried to cancel my account. The only difference is I talked even longer to him. Other than that, it's so fucking similar it would send shivers down your spine.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

customer retention techniques all come from the same textbook.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

When you call someplace they can record calls "for quality assurance" purposes as they state in the beginning of the call. But are you allowed to do the same without announcing it?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

Yes. There are actual companies that monitor these sorts of things. Say a company calls you and you ask them to take you off of their list and they do not. There are companies that will trace all of the calls and you have to do nothing for follow up. Telemarketing is a big deal and the law suits involved are rather large as well.
Thinking of something new!
Gnomies
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gnomies »

When you call someplace they can record calls "for quality assurance" purposes as they state in the beginning of the call. But are you allowed to do the same without announcing it?
No. You have to announce it.
Gnomies Tinkerbeans~
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's what I thought. So technically he violated a law or two by recording the conversation.

--
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

depending on where you live, you do or don't have to announce it. the federal standard is that only one participant in a telephone conversation must be aware that recording is taking place. however, if the person was in california or florida all parties would have to consent to recording. its gets a little more complicated when involving the broadcasting of the conversation. However the Supreme Court upheld a case in which an illegal wire tap (neither party was aware of recording) was passed onto a media outlet. the court found that since the recording was not done by the media outlet, it was a violation of their first ammendment.

yeah i just took media law
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That's what I thought. So technically he violated a law or two by recording the conversation.
Technically this quote is a pointless issue as that isn't the thing that's fucked up about this.

Fuck AOL.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I've known two people that have had nothing but problems with AOL when trying to cancel. From AOL refusing to cancel the account to cancelling and then resuming billing again after a few months.

Personally, I quite enjoy getting on the phone when I'm nearby and a family member or the like is having problems with a phone rep. It annoys the shit out of me to listen to someone sit there and let the phone rep continue on and on with their script. Fuck that. Shut up. Cancel the account. What part of that aren't you getting?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nick wrote:
Technically this quote is a pointless issue as that isn't the thing that's fucked up about this.
Wow thanks for pointing that out. I never would have guessed. All this time I thought the whole point of that article was that he (may have) illegally recorded the conversation.

:roll:

--
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

One of the good things about having a kid is you can hand the phone off to them. My son can barely talk but he can make all sorts of animal noises. I just stand in the background and ask him what does each animal say. Eventually they give up and hang up. Plus I am sure it gets annoying when the kid hits random buttons. Maybe a few of them will go tone deaf after a while.
Deward
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah harrass the guy trying to make a living.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

Deward wrote:I just stand in the background and ask him what does each animal say. Eventually they give up and hang up.
And this helps to cancel an AOL account how?
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Coincidentally, I cancelled my Vonage account today. I knew I had made a mistake by selecting cancel on the voice menu because I was on hold for 20 minutes, then the lady tried to get me to upgrade my account! I had to repeat cancel about 4 or 5 times. I asked if I could retain the phone number but she said I had to keep the account on until a new company called them and asked for it.

This process is one my brother had been through. He said they wouldn't give up the phone number for 2 months during which time they of course billed him. Knowing this, I decided to get a completely new number instead of deal with that company anymore. This means I have to redistribute my new number to all my clients, vendors, and utilities. I was willing.

Word of advice, Vonage provides horrible services. You will lose calls in the middle of conversation, get fuzzy calls, lose service for long periods of time, and even not receive calls where they called you but it didn't register on your phone.

Avoid vonage.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

whats vonage precious
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

kyoukan wrote:whats vonage precious
eh? engrish prease.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Xyun wrote:
kyoukan wrote:whats vonage precious
eh? engrish prease.
I think she's hitting on you?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

What is Vonage? I've never heard of them.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I've been on Vonage at home for almost a year now. Only real downtime I've noticed is when the linuksys router they originally sent me died.

Got the new one and it's work fine since.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

kyoukan wrote:What is Vonage? I've never heard of them.
Vonage is the "big" (someone correct me if I'm wrong) VOIP phone service provider. Think home phone through your internet.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!