okay so i bought EQ2

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

okay so i bought EQ2

Post by kyoukan »

What server do I play on? What classes are good? I was thinking ranger or necromancer!
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

/boggle !!!
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: okay so i bought EQ2

Post by Zaelath »

kyoukan wrote:What server do I play on? What classes are good? I was thinking ranger or necromancer!
Both seem difficult, I don't see much of either above 25.

Furies seem decent if you must solo.. (one of the druids) where as Wardens suck at soloing (the other one).

Umm.. better yet, be Warrior_23154 :p
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

From what I hear you need to either:

1) Sell your account

or assuming the CD key is still available

2) Sell the box
miir and I are best friends. <3
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I saw it for 30$ cdn yesterday and I almost picked it up to give it a real try.
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

Depends on what you like to play. If you are going to go a scout class make sure you go Assassin. Either make a Dark Elf Scout or make a good race scout and betray from Qeynos to Freeport. Assassins are the great dps class among the scouts, so If you were going to go a melee class that would be my pick.

If you like to play casters and you want to throw out a lot of DPS, roll a Warlock. This is what my main is and I kick complete ass on her. No other class touches me in dps on grouped (AE) encounters. Wizards aren't bad, they just got made into a utility with the coming of EQ2. They do have evac (like scouts) but it's such a long cast time that it's almost worth nothing except just to travel across zones easier.

Necromancers are Freeport only, again unless you betray, and the pet classes right now do little to no dps, most times being out dps'd by Furies or Templars on certain encounters.

Ofcourse, you could be looking to further something more than your e-peen and not even care about the dps you do. Check out http://www.everquest2.com . Click on the Forum tab at the top and go to the Class Forums about mid way through the page. There are *some* decent posts there from real players about classes and what's wrong with them and what they do, etc etc.

The new expansion comes out in September and the lvl cap is going to raise to 60. I'm guessing somewhere right before that time, the new Combat Update is going to go live and a lot of the classes are going to change a bit. Mostly it's wizard's bitching and crying because they want to do the dps Warlocks do. They whine so much. But other than that I think it will be a decent update.

As far as servers go. I play on Permafrost. We have a pretty decent mix of all classes and some decent guilds there as well. FoH, Atrocity, Iconoclast are the top 3 on the server and I don't think I've ran into a complete asshole yet. Although, there are tons of noobs, but I can't expect anything else with a new game. Anyways, if you have more questions post. Maybe I can direct ya in the right way to go for an answer.

Cheers!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Depends on if you are going to group or play solo. Assassins are fucking weak. I was outdamaging Assassins and Brigands as a Swashbuckler over time. Assassins have the one big attack and then have to wait an hour before using it again. Luckily, they can use it 4 times if they are fighting any type of boss mob. Swash also had the most utility of any class in the game.....and had good ranged weapon skills that allowed you to bow kite.

Rangers are a good class. You can bow kite like a beast with them and still be able to blow through mobs solo in melee as well. I don't think it matters what server....unless you intend to find people from Veeshan playing. As long as you intend to never do anything end game related, you can have fun playing EQ 2. If my account was still active I would hook you up with some gold and garbage from the bank on Befallen.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

what do warlocks do?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Nuke..

They are like wizards but deal poison/disease damage.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
tehom
No Stars!

Post by tehom »

It's a little hard to make recommendations right now because they're doing a massive combat/class balancing revamp. Basically, fighters and priests are somewhat overpowered right now, and some scout/caster classes kind of suck. People are expecting fighters to see pretty hefty downgrades, summoners, enchanters, and some scouts to see upgrades, and priests to remain indispensible but with more balancing between the different priest classes themselves.

Personally, I encourage people to play priests when in doubt - inquisitors/templars are probably the best, but the differences between all of them aren't that important. It's not at all uncommon for groups to have two priest classes, so you'd almost never encounter a situation where you'd be deadweight. And priests solo better than most classes too.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I don't want to be a heal bot though.
tehom
No Stars!

Post by tehom »

Fair enough. Tanks can be remarkably fun to play right now, but there's a decent chance they could find their solo abilities hit hard when the balancing changes comes in. Warlock is a good suggestion, as Lynnsie posted above - they're intended to be the top of the damage food chain, so that's unlikely to change.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Monks were good before the Agi nerf! Could solo Groupx2 encounters with 3 mobs+a Boss in it :D
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Do warlocks do good single target damage too or just AE? I'll probably just be duoing most of the time so AE isnt as important!
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

I had this big nice post all typed out explaining the different DD spells and stuff you get, but I'll be damned if I'm typing it all over again. So I'll try to make this informative but short, it's 3:30am and I gotta get my ass to sleep sometime.

Warlock:

lvl 23- Dark Distortion- Inflicts around 400 dmg app4 quality spell (player made) also gives you back a portion of power as a result of the damage this spell does. At adept 3 quality (also player made) this spell will do around 600 -800 dmg.

You get a "character trait" that you can pick or like an extra spell upgrade for your class sometime after you get Dark Dis. It's called Bellengere's Sapping Salvo, and this is a spell you must pick, from a list to get. There's a total of 4 spells iirc, and this is the best one by far for you to pick. It stacks with Dark Distortion and is on a different reuse timer, so you can throw them back to back for added dps. As a bonus, this spell will give you a 52 point heal on a successful hit and also gives back a portion of the damage you inflict back as power, just like Dark Dis. This spell will usually hit for around 800 dmg or so.

lvl 37 - Nil Distortion- This spell does the same thing that Dark Dis. does but just on a much better scale. At adept 3 quality this spell will hit for around 1400+ dmg and gives you back some power as a result of the damage that you inflict. You WILL be the only lvl 37 class running around inflicting this type of damage at this lvl, by you I mean the warlock class. NO other class in game can do dmg like this at this lvl in game, wizards cry when their best spell at 37 hits for around 800-900 dmg and has a longer reuse timer than your Nil Distortion.

These are some of the big DD nukes, but you also get lots of Stuns, AE's and other DD spells that are on different reuse timers than Dark Distortion, Nil Distortion and BSS and still inflict a decent amount of damage. You also get lots of roots, and root/fear spells as a warlock. just make sure to keep your subjugation skill up to par and you will be happy duoing/soloing group encounters and heroic mobs.

If you want to pick a server to play on, and haven't yet, you can come to Permafrost and I can teach ya some stuff about playing a warlock and hook ya up with some gold and spells to get ya well on your way. If ya decide to take me up on the offer just let me know so I can be looking for ya, if not good luck with whatever class you decide. I'm just completely biased on the Warlock class because I am one and daily I see people just being so envious of my spells, class abilities and dps that I can't see any other class in EQ2 being better. But like I said, I am biased.

Good Luck
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Patching sux.

On the upside I actually ran into Kyou runnin around on the newbie island o.O

Where can I find spell lists? EQ2 website seems more confusing then it needs to be.. ;(

Also whats the best tree to take for melee? SKs any good?
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

Spell Lists are on this site. I use it often

http://www.eq2.ogaming.com/
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

how come when I make a second chat window for the combat messages, it vanishes when I log out?
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Janx »

Good place to level from 11-20? (Qeynos)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

11-20 you should be outside the qeynos gates killing any solo mobs you can find. Around 20 you can head east across the map and do the crabs out on the beach. In the middle to late 20's you can go to Enhcnate Lands and make serious gold and exp killing the rabid squirrels.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Gorr Greyybeard 33 guardian of mistmoore...

this game blows... eq1 was better laid out and set up... some of eq2's features are great and should be implemented into eq1 (yes i went back to eq1) but on the whole, eq2 just isnt as good a game.

specially if they gonna nerf my dwarf cause guardians and zerkers kick ass. =)
Sick Balls!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

WHY DOES MY 2ND CHAT WINDOW KEEP VANISHING GRRRAAAAARRRR
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I dunno. Never saw that problem anywhere other than planetside. Might have to make your UI file read only so that changes can't be made by the patcher.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

kyoukan wrote:WHY DOES MY 2ND CHAT WINDOW KEEP VANISHING GRRRAAAAARRRR
I have heard of various chat window/font problems. A friend of mine has the exact same issue you are having.
I never had disappearing windows, but until a recent patch the font size in my primary chat window wouldn't save. Every time I came in I had to readjust it or have like 70 point fonts.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

It's a UI bug with the chat windows I believe. It's aggrivating yea, but I guess it's just not high enough on the priority list for SOE to fix. On my warlock, I just go into chat options, from right clicking the chat tab, and turning off spells and melee and all other forms of spammies. I don't even fuck with the second window anymore cause I was having the same problem you are having now.

What class did you pick Kyou and what server are you playing on? If it's not Permafrost, damn you for kicking my offer to the curb to hook you up with monies and spells :D Wherever you are I hope you like it. EQ2 is really a fun game especially in the lower levels, there's just so much you can do.

As far as where you should level from 11-20, Kilmoll was on the nose. You should be in Antonica kicking the shit out of the scarecrows in the first field and then migrating into Archer's woods from 15-17 then hitting up the Scarecrow fields near the Steppes Station for fast exp. They made a lot of the shit in Antonica solo now, which means no heroic encounters ( double up arrow mobs) Mostly anything near heroic you are going to find are gnolls, in Antonica. Only word of warning about Archer's Woods is to stay clear of the Forest Wardens. They are casters and even when they con blue to you they aren't easy to defeat and there is a lot of downtime with killing them.

Most people, seem to forget that EQ2 is still in it's infant stages, come on people this is the game that our characters are supposed to get up over lvl 100. Max level now is 50 and with the new expansion in September it is only going up to 60. No sign of AA's in sight. Gonna be a while before everything starts flowing together in ways like it does in EQ1. Sit tight and enjoy watching the game grow. I didn't start playing EQ1 a lot until right before PoP. So I find it neat to watch a game grow, when I jumped on the bandwagon late with EQ. Anyhow, have fun guys. Keep posting questions, there are a lot of us here that can hook ya up with answers
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I am evil on permafrost.

I made a scout, but I might change to a mage.
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

Are you going by Kyoukan? And you need to make a warlock! Send me a tell in game, to Calirian, or Saryia when you decide what you're going to make and I'll hook you up with some spells and some gold.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Shoulda made a bruiser, they rock.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Janx »

Feel free to hook me up with spells ;) Level 19 Summoner/12 Shaman

Whats your scouts name kyou? Need to hook up for teh duoing. Xnaj = Summoner , Pilf = Shaman

<3 Collect quest PL.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'm only like level 10. I don't have that much time to play anymore. my scout's name is marlowe.. I'll probably play a little bit tonight.

where can I get a bow at my level? the lowest one Ive seen is like level 20
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I tradeskilled my first bow on the newbie island for my assassin.
Sabek
Just Sabek
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I will lick broken glass off of a homeless man's testicles before tradeskilling in this game. any other ideas?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Use your feminine wiles to convince someone they should make you a level 10 bow?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Janx »

Broker?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I filtered range weapons in broker and lowest level I got was like 30.. its rough.

I havent tried cyber yet though.
Fyredragn
No Stars!

Post by Fyredragn »

Tried the black market yet to look for stuff in qeynos? If haven't, try that since there's tons more stuff for sale in qeynos than freeport. (In east freeport swim east to get to black market broker)
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Get your ass into swg damn it!!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

In Qeynos there was a really sweet bow available through a very easy quest. Most of your gear from 10-30 is questable and as good as or better than the player made gear.