Request for Halibut / Red Snapper / Sea Bass Recipes

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Request for Halibut / Red Snapper / Sea Bass Recipes

Post by Canoe »

I just returned from a 9 day trip to Alaska Fishing (Yay me!!).

Good news is we slayed everything from Arctic Grayling, Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden, King Salmon, Red Salmon, Halibut, Red Snapper, and Sea Bass.

I have plenty of recipes for the salmon and trout (smoking most of the salmon that we didn't already eat).

However i'm lacking in Halibut and Sea Bass / Red Snapper recipes and I have over 120lbs of it!!! As fish doesn't last as long even frozen as red meat does, I'd like to start cooking this stuff up as soon as possible, and can't wait to eat it.

Anyone out there have any good recipes for Sea Bass / Red Snapper filets or Halibut Steaks and filets?

Thanks in advance :)
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm of the opinion that the less you do to red snapper, the better. My dad likes to do a basic flour->egg->cracker meal breading followed by a trip in the fryer. Use sandwich sized fillets, and you have the core of the bestest fish sammiches evar. Keep in mind I'm used to using Gulf snappers, so your cold water mileage may vary.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Also, regarding sea bass, my roommate likes to make foil packets and put some thin slices of key lime, aromatics, and little garlic and butter.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Halibut is a vehicle, it has very little flavor of it's own, hence why americans love it. I generally grind dried porcini mushrooms into a powder, coat one side of the fish, sear that side then flip and finish in the oven, gives a relatively bland fish decent earth tones ( also makes it red wine [light pinot] worthy which is always good)
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Could you make a pan glaze with fish like you can with pork and beef? Because that ground and fried porcini looks like an awesome base...
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Yah after you take it out of the oven, add some butter, shallots, wine and chicken stock or fumet (someone bitch at me to post stock recipes and a trick to storing them) and tarragon, yah tarragon, nice earthy herb for the porcini (and also red wine friendly) (can you tell what kind of wine I drink?). The trick with be to be careful not to burn the porcini powder on the bottom of the pan, in fact (and can you tell I am making this up as I go, but that's how I work) I would take the fish out, wipe the pan not really clean but get the particles that will have burned with a paper towel, then add some porcini dust with the butter, yah that's it, that's the ticket!

As far as which wine, to be honest I'd probably use a dry rose, not one of those sickeningly sweet white zins, more like Tavel Rose or a grenache rose(Fife for example) (think bone dry, tons of fruit, use those words).

Another freaky thing I do with these fish is I make beet juice, then reduce it to a syrup (about 90% reduction, look for the bubbles after you turn it down to a simmer to get about the size of a dime, be careful, the difference between watery and syrup is about 30 seconds) then drizzle that around the plate, the sweet earthy taste pairs the sweet nature of the fish and the earthy nature of the porcini's perfectly.

Ohhh yah, if you use this feel free to tell your guests Pherr the dorf gave you the recipe, and take pictures of the puzzled looks please
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson