blue cheese crusted filet with caramelized shallots

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

blue cheese crusted filet with caramelized shallots

Post by Arundel Pajo »

This is an incredibly satisfying way to eat one of my favorite cuts of steak. Caramelized onions/shallots are one of my favorite tastes anyway, and married with the heartiness of medium-rare angus beef and the sharpness of blue cheese, you just find yourself in orgasmic heaven.

This is an old dish, and I'm sure that many people have had it in many steak houses around the country. It's really easy to make, and has been a staple of mine for a while...as I am sitting here in the afterglow of preparing it for myself again tonight, I figured I would share. Following is a recipe for one steak - expand accordingly for multiples (one shallot per steak).

Start with caramelizing the shallots. It seems a lot of chain steakhouses just can't caramelize an onion to save their ass. They burn them, fry them until they're shards of leathery crispness. Caramelizing is a slow process that breaks down the cellulose in the onions. The way I learned to do it way back when takes a lot of time, though Pherr (being a professional) may know a better, more time effective way to caramelize.

Heat up a small to medium oven-safe skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, toss in some butter and let that melt. Once the butter is melted, throw in your sliced (not chopped or diced) shallots and a good pinch of sugar. The sugar will act sort of as a catalyst to break down the cellulose. Once things start to sizzle, drop the heat to a medium-low to low heat. Stirring every now and then, cook these for anywhere from 20-40 minutes until the shallots are a rich brown, and the flavor is sweet, rich, and concentrated. Remove from heat when done.

Next, get your filet ready. If it's not already wrapped in bacon, do that now. I suggest applewood smoked bacon. Salt and pepper each side of the filet, and grill on each side until filet is just shy of your desired doneness. Place filet in pan with shallots, and top generously with crumbled blue cheese. Spoon a couple of the shallots up on top of the filet, and pack the rest around the sides.

Place pan under broiler until cheese is melted and just lightly starting to brown.

Serve with a hearty red wine such as a cabernet sauvignon (Wolf Blass Yellow Label 2001 is excellent and a good bargain, by the by), syrah, or shiraz, accompany with a good baked potato, and enjoy!
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I'll add to that a nice Super Tuscan or barolo would be excellent, or for those on a budget Seghesio Barbera would blow your doors off (like $22 tops) and be perfect, better even then most $60 cabs
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

I'll try that! I'm always looking for good wine suggestions. I'm much more comfortable with food than I am with wine. :p
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)