Swordsmanship

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I know this dude who is a 5th degree blackbelt ninja and he can jump through a sheet of glass without breaking it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yes Caltrops! Thanks!

When I was a kid, I used to always buy NINJA magazine and drool over all the cool shit you could mail order (not that I had any money).

I do remember that in the late 70s-early 80s, Enter the Ninja and Revenge of the Ninja were huge hits to kids my age and am sure helped to the American Ninjitsu style due to the demand for exotic martial arts. Hell, I remember begging my Mom to get me lessons, but they were pricey!

Sorry for going slightly off-topic here....

Anyway, nice looking blades. There is some pretty good advice and I am sure there are clubs or whatever in your area that have more info for you.

Another thing you may want to look at is Philipino stick fighting (forgot name, maybe Kollee?). They use Rattan swords as well. One thing about rattan though, that shit hurts!
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

Does he FREAK OUT and start cutting peoples heads off?
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Atokal wrote:
kyoukan wrote:ninjitsu doesn't have belts.
Sr. Professor James R. Adkins is the first person in Arizona to hold an 8th degree black belt in Kenpo under Master Larry Tatum and also holds black belts in Ninjitsu and Shaolin Kung Fu.

http://www.jadkinskenpo.com/about.html

from the above website. Perhaps traditional ninjitsu did not award belts but it seems a ton of these martial facilities are awarding belts. So your statement is false, unresearched and not surprising.

Cheers
As was already noted, traditional Asian culture doesn't use any sort of measuring stick. You're either a student, master, or both. The whole concept of applying "belts" or ranks as a measure of skill or one's ability to kick another's ass is a purely Western thing which is hardly surprising given how much you whities love to make everything into a cock waving contest.

It was quite clear, at least for those of us who prefer to do their breeding outside of their family's genepool, where Kyo was coming from with her remark.
Last edited by Kelgar on January 15, 2004, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

Kelgar forgot to add..
IN YOUR FACE!
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time. I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town. My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
http://www.realultimatepower.net/

'nuff said :-0
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Cane, PM me if you want to know how to throw a shuriken and hit someone in the eye from 200 meters.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

They seem to focus more on european stuff but a site with a lot of interesting articles comments about european fencing/martial skills is http://www.thehaca.com/.
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I had the pleasure of attending a taikai with Dr. Hatsumi Sensei...founder and Soke of Bujinkan. The Bujinkan share many things in common with ninpo. I will tell you that they are very proficient martial artists. The Holywood version you see of Ninja are just that...Holywood versions.

Shuriken were never intended to be incredibly accurate. Their primary use was as a very dangerous distraction. You throw something at your opponent that is razor sharp and he will do what he can to evade and protect himself from said object. That small interim where your opponent is occupied with not getting hit by a projectile allows you an opening with which you can attack with your other more effective weapon(s). If two swordsman are standing a few meters apart and one of them throws something at the other...it only takes a short second or two to close that distance and strike while the other is reacting to the object thrown at him.

Oh yes...and here is a bit of trivia for you. When entering a home or keep in feudal Japan...the easiest way was through the door or window of course. However the wooden frame of the Shoji panel would often squeak when it was slid across the wooden channel that held it in place. The way to overcome this squeaking and still maintain one's stealth....
.... They urinated on the shoji panel and the track it ran on. There was no magic...there was ingenuity, training, timing, and technique.

Regards,

Moon
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I've got a 9th degree black belt in urination!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Hatsumi is teh man!

Do not mess with the Bujinkan Dojo!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Sylvus wrote:I know this dude who is a 5th degree blackbelt ninja and he can jump through a sheet of glass without breaking it.
OMGZ REELEE? My stepdad isnt to that level yet, but he can jump 50 feet in the air and walk on trees!
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

pfft, picking up a sword in japan lets you do that
Atokal
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Atokal »

Kelgar wrote:
Atokal wrote:
Sr. Professor James R. Adkins is the first person in Arizona to hold an 8th degree black belt in Kenpo under Master Larry Tatum and also holds black belts in Ninjitsu and Shaolin Kung Fu.

from the above website. Perhaps traditional ninjitsu did not award belts but it seems a ton of these martial facilities are awarding belts. So your statement is false, unresearched and not surprising.

Cheers
As was already noted, traditional Asian culture doesn't use any sort of measuring stick. You're either a student, master, or both. The whole concept of applying "belts" or ranks as a measure of skill or one's ability to kick another's ass is a purely Western thing which is hardly surprising given how much you whities love to make everything into a cock waving contest.

It was quite clear, at least for those of us who prefer to do their breeding outside of their family's genepool, where Kyo was coming from with her remark.
Listen up fucktard, I realize that your preference for breeding maybe outside of your families genepool and I must commend you on this because a product of incest generally does not have the intelligence not to make the same mistakes as their parents.

Second you racist bastard where did the whitey comment come from and how is it relevant to this discussion.

Third my little grasshopper you have much to learn about readin and writin. Kyoukan made another of her BLANKET statements regarding a topic that is neither accurate or true. I stated in my response that traditionally belts were not awarded however it seems to be prevalent in todays dojos. Comprende??

Now then go home so you are amongst your peers and leave the really big stuff (like thinking) to your betters.

Cheers
Atokal
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Jablowned!
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

actually atokal you were talking out of your ass.
and more than one person corrected you.
and as far as incest is concerned I wouldn't go there, cause we all know your family tree doesn't fork^^
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

my2cp

Post by Sendarie »

Sylvos wrote: who would break their hand repeatedly til the bones fused into a single "Blade"
Maybe not quite to the same extent but at least in Korea there are still some more traditional schools that practice this.
..not that, that really has anything to do with topic just gee whiz stuff.
Sendarie
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

if people still practice that, they are some hardcore martial artists.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sylvos wrote:actually atokal you were talking out of your ass.
and as far as incest is concerned I wouldn't go there, cause we all know your family tree doesn't fork^^
And as far as racism goes, I wouldn't go there either Atokal.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Kelgar wrote:
Atokal wrote:

Cheers

The use of the belt to signify the rank of a martial arts practitioner is not a very old practice, in terms of martial arts history. It can be traced back to Jigoro Kano, the founder of Kodokan Judo.Initially, Kano used only black or white belts to signify rank amongst his students. The most commonly given reason for the belts is to enable recognition of which students could take part in which activities... Best not to throw a student who doesn't have the proven ability to handle being thrown.

Shortly after Kano introduced this innovation, extra colours of belts were integrated.

*shrug* I guess I am one of those ignorant people who thought that belts orginated in the Far East in the 19th century.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Off topic, but I think Atokal is about to become my first STFU user.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Kelgar wrote:
Atokal wrote:

Cheers

Racist!
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

http://members.cox.net/staticandsilence/Morestuff.JPG

^^^ Marshall's War Blade on the bottom?
i am a liberal.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

It is a Japanese halberd known as a naginata

Hasafraker
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Hasafraker »

omg Kelgar hey man! How you doin?

This thread made me laugh

:vv_duel2:

Varrix
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here's my favorite

Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

My favorite.

It takes many years of intense training to be come Deadly in the art of Spork Fighting.
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Denadeb wrote:My favorite.

It takes many years of intense training to be come Deadly in the art of Spork Fighting.
Sporks own..I am using one right now!
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

Truant wrote:Off topic, but I think Atokal is about to become my first STFU user.
Not Searyx? More boards should have STFU buttons to be rid of his ass :razz:
aka Trake Daddy 65 Overlord, Cestus Dei [retired]
Diamonds are a girl's blow job enabler
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Here's my favorite

Ha ha, not bad. I like a similar polearm version of this better. Unfortunately, it's not exactly easy to find a quality smith capable of making a good Guan Dao.
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

Ha ha, not bad. I like a similar polearm version of this better. Unfortunately, it's not exactly easy to find a quality smith capable of making a good Guan Dao.

Shit you should try finding a smith capaable of producing a high quality Spork.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kelgar wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Here's my favorite

I had the polearm version! But it is broken now! :(

This version is good too! I brought home a lot of interesting weaponry from Shaolin! Chain-whips, Swords, Meteor Hammers etc etc

Kelg! Ever tried Rope dart?
Atokal
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Atokal »

Sylvos wrote:actually atokal you were talking out of your ass.
If I am talking out of my ass the breath would still be much sweeter than yours. The thoughts more coherent and the dimples on my ass cheeks much cuter. So put your ear close to my ass and listen closely. I was not corrected, not by you or anyone else on this thread. But don't let the lap you sit in get cold even when it does belong to an idiot.

Cheers
Atokal
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:
I had the polearm version! But it is broken now! :(

This version is good too! I brought home a lot of interesting weaponry from Shaolin! Chain-whips, Swords, Meteor Hammers etc etc

Kelg! Ever tried Rope dart?
:lol: I've never actually trained in using any weapons. I simply have an interest based on what I've read from San Guo Tze. The last time I was in mainland China, I bought a seven stars sword, the sword you posted, and another sword that looks very similar to the old ykesha that all the gayngers used to run around with.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well, not much use for these old weapons nowadays beside form training!

Always nice to see the history of an old culture though!