Should be a Movie...

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Should be a Movie...

Post by Bubba Grizz »

What do you think should be made into a movie or which movie do you think should be remade into a more modern version?

After reading the Game of Thrones (and its sequels) I would love to see this in a tv series or a movie quadrilogy.

I'd also like to see the Dragonlance books made into a movie.
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Definately not enough time in a 3 hour movie to do the Sing of Ice and Fire stories. I could see it being a 6 season TV show if it got the funding, but I don't know how well that would turn out.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm afraid that if they tried it would turn out looking like Covington Cross did. Still, I wish that series lasted a few seasons.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

The Belgariad
EverQuest
WarCraft
Angel (The buffy spinoff)
Firefly
A DS9 or Voyager trek film
Metroid.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Metroid would OWN as a movie if they did it right. And by right I mean James Cameron directing and someone like that woman from Resident Evil as Samus.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

How about that psycho chick in Resident Evil and SWAT?
I can't place her name, she looks mexican. She's got this cute little psychotic thing going on..
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

Michelle Rodriguez I think is who ya mean?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0735442/
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Bingo.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

The Dark Tower would be fucking epic. Also, Dragonlance. With LoTR carving a path, I don't think these would be unfathomable at all! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth 2: Soulblighter

Early Bungie games that I believe would make awesome movies.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

EQ Veeshan would be fun to see as a movie!

Who would play Furor? :D
m4yh3m
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by m4yh3m »

Comic Books

Frank Miller's Dark Knight - How about a Batman not directed by a lame-brain commercial assclown? Guillermo del Toro to direct.

Watchmen - Various directors have bantered this idea around, and while Terry Gilliam is an excellent director, it needs to be taken more seriously IMO. Keep Danny Elfman away from the scoring and get a serious director like Peter Darabount (Shawshank Redeption) to direct and take it seriously.

V for Vendetta - A very odd comic series with the Wachowski Brothers actually taking a stab at a screenplay, http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/scri ... detta.html , get different writers and maybe Terry Gilliam to direct this one.

Books

Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)- Redo the movie and actually base it on Heinlien's work. No Michael Ironside, no Denise Richards, and make it a serious statement about faciest regimes congruant to the original book.

Bio of A Space Tyrant (Piers Anthony) - 5 book series could probably be boiled down to a three movie trilogy. Excellent Sci-Fi series which details the rise of a nobody to one of the most powerful men in the future.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (Stephen R. Donaldson) - While not a huge fantasy fan, I did read my share growing up, and I thought this trilogy was as good as LOTR.

I suppose all of my choices would make poor choices in an economic sense. They are complex and require thinking on the part of the viewer which would make for an awful performance at movie theaters full of easily distracted American viewers.
RockemSockem - Planetside - TR/Markov - Retired
m4yh3m - Xbox Live - Active
Molokai - SWG - Eclipse - Jedi unlocked 4/5/2004

(WWW, DVDs, Xbox)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Canelek wrote:The Dark Tower would be fucking epic.
Exactly what I first thought of. That and Eye of the Dragon.

I'd also like to see the Drizzt stories somehow compressed into perhaps a 3 movie series. It's just as interesting to me as LoTR. The Sword of Shannara series would also make an interesting movie or two.

Old world EverQuest (pre-Kunark) would be a good movie.

I'd like to see Matrix 2 & 3 completely redone with completely new story lines. Screw that, just shoot the brothers in the head and forget it.
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Well they will probably make a movie out of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons since a studio bought the rights to them. Oh and they are already making a live action Neon Genesis using Weta Workshop(the guys that did LotR) to do the special effects so I can't really ask for that.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

m4yh3m wrote:Comic Books

Frank Miller's Dark Knight - How about a Batman not directed by a lame-brain commercial assclown? Guillermo del Toro to direct.
Yes, and you get a gold star.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Manhattan Ghost Story... best movie never made.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I'd like to see a 3 movie trilogy of Dragon Ball Z... that'd be frickin beautiful.

Goku going super saiyan at the end of the first to defeat the evil freeza.
Gohan climaxing the second movie and defeating Cell with the help of his father.
Goku proving that he is the most powerful in the universe when he defeats Buu and saves the galaxy to end the great series.

It'd have to be done correctly, none of this dungeons and dragons bullshit with terrible actors and storylines, if it wasn't done right i'd say trash it before release to make sure the public never saw it.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I would also wish that Sphere by Michael Crighton would be remade, the book was amazing, the movie sucked hard.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Crav wrote:Well they will probably make a movie out of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons since a studio bought the rights to them.
Angels and Demons should definitely be made, but only if they can accurately depict the Vatican... ><
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Watchmen - Various directors have bantered this idea around, and while Terry Gilliam is an excellent director, it needs to be taken more seriously IMO. Keep Danny Elfman away from the scoring and get a serious director like Peter Darabount (Shawshank Redeption) to direct and take it seriously.
I think Watchmen is too visual to make a good movie adaption. I don't think the main story would be the problem and would probably make the transition fine. But there's more going on in Watchmen than the main story. Every panel is important or meaningful in some way in the comic. That's hard to transfer to film.
Already in the works and due not long from now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155724/

Although status is listed as Unknown with the comment "Status described as 'stalled' by the director in a recent Onion interview. " so maybe not so soon. If at all!

22 March 2002
Over to Neil Gaiman at his website for clarification: "Someone asked me whether I knew anything about the rumours that the Good Omens film had collapsed. Not that I know of. They've been having trouble putting together the money (65 million plus) for some time, and the last time I saw Terry Gilliam he mentioned that if it didn't happen soon, he'd go off and do Tideland, which will cost infinitely less, because if he didn't make a film soon (given what happened to Quixote) he'd go crazy. As far as I know, if that happens, it means that Good Omens simply goes down to next-on-the-list while the producers spend the intervening time trying to nail down the financing.

"The script is good, the cast seem committed, and the producers have the foreign financing in place. What they need is a US studio to commit some money (I think it's about $15 million) to the project, and no US studio seems ready to take the plunge yet. My attitude on all Hollywood things is not to expect any of them to happen until I'm sitting at the premiere eating my popcorn. Worrying about the ups and downs of getting a film made could drive anyone to drink."
Last edited by Aslanna on January 7, 2004, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Somthing else..

Zelda
Max Payne would be a good movie canidate
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Siji wrote:I'd also like to see the Drizzt stories somehow compressed into perhaps a 3 movie series. It's just as interesting to me as LoTR.
As much as I'd agree it'd be impossible. The Drizzt saga is probably one of my favorite fantasy/fiction storylines but.. it's closing in on 17 books total now. It'd literally be impossible to make it into a trilogy. They could skip a few books of course, but the entire thing would be impossible to compress without making it likw 6 - 10 movies or something. Maybe someone could try pulling off a Star Wars type deal ( 9 episodes~ ), but yeah. An awesome, yet unlikely, dream =(
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:EQ Veeshan would be fun to see as a movie!

en kærlighed småkager
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Hrmmmm...

Elric - Moorcock
Stranger in a Strange Land - Heinlein
The Foundation Trilogy - Asimov
At The Mountains of Madness - Lovecraft
Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Canelek wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:EQ Veeshan would be fun to see as a movie!

Striking Resemblance! :D

-

Now i know, what i would like to see as a Movie!

Warhammer and Warhammer 40k!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

While Elric was a great series I don't know how that would be on film. They would have to dumb it down a lot for the masses. Not saying that it couldn't happen but didn't the series have excessive violence? In light of movies like Kill Bill I mean. This series would make Kill Bill more of a Disney film. Of course I could be totally wrong and it has been a long long time since I read the series.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Red Storm Rising by Clancy would be the best war movie of all time! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Bubba Grizz wrote:While Elric was a great series I don't know how that would be on film. They would have to dumb it down a lot for the masses. Not saying that it couldn't happen but didn't the series have excessive violence? In light of movies like Kill Bill I mean. This series would make Kill Bill more of a Disney film. Of course I could be totally wrong and it has been a long long time since I read the series.
Yeah quite violent...But I don't think it would require explicit, graphic violence...I think one could communicate the violence w/o resorting to showing it all...It would certainly be pleasantly dark...
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Should be a Movie...

Post by Legenae »

Bubba Grizz wrote:What do you think should be made into a movie or which movie do you think should be remade into a more modern version?

After reading the Game of Thrones (and its sequels) I would love to see this in a tv series or a movie quadrilogy.
As much as I would love A Song of Ice and Fire to be made into a movie(s), I'd have to agree with Pahreyia with the "not enough time." There is just so much happening in each of the books in the series. Just the first book, A Game of Thrones, would need to be split into a trilogy, just to cover everything in the book (the other books would be the same).

IF they ever decided to tackle A Song of Ice and Fire, I'd hope Peter Jackson would be doing it.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Rivera Bladestrike wrote:I would also wish that Sphere by Michael Crighton would be remade, the book was amazing, the movie sucked hard.
/agree!
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

id like to see Food of the Gods remade with todays technology
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re:

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:
Already in the works and due not long from now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155724/

Although status is listed as Unknown with the comment "Status described as 'stalled' by the director in a recent Onion interview. " so maybe not so soon. If at all!
Well, 15 years later it made it... not as a movie but as a series on Amazon. I think that's the right call since it would be hard to fit the whole book into a movie.

Overall I'd say it's worth a watch if you liked the book. I didn't really like the stylized narration sections in the first couple episodes but that dies down as it goes on. It's only 6 1 hour episodes so I'd say you should watch it if you have it available.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Should be a Movie...

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm just reading the book now. I'll probably just wait until the Dark Tower show is out on Amazon and use a free trial of prime to binge them both.