Braaaaaains

Moderators: Truant, Fairweather Pure

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Zombie Books

Post by Canelek »

There seems to be a pretty good selection out there. I just started on Plague of the Dead, by Z.A. Recht. It is pretty good so far! It basically is your infection/outbreak/plague/zombie scenario, as expected. However, it has pretty good character development and a frenetic pace, so is definately a good read so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978970705

There is a second novel called Thunder and Ashes that I picked up as well.

Also, I ordered a few other well-reviewed novels--Day by Day Armageddon, Infected, and its follup Contagious.

Happy zombie reading!

Oh, and if you have not read it yet, do pick up World War Z by Max Brooks, and do not forget his Zombie Survival Guide!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Zombie Books

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Apocolyptic- ... B000RA1DEK

I have read a lot of zombie fiction over the years. I like the traditional formula, but a lot of authors are trying to break the mold or put thier own spin on the whole zombie genre with mixed results. When the zombies can drive cars, shoot guns, and talk, I lose interest pretty quick.

I have read many of those listed above. However, I read them all in a short period of time and they kind of blend together so I don't know which to recommend. I know I didn't care for "The Rising" and all of those in that series. I read them anyway though.

"Autumn" has a decent buzz behind it. I believe it is going to be a movie as well. I have the audiobook on my iPhone but have yet to listen to it.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies will likely be my next read. The author is fast at work redoing other classic works with a zombie spin. The next one is going to be War of the Worlds, with zombies! Cool idea! It's geeting good reviews as well.

When you start with World War Z, everything is kind of downhill from there though.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Just finished Plague of the Dead. Good stuff, although a bit short @ ~300 pages. Luckily, its sequel arrived the other day so I will start that over the weekend.
en kærlighed småkager
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I have read just about everything out there that is even remotely zombie related. Autumn was an excellent book if I recall correctly. There are also one or two followups to it.
Deward
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Currently reading: "As The World Dies: A Zombie Trilogy" by Rhiannon Frater. I am on the second book. It is good stuff if you enjoy the genre!

Also, I just found out that Z.A. Recht has passed away. He was the author of The Morningstar Strain..Plague of the Dead, Thunder & Ashes. I was checking to see when the 3rd book would be released and found out about his death. Only 26. :(
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Canelek wrote:Currently reading: "As The World Dies: A Zombie Trilogy" by Rhiannon Frater. I am on the second book. It is good stuff if you enjoy the genre!

Also, I just found out that Z.A. Recht has passed away. He was the author of The Morningstar Strain..Plague of the Dead, Thunder & Ashes. I was checking to see when the 3rd book would be released and found out about his death. Only 26. :(

Maybe he's a zombie now.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Nah, he would not go out like that. He'd likely get the zombies to give chase so his fellow survivors could gain a few extra minutes to siphon fuel and escape the small Texas town in their modified battering ram-shuttlebus. He would of course have one round left for himself.

I wonder if his newest book was near completion. Perhaps someone will take up the baton and finish what was a very gripping story.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Found some more info here:

http://rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com/2009 ... recht.html
I'm glad that ZA's family has vowed to put out the last book. I hope it helps their healing as they put this tragedy behind them.
Although I am happy that they are going to get his last work published, it will be very sad to read knowing that will be it.
en kærlighed småkager
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Deadfall
by Shaun Jeffrey
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Required reading for any up-and-coming zombie: So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro