Horror Themed Video Games

Why can't witches have babies? Because their husbands have hallo-weenies.
For scary, spooky or other Halloween-related posts.

Moderator: Fairweather Pure

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Horror Themed Video Games

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Back in the day, it was Castlevania and Gouls n Ghosts. Then came Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Around the corner, we have Left 4 Dead and Dead Space. The video game horror genre is really kicking into high gear IMO.

Resident Evil for the PS1 was the first game that scared me. There was a part early on where you walk down a hallway, the camera resets to some annoying angle as you walk from one end to the other, and about half way down some skinless dogs jump through the goddamn windows. It was late. I had the sound up louder than I probably should have. When that event happened, I had as good a jump as any horror movie has ever given me. My friend was watching me play and he jumped so fast that he spilled his drink. That was totally a video game momment for me.

Ever played Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Man, that game was pure win on the SNES.

Silent Hill: Homecoming just came out for 360/PS3 and I've been toying with getting it, but as I've said in other threads, I've got too many games already.

Dead Island is a 360 game coming out next year that has little to no press yet. Check it out sometime.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Horror Themed Video Games

Post by Winnow »

I avoid horror type games because I don't enjoy being startled in that way. However, Bioshock was too good a game to pass up. While some may not feel it's a horror game, playing it in a dark room on a ten foot screen, with the awesome directional audio made me feel uneasy. I played a little of Doom 3 and it made me feel that way as well. I think that Dead Space game coming out will have the Doom 3 type scary feel to it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Another good one is F.E.A.R.

The new one- F.E.A.R.: Project Origins is coming out in a few months and I'm fairly excited about it.

I have never played any of the silent hill games, but I have read some pretty good reviews on the new one. I'd like to pick it up, but there are a lot of games coming out in the next month I already have my heart set on, so it will have to be one I pick up later (that is already a long list, too.)

Resident Evil 5 is looking to be bad ass in pretty much every way!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Resident Evil for the PS1 was the first game that scared me. There was a part early on where you walk down a hallway, the camera resets to some annoying angle as you walk from one end to the other, and about half way down some skinless dogs jump through the goddamn windows. It was late. I had the sound up louder than I probably should have. When that event happened, I had as good a jump as any horror movie has ever given me. My friend was watching me play and he jumped so fast that he spilled his drink. That was totally a video game momment for me.
The exact same thing happened to me with that game, down to friends being in the room and it startling the shit out of all of us.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

One of my favorites was for the original Playstation. I think it was just called D. It was basically a timed game filled with puzzles to help solve a mystery. There was no option to even pause the damn game, and the only way you could stop the timer was to leave the system running when you had to swap discs.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Half-Life made me pee a little.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The more I see of Legendary, the more I am impressed. It looks worthy to be released this time of year. The developer videos on the 360 have really made me think about buying this game. The titans are just so... wow.

Silent Hill games are slower than most others in the genre. However, they are also much more graphic and just plain freaky than anything else I have ever played. I have my eye on the new one as well, I just want to read more reviews.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The more I see of Legendary, the more I am impressed. It looks worthy to be released this time of year. The developer videos on the 360 have really made me think about buying this game. The titans are just so... wow.

Silent Hill games are slower than most others in the genre. However, they are also much more graphic and just plain freaky than anything else I have ever played. I have my eye on the new one as well, I just want to read more reviews.
Legendary is a sleeper, I think. I had heard next to nothing about it til' about a week ago, now it has joined my "I will be buying on release date" list along with:

Fable 2
GH:WT
Fallout 3
GoW 2
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

bioshock
system shock
alone in the dark (first one)
house of the dead series (dreamcast, baby!)

i logged at least a full week of play hours on zombies ate my neighbors. one of the best Co-Op games ever made. totally forgot about it.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Pulled out Dead Rising again for this month
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Picked up Dead Space at lunch - gonna give it a whirl with the lights out
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm picking up Dead Space today and will play it tonight after the wife and I watch the Incredible Hulk.

I've also restarted Bioshock. Damn that is a great game!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... /deadspace

Dead Space is getting some great reviews so far! While I take most critic scores with a grain of salt, the gamers themselves seem to be in love with this game. I can't wait to get it now. While reading a plethora of revies, I was happy to see many call it one of, if not the best survival horror games ever made. I'm also liking any comparison to RE4, which was a masterpiece IMO.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ohhh, I am so buying Dead Space at lunch today. PS3, I figure, since I only have 1 other PS3 game. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Left 4 Dead also looks good. It is being released next month.

Added Legendary and Dead Island to must buy list as well. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Dead Space seems pretty solid so far. I played for about an hour, so really do not have the scope yet. However, it is quite fun! Especially with the lights out. A Doom 2/Half Life feel, with the controls being a touch different.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm also about an hour in and enjoying it. Great weapons. The integration of the HUD is fantastic. It makes the game so much more immersive. Also, the level mapping is easily the best I have ever seen in a video game. The controls are different, yet greatly intuitive. I would describe the gameplay as a mix of Resident Evil 4, Half Life 2, Doom 3, and some Event Horizon and Alien thrown into the mix. I would've played more last night, but I had a screaming headache.

So far, it is living up to the hype I have read in the reviews. It really is a sleeper hit. It deserves a much wider audience than it is likely to recieve due to the plethora of well known games hitting the shelves within the next 2 months. Imagine if people had simply skipped over Half-Life or Bioshock!

This is a perfect game for the season.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm over 3 hours in and Dead Space gets better and better. The first time you enter outer space was one of those "video game momments" that you will never forget. The vacume as the door opens, the fluids fre floating, and the site of the broken planet are beautiful and terrifying at the same time. The sound while in space is great as well. Hell, the sound in general gets a 10/10 from me. Then there is your first time in anti-gravity. Holy shit x2. Fighting enemies in zero grav is a flurry of confusion and violence.

I've kind of screwed myself though. I'm at a spot with no health, no ammo, and have to pass through a room with about 6 enemies of different types. I'm going to have to go back to a previous save and be much more conservative with ammo. This game isn't easy!

Btw, the foot stomp will never, ever get old.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I agree on all points, and at roughly the same gameplay hours, since I have been out of time. This is truly an excellent game. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/dor/objects/ ... 03108.html

Video of the ZOMBIE level in Call of duty: World at War! Looks great!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

3 years later, this thread is so awesome! I'll have to add more later since I'm going to try and play through some horror themed games this month.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm going to try and get through Splatterhouse, Castlevania, and Dead Space 2 this month. I'm going to drop Splatter house to easy difficulty just so I can see the game and get through it quickly. I'm on disc 2 of Dead Space 2 so that shouldn't take too awful long, and Castlevania will be sprinkled throughout. All in all, this goal seems possible! Oh yeah, I'm pretty far into Amnesia on PC as well, so I'll throw that into the mix whenever I can.

Doing a quick count earlier, I defiantly have a lot of horror themed games to play through. I really had to narrow it down to something workable for the month!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You need to play Deadly Premonition!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:You need to play Deadly Premonition!
Yeah, yeah, I know!

Btw, there is no easy setting for Splatterhouse. At least not within my save. It's really no problem since the game is already pretty easy anyway. I finished chapter 2 (or 3?) last night!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Hehe, Splatterhouse is a fun little game.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z