What Wii games to buy?...

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

What Wii games to buy?...

Post by Ransure »

So I got this bestbuy giftcard from work... and I want some Wii games... Im trying to figure out which ones to buy, and I can get 3. Im thinking I should preorder Metroid, Mario, and either Final Fantasy or Sonic....

But whats really worth it.. I own Xmen for the Wii and Ive played it for 5 mins.... I dont like it, i think this is going to be a consol that will shine with games that are made for it, like zelda. Games that are ports are gonna suck ass.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Akanae »

my top 3 picks:
Elebits - this game is a lot of fun, and really makes good use of the controller, I haven't played around with the multi player yet but the one player story is good. When you beat a map you also have the option of going back and editing it, which is a pretty neat feature.

Excite Truck - Some people catch on to the controls on this right away, and other struggle with them a bit (it's pretty sensitive). I have a lot of fun with it and think its a great racing game for the Wii.

Zelda - This game is awesome, I'm a big fan of the Zelda series and I have not been disappointed in this game at all. They did a good job with all the controls/combo system etc and I am loving the story line. (BTW Target has Zelda $10 off this week)

Some other good titles:

Rampage - I've only played the multi player portion of this game but it is pretty fun, the controls aren't as responsive as they could be but for a $20 game I think it's well worth picking up.

Red Steel and Trauma Center -
I haven't had a chance to play these titles yet but I have heard good things about them. It sounds like the controls in Red Steel are about on par with the kind of control you can get with a normal console, but not as good as mouse/key board combo. And it sounds like Trauma Center is fun but crazy hard once you get past the first few levels.

Do not recommend:
Rapala Tournament Fishing- the graphics are bad and the game play is very shallow. You might have fun with this for 15 min or so but it doesn't have replayability.
Monkey Ball - They made the main game too hard and added too many mini games, there are a few mini games that are kind of fun but finding them out of the 47 shitty ones is not fun.

Thats all I have in my house right now, of course any upcoming Nintendo titles like Mario and Metroid are going to rock, I'm also excited about Warioware.
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Already got zelda, maybe Ill consider Excite truck and Rampage (I used to love Rampage at the arcade).... But I really think Im just gonna use these giftcards for preorders.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

From the title of the game, I was thinking of an entirely different premise.

Mine was more fun.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The 360 has no response to that but the PS3 does have the George Foreman grill mod found elsewhere in this forum!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've messed around with the DS one. It's goofy yet interesting at the same time for some reason. It works well with the stylus and touch screen. Not sure how well it would translate to the Wii controllers.

--
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

i hated cooking mama for the DS but my fiance loves it.

elebits is my favorite game for the wii. i actually had a dream the other night where instead of zapping elebits, i got to crush them with my fingers.

i also like rayman for when friends come over and we want to avoid talking to each other.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: What Wii games to buy?...

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ransure wrote:So I got this bestbuy giftcard from work... and I want some Wii games... Im trying to figure out which ones to buy, and I can get 3. Im thinking I should preorder Metroid, Mario, and either Final Fantasy or Sonic....

But whats really worth it.. I own Xmen for the Wii and Ive played it for 5 mins.... I dont like it, i think this is going to be a consol that will shine with games that are made for it, like zelda. Games that are ports are gonna suck ass.
If you are talking about the new Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game I wouldn't waste your time or money. The first one was possible the worst game that was ever made for any console.

My girlfriend bought (is buying) me a Wii for xmas but we can't find one anywhere so far, I am just really looking forward to playing Zelda at this point.
Zygar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zygar »

Must have:
Zelda

Good:
Elebits
Rayman (a blast when you play multiplayer)
Excite Truck
Madden (if you don't have any other version)
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I downloaded Rayman for the PC to try it out, and its a little rushed for christmas for the PC it seems, since there is a 5 page thread on the official Rayman forums about an error in the start exe file when trying to start the game, seem like it hit most people with a Gforce 7800 series card :(.
But it looked fun on the demo.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just wanted to let everyone know that my Wii search is starting to eat away at my soul, and I don't know how much more I can take.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Hesten wrote:I downloaded Rayman for the PC to try it out, and its a little rushed for christmas for the PC it seems, since there is a 5 page thread on the official Rayman forums about an error in the start exe file when trying to start the game, seem like it hit most people with a Gforce 7800 series card :(.
I have a 7800 and and no problems with it at all.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

miir wrote:
Hesten wrote:I downloaded Rayman for the PC to try it out, and its a little rushed for christmas for the PC it seems, since there is a 5 page thread on the official Rayman forums about an error in the start exe file when trying to start the game, seem like it hit most people with a Gforce 7800 series card :(.
I have a 7800 and and no problems with it at all.
Yeah, after more info came out, it seems that its more random that that, god knows why. The fun thing, i can play the DEMO of it, works fine, but the final game dies on me.

The REALLY fun part is that it seems to have a shitload of issues due to some recycled code from their other games, like the game appearantly having same ID code as King Kong (also from UBI soft), and seems to love to install itself in the King Kong dir, and trying to install it will give the "modify, repair, remove" window for King King, modifying will install RR IN the King King dir. Same happens if you try to install King Kong while having Rayman installed.
It also seems to on a few PCs give error messages referencing to Beyond Good and Evil (yet another UBI Soft game, with same .exe name as RR have).
As for the jade_enr.exe error, there is so far a 9 page post on the UBI Soft forums about it, a few people managed to get it to work with a mix of various fixed exes from GameCopyWorld (not exe files to fix the bug, but to make the game not require the DVD in the drive), others (including me) still cant get it to work.
And UBI Soft dont really seem to care all that much, was one post from a UBI soft employee from the 16th aboum him looking into it, and nothing since then :(

Oh well, eventually some crackers will find a way around the bugs, so people who bougth the game can actually get to play it im sure :)

But on the bonus side, the demo is pretty funny :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I'm thinking about picking a Wii up after work, mostly for playing with several friends when we're drinking at the house. What do I need?

If I get 4 controllers (I'm assuming it supports 4), do I need them all to be the nunchuks?

What's the best game to pick up for multi-player fun? I know that I want to get trauma center, as I have some friends that really like that. Beyond that, I haven't paid much attention to the Wii.

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You need at least 2 chucks so you're not the only one who looks like he's having a seisure.

p.s. I haven't seen any Wii for sale on any online retailers since well before Christmas.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Apparently there are (or were, as of an hour ago) 7 at my local target, so I'm planning on going there right after work.

Go Blue!
Zygar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zygar »

It supports 4 controllers. All games will use the wii-mote so you'll need to buy 3 of them, and most will use the nunchuck (the only one that uses the chuck in wii sports is boxing)

Multiplayer fun:
Wii sports(packed in free)
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Warioware:Smooth Moves
Super Monkeyball:Banana Blitz
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Are the wii-mote and nunchuck mutually exclusive? Like if I planned on getting a couple nunchucks, would i only need 2 wii-motes? Or do I need 4 wii-motes + up to 4 nunchucks?

Go Blue!
Zygar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zygar »

Gotta have a wii-mote in order to use a chuck, but can use the wii-mote by itself on games that don't require the chuck.
Zygar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zygar »

Same goes for the classic controller as well. Both it and the chuck are add ons for the wii-mote
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Oh, okay, cool. Thanks for the help!

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

If you can find a copy of it, I would pick up Wii Play. It is something like wii sports, but it has pool, darts, air hockey, etc and it also comes with a wii mote. I was going to reserve it at the gamestop by me, but they were only taking 10 reservations for it because apparently it is going to be scarce when it is shipped.

I am going to show up at Best Buy the day it comes out right when they open and try to grab it, I think the release date is the 12th of feb.
Last edited by Funkmasterr on January 26, 2007, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Darts sounds like fun.

I love the boxing game the most, but my shoulders feel otherwise!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

wii play also comes with an extra wiimote!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Got my Wii 2 days ago. Drove to get some chicken, saw a UPS truck in front of EBgames and decided what the hell, I will go check and see.

Prior to finding mine, I had hit up the same EB at least a dozen times, and WalMart every morning after work.

The Wii shipments are still only coming in via UPS it seems, so just ask your local retailers what time UPS stops by and time your visits to thier stores just afterwards.

Yeah.. I walked into the EBgames as Mr UPS was walking out. The clerk had a box on the counter and I asked if he just got some Wii's in... he said, "lets see", as he got a box cutter. Yep, as he opened the box, 3 Wii's in there.

I got one, and 2 other people in the store heard us talking and bought the other 2. They are still going that fast.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Got my Wii the other day and it is simply put a blast. Zelda is easily the greatest game ever, elebits is amazing in how it uses the controllers... far more fun than I expected.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

A man with a fork
In a world of soup
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

double post
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I've only fooled around with the little sports games that come with it (I think?). The boxing and bowling ones to be precise. Both are pretty damned simplistic, and I'm not really sure how people can get so into them for hours. But I have to admit, it's fun doing fucked up throws in bowling. Let your guy bring the arm forward and hold the ball in front of him, then release and watch that baby fly!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Dregor Thule wrote:I've only fooled around with the little sports games that come with it (I think?). The boxing and bowling ones to be precise. Both are pretty damned simplistic, and I'm not really sure how people can get so into them for hours. But I have to admit, it's fun doing fucked up throws in bowling. Let your guy bring the arm forward and hold the ball in front of him, then release and watch that baby fly!
I don't play it a whole lot by myself, more of a weekend thing when we have people over drinking, etc. However, you should do the training stuff if you are playing single player, they offer a little variety and are pretty fun & challenging.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Call of Duty 3....Friggen awesome...I'm addicted.
Timmah.

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Soreali wrote:Call of Duty 3....Friggen awesome...I'm addicted.
I picked up the Official XBox Magazine the other day and the demo (that never hit XBox Marketplace) was on it. I was absolutly impressed with it. Fantastic looking game. I'm hopeing to pick it up eventually.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I finally got mine yesterday. WhenTarget had some in stock last week they sold out as I was on my way there. If you're still looking for one, I highly recommend http://www.itrackr.com. For $1.99 you can sign up and it'll send a text to your phone when it is in. My text went off yesterday and I called the store and the operator wasn't even aware that they had them in stock yet. When I got there they were still in the back of the place, took them like 10 minutes to go find one for me, but I have one now, yay.

Trauma Center and Wii Sports were both a lot of fun. They were out of stock on Zelda, and I need to look more closely at whatever else I want to get.

Anyone know an online place where I can still preorder Wii Play? Or have a place the recommend for buying games? I've never ordered video games off the internet, I usually buy them at a store.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus,
All of the places that I have seen pre orders available are out of stock now. However, I took the day off next Monday, so I am going to show up at the store 30 minutes before they open- hopefully there aren't many others thinking along the lines.

If I was you I would try and go somewhere before work/during lunch.. or if you are really wanting to get it maybe find a 24 hour Walmart to harass.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I know they have component video cables for the Wii, do they have any better audio cables as well?

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Picked up some classic controllers, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves and Zelda this weekend. Also dl'ed Mario Kart 64, christ that game is fun to play with friends.

Initially I was hesitant to get Wario Ware, it didn't sound like something I'd like, but a friend I was with thought it sounded cool so I figured I'd buy it. It is a lot of fun and quite funny, I definitely recommend it. Don't know if it would be fun to play by yourself but seeing how ridiculous people look playing it, as well as just the funny stuff they put in the game (the disco cats level was a real crowd pleaser, as is the voice that describes the different "form" techniques); I don't know if I've ever laughed as much playing a console game. Definitely recommend it.

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

How are the controls on the Wii version? With the PSP after a certain point it just about became impossible to progress (for me) which I found rather frustrating and made me give up the game.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I don't own a Wii, nor have I read any of the above posts, but I can say for sure that Excite Truck is a fucking blast.

Turbo boost off jumps, tricks, appropriate sensitivity, GREAT LEVEL DESIGN... it's just a good fucking time. You can feel yourself rocking back and forth as you sail through half a lap airborne, earning more boost for landing softly.

I'm kind of a racing game whore so I was good from the start, but anybody can play this game if they're not all giddy and retarded. 5 stars for sure.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Aslanna wrote:
How are the controls on the Wii version? With the PSP after a certain point it just about became impossible to progress (for me) which I found rather frustrating and made me give up the game.
On the Wii version you hold the remote sideways and tilt it to tilt the tray. It's great, of course ;)

We did the PS2 version after the PSP and in the process we made the game easier and added more levels (so we had over 200). Then for the Wii we dropped it back to the same number of levels as the PSP by cutting out some chaff. And did another tuning pass to make it easier still. I cannot deny that despite our efforts the PSP version is too difficult once you pass world 3 or 4. At least you can skip levels though. . .
The Wii version also has a better renderer, widescreen, 480p etc etc. and supports the Classic controller if you prefer to use a joystick.

Look for it in late May, btw. There have been some problems getting it though Nintendo QA.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

vn_Tanc wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
On the Wii version you hold the remote sideways and tilt it to tilt the tray. It's great, of course ;)

We did the PS2 version after the PSP and in the process we made the game easier and added more levels (so we had over 200). Then for the Wii we dropped it back to the same number of levels as the PSP by cutting out some chaff. And did another tuning pass to make it easier still. I cannot deny that despite our efforts the PSP version is too difficult once you pass world 3 or 4. At least you can skip levels though. . .
You could skip levels which was nice but unless you completed enough you couldn't advanced to the next lab. I'm not sure how far I made it. I think when I gave up there were still 2-3 labs locked.

Are the Wii levels basically the same ones that were in the PSP version?
The Wii version also has a better renderer, widescreen, 480p etc etc. and supports the Classic controller if you prefer to use a joystick.

Look for it in late May, btw. There have been some problems getting it though Nintendo QA.
Sounds good. I'll be sure to check the reviews when it's released!

--
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Are the Wii levels basically the same ones that were in the PSP version?
Yeah about half of them will be the same geometry sets as the PSP version but they'll have the new graphics and some logic tweaks. The rest will be different.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Is this/when will this be out in the US? Looks like fun, I've never played the PSP version(s).

Go Blue!
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Good Wii Games at the moment:
Excite Truck, Wii Sports (for parties), DBZ, and maybe Zelda
My wife also liked Trauma center for a while, but then Atlus Games could shit in a box and we would still buy it.

As for the PSP, the PSP version of Pirates really kicks ass, aside from the load times which get annoying. For a casual play on the long ride game, however, its pretty good.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Sylvus wrote:Is this/when will this be out in the US? Looks like fun, I've never played the PSP version(s).
Look for it in late May, I reckon. Barring any problems it should get gold master approval early this week then 6-ish weeks for manufacture+ship.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Current recommendation for the Wii - Super Paper Mario. This is a fun game. I'm not sure how much replay value there may be but that's because I haven't finished it yet. It's nice that they didn't overuse the motion sensing part of the controller. You mainly use it like a standard controller other than when you want to utilize one of the Pixl's abilities. On the other hand I think they did overuse having to switch characters/pixls to do things in certain worlds.

As for Call of Duty 3... I tried it and decided I did not like the controls at all. They are all over the place. FPS games really need a mouse and keybard in my opinion. Contollers just can't cut it. Especially when they are motion sensing.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

At least based on Metacritic it looks like there's some decent Wii games here finally showing up. Only a year later. For the longest time most of the titles were red or yellow with a few green (mostly Nintendo titles) here and there. Here's a list of their high scores along with their cumulative rating:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 97
2. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The 95
3. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition 91
4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 90
5. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure 87
6. Super Paper Mario 85
7. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 84
8. MLB Power Pros 83
9. WarioWare: Smooth Moves 83
10. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 83
11. Madden NFL 07 81
12. Trauma Center: Second Opinion 80
13. Mario Strikers Charged 79
14. LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga 77
15. Godfather: Blackhand Edition, The 77
16. Sims 2: Castaway, The 77
17. Battalion Wars 2 77
18. Rayman Raving Rabbids 76
19. Mercury Meltdown Revolution 76
20. Madden NFL 08 76

It looks like Super Mario Galaxy is at the top presently with a 97. Which is funny that's the rating IGN gave them. Has IGN ever given a 100? Anyway, lots of room for improvement though as there are only 4 titles in the 90s (PS3 has 2 and Xbox 360 has 10 along with a lof ot 80s).

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: It looks like Super Mario Galaxy is at the top presently with a 97. Which is funny that's the rating IGN gave them. Has IGN ever given a 100? Anyway, lots of room for improvement though as there are only 4 titles in the 90s (PS3 has 2 and Xbox 360 has 10 along with a lof ot 80s).
I'm listening to this weeks round of Gaming podcasts and the reviewers are going apeshit over Super Mario Galaxy so that looks like a winner. There are a ton of high quality games being released on all platforms in the next two weeks. tis the season!