When should one consume protein?

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

When should one consume protein?

Post by Sueven »

I work out in the afternoons, usually somewhere between 1-5.

When would eating protein be most beneficial for me?

Right now, I typically eat a protein bar an hour or two prior to working out, and a protein shake an hour or two after working out. Does that work? How much does the timing of your protein intake matter? Should I continue eating lots of protein on days when I don't work out?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: When should one consume protein?

Post by Aslanna »

Sueven wrote:When would eating protein be most beneficial for me?

Right now, I typically eat a protein bar an hour or two prior to working out, and a protein shake an hour or two after working out. Does that work?
I think I read somewhere that within an hour of a workout is when you should have something like a protein shake. I typically have mine within 15 minutes just because it's tasty.
Sueven wrote:Should I continue eating lots of protein on days when I don't work out?
Define 'lots'? You shouldn't consume more than you need. On any day. There's no benefit from excess protein. There are a few formulas out there to determine the amount of protein you need but I'm not sure what level of fitness they are geared for. Obviously someone with more muscle would need more protein than a non-fit person despite the weight being the same.

Anyway, my personal opinion is the amount of protein you should be consuming remains the same each day with that amount being based on what you actually need. But I'm no fitness guru so base that on nothing scientific.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to drink a shake right after working out-- at the least, I have to get changed, walk to a subway station, ride the subway, walk home, and then make a shake. That'll take at least an hour.

I guess I could eat a protein bar directly after working out, but I really prefer shakes, due to the fact that the bars are gross.
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Sueven wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the option to drink a shake right after working out-- at the least, I have to get changed, walk to a subway station, ride the subway, walk home, and then make a shake. That'll take at least an hour.

I guess I could eat a protein bar directly after working out, but I really prefer shakes, due to the fact that the bars are gross.
Carry an empty 20oz gatorade PET bottle with your protein powder inside it. After your workout, just head to the nearest convenience store and buy a pint of milk.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kelgar wrote:Carry an empty 20oz gatorade PET bottle with your protein powder inside it. After your workout, just head to the nearest convenience store and buy a pint of milk.
If you don't mind artificial sweetners (like splenda) there are even ones that mix with water that aren't too bad. I had some chocolate CytoSport or something awhile ago (didn't know it had Splenda in there when I bought it!) and it tasted fine with water.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

When i'm in my HardCore-periods, beside normal food (cod/rice,chicken/potatoes, shrimps/pasta, lots of veggies etc),
i have a proteinshake added to the breakfast (as well as all vitamins,Omega3 etc),drink a proteinshake max 30 mins after the workout(i do not let an hour pass) with creatine and before sleep i eat a can o tuna and drink Slooow Protein.

During the day i use Whey or similar products and Slow before sleepytime.

Casein is a slow-digesting source of amino acids as opposed to the fast-digesting whey protein, and also as an extremely high source of glutamine (post-workout). Another reason it is used in bodybuilding is because of its anti-catabolic effect, meaning that casein consumption inhibits protein breakdown in the body.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

420 eat steak everyday