Laptops!

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Laptops!

Post by Aslanna »

So.. As I will be driving back and forth between two cities (120 miles apart) for a few months for work, and staying in hotels and such, I thought it might be good to get a laptop. I don't need a gaming laptop but something that's not a total dog would be good. I'm wavering between buying new vs refurb. Anyone have any thoughts on Asus laptops? It seems decent but not sure I need to spend the extra $300. But I don't have any experience with refurbished laptops either and don't want something that is all beat up.

The new one does come with Windows 10 but I will probably just wipe that off and install Windows 7. Especially since it's the Home version.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Laptops!

Post by Kluden »

As I use dell latitudes for work for the past 15 years or so, I will say, they are plenty fine for pretty much everything but gaming. If you plan to do some gaming in your off time, even simple gaming, I would go for something with the discrete card in it. the 940m is a low end discrete card for laptops, so I would look for something with the 950m or better. Just in case. The 950m is about double the speed of a 940m. nvidia does not do a good job of identifying the line between low end to mid end.

After all, you said this is for work, so this laptop is 100% a tax write off, so spend a little more.

As for the asus, i know a few people with dedicated gaming laptop (desktop replacements) that are from Asus, and they seem to really like them. Although, their laptops are pretty big in comparison to the one you linked.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No idea on laptops. Seems whenever I research them I find either too powerful or too weak. Mid-range laptops seem to be less prevalent than in the past.

What kluden said about the discrete graphics card is probably the most important thing if plan to play any AAA games.

Also, don't forget about the new usb type-c ports (hella fast and reversible connections for less hassle). They're just coming into existence but would go a long way toward future proofing. And SSD of course.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I did end up going new and spending more that I probably should have and got an Asus G751 with a 965m in it. Not sure how I feel about it though.. It's really heavy! I'll probably end up returning it to Best Buy and getting one directly from Asus as they are selling the same one for $200 less than I paid. I will just upgrade to one with the 970m. The 980m model is too pricey for me and can't justify that. And of course they just announced the G752 so might go for that instead. Best Buy has their holiday return policy so they said I have until 02-Jan for returns with no restocking fee. Whaaat!

And it did come with Windows 10 which sucks. I'll keep it around just to see how annoyed I get with it (Windows 10) but I will more than likely install ClassicShell sometime soon. Trying to keep an open mind!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I ended up returning the G751. I discovered I don't really like using laptops so would rather do without. There were a few features of this laptop that made my decision to return it even easier:

1) It had Windows 10 on it.
2) There is a streaming app key above the Esc key which is surprising easily to hit.
3) Battery life is pitiful. Supposedly it was good for at least 4.5 hours, which I would be fine with, but I didn't encounter that. 3 hours if i was lucky. Even in sleep mode the battery drained fast.
4) DVD had an annoyingly sensitive eject button that I hit just about every time I moved the laptop
5) It's heavy as shit.
6) It was really more than I wanted to spend considering how I wouldn't be using it that often once I am no longer commuting between Indiana and Ohio
7 ) Did I mention it had Windows 10?

--