Support, Discussion, Reviews
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Roku, Chromecast, and similar devices

Post by Boogahz »

So, I have been wanting to "upgrade" a non-smart TV that I have, but I can't decide which type of device to get. Anyone have experience with any that are out there? I am trying to figure out what the differences are.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Roku, Chromecast, and similar devices

Post by Aslanna »

I don't know the "differences" but I do own a Roku 3. However as my TV is a Smart TV I no longer use it. Not sure that helps you at all though! What sort of experiences are you interested in knowing about?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

3 Apple TVs, a smart TV, and a Roku owner here.

If you already have an iphone or ipad, choose apple for all the interconnectivity. If you don't, get a Roku because it's cheaper and it's easy to customize.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Depends on what you want to do really. I mainly got my Roku to use Plex. But that's because I didn't do enough research to know that there was a Plex app available for my TV. Which actually (imo) worked better than the Roku version. What sort of customization are you referring to? For some, such as me, a Smart TV might be all that you need. Do your research and potentially save yourself $100!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have one Smart TV now, and the other is dumb. It is in the living room, and I am just looking into a few options to have different shows running almost in the background. I'm getting tired of using my 2nd monitor for that type of thing, especially when Win8.1 keeps letting stuff hijack my sound devices. Roku seemed to have a ton of stuff when I looked at it, which was kind of overwhelming. Chromecast doesn't really give much info on what it has, but says you can add more. That is kind of scary to get into without knowing what the possibilities are. Out of the "premium" services, the only one I subscribe to currently is Netflix.

Oh, and I have an Android phone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not saying the Roku is a bad device just that you need to consider what you want it for. I could see it being useful for 'dumb' TVs or even older Smart TVs which can be pokey or have less features. However for my usage it was redundant. Having said that it's only $100 new so can always buy one to evaluate and then return it if it doesn't meet your needs.

I have no opinion on the Chromecast. It costs less so it must do less RIGHT?!

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I'd prefer a dumb TV myself, too many things change and TVs potentially last to long to have the platforms tied together?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aabidano wrote:I'd prefer a dumb TV myself, too many things change and TVs potentially last to long to have the platforms tied together?
A smart TV can be used just as well as a dumb one. If too many things change then you just get an external device and add that. But most of the things are apps though which are easily updated.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I picked up a Chromecast via GroupOn last week, and I'm still not sure what to think about it. None of the apps run off of the stick itself. You basically push the service to it from your phone or Google Chrome running on the same network. I'm also not sure if it is just this device, but I keep getting "static" across a portion of the screen while watching a match on Watch ESPN. At least I don't have to watch it on my PC though! Tempted to check out the Amazon Fire stick, but I'm not a Prime member.