VeeshanVault

We Know Drama
It is currently December 6, 2019, 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 7:22 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:23 pm
Posts: 9378
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Canelek
Since I was about to further derail the free Origin thread...decided to move it here since the two heaviest hitters in the phone world are getting closer to release.

IPhone 5: Still the champ in overall innovation of hardware. Projected release this fall.
Samsung Galaxy SIII: Closest contender to the IPhone, imo, as well as the best utilization of Android OS. Projected release this summer...likely early July.

The Rest... Still waiting for HTC to jump in to challenge Samsung. Need more high end Android devices to further flesh out the platform.

---

Since I am done with Apple (aside from my rickety iPod harnessed in my glove box), and I lost my IPhone 4 in the ocean in May, I am going directly to the S3. Not the sexiest looking device, but it has a solid build, a huge screen, and plays nice with Windows as well as my Android tablet. The Siri-clone, I hear, is fairly shitty, but that is not something I care about.

I figure all the folks (including me) who got the IPhone 4 are able to do a new contract so as not to have to pay 750 for either device.

So, staying the course with Apple? Ready to un-tether from iTunes? Or, for the Android users....going to give the new shiny IPhone a try?



Quote:
Canelek wrote:
Winnow wrote:
iPhone 5


But only if you are already running the bloated Apple software...



I've been eying the Galaxy S3 and also the new Window Phone 8 platform looks promising. I was thinking of getting an S3 for the next few months until the iPhone 5 comes out. I really need a bigger screen. I'm not convinced the i5 will have what I want if it's just a stretched skinny screen to make it 4 inches diagonal.

_________________
en kærlighed småkager


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 7:31 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
Dragon Age: Origins

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 7:46 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:23 pm
Posts: 9378
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Canelek
Lol

_________________
en kærlighed småkager


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 8:47 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 6, 2002, 2:00 pm
Posts: 9422
Location: Austin, TX
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144
The Galaxy 3 looks good, and I haven't read anything beyond the original rumors about the iPhone 5 yet. Since the Samsung phone's release is so staggered worldwide, I am not sure we will really have good info on the performance for a while still.

I have heard people tout some benefits to using Android, but I wonder if they have really used anything other than that OS. I've been using my Android tablet for a few months now, and I am really not seeing any benefit over the more recent versions of iOS. Both suffer from some devices not being able to run some apps. The appstore has less bullshit floating around, but it is still the only place you can use. I've been using Google Play and the Amazon appmarket on the tablet. You have more ways to move things on and off of the android devices, but none are as streamlined as using one iTunes (even though it is a resource hog).

Those are the things that would hold me back on the Samsung phone, even though it still just feels like it would be a better phone than the current iPhone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 21, 2012, 9:15 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Canelek wrote:
Since I was about to further derail the free Origin thread...decided to move it here since the two heaviest hitters in the phone world are getting closer to release.

IPhone 5: Still the champ in overall innovation of hardware. Projected release this fall.
Samsung Galaxy SIII: Closest contender to the IPhone, imo, as well as the best utilization of Android OS. Projected release this summer...likely early July.

The Rest... Still waiting for HTC to jump in to challenge Samsung. Need more high end Android devices to further flesh out the platform.


If you don't mind being a little annoyed by this lady's voice and bad jokes, here's a two part (30 minute total) comparison between the two best Android phones out:

HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy S3

Part 1:
http://youtu.be/ijBzWmYnZGI?hd=1
Part 2:
http://youtu.be/Bi5eH1eMw_E?hd=1

(I warned you about the lady!) Lot of good looks and info on the phones though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 24, 2012, 5:06 am 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: April 11, 2003, 5:53 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Canberra
Having seen part 1, I have 2 comments:

1. S3 looks like the winner on a number of fronts, though I was very very uninterested in how saturated video playback might be...
2. Winnow is a racialist.

Thanks for the link :)

_________________
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 25, 2012, 3:43 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:40 pm
Posts: 8193
Location: Florida
Gender: Mangina
She's hot. What's annoying about her voice?

_________________
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 25, 2012, 5:42 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
There's nothing "wrong" with it. It's a pretty comprehensive comparison.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 28, 2012, 11:43 am 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 6:45 pm
Posts: 3427
I've been off contract for about a half a year but had to pull the trigger on a phone to keep my unlimited using my subsidy. i just could not pull the trigger on a S3 though. It has a good battery that's removable, a great big screen, fast unified processor, 2 GB of Ram(!), good sound, nifty software, but I am currently on a droid 1 and the differential seemed to much and I'm a pretty big stickler on build quality. I was really waiting for the Razr HD to at least pre-order by 6/27 but that didn't transpire. I ended up ordering a Razr Maxx in the end which should be arriving tomorrow. It's already a little older but I needed verizon, 4.0 is rolling out on it right now, a damn nice screen albeit with a lower ppi, a ridiculous battery, 4G, and is built like a tank.

never held the S3 but I visited the att store and futzed with the one x for a bit and it is a damn fine piece of hardware. Definitely has a 'holy shit' factor to it. And although it won't be getting windows phone 8, the lumia 900 was an incredible looking and feeling device.

my wife has the iphone. I really don't care for it. it's really not intuitive doing a lot of things so i'm not really sure how it got that label and the ios 6 presentation was very lackluster. however, they are built extremely well. If you're not in a rush, I'd wait until they unveil it just to see it.

_________________
Gorjah on Veesh

Chidoro on Permafrost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 29, 2012, 5:05 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Posts: 8887
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471
Wii Friend Code: unban cart
I'll have a upgrade available through verizon late this year sometime, so I'll be getting a new phone. I want to wait and see the specifics on the 5 and some of the other devices, but I have a har time believing I'd go back to Android. Unless they can release more than one phone per generation that will get all the newest updates the day the release, with no waiting for the carrier to push them, I won't use it. Also, all the really big screen I see on Android phones don't interest me. My iPhone already bugs me sometimes when I'm riding my motorcycle and it's in my jeans. I could stand to get a little bigger screen, but I have zero interest in the monster sized android phones I see.

I might consider a Windows phone if the iPhone5 doesn't sit well with me, but I'm not sure.

_________________
People of color puts people first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 29, 2012, 8:09 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:23 pm
Posts: 9378
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Canelek
S3 is impressive so far. Nice to have extra real estate. Keyboard blows so will find a better one.that is one thing Crapple got right!

_________________
en kærlighed småkager


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 10, 2012, 1:55 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 6:45 pm
Posts: 3427
Really enjoying my Maxx. I had it one night w/ 2.3 and got word to dl 4.04 the very next morning. The only thing I can see as an issue is the on screen keyboard stinks. Sideways, the keyboard covers up far too much of the screen, like it was meant for a 720 pixel width and not the 540 width on my phone.
It’s decent to hold. Coming from the droid 1, it was a transition. but when I use the old phone on wifi, the 3.7 inch screen is really a noticeable.
it's good to look around for apps again. I had no app space for on my original phone for nearly 2 years

_________________
Gorjah on Veesh

Chidoro on Permafrost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 10, 2012, 2:36 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:23 pm
Posts: 9378
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Canelek
I don't generally use a bunch of apps, and I have not looked at any games yet. I suppose I should since there is ample screen to work with now.

Video is fantastic! The big difference from the S2 is a much-improved brightness setting for sunny weather. It is still not on par with iPhone's screen outside, but it is good enough for me.

Kies (Samsung's organization/sync application) still sucks, but it isn't necessary really for me since I pretty much do everything at the folder level. It is so, so nice to be almost done with iTunes! Almost, because I still use a iPod in my car and like to swap out music now and again.

And the bestest thing ever.... USB->microUSB. Yay!

_________________
en kærlighed småkager


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 12:44 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 3:31 pm
Posts: 5290
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k
I would like that S3. I would not pay a nickel for any Apple product.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 1:03 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
I would like that S3. I would not pay a nickel for any Apple product.


Of course you wouldn't pay a nickel for an Apple product. You'd pay a lot more than that!

On my new Samsung "Smart" TV there is an App that lets you watch Korean TV shows. I checked one out and everyone in the show had a Galaxy S3. It was kinda funny seeing every person in the show holding huge phones. They looked monstrous. It almost seemed like they were Galaxy Notes.

edit: nm, after checking some galaxy note images for size reference, they were all wielding galaxy notes.


Last edited by Winnow on July 11, 2012, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 1:20 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 6:45 pm
Posts: 3427
Winnow wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
I would like that S3. I would not pay a nickel for any Apple product.


It almost seemed like they were Galaxy Notes.


Image

It is big, but it's not Note big.

I'd never consider a smaller screen than the 4.3" on my Maxx. Web browsing is truly usable at that size. The S3 with its 720P screen and 4.8" is even better.

_________________
Gorjah on Veesh

Chidoro on Permafrost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: July 11, 2012, 2:00 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:23 pm
Posts: 9378
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Canelek
The S3 is not much bigger than the S2 and actually thinner (from what I could see side by side). Sure it is a big phone, but it fits fine in jeans pocket.

Of course, if you wear skinny-jeans or designer jeans, you should probably get a Apple or Hanna Montana phone.

_________________
en kærlighed småkager


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 23, 2012, 2:00 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: September 10, 2002, 1:49 pm
Posts: 1215
Location: Cape May, NJ
Gender: Male
I have been holding onto my upgrade for awhile now. Still using the Droid 2.2 and wanting the Razr HD. If the rumor mill is valid, it should be finally releasing in October, which is shitty marketing imo since the crapple 5 will be out in September and Moto needs to push before them.

_________________
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 14, 2013, 7:40 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Image

Interesting how Apple is able to brainwash so many with such a small advertising budget.

Samsung really floods the consumer with ads! >1 Billion for Apple vs <10+ Billion for Samsung.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 14, 2013, 8:10 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
You gotta spend money to make money!

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 14, 2013, 8:54 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Posts: 8887
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471
Wii Friend Code: unban cart
From the many articles I've read stating how they could really start to cut into the iPhones market with the S4, it might pay off. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

_________________
People of color puts people first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 14, 2013, 9:14 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
Also Samsung does a lot more than just smartphones. Are those marketing expenses just for phones or for their entire electronics division? It has Samsung electronics advertising and Samsung marketing expenses... yet no other company has "marketing expenses" displayed. That chart seems a rather large amount of fail when it comes to conveying actual useful information.

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 14, 2013, 10:03 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Aslanna wrote:
Also Samsung does a lot more than just smartphones. Are those marketing expenses just for phones or for their entire electronics division? It has Samsung electronics advertising and Samsung marketing expenses... yet no other company has "marketing expenses" displayed. That chart seems a rather large amount of fail when it comes to conveying actual useful information.


Apple doesn't have iMacs, MacAirs, MacPros,iPods, iPads, Apple TVs?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 2:29 am 
Offline
Gets Around
Gets Around

Joined: November 13, 2002, 9:49 pm
Posts: 175
Samsung does phones, mp3 players, televisions, monitors, hard drives, ssds, a variety of household appliances (probably all of them!), tablets, cameras, dvd and blu ray players, laptops, printers, hell even vaccums. And more. Oh and they are actually affordable. Apple can't touch that, sorry.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 2:33 am 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
Winnow wrote:
Apple doesn't have iMacs, MacAirs, MacPros,iPods, iPads, Apple TVs?


Not nearly to the same extent. And again what's the two Samsung categories? Based on that chart Samsung's advertising, which incidentally is the only category shown for Apple, is 4 billion not 10+. No clue what "marketing expenses" entails as it's not explained. If it's not advertising what's the other ~7 billion for?

If that was their Chart of the Day they suck at chart making.

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 4:35 am 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: April 11, 2003, 5:53 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Canberra
The actual figures for 2010/11 pretty easily available for "all of Samsung" http://www.samsung.com/au/aboutsamsung/ ... rt_Eng.pdf

But I can't see where they get the numbers for this graph...

_________________
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 9:10 am 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Looks like the new Samsung phone should have been called the Galaxy SIIIs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 1:53 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
From what I see, the HTC One would be the Android phone to get if you're not getting an iPhone:

http://gizmodo.com/5990716/htc-one-revi ... is-a-beast


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 3:40 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Posts: 8887
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471
Wii Friend Code: unban cart
Did you actually read about the S4? From what I have read (no reviews as of yet since it was only unveiled yesterday), the S4 sounds like it will be better than that, even if by a small margin.

_________________
People of color puts people first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 3:46 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Posts: 8887
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471
Wii Friend Code: unban cart
Also, not expandable is basically a deal breaker for me. I have had to delete shit off my 32GB iPhone several times because I'm out of space, and if I had the space I'd blow past 64GB and use it to completely replace my ipod/ipod mini. Size is also going to play a major factor, I have to actually see both of them before I make my decision. During the summer I ride my motorcycle whenever it's not raining, so my phone needs to be able to fit comfortably in my front pants pocket without worry of it breaking. A friend of mine got the Note 2, and I played with it a bit the other night. That phone is definitely bigger than I want, so whatever I get will definitely have to be smaller.

_________________
People of color puts people first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 3:54 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Funkmasterr wrote:
Also, not expandable is basically a deal breaker for me. I have had to delete shit off my 32GB iPhone several times because I'm out of space, and if I had the space I'd blow past 64GB and use it to completely replace my ipod/ipod mini. Size is also going to play a major factor, I have to actually see both of them before I make my decision. During the summer I ride my motorcycle whenever it's not raining, so my phone needs to be able to fit comfortably in my front pants pocket without worry of it breaking. A friend of mine got the Note 2, and I played with it a bit the other night. That phone is definitely bigger than I want, so whatever I get will definitely have to be smaller.


I watched the entire stupid "musical" presentation of the S IV. it was a really awkward hour of weirdness.

Mostly gimmicks were introduced. stuff you won't use

If you're going to be riding a motorcycle, you probably want the HTC One since it's machined from a solid block of aluminum , while the Samsung's always feel like cheap plastic that creak.

I never come close to filling 32GB on my iphone so 64GB would be enough for me on a phone but if you must load a bazillion songs, then I guess you'd need something with 64 + expansion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 5:43 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: September 10, 2002, 1:49 pm
Posts: 1215
Location: Cape May, NJ
Gender: Male
I picked up the Razr HD Maxx, might want to look into that for size. 32GB internal +32GB Micro SD. Damn near indestructable as it is made with kevlar and has gorilla glass that I cannot scratch (no screen protector and it has been put in the same pocket with my keys). Battery life is insane as well.

_________________
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 9:41 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: November 13, 2002, 7:12 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: D.C.
the S4 has same width as S3, 0.8mm shorter, and 0.7mm thinner, screen is larger, bezel is smaller. I'm not sure why they chose to keep the plastic housing though. I'm an HTC guy (rooting is a lot easier on HTC's with dev unlock), so I'll probably be going with the One later this year when its renew time, but the S4 will be on the comparison list once they get them in to reviewers hands. I really like the HTC's aluminum housing, and side to side full glass, no bezel. but again, won't know till they are out, reviewed, and I can fondle them both like a pair of titties at the store.

I'd embed the picture, but it won't work...here's the link: http://gsminsider.com/wp-content/upload ... -vs-s4.png

The S4 is the white one on the left, in case they look too similar to you :)


edit: read size specs backwards, S4 is 0.8mm shorter, same width, and 0.7mm thinner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 3:44 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Image

Image

Samsung took over Times Square with their mega (brainwash you people) budget but LG got in a nice troll. Check the top sign.

Here's the article if they red-x:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/16/41102 ... -s4-launch

Watch that advertising budget explode! Yet you people still think it's Apple brainwashing people. Sheep!

The more I see these new phones, the more impressed I am with the iPhone 5's design. I'm also thinking Apple has it right with the 4" screen. I don't use a case. The thing is so light, pure black, easy to hold and use with one hand, and rock solid. It's possible I might go 5" in the future, mostly due to getting older and Presbyopia setting in just like everyone else as they get older, but holding and carrying around the iPhone 5 is great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 5:05 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
I'm not really sure a bunch of advertising qualifies as brainwashing. Just looks like a bunch of signs to me!

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 5:14 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: September 23, 2003, 10:34 am
Posts: 4753
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Aslanna wrote:
I'm not really sure a bunch of advertising qualifies as brainwashing.

That's what advertising is.

_________________
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 7:56 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Quote:
I’ve worked with both the Android SDK and Cocoa Touch. I’d say that Cocoa Touch is more advanced. It quickly becomes pretty obvious that the rendering / animation engine in iOS is based on Quartz from OS X and Android’s is basically something google has made from scratch. It shows when you pay close attention to things like subpixel rendering and view animations. Navigating apps on android still feels like you’re using static webpages.

Also things like the Navigation Stack and Core Data are just better thought out and show in the apps


No wonder Android apps feel sticky and jerky compared to iOS apps.

It's really no contest when it comes to apps. They're much smoother and almost always better designed on the iOS over Android.

The only feature I find better on Android is Google voice but that's also available on iOS, as will be Google Now shortly. If you've been keeping up on the map situation, Apple Maps is catching up to Google Maps quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 9:07 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
If your feeble mind can't see a few advertisements without going out and buying everything then yeah I guess it's brainwashing.

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 9:18 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: September 23, 2003, 10:34 am
Posts: 4753
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Aslanna wrote:
If your feeble mind can't see a few advertisements without going out and buying everything then yeah I guess it's brainwashing.

Brainwashing is resistible.

_________________
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 9:43 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: April 11, 2003, 5:53 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Canberra
Winnow wrote:
Quote:
I’ve worked with both the Android SDK and Cocoa Touch. I’d say that Cocoa Touch is more advanced. It quickly becomes pretty obvious that the rendering / animation engine in iOS is based on Quartz from OS X and Android’s is basically something google has made from scratch. It shows when you pay close attention to things like subpixel rendering and view animations. Navigating apps on android still feels like you’re using static webpages.

Also things like the Navigation Stack and Core Data are just better thought out and show in the apps


No wonder Android apps feel sticky and jerky compared to iOS apps.

It's really no contest when it comes to apps. They're much smoother and almost always better designed on the iOS over Android.

The only feature I find better on Android is Google voice but that's also available on iOS, as will be Google Now shortly. If you've been keeping up on the map situation, Apple Maps is catching up to Google Maps quickly.


I know that you're a massive fan of unattributed quotes, but I'll bet my left nut that "worked with both" is the same as me saying "I've lived in both Australia and America".

_________________
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 16, 2013, 10:31 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Zaelath wrote:

I know that you're a massive fan of unattributed quotes, but I'll bet my left nut that "worked with both" is the same as me saying "I've lived in both Australia and America".


Not in this case. Andoid apps really do suck balls compared to iOS apps unless you like to do the herky jerky. It's easy to see if you use the same apps on both OS's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 1:42 am 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: April 11, 2003, 5:53 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Canberra
Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:

I know that you're a massive fan of unattributed quotes, but I'll bet my left nut that "worked with both" is the same as me saying "I've lived in both Australia and America".


Not in this case. Andoid apps really do suck balls compared to iOS apps unless you like to do the herky jerky. It's easy to see if you use the same apps on both OS's.


So give attribution for the quote.

And just because someone bothers to polish their iOS app and push out a port to Android, doesn't make them "the same app". I don't have any herky jerky apps on the Nexus 4, perhaps you need to spend more than $5 on an android phone.

_________________
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 8:14 am 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:06 pm
Posts: 8504
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo
If the next iphone does not significantly increase screen size, my family probably jumping ship when my contract is up. Galaxy or Windows phone, I'll see what's out there when the time comes. My kids will get our old iPhones as ipod replacements (they have our old 3Gs now).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 4:46 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Posts: 27130
Location: A Special Place in Hell
Fairweather Pure wrote:
If the next iphone does not significantly increase screen size, my family probably jumping ship when my contract is up. Galaxy or Windows phone, I'll see what's out there when the time comes. My kids will get our old iPhones as ipod replacements (they have our old 3Gs now).



From pure speculation, I don't think the iOS or screen size will change significantly until 2014. Six months isn't long enough to to revamp the OS for Ives and crew.

Most likely, the next iPhone will be a "disappointing" 5s type release. While Android isn't as good as iOS (the actual apps), I do think Apple will start bleeding customers. People like Funk, who it seems after every new announcement for almost any product declares his "friends" are on the verge of switching to whatever it happens to be, will probably actually switch just to say they are doing something new. I'd consider it if the apps were on equivalent on Android but they clearly aren't. I had no trouble seeing that on my Nexus 7 which I've kept up to date with the latest 4.2.xxxxxxxx releases. I'm not going to sacrifice quality SDK/iOS design for a few bells and whistles on an otherwise sticky OS. I can't see any reason to switch beyond screen size. Worse apps? Worse SDK resulting in crappier apps? S IV announcement had a bunch of gimmicks. It's an SIIIs.

While I think Apple is about 6 months behind where they should be with iOS and new phone size options, I'm not going to jump ship just for the hell of it. Android has screen size going for it (for those that want larger phones in their pockets, and that's it. Not enough to change. Maybe if Android's next OS release is called Butter Bean and smooths out the jerkiness and also provides a more quality app experience, I'm going to enjoy better running apps on iOS until then with a rock solid, non creaking, hardware design.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 4:53 pm 
Offline
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
User avatar

Joined: September 23, 2003, 10:34 am
Posts: 4753
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Unless you don't own any other devices that allow you to watch movies/TV shows, play games, surf the Internet, etc., it seems kind of stupid to abandon a seemingly good phone if its newer model's screen size isn't significantly larger.

_________________
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 4:57 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:23 pm
Posts: 9378
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Canelek
Brainwashing? Like iApple doesn't do that on a daily basis with you sub-males.

_________________
en kærlighed småkager


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 5:17 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
I guess the point is they don't have to spend as much money doing it? I'm not sure, really!

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 5:19 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Joined: July 3, 2002, 1:06 pm
Posts: 8504
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo
Spang wrote:
Unless you don't own any other devices that allow you to watch movies/TV shows, play games, surf the Internet, etc., it seems kind of stupid to abandon a seemingly good phone if its newer model's screen size isn't significantly larger.


Abandon? I'm buying a new phone not dropping a baby off on the steps of the local church. If I can get a better deal on a comparable/better device with a lower monthly subscription plan why the hell wouldn't I? I'm losing absolutely nothing in this scenerio.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 5:24 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm
Posts: 11954
Oh no Fairweather has been BRAINWASHED!

_________________
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 17, 2013, 5:49 pm 
Offline
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
User avatar

Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Posts: 8887
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471
Wii Friend Code: unban cart
Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:
If the next iphone does not significantly increase screen size, my family probably jumping ship when my contract is up. Galaxy or Windows phone, I'll see what's out there when the time comes. My kids will get our old iPhones as ipod replacements (they have our old 3Gs now).



From pure speculation, I don't think the iOS or screen size will change significantly until 2014. Six months isn't long enough to to revamp the OS for Ives and crew.

Most likely, the next iPhone will be a "disappointing" 5s type release. While Android isn't as good as iOS (the actual apps), I do think Apple will start bleeding customers. People like Funk, who it seems after every new announcement for almost any product declares his "friends" are on the verge of switching to whatever it happens to be, will probably actually switch just to say they are doing something new. I'd consider it if the apps were on equivalent on Android but they clearly aren't. I had no trouble seeing that on my Nexus 7 which I've kept up to date with the latest 4.2.xxxxxxxx releases. I'm not going to sacrifice quality SDK/iOS design for a few bells and whistles on an otherwise sticky OS. I can't see any reason to switch beyond screen size. Worse apps? Worse SDK resulting in crappier apps? S IV announcement had a bunch of gimmicks. It's an SIIIs.

While I think Apple is about 6 months behind where they should be with iOS and new phone size options, I'm not going to jump ship just for the hell of it. Android has screen size going for it (for those that want larger phones in their pockets, and that's it. Not enough to change. Maybe if Android's next OS release is called Butter Bean and smooths out the jerkiness and also provides a more quality app experience, I'm going to enjoy better running apps on iOS until then with a rock solid, non creaking, hardware design.


You really are one of the most annoying people I've ever interacted with. I like the "friends" jab there, being as there is no way anyone publicly associates with you if you act anything like you do here in other parts of your life.

_________________
People of color puts people first.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group