Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:And MSFT is still raking in unbelievable amounts of cash.
And totally not relevant to the point that Windows 8 sucks and is doing poorly in the world.

Typical Winnow response though. Keep up the good work.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Except it's not. You seem to think it sucks. For me it's the best windows OS ever made. I learned in about .5 seconds to click the windows key one time and poof! just like Windows 7 but better.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Except it's not. You seem to think it sucks. For me it's the best windows OS ever made. I learned in about .5 seconds to click the windows key one time and poof! just like Windows 7 but better.
Based on the current adoption rate it has nothing to do with what I think. Or what you think. Apparently that' what you see to not comprehend.

I personally will not use it. You're free to do as you will.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PC environment has changed. It's stagnant at the moment. Not as many people buying new PCs and most people don't upgrade their current PC's OS.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Or... You could accept that a vast majority of people simply don't like Windows 8. Whether or not you agree with the reasons they have is not relevant. You like it? Great!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Windows 8.1 Feature Pack (previously known as Update 1) leaked last night from Windows Update itself last night.

I was able to update by Surface Pro before Microsoft plugged the hole.

There are some nice changes here that will make a nice impact to desktop users. I'm getting almost none of these new features by default as it was already a running machine

If you're using a keyboard and mouse:
In full screen apps, you'll have an overlay that appears at the top of metro apps when they mouse to where the title bar should be that includes the name of the application and an X to close the app.

If they have the option checked off to show running Metro apps in the taskbar, when they mouse to the bottom of the screen, the entire task bar will appear and they will be able to task switch normally.

You can pin metro apps to the task bar

Right clicking anywhere in the metro screen with a mouse will bring up a context sensitive, desktop type menu

In the upper right corner of the Start screen next to your account name, there is not a shutdown and a search icon

All in all, some nice refinements to the OS to bring some thing back in line with traditional usage scenarios.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Aslanna wrote:Or... You could accept that a vast majority of people simply don't like Windows 8. Whether or not you agree with the reasons they have is not relevant. You like it? Great!

I will never buy another HP computer, but I got a email lately saying "Back by popular Demand, Windows 7" Then touted that you could now buy your laptop with windows 7 if you wanted. That would indicate there is a pretty substantial market for moving back to 7. I don't remember this option for ME or Vista, or any other time frankly.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I don't really have a dog in this race but I heard an ad on the radio from a local computer store advertising the fact they can uninstall the cumbersome Windows 8 and upgrade your computer to Windows 7. I heard it yesterday and all I could think of was this thread!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Tyek wrote:I got a email lately saying "Back by popular Demand, Windows 7"
Marketing trying to get some business?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Tyek wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Or... You could accept that a vast majority of people simply don't like Windows 8. Whether or not you agree with the reasons they have is not relevant. You like it? Great!

I will never buy another HP computer, but I got a email lately saying "Back by popular Demand, Windows 7" Then touted that you could now buy your laptop with windows 7 if you wanted. That would indicate there is a pretty substantial market for moving back to 7. I don't remember this option for ME or Vista, or any other time frankly.
They (all the Tier 1 suppliers) had a lot of business laptops/PCs available with XP during the Vista debacle...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

You assume that the manufacturers ever stopped setting Win7 loaded machines in the first place. This was just advertising for those lines phrased in an unfortunate manner.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nah. MS pushed a lot of them to sell their computers with Win 8 installed. That doesn't mean you probably couldn't find some with Win 7 but Win 8 was what was being pushed and what was usually installed by default. Take off the blinders!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Got a new pc over the holidays with Win8.1 installed. I am having an issue that I can't find info on. The default sound device keeps getting changed to my wireless headphones or one of my monitors instead of my speakers. With do I need to do to make this stop?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Got a new pc over the holidays with Win8.1 installed. I am having an issue that I can't find info on. The default sound device keeps getting changed to my wireless headphones or one of my monitors instead of my speakers. With do I need to do to make this stop?
Right Click on little speaker and select Playback Devices. You should be able to set default for a device or disable one until you need it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I've done that many times. It still keeps changing to either the headset or the monitor, even when they've been disabled.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

To be fair this happens to me on Windows 7 as well. It was fine for months and months.. Then all the sudden I lost sound and I couldn't figure it out. Eventually I did and I set it back to 'Speakers' or whatever the option is. Then something causes it to change again at some random point in the future.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Boogahz wrote:Got a new pc over the holidays with Win8.1 installed. I am having an issue that I can't find info on. The default sound device keeps getting changed to my wireless headphones or one of my monitors instead of my speakers. With do I need to do to make this stop?
It's probably a similar issue to the "my sound keeps being turned down by itself".. Windows detects that you're making a phone call (which I never have with Win8) and I had to set "do nothing" in the communications tab. Who knows, setting that might also stop it trying to change devices as well.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Zaelath wrote:"my sound keeps being turned down by itself"
Was Annoyed by similar, nothing to do with Windows. My softphone used to switch my sound device automagically when it lost bluetooth connectivity for more than half a second or so. Updated BT drivers & client eventually made it go away.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

For better or for worse, another executive that was instrumental in the development of Windows 8, along with the cloud services and Windows Store, is leaving the company after 25 years.

For most of his career, Antoine Leblond worked with the Office team and Steven Sinofsky before they both moved to Windows. There they delivered the highly praised Windows 7 operating system and further guided Microsoft to deliver the modern experience delivered in Windows 8 and Windows RT.
Just another casualty of the disaster that is Windows 8.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
For better or for worse, another executive that was instrumental in the development of Windows 8, along with the cloud services and Windows Store, is leaving the company after 25 years.

For most of his career, Antoine Leblond worked with the Office team and Steven Sinofsky before they both moved to Windows. There they delivered the highly praised Windows 7 operating system and further guided Microsoft to deliver the modern experience delivered in Windows 8 and Windows RT.
Just another casualty of the disaster that is Windows 8.
This happened today:
5:44 am Sony CFO to retire; to be replaced by Deputy CFO Kenichiro Yoshida effective April 1Briefing.com(Mon 5:44AM EDT)
Sony's stock up over 19/share this morning. Guess they didn't like him either!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Weird. I didn't realize Kenichiro Yoshida had anything to do with Windows 8!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

He was the last part left of the Sinofski regime. These people don't usually thrive under new management. Was only a matter of time until he left.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

...AAAAAND the start menu is officially coming back..

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/557483 ... experience
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

crybabies!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I dunno about that. I would consider deploying this at the office. Current 8.1, no way in hell.

As long as I can get the current 8.1 experience still on my Surface Pro I'm fine with that.

One of the other big news items out of build is that OEM's will be able to get a Windows License for FREE on Phone as well as Tablets under 9". Not sure if this is just Windows Phone and RT or if this includes Intel-based versions.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Too bad it still has that terrible Metro look. Look at that first screenshot.. Hideous!
It's around the same size as the Windows 7 menu, but also features miniature Live Tiles along one side.
It's such a design nightmare!

Regardless, Start Menu was/is just one reason why Windows 8 blows. You could always get that with an addon anyway from what I remember.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hope there's an option to disable the start menu!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Here's a video from Scott Hanselman (Works on the Azure team at MS I believe) where he goes over the changes in the new Update for Windows 8.1

Lots of improvements for keyboard/mouse users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcW8wu0Qnew

The update should be live over Windows Update for everyone using 8.1.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Here's a video from Scott Hanselman (Works on the Azure team at MS I believe) where he goes over the changes in the new Update for Windows 8.1

Lots of improvements for keyboard/mouse users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcW8wu0Qnew

The update should be live over Windows Update for everyone using 8.1.
I'll acronis back up and then install it soon. Windows 8 was solid to begin with but 8.1 and 8.1 update make it better for the people that never figured out how to hit the windows key.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:....for the people that never figured out how to hit the windows key.
What would you say to an automaker who required you turn around once counterclockwise prior to entering your car, every single time? No it's not a terrible inconvenience, but it's a shitty interface that requires you to do so. Every single time.

I don't do anything I'm aware of that makes use of the interface they drop me into every time I log on.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
Winnow wrote:....for the people that never figured out how to hit the windows key.
What would you say to an automaker who required you turn around once counterclockwise prior to entering your car, every single time? No it's not a terrible inconvenience, but it's a shitty interface that requires you to do so. Every single time.

I don't do anything I'm aware of that makes use of the interface they drop me into every time I log on.
It's like pushing a keyless (well key in this case) door handle to enter your car. Love mine! It's not like they're asking you to get out your keys from your pocket to open the door.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Chinese Government Bans Windows 8 From Its Machines

The Chinese government has said it will not use Windows 8, the latest version of Microsoft’s venerable desktop operating system.
Welcome to the party, guys! Windows 8 should be buried out in the desert in a landfill. They can remove E.T. and put Windows 8 there instead.
According to Xinhua, the ban on Windows 8 has to do with computer security. Microsoft recently ended support for Windows XP, which has about a 70 percent market-share in China, according to Xinhua, and that means that an awful lot of computers are no longer getting security updates. Apparently, the Chinese government doesn’t want this sort of thing to happen again.

“The Chinese government obviously cannot ignore the risks of running OS without guaranteed technical support. It has moved to avoid the awkwardness of being confronted with a similar situation again in future if it continues to purchase computers with foreign OS,” Xinhua says.

What this means is that the government will focus on the open source Linux operating system instead. A Chinese distribution of the open source OS, Red Flag Linux, fizzled out earlier this year. But for more than a year now, the Britain-based Linux vendor Canonical has been working with with China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology on a follow-up distro, called Kylin.
Linux!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

China is all pissed off because they won't move off XP and Microsoft won't be updating it forever. They can still buy 7 which will be supported for a long time as well.

Who exactly will they turn to for support of whatever Linux flavor of the month they choose for the next 15 years? does anyone remember what Linux looked like 2 years ago, let alone in 1999.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Either that or maybe Windows 8 just really sucks! It's a mobile UI it doesn't belong on desktops!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9

It’s official, Windows 8 is a write-off . Sales for the operating system have been poor and now it is even starting to lose market share to Windows 7. To Microsoft’s credit it has bravely persisted addressing issue after issue. Most notable was the major Windows 8.1 Update 1 patch released in April which makes the OS a genuinely credible platform. Still it remains far from perfect and now Microsoft is prematurely pulling the plug.

In a blog post by Microsoft Senior Marketing Communications Manager Brandon LeBlanc, he explains that there will be no more major updates for Windows 8: “despite rumours and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1 ‘Update 2’.”
If only people would have figured out how to hit the Windows key! Windows 8... Xbox One.. Winnow has been backing a lot of Microsoft losers lately. How's that Surface doing?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm the one with the Surface and it's working fantastically well TYVM.

All the people that were responsible for Win8 have been sacked a while ago. Most of the changes that will be coming in Win 9 that the announced at build were originally supposed to come out in this rumored "update 2" but given that the Windows 8 name is about as well perceived as Vista and ME, they're taking all of this, calling it Windows 9.

It's pretty simple and it's worked in the past (see Windows 7)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My wife has a Surface Pro 2. I think it works fine. She never uses it though.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I just still wish every god damned program did not change my audio output device. Sometimes more than once while loading. I have to keep a playback device window open on my second monitor to force it back every fucking time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I just still wish every god damned program did not change my audio output device. Sometimes more than once while loading. I have to keep a playback device window open on my second monitor to force it back every fucking time.
That's a strange one. My speakers are the default sound and then I use the playback device to switch to my headset when needed. The only issue (and this isn't a Windows 8 issue) is if I forget to switch to my headset before launching certain games, I have to reload the game or the audio comes out of the speakers even if I switch. Seems most newer games don't have that issue. I haven't encountered random switching though.

This is also true for you tube videos. Try it. You can't switch on the fly while watching you tube. Need to reload the video if you change sources.

Windows 8 is the best/rock solid Windows OS I've ever used. People seem to have a hard time working around things. An analogy would be a super hot womanthat's naturally beautiful, intelligent and great in bed but she puts too much makeup on when she goes out. Who the fuck cares about the makeup as long as she takes that shit off when you get home? The public sees an over glossed face but you're banging a hot genius where it counts.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

[quote]An analogy would be a super hot womanthat's naturally beautiful, intelligent and great in bed but she puts too much makeup on when she goes out[\quote]
If the makeup were made of something like crushed orphan bunnies and you had to scrape it off the dishes, furniture and and carseats every time she walked anywhere nearby...

It's OK, but not a huge or obvious improvement over 7, or late versions of XP. Unless you have a touch device. MS touch devices have what market share? What utility do touch devices have in most day-to-day office work? (It's still a laugh watching the occasional iZealot who tries to work from an iPad.)

Sacking the people involved was inevitable but I'd bet those who signed off on this PoS are laughing all the way to the bank under their golden parachutes. Assuming they got canned at all.