Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Post by Aslanna »

I posted this in the other Windows 8 thread but since there are so many complaints out there it probably needs it's own.
User interface design guru Jakob Nielsen is none too pleased with what he's found in Windows 8, which he calls a "misguided" product.

Nielsen, who has spent much of his career analyzing all kinds of user interfaces, including most notably Flash software for Web animation, says that the new Windows 8 user interface "smothers usability with big colorful tiles while hiding needed features."
In the end, Nielsen believes that Microsoft has focused on tablets with Windows 8 to the detriment of PCs. He argues that while Windows 8 is "weak on tablets," it's "terrible for PCs," adding that "on a regular PC, Windows 8 is Mr. Hyde: a monster that terrorizes poor office workers and strangles their productivity."
Even UI design gurus think the UI sucks.
Most Windows users in the U.S. know about Windows 8 but few have immediate plans to upgrade to Microsoft's newest operating system.

What's more, about one-third of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP users who are ready to buy a new personal computer say they intend to switch to an Apple product.

Those are the findings of an unusually broad survey of Windows PC users conducted by antivirus company Avast and released exclusively to USA TODAY.

The survey results underscore lukewarm response to Windows 8, which introduces a radical new PC user interface involving use of a touch screen in addition to a keyboard and mouse.
Hey Microsoft, if you're trying to kill the PC market you're off to a good start with your latest crappy Windows 8.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Official Windows 8 Blows Thread

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 8 might be a completely new take on the Windows operating system, but it seems sales aren’t doing as well as some may have hoped. Online electronics and computer parts retailer Newegg says that they were “prepared for an explosion” at launch, but sales have “been slow going” so far. However, the retailer says that sales of Windows 8 may start taking off starting in Q2 2013 most likely.
'May start taking off'. Don't count on it! Not sure why they were preparing for an "explosion" though. Even at a $40 upgrade Windows 8 was overpriced and lack of interest was pretty low.

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

If I didn't have a keyboard, mouse or a 1920x1080 monitor the UI would be OK. Since I do have them it means more clicks to accomplish any task in Win8 than anything from Win 3.1 onwards. Assuming of course I don't want "tile vomit" as a working menu.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Used windows 8 the entire week and never went to the "Metro" screen. It has nothing to do with more "clicks". Probably even less clicks if you learn a few keyboard shortcuts.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

it still blows!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You're actually saving clicks if you use the Metro Start screen.
Just pin your most used programs to the start screen and they are right there ready to launch!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The people whining about the start menu remind of the people who whined about the missing program manager in windows 95!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I've been reading a few of the "Windows 8 sucks" articles and the comments end up being a lot of sucks but I haven't used it. Lots of people end up commenting that theory originally thought it would suck but end up really liking it. Only about 10% end up somewhere in the middle.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:I've been reading a few of the "Windows 8 sucks" articles and the comments end up being a lot of sucks but I haven't used it. Lots of people end up commenting that theory originally thought it would suck but end up really liking it. Only about 10% end up somewhere in the middle.
Kind of like a lot of people commenting about how bad the Wii U sucks but haven't used it. Symmetry!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Windows 8 got pummeled today by analysts, who cited it as a major factor in tepid PC growth.

The launch of a new Microsoft operating system rarely, if ever, goes smoothly. But Windows 8 is having an especially bumpy takeoff.

The first reason Deutsche Bank listed today for cutting its PC estimates this quarter was a "lackluster initial uptake of Windows 8," in a research note from analyst Chris Whitmore.

After citing the impact of amorphous factors like "macro weakness" and the "fiscal cliff," Whitmore continues:

As in past cycles we expect the introduction of a new Microsoft OS to spur an increase in PC demand. However...we believe Win8 will have a more muted impact than prior cycles for a several reasons: 1) Win8 reviews are mixed due to a confusing UI; 2) there is a lack of Enterprise interest in Window 8; 3) tablet form factor complicates positioning (Win8 vs. Windows RT), 4) continued substitution of PCs by iPads/tablets 4).

Windows 8's "confusing UI", aka user interface, is becoming a theme for analysts. Usability expert Jakob Nielsen said essentially the same thing today in a report.

And Topeka Capital Markets chimed in, saying Windows 8 orders have been weak.

"Much lower than...PC makers originally expected a few months ago," according to Topeka analyst Brian White.

Computerworld, which has tracked usage patterns of Windows 8 in the months leading up to, and including, the launch, found that the new operating system "is being run by less than a fifth as many people as ran Windows 7 in the same months before its debut."

http://m.cnet.com/news/57552196

Ouch!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Animalor wrote:I've been reading a few of the "Windows 8 sucks" articles and the comments end up being a lot of sucks but I haven't used it. Lots of people end up commenting that theory originally thought it would suck but end up really liking it. Only about 10% end up somewhere in the middle.
Kind of like a lot of people commenting about how bad the Wii U sucks but haven't used it. Symmetry!

Not really. Windows is actually a solid product with a misunderstood start screen. Wii appears to have pretty crappy setup with pretty average or below average hardware. Windows 8 upgrade/installation is outstanding. The smoothest upgrade I've ever had. Best version of Windows I've used. Incredibly stable.

I don't even think about it except for this thread which is a good thing. If it was causing me problems, I'd be thinking about it a lot. Really happy I upgraded my PC to Windows 8. Can't wait for the Surface Pro to be released so I can buy one.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

It's funny, there's nothing wrong with the UI if you don't have the desktop, and nothing wrong with the desktop if you don't have the UI.

It's the artificial composition of two completely different design objectives to create a "unified" design that's the problem.

Despite Winnow's objections, the UI is more than a start screen. Doesn't matter how much he says that crap either, it still isn't making people buy it.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Sister installed Windows 8 on the weekend, hit this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 68cd494406

basically none of the windows store apps would install, on a brand new, fresh install...

This also goes to "you don't have to use Metro" thing, since if you go to the Skype site from Windows 8 you're told to go to the Windows Store to download the app... for the Metro UI... which then fails... and you spend an hour troubleshooting and rebooting... and those solutions didn't actually work because it wouldn't allow the folder to be renamed because it was "in use"... after 3 attempts to stop wuauserv all timed out and a 4th said "that's already stopped".

She was pretty excited to find that she wasn't even allowed to pin Skype to her taskbar so she could start it from the same place as the rest of her apps.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

If you scroll slightly down in the download page, there's a link for Sype for the Desktop.

Direct URL: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-sky ... er/windows

I've seen that issue during the consumer preview. I simply Refreshed the PC to fix it. Under the Metro settings, under general, there's an option to refresh your settings without affecting files. It's essentially a factory reset but your files remain intact. You will have to re-install desktop apps I believe though.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Animalor wrote:If you scroll slightly down in the download page, there's a link for Sype for the Desktop.

Direct URL: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-sky ... er/windows

I've seen that issue during the consumer preview. I simply Refreshed the PC to fix it. Under the Metro settings, under general, there's an option to refresh your settings without affecting files. It's essentially a factory reset but your files remain intact. You will have to re-install desktop apps I believe though.
Factory reset on your main computer is a fairly intolerable solution to "Windows App Store ate itself".

Thanks for the link though :)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Store hasn't worked for me since install, haven't gone to the bother of fixing it yet.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:Store hasn't worked for me since install, haven't gone to the bother of fixing it yet.
Could be either you're in Administrator mode or aren't signed in with a windows live ID.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Or it could be that Windows 8... blows.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Or it could be that Windows 8... blows.
If it did that, it would be perfect.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I was talking to one of our IT guys who's in the group which is in charge of what ends up as 'the company standard' for my company in regards to OS and the like. Since we're (just now!) getting ready to deploy Windows 7 as the new standard throughout the company, I asked him what the chances were we'd ever go up to Windows 8. After much laughter his short was not only no, but if Microsoft remained with the metro UI the discussions in his group are already revolving around what to completely replace Windows with. When you start losing enterprise support as an OS creator, it matters.

When computer manufacturers (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) start getting flooded with calls about how crappy Windows 8 is, and it starts costing them more than it's worth to support, it matters.

This isn't similar to the move from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. That was an unquestionable improvement. People were excited for Windows 95. Nobody was excited for Windows 8. It's not an improvement, no matter how fucking ignorant you are and enjoy trying to debate the fact. It's not even about the loss of the Start button. It's about not replacing it with something better, faster and easier.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

People stuck with Windows XP a long long time. Some are still using it. It's not like companies switch to new versions of Windows right away. Nothing to see here.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote:When you start losing enterprise support as an OS creator, it matters.
Interesting article about that. At least I found in interesting.

And that brings us to Windows 8 itself, the laughing stock of the OS world. Not since Windows Vista has there been an OS so widely derided as 8. Initially it seems like a fun experience, but as we said, that halo wears off quickly.
The problem is that if you are locked in with a choice of 100% Microsoft or 0% Microsoft, once someone goes, it isn’t a baby step, they are gone. Once you start using Google Docs and the related suites, you have no need for Office. That means you, or likely your company, saves several hundred dollars a head. No need for Office means no need for Exchange. No need for Exchange means no need for Windows Server. No need for Office means no need for Windows. Once the snowball starts rolling, it picks up speed a frightening pace. And that is where we are. The barriers to exit are now even more potent barriers to entry.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I still get a chuckle out of this. It's the SAME os with some very nice back end and front end (desktop environment) updates. I don't even use metro. I can't use it as an Admin account. Windows 8 is rock solid, works great.

Once people settle down and quick overreacting to "Metro", things will be business as usual.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

In a presentation at Ubuntu Developer Summit currently going on in Denmark, Drew Bliss from Valve said that Linux is becoming a more viable platform as an alternative to Windows 8. Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is moving away from an open platform model.
Flee!

Oh and if you think a majority of corporate customers are even considering Windows 8 for most of their users you're crackers. It should be interesting to see what happens if MS continues on the same path with Windows 9.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I asked him what the chances were we'd ever go up to Windows 8.
If you're in a large enterprise, the perceived quality of the OS has nothing to to do with it.
The most important things are compatibility, scalability, reliability and security.
Windows 8 delivers all of that because it's built on Windows 7.

There are no large enterprise shops even considering Windows 8 at this point simply because it is too new.
And since most skipped Vista, it would make sense that they would skip 8. Our release management guys were actually playing around with inserting a base windows 8 build in our COE. They built the rest of the image on top of it with no major changes.
A smaller enterprise could theoretically make the move from 7 to 8 overnight.

But the bottom line is that Windows 8 is aimed squarely at consumers and is optimized for consumer applications. Email, browsing, media consumption and light productivity. Microsoft wants to bring a unified look and feel to their products (PC, Surface, WP and Xbox).
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote: Windows 8 is rock solid, works great.
I'm very happy with how quick and stable it is.
I've only had two application crashes (GW2 twice when exiting game) and find myself using the metro apps a lot more often. Specifically email, weather and news. I have all my commonly used programs pinned to the start screen and have that set to open up on my secondary monitor.
Aside from feeling a bit 'tacked on', I quite like the 'metro' start screen. Much more useful than the start menu ever was.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:
I asked him what the chances were we'd ever go up to Windows 8.
If you're in a large enterprise, the perceived quality of the OS has nothing to to do with it.
The most important things are compatibility, scalability, reliability and security.
Windows 8 delivers all of that because it's built on Windows 7.

There are no large enterprise shops even considering Windows 8 at this point simply because it is too new.
And since most skipped Vista, it would make sense that they would skip 8. Our release management guys were actually playing around with inserting a base windows 8 build in our COE. They built the rest of the image on top of it with no major changes.
A smaller enterprise could theoretically make the move from 7 to 8 overnight.

But the bottom line is that Windows 8 is aimed squarely at consumers and is optimized for consumer applications. Email, browsing, media consumption and light productivity. Microsoft wants to bring a unified look and feel to their products (PC, Surface, WP and Xbox).
You left off the magic "TCO", which in 8 is higher.

People aren't still on XP because of compatibility, they're still on XP because there's no business benefit to moving off it and considerable cost.

That remains with 8, but has even more cost because you need to retrain staff who have spent the last 10 years clicking on start -> programs -> etc in an ordered list, to be hunting around an unordered list and tagging items they use to be available on the task bar, and then be completely lost if they want to start a second instance of notepad.

I know you and Winnow are instant experts on everything, but real staff (most of which are not even mildly interested in tech) get lost easily enough that you get a real productivity loss with no gain down the line to offset it, if you've already moved to 7 and got the 64bit stack.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:
Aabidano wrote:Store hasn't worked for me since install, haven't gone to the bother of fixing it yet.
Could be either you're in Administrator mode or aren't signed in with a windows live ID.
Not an admin and am signed in with a windows ID.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: I quite like the 'metro' start screen. Much more useful than the start menu ever was.
I like the metro apps/style as well but you need to take baby steps with these people. They freak out at the sight of the screen, much less actually try out some of the apps. I also pin all my apps to the task bar but have no idea why people freak out about a totally customizable super start screen.

I could take a screenshot of windows 7 and make it their wallpaper and as long as they see a start button in the corner they'll be ok.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft's Windows 8 Numbers Meaningless

Microsoft this week tried to mute reports that Windows 8 is off to a slow start, disclosing that it has sold about 40 million licenses for the OS since launch. Microsoft says that's on par with the debut of the highly successful Windows 7. But without additional context, which Redmond refuses to provide, the numbers are meaningless.

The most important fact that can't be gleaned from Microsoft's "disclosure" is the extent to which Windows 8, available to consumers since Oct. 26 and to businesses since mid-August, is driving new hardware sales. Microsoft may have sold millions of Windows 8 licenses to PC makers, but if their touch-tablets, convertibles and all-in-ones are languishing on store shelves or in warehouses, that doesn't bode well for the operating system's future.

We don't know because Microsoft isn't saying. We don't know how many of the 40 million licenses come from low-cost upgrades, from volume licensing sales that kick in automatically, or from direct sales to consumers. And we don't know how many of the 40 million licenses are sitting on systems that have yet to find a buyer.

If upgrades represent the vast majority of those licenses, that's something Microsoft could be pleased with, as it puts Windows 8 onto the desktops of millions of users. But at a cost between $15 and $40, depending on when the PC was purchased, upgrading to Windows 8 is a pretty low-risk proposition for most users. We don't know whether upgraders liked the OS, whether they kept using it, or if they later reverted to Windows 7 -- and that's a metric I'd like to see.

So why won't Microsoft provide a breakdown? What is it hiding? Its silence speaks volumes or, perhaps more accurately, low volumes.
According to NPD it's not driving new hardware sales at all:
NPD: PC sales got no boost from Windows 8

NEW YORK (AP) — A research firm says sales of personal computers in the U.S. didn't get any boost from the launch of Windows 8, confounding the hopes of Microsoft and PC makers.

NPD Group, which tracks U.S. retail sales, says that in the month since Windows 8 launched on Oct. 26, sales of Windows PCs and tablets fell 21 percent compared with a year earlier.

NPD says there's no sign that Windows 8 made things worse for PC makers. Rather, the weak sales are a continuation of a trend seen throughout this year, as consumers appear more interested in spending the electronics dollars on smartphones and tablets than on upgrading their computers.

Microsoft and PC makers had been hoping for a boost from Windows 8, though they tempered expectations as the launch neared.

Also from that first article it sounds like we're stuck with the schizo FrankenOS. Don't except Windows 9 to be any better. Microsoft will probably double down on crazy.
"Tami Reller, who was named co-chief of Microsoft's Windows unit following Steven Sinofsky's sudden and unexpected departure earlier this month. Reller said Microsoft is into Windows 8 and Metro for the long haul. "

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I sure hope they don't change the Metro start screen. It rocks once you get over missing the little "start" button...that what do you know...opens up using the windows key...same as the start button used to do!

Then again, you never even have to see the Metro screen if you don't want to...it's just the ignorant people that think you do.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:I sure hope they don't change the Metro start screen. It rocks once you get over missing the little "start" button...that what do you know...opens up using the windows key...same as the start button used to do!

Then again, you never even have to see the Metro screen if you don't want to...it's just the ignorant people that think you do.
Rocks in what way?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: Rocks in what way?
Freedom from the start button. People treat it like linus from Peanuts treats his blanky.

You do realize using Metro you just start typing any time and it starts a search, you don't even need to hit the "start button" or select "search" like you did with Windows 7. In desktop mode you just hit the windows key and start typing. Exactly as fast in desktop mode or faster than your precious start menu in Metro mode. Ignorance will get you nowhere.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Pretty sure if I start typing it will go into the active window.... could you expand on "any time"?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:Pretty sure if I start typing it will go into the active window.... could you expand on "any time"?
There is no "active window" on the Metro screen. Watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0z9mvmaYLo
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Oh yeah, cause that's the version of Windows that has been described as "Microsoft Window" =)

So anyway, what you're saying is if you press start (to get to what you think Metro is) then "just start typing", you get search.

Which would be, the same as Windows 7, only with, you know, windows...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It replaced the start menu, making searches actually better so you can stop bitching about it anytime now that you actually realize it and appreciate the improvements. Or maybe you were just in denial watching the video.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Zae, stop being an idiot.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:It replaced the start menu, making searches actually better so you can stop bitching about it anytime now that you actually realize it and appreciate the improvements. Or maybe you were just in denial watching the video.
If you can remember all those key combos, because all you do all day is search, then yeah, it's a lot more powerful. But for all the searches I do, it's the same as Windows 7 except it doesn't have a pointless screen transition.

I get that you like fancy for fancy's sake, I think it's horrible. My favourite parts of 8 are the less fancy stuff like the flat/clean dress on the windows, and I do think the multiscreen changes like task bars on optionally all screens and different backgrounds on each screen are cool. But that doesn't make me hate full screen apps any less, or the disorganised mess on the start screen and apps that I would think are great on a phone/tablet but are useless overhead on desktop/laptop.

And yeah, I object to you using "metro" and "start" interchangably because it's just simply wrong. It's an entire shell that only runs full screen apps in a sandbox, it also, as you say, replaces the Start Menu. But that's like calling your media centre computer a VCR because it replaces a VCR. Oh, and because I'm a pedant.

Miir: the only idiotic thing I'm doing is replying to a troll, but I do get a lot of giggles out of it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Can't wait for the Surface Pro to be released so I can buy one.
The Surface Pro is the long-awaited Microsoft tablet that runs x86 Windows 8 and thus all of the Windows software out there that normally runs on the desktop. It costs $899 for a 64GB model and $999 for a 128GB model.
$900-$1000? What sort of crack has MS been smoking? Well that's probably obvious by looking at that horrid UI they forced upon desktop users in Windows 8.

Enjoy buying that overpriced and useless gadget.

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

It's the Chevy Volt of tablets? "Let capable than a Prius for only $13k extra!"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 8 is like a fine wine. The more I'm using the Windows Store Apps, the more I like them. Having been an iPad user for a long time, I can see a lot of UI benefits to the Windows RT environment and am looking forward to the Surface Pro.

I'll be using the Windows Metro Apps for news, etc as the news apps (Microsoft's Own and NBC's in particular) look great. The navigation is easy and intuitive even on a mouse/keyboard system. You simply move your cursor to the top of the screen, and drag to the bottom to close an app. App switching etc is also efficient.

I really don't see the issue with having the benefit of "metro" environment along with the desktop. It's an option. The part you do use as a desktop only user (search) is actually well done and better than on Windows 7 so if that's all you use, then I still don't see the problem as it's a very easy way to find stuff (just go back and watch the last video I linked if you haven't yet)

I plan on buying a 128GB Surface Pro, day one. If for some reason I see another Windows 8 device, and there are a lot of them coming out, that is a hybrid tablet/ultrabook, that I like better, I'll get it.

Keep in mind that I don't care if anyone upgrades but these are some thoughts.

Windows 8 "metro" apps are actually really nice. I can see the advantages of well designed Metro apps. Once you take the time to learn the new UI, it's a breeze to navigate them.

Windows 8 search is great. Either just start typing in Metro and it's App context sensitive to the app you ahve open or general search of on the main Metro screen. In desktop mode, you just hit the windows key and start typing. Getting to Apps, Files, Settings, Control Panel, etc, is hella fast using the new search. You don't need to use "charms" if you opt to use search instead.

Multi-monitor support in Windows 8 is excellent. I had issues with Windows 7 recognizing my third monitor during reboots, etc. The "metro" screen is easily switched between all of your screens. It remembers where you last used it.

Most importantly, Windows 8 is the most stable, solid build of Windows yet. For those that are only concerned with the desktop environment, it's also butter smooth. The new default look for windows is also less "glossy" and more sleek than the win7 transparent aero look.

I still can't believe how well the transition from 7 to 8 went. Even the UAC seems less annoying if you're not in Administrator mode. And if you do need to do admin stuff, the USER account switching is super fast. Remote access is also rock solid.

I really think there is a bit of an overreaction to the "Metro" environment. As miir also seems to agree, the UI grows on you and is actually a very efficient environment to work in. Yes, it will be even better on touch devices but I don't have one of those yet and am still really liking the way the data in the apps are presented in "metro" apps. No biggie if you wait until your next PC or whatever to use Windows 8 but the hate is way overblown. It's not a one day or one week transition so the initial hate of playing with the UI in a Best Buy for 5 minutes isn't going to help much. Either way, the "old school" desktop environment in Windows 8 is outstanding and the best yet.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

So you've got your 50", 5760*3240 monitor and you're OK with 1 application in focus at a time? Or are you going to have a wall of screens?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: No biggie if you wait until your next PC or whatever to use Windows 8
Nope. Wont use it then either.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:So you've got your 50", 5760*3240 monitor and you're OK with 1 application in focus at a time? Or are you going to have a wall of screens?
You can split the screen. Have you researched Windows 8? Also, those are RT apps. If you're going to be multitasking, you can always use the traditional desktop.

I use three screens so have plenty of room for put shit anywhere I want.
Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote: No biggie if you wait until your next PC or whatever to use Windows 8
Nope. Wont use it then either.
Good for you!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:You can split the screen. Have you researched Windows 8? Also, those are RT apps. If you're going to be multitasking, you can always use the traditional desktop.
Whinging is more fun.

So to use Win8 in the manner that any normal person who has used a multi tasking system since ~1985 has to figure out how to work around the interface they push you into. Yes it's learn-able but it's still a backwards leap.

Maybe next they'll regress further and add a handy command terminal so I can fg and bg interactive processes? Oooh, maybe a line editor too?

What they're doing is trying to entice people who aren't bright enough to figure out a grown up interface off of their iPads.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The 'work around' is a single keystroke. :roll:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
Winnow wrote:You can split the screen. Have you researched Windows 8? Also, those are RT apps. If you're going to be multitasking, you can always use the traditional desktop.
Whinging is more fun.

So to use Win8 in the manner that any normal person who has used a multi tasking system since ~1985 has to figure out how to work around the interface they push you into. Yes it's learn-able but it's still a backwards leap.

you must be trolling or a complete idiot. You can stay in desktop mode all you want. The exact same environment as Windows 7. The "Metro/RT" apps are 100% optional.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:The 'work around' is a single keystroke. :roll:
See!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Winnow wrote:I still get a chuckle out of this. It's the SAME os with some very nice back end and front end (desktop environment) updates. I don't even use metro. I can't use it as an Admin account. Windows 8 is rock solid, works great.

Once people settle down and quick overreacting to "Metro", things will be business as usual.
You're so fucking obtuse it's comical.