HDTVs

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: HDTVs

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:Biggest tip for new TV owners is to take the time to calibrate your TV. Most TVs look like shit (compared to their potential) out of the box.
Pretty much all of the models now have people posting the professionally calibrated settings on various forums. I'm of the crowd that thinks people should use those as a reference only and set all the options to your own personal tastes.

Also, you should try various games in 3D. Some of them are mind blowing!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Calibrating my hdtv is actually something I've wished I knew more about. I have gone through settings to see what "looked best," but I couldn't seem to get things where I wanted them. I think that there were just some settings that I had no clue what they were for. The primary television I use is a Samsung UN40d6000s in the bedroom. I tend to stick to HD content, blu-ray, & sports for the most part.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I pulled settings off of avsforum for my TV when I got it, then used their setup slides off a USB stick to fine tune those settings. Its definitely worth getting "baseline" settings from a calibrated unit that someone else paid to have done!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:Calibrating my hdtv is actually something I've wished I knew more about. I have gone through settings to see what "looked best," but I couldn't seem to get things where I wanted them. I think that there were just some settings that I had no clue what they were for. The primary television I use is a Samsung UN40d6000s in the bedroom. I tend to stick to HD content, blu-ray, & sports for the most part.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1321982/offic ... hread/1500

There is the official topic for your set on AVS. Several posts down on that page is a comprehensive list of settings and graphs. That is the only information that I was really looking for to help you out, but the topic likely contains all sorts of great info on your exact model.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Thanks. Will have to pull out the tablet after work to mess around with it.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Get a Pixar DVD (or Blu-ray).
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Eyeballing the Aquos 70" . Under 2k not too fucking shabby!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:Eyeballing the Aquos 70" . Under 2k not too fucking shabby!
Love Love Love mine. I cannot say enough great things about it. Buy one, we'll be TV brothers!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Canelek wrote:Eyeballing the Aquos 70" . Under 2k not too fucking shabby!
Love Love Love mine. I cannot say enough great things about it. Buy one, we'll be TV brothers!
:o

Which model do you have?
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Don't make me quote the previous page!

LC-70LE845U Sharp Aquos 70" - 240hz - 3D (released April 23, 2012)

It really is the best set I have ever seen in person, and it's in my living room! I had taken to gaming on my 44" in the bedroom, but playing games on the 70" simply dominates everything I have ever played on prior. The Sharp's addition to Yellow in the standard Red, Blue, Green color settings are a game changer IMO. It lets the set produce another billion colors or something equally stupid. The overall colors are richer and deeper. Blu Rays are amazing on the set and gaming cannot possibly look better, only bigger. When I have the room, I'll go bigger as well, but for now I see this set lasting me for a very, very long time.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

My last roomate had a 70" in the living room. The couch was probably about 15' or so away from it, and I thought it was too big for video games, I prefer 42-46" over that any day. Just preference, I guess.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:My last roomate had a 70" in the living room. The couch was probably about 15' or so away from it, and I thought it was too big for video games, I prefer 42-46" over that any day. Just preference, I guess.

I also prefer 46" for gaming although I sit closer to my screens. I use computer glasses with a ideal viewing range from 2.5 to 6 feet. That's my current PC setup above. While it looks like the iMac is right next to the 46", it's actually several feet closer to me, making the 46" appear smaller than it is.

I've gamed on a 120" sceen (if you recall, I've owned several HD front projectors) but it's just too big to really enjoy gaming on. As for colors, the edge-lit LED Samsungs have eye-popping color. Excellent blacks too. The picture above doesn't do it justice of course. The iMac is also an LED screen and pretty amazing to view stuff on.

I've noticed the "soap opera" effect on my new Samsung. This is caused by motion interpolation. Turning off Auto Motion Plus on Samsungs gets rid of it. There's probably another setting on other brands. It really does make everything look like it was shot in very high def but low budget. It will be useful for sports.

It also turns out having a third PC monitor is more useful than I thought. Tabs are great (I've got 13 tabs open right now) but it's nice to have a few windows open at the same time when researching or using a primary app on the main screen. Tutorials, etc.

Here's what you need to turn off to lose the soap opera effect on various brands:
Hitachi – Reel120[2]
Insignia – DCM Plus, for Digital Clear Motion 120 Hz
Kogan Technologies – MotionMax 100Hz[3], 200 Hz
LG – TruMotion 120 Hz, 240 Hz, 480 Hz
AOC – Motion Boost 120 Hz
Mitsubishi – Smooth 120 Hz
Panasonic – Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC)
Philips – HD Digital Natural Motion[4]
Samsung – Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz[5], 240 Hz
Sharp – Fine Motion Enhanced[6], AquoMotion 240Hz[7]
Sony – MotionFlow 100 Hz, 100 Hz PRO (XBR series, Australia), 120 Hz, 200 Hz, 240 Hz, 400 Hz.[8][9]
Toshiba – ClearScan 120 Hz, 240 Hz
Vizio – MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation)[10]
Sceptre – MEMC (Motion Estimation/Motion Compensation)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow, your set up is a wreck. It would drive me crazy having all those different sizes surrounding me!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Winnow, your set up is a wreck. It would drive me crazy having all those different sizes surrounding me!
It doesn't bother me but my setup is in transition and I admit it's not the most aesthetic setup to look at. I mentioned before that I'm considering having three of the new 46" Samsungs for my monitor setup.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Calibrating my hdtv is actually something I've wished I knew more about. I have gone through settings to see what "looked best," but I couldn't seem to get things where I wanted them. I think that there were just some settings that I had no clue what they were for. The primary television I use is a Samsung UN40d6000s in the bedroom. I tend to stick to HD content, blu-ray, & sports for the most part.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1321982/offic ... hread/1500

There is the official topic for your set on AVS. Several posts down on that page is a comprehensive list of settings and graphs. That is the only information that I was really looking for to help you out, but the topic likely contains all sorts of great info on your exact model.

I ended up with some better settings from page 53 of that thread that made a big difference at night. Makes quite a difference. I apparently got fairly close on some of the settings that I messed with before! Will have to see what it is like for viewing with natural daytime lighting.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Winnow, your set up is a wreck. It would drive me crazy having all those different sizes surrounding me!
It doesn't bother me but my setup is in transition and I admit it's not the most aesthetic setup to look at. I mentioned before that I'm considering having three of the new 46" Samsungs for my monitor setup.
Now this is something I can bet behind! In hindsight I would have gotten 3x44-46" TVs to run Eyefinity because the resolution is lower so games would run longer in max supported resolution before needing to upgrade my system. It would have been the same-ish price too. Space would be an issue though. In my head for my next upgrade, I am seriously considering 3x projectors on a single, curved wall (providing a new house that has a big enough room to build my my own man cave).

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOY2lREu ... ata_player
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

How about the new HDMI standard for 3D? Will it work with existing receivers via pass-thru? I have high-end shit and certainly do not want to swap anything out! Checking in firmware update for my Sony amp...
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:How about the new HDMI standard for 3D? Will it work with existing receivers via pass-thru? I have high-end shit and certainly do not want to swap anything out! Checking in firmware update for my Sony amp...
I believe you have to get a new amp. Lots of people up in arms about it on various forums but I haven't read into it too deeply. I will get more into it when I do my audio upgrade, which I keep putting off and am not too entirely thrilled to do for some reason.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Heh. Well barring a firmware update, I think I will avoid 3D. My amp does not deserve such treatment!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Here is what I have btw. I have read that this will pass-thru the 3D signal, meaning I would not need to get fancy. Otherwise, I am looking for a firmware update (hopefully). This model would technically support a serial cable update, haha! Where is USB, Sony?? The 6400 model has ethernet....not sure what went on with that.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... S=da5400es

en kærlighed småkager
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

This model would technically support a serial cable update, haha!
Oh god. 9600 baud nightmare.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

My brother is a low voltage contractor/AV dork, and based on his (and his coworkers) recommendation, I am going with:

Samsung PN60E6500 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Slim Plasma HDTV (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN60E6500 ... =pn60e6500

Not a 70", obviously, but I was swayed away from Sharp 70" due to some RMA issues that my brother's company have been having of late.

Can't wait for next Monday!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Through Amazon, I am able to get 12 month deferred financing, which is nice. I could just pay up front, but I find it more palatable to spread the payments out...
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I hate those interest free deals.. not because I'm worried about them generating sales of shit I can't afford, but because they usually arrange them so there's pit traps that mean if you forget a payment you get slammed with massive interest penalties, which seems to be the finance company's business model.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

After I rebuilt my credit ~5 years ago, I learned to calendar that shit. :) No big deal to me, and I just paid off my heat pump so have a monthly dues wiggle room.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Tv arrived yesterday but I can't stick in on the wall until Friday. Arg! It is so much bigger than my old 42!
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I love my samsung plasma 3D. Plasma is a bit of a pain when gaming on it for a while and you get some IR, but if you break in the tv properly, you don't have to worry. I ran the slides for over 200 hours the first week while I slept and worked. I will say again like mentioned previously in this thread, the samsung is great because it has a lot of playback codecs built in, so you can wake .mkv files straight off a hard drive, usb stick drive, etc. No other tv could when i was shopping...probably still that way...and that's the favorite compression packing method for HD tv content on the web.

but definitely download the break in slides, and run then for a couple hundred hours before doing anything with IR scary stuff in it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Good call on the 200 hour break in. Ill use the slides. Not too concerned since my console attention span is fairly short but I want to get the best out of the new tv. Huge upgrade over my Samsung 42" plasma (720p).
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

if you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to try at least one 3D game out. It really is something special when done right.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, I have Mortal Kombat for PS3 and apparently it is in 3D. Also, I was figuring to order that Batman game that folks seem to like. It is pretty cheap on Amazon right now. I also picked up Thor and the last Harry Potter flick on 3D BR since I had a Best Buy gift card. Looking forward to checking those out! 3D stuff will be infrequent I imagine. Still need to mess around with!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I played my first Wii game on my set. I was surprised at how good it still looked. I was worried for nothing!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Now 4k tv's are starting to get into the production stage.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/sony ... -floor-we/
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

An article I read today claimed Sony expected to have these in stores even here for the end of the year (I read that as for Christmas), so I would expect them in the US for November...
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What are the good models this year? I've been thinking about the Samsung UN60F8000BFXZA as it's gotten fairly good reviews although it is a bit pricey. It seems currently on sale at Best Buy but wondering how easy it is to talk them down lower. Or if not lower at lest get them to throw in something extra. I'm not much of a haggler!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:What are the good models this year? I've been thinking about the Samsung UN60F8000BFXZA as it's gotten fairly good reviews although it is a bit pricey. It seems currently on sale at Best Buy but wondering how easy it is to talk them down lower. Or if not lower at lest get them to throw in something extra. I'm not much of a haggler!
Is that a camera on top of the screen? Better watch out!

Samsung LCD/LEDs are always near the top of the list of best TVs. I really like their thin bezels. IMO the less you see of the actual hardware the better. The picture is always fantastic.

As you probably recall from the thread I posted on this forum, I had to open up my original Samsung LCD TV twice to replace cheap ass capacitors that went bad but I think Samsung has that squared away as I've had no issues with my second, more recent Samsung TV. Notably, even with all the shit I went through with my first Samsung, I still bought another one which says something about how nice the picture quality is.

2,165 sounds like a really good price for a quality 60" TV. I've found the extra features (all the apps, etc that my TV has to not be used). My recommendation would be to go for the model that offers the same picture quality as the high end model but maybe lacks some of the internet/app features...but then you'd probably end up with a thicker bezel so that's the trade off. Samsung TV remotes have been pretty crappy designs but I mostly only use them to switch sources. That might be an issue if you actually change channels, etc with it but I think most people use Cable/Satellite remotes these days.

Once you get a TV (preferably before) head over to the http://www.avsforum.com/f/ and someone will have posted recommended calibration settings which help a lot in fine tuning the picture. Keep in mind, you will find assloads of posts about issues with whatever model you decide on as those threads typically attract anyone that has issues with their sets.

------

I've been gaming (PC/Console) on a 46" TV for 5+ years and would never go back to anything smaller. It's also my primary PC monitor. I use two 46" TVs as my primary PC monitors with a third 27" used mostly as a control monitor (all powered by GTX 670). The benefit to this is being able to sit back, not squint, and relax instead of being hunched over a smaller screen. DPI isn't a factor from 4 feet back. It's also a reason why I'm a big fan of PC MMOs that allow use of controllers and bought a really comfortable $1K office chair with memory foam that perfectly molds to my ass yet doesn't make it sweat!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Is that a camera on top of the screen? Better watch out!
You can push it down! Which I'd more than likely do since the motion control stuff seems pretty cumbersome.
Winnow wrote:Samsung LCD/LEDs are always near the top of the list of best TVs. I really like their thin bezels. IMO the less you see of the actual hardware the better. The picture is always fantastic.
I haven't seen any real complaints about the picture quality and most are saying it's one of the best Samsung panels in years. So that's always a good thing.
Winnow wrote:2,165 sounds like a really good price for a quality 60" TV. I've found the extra features (all the apps, etc that my TV has to not be used). My recommendation would be to go for the model that offers the same picture quality as the high end model but maybe lacks some of the internet/app features...but then you'd probably end up with a thicker bezel so that's the trade off. Samsung TV remotes have been pretty crappy designs but I mostly only use them to switch sources. That might be an issue if you actually change channels, etc with it but I think most people use Cable/Satellite remotes these days.
$2,165 wouldn't be too bad but at any "reputable" dealer the price is $2,500. I don't care much about the Smart features and the remote looks fairly useless. Needs more buttons! There doesn't seem to be another model with the same panel other than ones of smaller sizes so that's not really an option.

The plasma equivalent version (PN60F8500) I guess has a better picture and is a bit cheaper but I'm still a bit wary of plasma. From what I've read some people have had buzzing issues and that's not really something I want to deal with.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

No buzzing on my plasma 6500. Only time I'd recommend led would be too much natural light.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

On the particular model I was looking at some reviews have said there was some buzzing. Most don't seem to mention it though so it seems hit and miss. Knowing my luck I'd get a buzzy buzz one.

Still a bit concerned about burnin as well since sometimes if I'm playing a game I'll go lay down for a bit and end up falling asleep for like 8 hours. That can't be good!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'd go LCD, backlit LED LCD screens look amazing (but I'm sure you can judge for yourself in a best buy store. They have been (at least in the past) better for Console gaming and as PC monitors if you ever decide to use them for that. (Sharper)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:On the particular model I was looking at some reviews have said there was some buzzing. Most don't seem to mention it though so it seems hit and miss. Knowing my luck I'd get a buzzy buzz one.

Still a bit concerned about burnin as well since sometimes if I'm playing a game I'll go lay down for a bit and end up falling asleep for like 8 hours. That can't be good!
Burn in isn't a real issue anymore on plasmas, but image retention still is. If you play games with a static UI you will get some retention on a plasma. Also, there is buzzing in every plasma I have ever seen in person. However it is only noticble in absolute silence or near silence. The volume from the set itself is enough to easily drown it out. Plus some people seem more aware of the buzzing that others for whatever reason.

Generally speaking, plasmas are the best in black out conditions, lcd in rooms with light.

I like led lcd better than plasmas once I compare the pros and cons for my usage.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Use burn in slideshow!

Either way, Samsung is good for whichever technology you choose.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I went with the LED. Saturday delivery! I wasn't able to get them (Best Buy) to move on the price since apparently Samsung doesn't let them, at least according to two different stores I went to, but I was able to get them to throw in a $300 stand so that's not too bad since I would have had to buy one of those as well. Hopefully it will fit as it only officially supports up to 58" TVs. The guy measured the stand on the tv and it was 53". The TV stand shelf is 54" so it's going to be a tight fit. I'd prefer a bit more room on the sides as I don't want it toppling over if it gets accidentally bumped but it was the only stand they had in stock that would take my center channel speaker on the middle shelf.

What is everyone's opinion on extended warranties? It's not very cheap so I declined to get it but I can add it within 15 days if I change my mind. I have heard some bad things about extended warranties and about the ones from Best Buy in particular.

Thin!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Good choice! I really like the tiny bezel on your TV. My edge is larger, but I watch movies and play games in a blackened room so it doesn't matter. However, aesthetically I think they look better with little to no edge.

Personally, I always pass on the warranties. The reason being that warranties and insurance are the largest profit margins for every company for a reason! If something is genuinely faulty with the product, the company itself steps in and fixes the issue (usually). See: Xbox 360. I also had a friend get into it with Sears over who was going to fix his treadmill. Sear said the manufacturer was responsible, the manufacturer said Sears was. A middle man can fuck things up.

Also, sorry I'm late but I just saw your request for trying to get more out of Best Buy. You did exactly what I was going to suggest. Try and get a stand/wall mount or a blu ray player out of it. The important part to know when dealing with Best Buy is that if they have what you want right there, you lose a lot of wiggle room. However, if they have to order it or they have to get it from another location you gain a surprising amount of bargaining power.

Post pics and a review when you get it. I really like seeing pictures of people's gaming spaces!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

For high dollar items, I'll always get it. Best Buy covers accidental damage wit their warranties - so in 2-4 years when it runs out if your tv still hasn't had any problems, hit it with a hammer and bring it in and get a newer, better replacement.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:For high dollar items, I'll always get it. Best Buy covers accidental damage wit their warranties - so in 2-4 years when it runs out if your tv still hasn't had any problems, hit it with a hammer and bring it in and get a newer, better replacement.
lol and this is one of the clowns that gets all excited over a copied game. How about use your fucking brain and fix a TV like I did instead of fuck over the system? Too many dipshits in this world. You must be constantly one step away from abusing the welfare system.

No need to respond. I've seen way too many of your "I'm an idiot, please help me" posts on this forum to take you seriously. Waste of space.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:For high dollar items, I'll always get it. Best Buy covers accidental damage wit their warranties - so in 2-4 years when it runs out if your tv still hasn't had any problems, hit it with a hammer and bring it in and get a newer, better replacement.
lol and this is one of the clowns that gets all excited over a copied game. How about use your fucking brain and fix a TV like I did instead of fuck over the system? Too many dipshits in this world. You must be constantly one step away from abusing the welfare system.

No need to respond. I've seen way too many of your "I'm an idiot, please help me" posts on this forum to take you seriously. Waste of space.
Yet every post you make proves how worthless you are.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:

Yet every post you make proves how worthless you are.
Just stop acknowledging his existence, I'm doing my best to do exactly that. If we all did, he'd eventually go away and it would be much more enjoyable here.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Fairweather Pure wrote: Personally, I always pass on the warranties. The reason being that warranties and insurance are the largest profit margins for every company for a reason! If something is genuinely faulty with the product, the company itself steps in and fixes the issue (usually).
I think the biggest profit in those warranties is people lose the documentation.. without it you get nothing, with it I've never had an issue getting the warranty honoured.

That said, I find most electronics either expire within the original warranty period or well after the extended period so I don't get it often either.

I was glad I had it on the espresso machine though.. I expected that to blow up though, they're mechanical and I was going to use it daily.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

TV was delivered yesterday. Looks nice! I did a quick look and didn't see any dead/stuck pixels so that's always a good thing. Since I'm a Rewards Zone holder I'll have spent enough to get a free calibration so I'll probably do that eventually once I get bumped up to the Premier Silver level however will check forums for recommend settings in the meantime. That's a $250 service (according to them) so I think overall I did alright for buying local rather than online. Especially if anything goes wrong in the next two weeks they'll come pick it up and bring a new one. I couldn't imagine trying to send this back via shipping since I can't even move the box let alone fit it in my car.

I messed around with some of the SMART stuff but overall I think I wont be using any of that. The web browser is fairly terrible on its own and downright painful when combined with the TV remote for navigation. I might use the Netflix app or something if I ever subscribe to that so I guess having the SMART capability doesn't hurt anything other that to add extra cost to the TV.

Not having cable I picked up a Roku 3 to stream things from my PC. I'm using the Plex software which seems ok although a few things I've watched just stopped at certain points saying 'Retrieving' but it never seemed to actually retrieve. I might try a few other alternatives and see how they are.

I'll also have to get a new AV receiver at some point as the one I have I bought in 2000 so it's lacking some key features like HDMI.

I haven't hooked up the PS3 yet to try out games but will probably do that in the next day or two and give it a go although honestly I haven't been doing much gaming lately so no big rush on that.

I think I'll probably pass on the extended warranty though. Hitting it with a hammer doesn't sound very "accidental"! With the credit card I used my warranty is extended an additional year although yeah that doesn't cover things like it falling off the stand so hopefully those things won't happen. Having said that I am the sort of person who keeps all the documentation as well as the original packaging on nearly everything I purchase.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So It turns out there is a Plex app for Samsung SMART TVs (and some Blu-Ray players) so it appears I didn't need to buy the Roku at all. So I'll give that a go for a few days and maybe return the Roku if I can do everything with the TV itself. Saving even more money! It was able to play the few files I had that kept hanging on the Roku so that's a good sign. The only bad thing is the Samsung remote is terrible. If the remote was an Operating System it would be WIndows 8. That's how bad it is! Luckily when I went to register on the Samsung site I saw an offer for a free 'regular' remote so I submitted that info and hopefully will have an actual usable remote in a week or so.

Throw in Filebot to rename things and I'm mostly set! Although I'm having issues getting it to rename folders despite me dragging them over with Ctrl+Shift held down as instructed in the FAQ. A few worked when I first started using it but now I can't seem to get it to work and I'm not sure why. Shenanigans.

--