Super Poster!

Re: 49.95/month for 15Mbps/2Mbps

Post by Winnow »

THings are heating up again in the bandwidth war:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/20-o ... 2008-89821
20% of Comcast Users To See DOCSIS 3.0 in 2008

Faster speeds coming, but not of the upstream variety

12:54PM Thursday Nov 29 2007 by Karl

Comcast gave a bit more detail on the state of their DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades at the CableNEXT Conference this week in Santa Clara, California. Comcast CTO Tony Werner told attendees that the company hopes to have Docsis 3.0 technology in place in around 20 percent of the company's footprint by the end of next year. DOCSIS 3.0, as we've frequently noted, should allow the operator to eventually offer speeds in excess of 100Mbps.
[45790 bytes]

Werner wouldn't elaborate on which markets will see deployment first, but you can be sure they'll mirror FiOS deployment. You can also be sure that users won't see full capacity at first, the initial offerings being in the 20-50Mbps range. What about upstream speeds? Light Reading says the upgrades will focus on downstream bandwidth at first:

Although the full Docsis 3.0 specification calls for the bonding of at least four upstream and four downstream channels, initial Comcast deployments will be a downstream-only affair. That's more a reflection of the status of upstream channel bonding technology than one of Comcast's Docsis 3.0 service strategy. Docsis 3.0 upstream channel bonding won't likely won't be ready for prime time until late next year or possibly 2009.

That's definitely going to initially hurt Comcast's fight against FiOS, as Verizon just started offering symmetrical 15Mbps and 20Mbps service wherever FiOS is available.
I hope this means my 20+Mbps is coming soon. I want those 7.05GB files fully downloaded in somewhere closer to 30 minutes! Still glad I have Cox and not Comcast though.
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

I just got fiber from our local company Lisco.

Getting 94mb down and 84mb up. This also includes local phone service and 1500 long distance minutes for 60.00 a month!!

http://www.liscofiber.com/pricesresidential.htm
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

cid wrote:I just got fiber from our local company Lisco.

Getting 94mb down and 84mb up. This also includes local phone service and 1500 long distance minutes for 60.00 a month!!

http://www.liscofiber.com/pricesresidential.htm
I hate you!
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Time Warner had the balls to offer me an upgrade from my 3/.5 to 5/1 for only an additional 9.99 a month.

About a year ago they took over for the bankrupt Adelphia. (CEO shananagans at its finest) Since then they have not only not upgraded a damb thing but actually downgraded service.

When my 12 year old Hatachi 52" projection tv bit it 3 months ago finally, I bought the 56" Samsung (VV tv reviews ftw!) great tv, crappy HD selection. For 8 bucks a month (+3 for the HD box) I get a whopping 20 HD channels. On those channels 50%, or more, of the content is not in HD. Including local football home games! ( Bills, bleh) unless it is a national game, then it's HD.

What burns my ass the most, are the constant advertizements Time Warner bombards me with for their HD on demand service. It is not available here!!! fuckers.

( I realize I've drifted away from the pure down/up topic but it is all provider related )

The only really good feature is I can now pause a program on ANY station and resume it via the HD/cable box dvr function.

Last year Verizon was the only phone provider offering DSL but didn't yet have a hub near me. And the few people I know who tried dirrect tv (satallite ) were not happy with it and switched back. crap....
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Knarlz wrote:What burns my ass the most, are the constant advertizements Time Warner bombards me with for their HD on demand service. It is not available here!!! fuckers.
You're not missing anything.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

wft, the midwest gets this first? lame!
DOCSIS 3.0 is the next-gen cable internet standard that allows crazy fast bandwidth of up to 160Mbps downstream and 120 up. The lucky first city to get a piece of that action from Comcast—which plans to cover 20 percent of its market with the awesome by the end of this year—is St. Paul, Minnesota. Denizens can sign up for the Godzilla pipes starting this week, though the 50Mbps line will cost a whopping $150 a month. And no, it won't blow you. But, that is some sick bandwidth, equaling Verizon's FiOS offering (which is only $90 a month). So, is it worth it? How much would you pay?
Verizon/Fios isn't in Arizona so Cox has no competition. Those Cox bastards could be offering at least 30Mbps but we're stuck at 12Mbps for now until they have a reason to raise it. (competition)

150.00 for 50Mbps seems a bit high. I'd pay 100! I'd pay 100 for 30Mbps but don't tell Cox that.

I do get that first 50mb at 30Mbps burst speed so all the websites are speedy to access and load fast but that doesn't shorten the gajigabytme downloads by much.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

$150 a month = not worth it. At least for me. If you currently peg your bandwidth 24 hours a day than maybe. I don't even come close to doing that. It simply means I have to wait a little longer when I do get something. I'm fine with that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:$150 a month = not worth it. At least for me. If you currently peg your bandwidth 24 hours a day than maybe. I don't even come close to doing that. It simply means I have to wait a little longer when I do get something. I'm fine with that.

For the time being, I agree for the most part. I watch my bandwidth and very little maxes it out at 12.5Mbps except for giganews downloads. One nice benefit of the extra bandwidth is multitasking though. I can be downloading from several sources at once or watching streaming video while downloading without slowing anything down. (or playing a MMO)

I'd like 15-20Mbps though for the same price I'm paying now (~60.00). That would allow full 7GB iso downloads in under an hour. The other reason to want higher speeds is if you ever decide to download HD content. Even the 720p movies are multi gb in size.

I've always targeted ~100.00 as my sweet spot for internet access. I pay around that now with the 60.00 for net access, 29.00 for giganews and 3.00 for newsleecher.
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

Snail Speed! :)
cweeedit cwuunch
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:Wow!
49.95/month for 15Mbps/2Mbps
That's fast. Faster than those Swedes have it even! The problem is I don't have a land line phone number to enter to see if I quality. Lame. I need to find a local phone number in my residential area to try out.

For 199.95/month you can get 30Mbps/5Mbps. !!!

That's the first post I made in this thread April 14, 2005. I think back then I was stuck with 6 Mbps down/ 750KB/sec up.

As of June 13, 2008, I've finally matched/exceeded the original 15/2 Mbps!

Today Cox, boosted my upload speed to 2.5 Mbps (sweet!) I can't tell what my new down Mbps will be but I "think" it's going to be 15.5 Mbps:

It's a little unstable right now.(could be giganews servers) The uploads are a rock solid 2.5Mbps. That's a big help. I'm not a torrenter but do upload a lot of stuff to remote servers.

It took three years but the megabits arrived! I know Cox can push 30 Mbps because I get that on the initial bursts so they've still only opened up half the pipe.

I did a speed test but it shows me getting 3.65 Mbps uploads...too good to be true!

That new upload speed is a big time help for using remote access from work.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Time for an update. I like keeping posts in same thread for fun timeline comparison. Check the 2005 posts!

I've been on the 15 Mbps Down, 1.5 Mbps up plan for awhile now. (PowerBoost 20 Mbps/2Mbs)

Today I called to upgrade to the "Premier Plus" service.

25 Mbps down, 2 Mbps Up (PowerBoost 28 Mbps/2.5 Mbps)

With the PowerBoost only being 3 Mbps more, I'm guessing they're close to their limit for the time being. 2 Mbps with 2.5 boost Up isn't great but still nicer than a lot of services)

Downside:

$79/month and I had to go out and buy a new 99.00 Motorola SB6120 Docsis 3.0 Modem to handle the new speeds.

These are my current results:

I can't get new service until Thursday. Will see how it pans out then.

I think my current modem is about to die. Even with new router, I get cut off from the net briefly once a day. I'm also only pulling in 12-14 Mbps on Giganews and the bandwidth is not constant like it used to be (maxed out all the time)

I did a speed test and got 19.9 Mbps Down and 2.2 Mbps Up so I know my line is OK. That's PowerBoost enhanced but at least I know my line can handle it. I think I'll be able to get the full 25/28 Mbps of the new service, I just hope Giganews can still pump out the bandwidth, otherwise it's kinda pointless.

----
edit:

just a note I saw re: the modem I bought:
I had to call Comcast toll free service number to get them to enable docsys 3.0 The service tech said this was the first 6120 she had set up here in the Denver area. For grins, she opened up all the ports and I did a speed test: 127 meg down and 38 meg up...Hot damn...
So the modem is capable of a lot more. 127 Mbps down / 38 Mbps up? weeeee!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would take a reduction in speed if I could DL more than 250G a month.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I would take a reduction in speed if I could DL more than 250G a month.
Comcast. Business account. Nuff said.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

- Ash
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I rolled back to 10\1 a while back, then they bumped me to 15\2 for no increased cost.

Have given thought to going to Earthlink DSL @ $9.99\mo and rolling my landline to Vonage.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They already did something because I'm getting max 15 Mbps solid like before.

At the same time, I got a voicemail from Cox saying they were giving me a 20.00 credit because I may not get 25 Mbps when the installer guy comes on Thursday. I've already seen boost speeds up in the 22-24 Mbps range with my current (non Docsis 3.0) and Uploads are always +3 Mbps. If they've determined a node split is called for in my area, I'll be in great shape as they just did a split a year or so ago around here.

I can live with that for a few weeks, especially since I won't be paying for it, and enjoy two more weeks of 25 Mbps before the extra $20.00 per month kicks in.

Xbox 360 games and 720p movies in less than an hour. yay. Xvid 800 mb movies in less than 5 minutes.

For those interested in these geeky things:

The time it takes to download 7 GB:

25 Mbps = 36.5 minutes
10 Mbps = 1 hours 33 minutes
2 Mbps = 7 hours 35 minutes

Time it takes to download 800 MB file: (typical Divx/Xvid movie)

25 Mbps = 4.1 minutes
10 Mbps = 10 minutes
2 Mbps = 52 minutes

Time to download DVD

25 Mbps = 23 minutes
10 Mbps = 58 minutes
2 Mbps = 4 hours 46 minutes

Time to download 25 GB Blu Ray (for Fairweather and the 1 TB club)

25 Mbps = 2 hours 10 minutes (about real time for playback)
10 Mbps = 5 hours 33 minutes
2 Mbps = 1 Day 3 hours 7 minutes

5 MB (basically using newsgroups as your 100,000 song jukebox)

25 Mbps = 1 second
10 Mbps = 4 seconds
2 Mbps = 19 seconds (lag!)

-------

Speed matters. Well, if you download movies and games. Gotta factor in some less than max speed into the above stats, especially if you're not clued in on the usenet and use bittorrents, etc.

For grins:

I won't even list the speeds for my 300 bps modem I originally had (and the blazing fast 1200 bps modem I upgraded to, because the calculator doesn't go that low) The floppies that used to take me 30 minutes to copy, don't even register one second, in fact, you could copy 20 256KB floppies in one second at 25 Mbps.

I could copy my first hard drive ($500.00, 20 MB) in 6 seconds (well not physically, it would take long time with that slow drive)

Most people here had a 28.8 Kbps modem at some point:

5 MB = 23 minutes
800 MB = 62 hours
DVD = 14 days
7 GB = 22 days
25 GB = 11.5 weeks

Time it takes to download Fairweather's 1.2 TB (1,200 GB) with 25 Mbps: 4 days 33 minutes (8 TB per month if 24/7)

86 hours per terabyte @ 25 Mbps, 8.8 years @ 28.8 Kbps!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

6Mbps is fine with me since I'm not utilizing my line 100% all the time as it is so anything beyond that is just wasted money. U-Verse now has a 18Mbps at $65 a month (I think) but I'm not interested. Tag shit in Newsleecher and go to bed. Who cares if it takes 4 hours or 8? Speed matters? Beyond a certain point speed is overrated for most people.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Had my Docsis 3.0 "professionally" installed today by cox.

He professionally plugged in the power and ethernet.

The tech did check my line to make sure it was OK.

Bad News: getting 20 Mbps down right now

Good news: getting 4+ Mbps up

Better news: Within a week or two, they're splitting the node in my area and doing some maintenance to ensure I get the full 25 Mbps, and crediting my account for the month so I'm not paying for the added speed I have now.

Best news: Tech said around November, Cox will be pumping the 25 Mbps up to 50 Mbps for the highest tier that I pay for. Yay! 50 Mbps will be mind blowingly stupendous if Giganews can keep up.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well, gotta like the upload speed. I can almost max out Aslanna's downstream with my upstream! Torrent leechers would love me!

sustained 20 Mbps down is disappointing but expected. Cox was very upfront that they need to do maintenance before I get my max bandwidth. I sure hope this node split or whatever they do is good enough to get me 50 Mbps when November rolls around. I must have some real serious leechers on my node (besides me of course!)

Happy to be back with a Motorola Surfboard Modem. I really like their Status | Signal | Addresses | Configuration readouts you can access. The logs are especially nice.

This SB6120 doesn't look like the old surfboard modems. It's square and no style but has a ton of vents.

Not much to it.

http://business.motorola.com/ultrabroad ... b6120.html
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Checked my modem log and it got zapped around 2am last night:

Not sure if they did the upgrades yet but they may have hit my modem with the latest firmware or something. Looking better for now.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

How much is this costing you now?..
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I pay 69 for 16Mbit/2Mbit (the highest they have here in S.Fla) service, but actually get about 4Mbit up. I'm supposed to get a node split next month as well and a possible speed jump, but I won't hold my breath. I was paying like 47 for 6Mbit/384kbps before with AT&T DSL, Uverse hasn't gotten around to my neighborhood even though it's only 7 years old and all the infrastructure was laid out years ago. So far when it's good, its really good, but nowhere as consistent as DSL. It fluctuates way too much. Sometimes it even drops to like 2-3Mbit.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:How much is this costing you now?..
$79/month

I'm a sucker for speed and admit that's borderline but am willing to pay it and it will make more sense once the max speed is 50 Mbps in a few months.

I was paying $59/month for 15 Mbps so for now I'm paying and extra $20 for 10 Mbps more but that will be an extra 35 Mbps in a few months (of course, the premium plan I was on will probably be 25 Mbps then so it will be +25 Mbps)

Here's my monthly multimedia budget:

$79.00 - 25 Mbps Internet
$30.00 - Unlimited Giganews
$03.00 - Newsleecher SuperSearch

This $112 package includes: (Fash already knows this)

- 500K+ Song Music Jukebox with new music added daily. No need to waste hard drive space. Play right off usenet at 1 second d/l per song

- Video on demand: Download your favorite DVD quality movie in 3.5 minutes
This includes foreign films, Documentaries and other stuff you won't find on iTunes

- TV on Demand: Download entire seasons or one episode in about 90 seconds
this includes anime and entire runs of series you won't fine on iTunes

- HD quality 720p movies available in about an hour, 1080p 90 minutes (plan ahead for 1080p!)

- All the latest weekly comics bundled nicely in weekly packages (50-100/month) available in 50-100 seconds or 1 second per individual comic

- All the Applications you want, All the video tutorials, books, etc. Download an application you have no clue how to use? Get the tutorial videos or books! It's all included!)

- Latest PC, 360 (and Wii if you're lame) games available the day of release, or sometimes before release. (hacked 360 required)
Get the latest 360 games to demo and try out in about an hour. Don't forget to grab the Prima or Brady Game guides while you're at it!

- An entire ebook library at your fingertips, latest books added daily (bandwidth not much of a factor here!)

- Latest Audio books within a couple minutes

-Revisit your favorite videos, music etc for up to a year without need to store on your own HD

Half all of these times in a few months

Oh, and pr0n! I think you can get pr0n pretty fast too.

-----

I haven't had cable TV or Satellite in months and am loving it. I have no urge to watch TV. I will probably get cable again for 5 months during football season. Sports are the last thread holding me to regular TV.

-----
If you're on a budget, you can get the same package for less. Get the Giganews/Supersearch for $33.00 and get whatever internet speed you can manage.

I was paying 160.00/month for cable TV/Internet so consider $112 still quite the bargain.

I'd pay up to 150.00/month for fast cable if I had to so I'm not near my limit yet. I'll always pay for convenience/efficiency/resources when it comes to the net. People can get the exact same thing with slower computers, slower bandwidth and to them I say, "good for you! You're cool, just not hella cool!". Enjoy one console game a month with the money you saved minus the lost time in computer/bandwidth/convenience.

When it comes to entertainment value, this is the best monthly investment possible (except for a book because those are still pretty cheap and your imagination always wins over a movie)
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

That's interesting but a little more than I'd like to spend... I'm fine with the speed I get... 750K/s, whatever that equates to in your world... I queued up the whole first season of Lucky Louie last night, was watching the first one in about 10 minutes, and by the time it was over I had the rest of the season.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Fash wrote:How much is this costing you now?..
$79/month

I'm a sucker for speed and admit that's borderline but am willing to pay it and it will make more sense once the max speed is 50 Mbps in a few months.

I was paying $59/month for 15 Mbps so for now I'm paying and extra $20 for 10 Mbps more but that will be an extra 35 Mbps in a few months (of course, the premium plan I was on will probably be 25 Mbps then so it will be +25 Mbps)

Here's my monthly multimedia budget:

$79.00 - 25 Mbps Internet
$30.00 - Unlimited Giganews
$03.00 - Newsleecher SuperSearch

This $112 package includes: (Fash already knows this)

- 500K+ Song Music Jukebox with new music added daily. No need to waste hard drive space. Play right off usenet at 1 second d/l per song

- Video on demand: Download your favorite DVD quality movie in 3.5 minutes
This includes foreign films, Documentaries and other stuff you won't find on iTunes

- TV on Demand: Download entire seasons or one episode in about 90 seconds
this includes anime and entire runs of series you won't fine on iTunes

- HD quality 720p movies available in about an hour, 1080p 90 minutes (plan ahead for 1080p!)

- All the latest weekly comics bundled nicely in weekly packages (50-100/month) available in 50-100 seconds or 1 second per individual comic

- All the Applications you want, All the video tutorials, books, etc. Download an application you have no clue how to use? Get the tutorial videos or books! It's all included!)

- Latest PC, 360 (and Wii if you're lame) games available the day of release, or sometimes before release. (hacked 360 required)
Get the latest 360 games to demo and try out in about an hour. Don't forget to grab the Prima or Brady Game guides while you're at it!

- An entire ebook library at your fingertips, latest books added daily (bandwidth not much of a factor here!)

- Latest Audio books within a couple minutes

-Revisit your favorite videos, music etc for up to a year without need to store on your own HD

Half all of these times in a few months

Oh, and pr0n! I think you can get pr0n pretty fast too.
Those aren't really features of a 'package' they're just different elements of piracy. Not saying I have a problem with that but come on.
I'd pay up to 150.00/month for fast cable if I had to so I'm not near my limit yet. I'll always pay for convenience/efficiency/resources when it comes to the net. People can get the exact same thing with slower computers, slower bandwidth and to them I say, "good for you! You're cool, just not hella cool!". Enjoy one console game a month with the money you saved minus the lost time in computer/bandwidth/convenience.
What lost time in bandwidth/convenience? I'm never sitting around waiting for anything and I only pay $40 for internet and $15 a month for news. However you want to justify what you spend I don't have a problem with but don't include me as an example of one of the downtrodden schlubs who is throwing things at my computer because things download too slow. As I said previously... Tag shit in newsleecher and go to bed. When you wake up the next day, or more than likely when you get home from work, you have more than enough to go through.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Those aren't really features of a 'package' they're just different elements of piracy. Not saying I have a problem with that but come on.

Take the money saved and pump it into your PC which further enhances your experience. Faster processor, faster graphics, faster hard drive, then you're getting somewhere.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

ya rly

--
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

i'm getting consistently over 20 down and 5 up with fios here in NJ...i still want faster though...

i'll be moving out to LA within the next 6 to 8 months so i'm hoping i can get fios out there...i'm flying out next week to do some job hunting and will be definately looking into what kind of internet connections are available.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sweet. Cox did whatever maintenance they said they were going to do and now I'm full speed ahead. Nice to see solid, steady download stream from Giganews again!

Come on 50 Mbps soon!
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

Winnow wrote:Wow!

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/ch ... =&variant=

That's fast. Faster than those Swedes have it even! The problem is I don't have a land line phone number to enter to see if I quality. Lame. I need to find a local phone number in my residential area to try out.

For 199.95/month you can get 30Mbps/5Mbps. !!!
Faster then us swedes? :(

I got 100/10 Mbps here.. its free too :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cracc wrote: Faster then us swedes? :(

I got 100/10 Mbps here.. its free too :)

Damn you Nordics!

I was going to mention that the "power boost" I get with Cox is not 28 Mbps like mentioned in the documentation, I'm getting power boost spikes up to 47-49 Mbps which makes the first 100 MB of anything fly by, and then it settles down to 26 Mbps. I'm really happy now with my speeds and can't wait for the 50 Mbps in a few months. This combined with the lightening speeds of Windows 7 (just installed the RTM Ultra 64bit version yesterday) and SDD make my system fly. Windows 7 is really impressive. Now that I'm taking the time to discover everything about it, I can see the attention to detail.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm not a big downloader really. The occasional item here and there. I was actually considering dropping down from 12mb to 6mb because that would take $20 off my bill. Before I do something like that I'd like to know how that will effect my gaming, mainly WoW. Do I really need that kind of speed?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I'm not a big downloader really. The occasional item here and there. I was actually considering dropping down from 12mb to 6mb because that would take $20 off my bill. Before I do something like that I'd like to know how that will effect my gaming, mainly WoW. Do I really need that kind of speed?
For WoW? No. You don't need 12mb for any online game. Up speed is probably more important. And latency of course but that shouldn't change. I'd say save the $20 and go to 6. You can always go back up if you have a need.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You could play WOW lag free with a 100k connection.
1mbps is overkill for online gaming.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've got a 1.5 Mbps downstream in Second Life!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

...back for another episode of eSpeed Freaks

Ran a speed test on my new service level:

I like what I see! I upgraded to the Cox "Ultimate" service.

50/5 Mbps UP/DOWN

I like to keep speed updates in this same thread...gives some perspective to how times change. That 15/2 in the title looked so good back then! Besides downloading those 7GB images in 30 mins, the best part is the upstream speed. No more Upstream bottlenecks.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Free!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Im still stuck on my 15/2 line...i had 10/1.5 and they offered to "upgrade" it to 20/1, but told them that with my PC running 24/7, the extra download was not needed, if it was not down when i went to bed, it would be down when i woke up, but cutting 1/3 of my upload WOULD be noticed, and i was not intersted, so they boosted it to 15/2 instead :)
This is of course with no restrictions on bandwith, neither up or down, they lend me the router, and just send me a new one if it breaks, and i got full control of port forwarding and so on.
All of this cost me 50$ a month

For 60$ a month i could get a 20/2 line, but dont need the speed. :)

Sadly, we got fiber out in the road, 10 meters away from my window, but since i live in an apartment, and the apartment complex owners dont want to pay to get fiber installed in the apartments, i can not get it, or i would have a nice 100/100 line :(
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

$47.99 before taxes...
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

an 800MB movie now takes 1 minute, 50 seconds to download. That's pretty close to instant gratification.

I know most people don't care about speed but I can now use Giganews as my movie jukebox, much like I used to mention using it as my mp3 jukebox. Pretty much every movie/tv show from past year or more is viewable in about 2 minutes.

Plus, remote desktop at 5+Mbps is nice.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I finally took the time to look around my Cox Service web site and found my data usage stats.

It looks like my plan's cap is 400GB/month

Max I've ever done was about 225GB/month but my average is about 60-70GB/month and I've never gone over 100GB besides the one month I hit 225.

400GB/month is for the "Ultimate" service package (55 Mbps down / 5.5 Mbps up)

At least I know I've got some cap space if I ever need it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I would go for 400 GB a month without complaining. My 250 limit still requires a lot of monitoring.

EDIT: I take that back. If you gave me 400GB a month, I would use 400GB a month!
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

70 bucks a month, including unlimited calling for land lines and pretty cheap calls to cellphones.
Fortune favors the brave!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I've been running 70-100Gb\month, more than I suspected. Fell off drastically in Dec with a lot of vacation time.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

I have RCN... heh, dont think he posts here anymore.. but he used to work there... Good prices, not too happy with intermittent internet downtimes...

This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Speednet display test...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1725805517.png

edit: bleh, cant post a pic from work (or I'm just an e-tard)
basically 9.97 M down and 0.94 up from work.
better than I thought. Everyone else sharing the connection must be working!
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Not bad, as I don't have the top package with charter.

I feel bad for my parents. They STILL don't have high speed internet where they live. When I was 10 (14 years ago), living in the same town they are now, in a shittier neighborhood that is a whole 2 miles away from where they are now we had decent DSL. Moved to the house they live in now when I was 16, and the best they have been able to get is verizon 3g wireless internet. It is better than the satellite crap they had for a while, which was like 300 or 400 kbps down and cost $100, and better than dialup...but still had a really shitty delay which basically prohibits any gaming, and is not much faster than the satellite.

They are about to pay a few thousand dollars to have a T1 ran to their house. Thanks to the housing crash, haven't been able to sell it, and my step-father's new job requires him to have a better connection.

It is sad that there are places in the U.S. that still don't have high speed connections. I mean, they live in Alabama (I do too), but they do not live in the middle of nowhere. They are like 10 minutes outside of a Florence, which is a decently sized college town.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Charter as well - getting 100mb on news group dl's, speedtest just ends too fast
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Nothing but the standard on Comcast currently.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fear my upload speed!

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z