Opera 9.01

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Opera 9.01

Post by Winnow »

Not being entirely happy with the IE 7 beta, I looked around for another next gen browswer and found Opera 9.01.

Previously Opera didn't have enough going for it to compete but this new 9.01 has just about everything I need without extensions that Firefox needs and being much faster, less resource hungry, and memory efficient (if you use tabs) than Firefox. So right off the bat, STFU Firefox users and keep reading. (btw Firefox fanbois, Opera was first to use Tabs and Pop up blocking as well)

Opera 9.01, with all of it's features already included, is only 5mb.
Memory and Resource Usage

With all applications that I run, this is one of the most important factors in deciding how I feel about the application. To test this I used Firefox and Opera simultaneously on separate screens and then began opening up tabs and loading pages. With CNN.com and Gomeler.com open in both browsers, Opera was using 36MB of memory while Firefox was using 28MB. Then with 5 tabs open Firefox jumped to 52MB while Opera rose to 41MB of memory used. Then I opened up 20 tabs in each browser and then let the memory resources settle into what I figured was their stable state. Firefox settled in around 140MB while Opera settled in around 78MB, almost half of Firefox. However the big story here was CPU usage. Using a 2.8GHz AMD single-core processor, Firefox was sapping nearly 35% of my CPU cycles while Opera hovered around 2%. To some people this could be very important so take this for whatever it means to you. For one last test, I closed every tab besides the first and then I let the memory usage settle again. This time Opera dropped to 61MB while Firefox dropped to 69MB. I suppose these results are due to Opera not clearing out its trash upon closing so keep this in mind, however both browsers are victims of this.
First and foremost, the most important feature of any browser is the ability to open a search window result (using the web search engine of your choosing) in a new tab automatically without having to so anything other than type in the search and hit return. Opera can do this so I was able to continue trying it out.

Some other key things that I must have are included with Opera:

-Mouse Gestures
-Advanced Tabs (groups etc)
-pop-up blocking
-ad blocking
-mucho customization, short cuts, drag and drop, etc

So far, I'm impressed with the speed and features of Opera 9.

It takes out-of-the-box tweaking and playing around with the menu bars and panels to see all that it can do.

It has bit torrent built in. Not a big deal to me as I don't use bit torrent at all unless I absolutely have to (not on newsgroups for some reason which is not the case 99.9% of the time) Peeps who do use bit torrent may like it.

-Easy to import bookmarks and customize the way they appear.

-Outstanding internal web page, history and bookmark seearching and great right-click context menus depending on what you're doing.

There are no extensions like Firefox has but Opera has all the important things that Forefox NEEDs extenstions for and is already faster than Firefox. Instead, Opera has "Widgets" which can be downloaded that add various things like RSS feeds, To do lists, clocks, etc. These float independantly from the browser and can remain open after closing the browser if you wish (keeping a to do list open for example) Opera also can download customized panels which range from RSS type info, dictionaries, to games you can have open in the panel. Skins are available of course.

Tabs are well done and have hover thumbnail previews of the web page. I like the little trashbox on teh tab bar which keeps your previously visited tabs in case you need to go back to a recent closed one quickly.

The side panel could use some work. Seems to be some wasted space there if using a side window to view your bookmarks. Not critical but could use improvement. It's easily hidden.

Another thing I like is the "fit to width" button option which squeezes a page that has a rigth/left scroll bar into the space provided and does a great job of it. Another outstanding thing handled by Opera is the magnifying glass which zooms or expands your view of a page...but it doesn't just shrink or enlarge the text, it shrinks or enlarges all the images in proportion...awesome. Don't know if Firefox has that but it's very well done in Opera.

Opera has built in IRC client and the fasted Mail client with great search funtionality etc out there (if you happen to use it. Faster then Outlook express).

Here's a list of features for Opera 9:

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

So far, I can't think of anything I don't like. I hear some pages may not work with Opera but the easy fix for those few pages is to set the browser to respond as a "mozilla" browser. Right clicking and "edit site preferences" for any webpage to customize it for pop ups, browser ID, cookies, scripting, etc)

So, basically it's another one of those iPod vs Zen deals. Opera 9 is faster, uses less resources, less memory, has all the key extensions already integrated while being less bloated at the same time. Seems like an easy choice!

As with many things, if you take a look at something for 2 seconds, you aren't going to get the whole picture. If you take a day to play around, investigate the preferences, menu, etc, you'll have a lot beter chance of making a wise decision.

If you want an IE based browser, go with Maxthon, otherwise, Opera 9 looks to be the best choice.

My opinion is subject to change if I run into issues as this is only my first day!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Opera 9.01

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:First and foremost, the most important feature of any browser is the ability to open a search window result (using the web search engine of your choosing) in a new tab automatically without having to so anything other than type in the search and hit return. Opera can do this so I was able to continue trying it out.
Hardly the most important feature of a browser. Maybe the one YOU want the most.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:First and foremost, the most important feature of any browser is the ability to open a search window result (using the web search engine of your choosing) in a new tab automatically without having to so anything other than type in the search and hit return. Opera can do this so I was able to continue trying it out.
Hardly the most important feature of a browser. Maybe the one YOU want the most.
+1 never thought of doing this, and now that I have, never would bother...

As to Opera, been using it for quite a while and yes, it's very nice. However, it does have a really bad habit of falling into a screaming heap if I use it as much as Firefox.

I still keep it as a secondary browser though, because I love it's password management; ie, you can store more than one username/password combination for a single web page.

As to CPU usage, Firefox will have issues with some pages, but strangely they always seem to be the kind of dodgy pages that you would expect to be trouble; full of flash garbage for a start. I regularly have 20+ pages open in Firefox (about 5 of which insist on reloading bits of themselves) and it's averaging around 3-4% CPU (143Mb), while Opera has about 10 static pages open and is more like 1%CPU (80Mb), really quite negligible.

I can see how one test with an undisclosed set of websites would be conclusive though, especially since content is completely static these days and opening a page in one browser will have the same content as in another, one of which perhaps doesn't even have flash or if it did, didn't have a flash advertisement showing... *yawn* not stopping to breathe makes me sleepy.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
+1 never thought of doing this, and now that I have, never would bother...
Soooo, you're browsing VV and think of something to search for. What do you do?

a. I would go up to the search window, type in what I'm looking for and have a new tab open with the results and go back to browsing VV.

b. what Zaelath would do:

Makes sense to me...new searches should open in a new window (and bookmarks) while embedded links open in same window unless already configered to open in new window (such as links in VV pages) or click and dragging (mouse gesture) to open in a new window. Why in the hell would you want to open a new search on top of what you're reading or take an additional step of a keyboard command or button click to open a new tab before searching? If you're aleady on google, you already have a search window within the page if you wish to keep searching using the same tab. It makes no sense at all to have a dedicated search window on a browser open the results in the same window.

----

Been playing with Opera all night watching memory and CPU usage while I had 5-10 widgets open. Memory/resources hasn't been a factor and no crashes yet.

It's staying as my primary browser for now. (Maxthon as backup, IE7 beta as #3 and then, won't install and try Firefox again until version 2 is released down the road which will be awhile with 1.5 just coming out and requiring fixes)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: a. I would go up to the search window, type in what I'm looking for and have a new tab open with the results and go back to browsing VV.

Since you ask... :)

CTRL+T, ALT+HOME, type in what I'm looking for, go back to VV.

CTRL+T works in both Opera/Firefox

ALT+HOME works in everything

The mouse is a fantastic invention, but it's not the fastest way to do a lot of things..

Oooh, which reminded me of another bitch about Opera: If you start typing in the address bar, it will bring up a list of matches you can select from (with the mouse), but you can't TAB through them like you can in Firefox/Internet Explorer/etc. Crazy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Winnow wrote: a. I would go up to the search window, type in what I'm looking for and have a new tab open with the results and go back to browsing VV.

Since you ask... :)

CTRL+T, ALT+HOME, type in what I'm looking for, go back to VV.

CTRL+T works in both Opera/Firefox

ALT+HOME works in everything

The mouse is a fantastic invention, but it's not the fastest way to do a lot of things..
No thanks! I'll take my search window that opens into a new window with no keyboard commands and you can have your ctrl+T, ALT+home...yeah that sounds a lot easier than clicking once in a window.

And you want to open multiple searches at once?

you: cntrl+T, Alt+home, type your search
me: what do you know! my cursor is already in the search window!
Zaelath wrote: Oooh, which reminded me of another bitch about Opera: If you start typing in the address bar, it will bring up a list of matches you can select from (with the mouse), but you can't TAB through them like you can in Firefox/Internet Explorer/etc. Crazy.
You ever try hitting the down arrow? It will take you right to whatever pop up suggestions are in the address bar drop down.

The tab key was a fantastic invention but the arrow keys...wow...just wow!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote: Oooh, which reminded me of another bitch about Opera: If you start typing in the address bar, it will bring up a list of matches you can select from (with the mouse), but you can't TAB through them like you can in Firefox/Internet Explorer/etc. Crazy.
You ever try hitting the down arrow? It will take you right to whatever pop up suggestions are in the address bar drop down.

The tab key was a fantastic invention but the arrow keys...wow...just wow!
Well, I'm sure your constant trolling requires a lot more searching than I tend to do, so I can see where it's the first thing you look for in a browser... I'm going to say it's a personal preference.

However, the Tab key thing... it's inconsistent not to support it like every other browser on the market, and Firefox supports both (Internet Explorer only Tab, Opera only arrows) so it's clearly superior :P

Tab is also reachable without moving from "home" keys.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

BROWSER HOLY WARS!!!

Actually, I just use IE (7.betawhatever at the moment). It may be bloated but it always works and I don't have to rag on people because they programmed to IE instead of standard. To each thier own.
- Ash
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

What Ashur says, I just open up a new tab in IE7 and then use the quick search bar(defaulted to Google of course).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:What Ashur says, I just open up a new tab in IE7 and then use the quick search bar(defaulted to Google of course).
That's extra clickage or typage!

Well, besides some practical things being better on Opera, it's faster and more efficient and has some great search and zoom/shrink funtionality that I'm liking. In actual usage, I can see it's faster/smother than Maxthon which is already faster than an optimized Firefox.

The mail side of things im debating on. I'm used to a separate app for mail (OE). I imported all of my mail/attachments into Opera with no problems and am impressed with the search and filters and separate attachment searching (music, videos, docs, etc). For the moment, I'm using both OE and Opera (Opera leaving the email on the server) Can't hurt to have a backup of emails in a separate database in case of problems.

I'm having a hard time finding a reason not to use Opera 9 atm. Where I can see some not switching is that people get into their little grooves (like iPods and iTunes) and won't take the time to play around with something else long enough to see that it might be better. It took a good day of screwing around to get a feel for the positives and negatives. It will be another week before I've hit enough sites to see how it handles overall.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Firefox 2.0b1 :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kelshara wrote:Firefox 2.0b1 :)
I made a mistake earlier and said I'd be trying Firefox 2 but meant Firefox 3. I saw the development roadmap for Firefox and the interesting stuff doesn't come along until version 3.

Opera already has Open Search (being tested in Firefox 2) and the memory improvements look to be in Firefox 3.
Current plans for the Firefox browser include a v2 release by the end of September and a v3 release by March of next year. The next version of Firefox, 2.0 aka "Bon Echo" includes features such as OpenSearch support, better feed handling including a browser-friendly render of a feed and better pass-through to other applications, and UI improvements on Windows Vista, OS X, and Gnome. You can read about some of the new features on the Firefox 2 requirements page and you should be able to download the first beta version next Tuesday.

Firefox 3 is focused on improved memory handling, performance, and stability, improved XUL, and new core components such as application data stored in SQLite. Firefox 3 could break a few existing extensions and applications built on top of Firefox, and it will definitely include new optimizations if you like to build on the popular browser. Firefox 3 should have additional JavaScript and SVG features if you're into that sort of thing.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Ashur wrote:BROWSER HOLY WARS!!!

Actually, I just use IE (7.betawhatever at the moment). It may be bloated but it always works and I don't have to rag on people because they programmed to IE instead of standard. To each thier own.
Meh, not really. I just get a little bemused when Winnow finally discovers something that's been around for years, uses it for 10 minutes without enough exposure to discover any flaws, then proclaims it the greatest thing in the history of everything and asks why we're all so stupid as to not be using it now that he's shown it to us.

Now I know how the Aboriginals felt about the English.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

:twisted:

I wish more people would post reviews and opinions on these forums. Sometimes I learn things as well from feedback.

More people need to be using Copernic! It's the best app that no one knows about! (and Newsleecher, and Fastone Image Viewer, and...)
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I used Opera before anyone outside of Norway knew of it! HAH! I win.

Very happy with Firefox Beta 2 though.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

is there a shortcut key to get to the search bar? it's way faster for me to do the ctrl-t, alt-home combo than to reach over to my mouse and find the cursor and move it to the search box. keyboard controls 4 lyfe.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Syenye wrote:is there a shortcut key to get to the search bar? it's way faster for me to do the ctrl-t, alt-home combo than to reach over to my mouse and find the cursor and move it to the search box. keyboard controls 4 lyfe.
Ctrl-T, Tab, Type your search, hit Enter. :)
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't know if this is the same on Firefox, but I like being able to hit the "/" key in Opera and start typing to search within a webpage.

CTRL+1 will open the search panel in Opera and allow you to search (opening the result in a new page) CTRL+1 will close it again. (still faster than Firefox!)

Simply hitting the 1 key (back) and 2 key (forward) will switch tabs.

Here are all the Keyboard Commands for Opera 9. Knock yourself out!

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/keyboard/

They are customizable and there are complete setups you can install for commands the same as widgets, skins and panels.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

"/" Works the same in Firefox.

Ctrl+1 takes you to the first tab. Ctrl+2 takes you to the second tab, etc. etc.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Newsleecher?

I've been using Forte Agent since about 1995 or so, so pray tell what does Newsleecher offer over Agent? I haven't even looked in about 10 years since Agent does about everything I need.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:Newsleecher?

I've been using Forte Agent since about 1995 or so, so pray tell what does Newsleecher offer over Agent? I haven't even looked in about 10 years since Agent does about everything I need.
Newsleecher kicks the everloving shit out of Forte for binaries. It has a stupendous search engine/filters which will make your leeching life scarily easy.

You can find pretty much whatever you are looking for within five seconds and be on you way. Super fast searches and the best UI/Preferences out there.

The developer is constantly improving Newsleecher. The app handles million post threads with ease, very stable, excellent control of whatever you want to do.

Newsleecher will be adding the ability to read text newgroups soon but if that's what you're into, Newsleecher isnt for you. It's pure binary bliss atm. For the handful of text groups I read on the rare occasion, Outlook Express works fine.

Keys:

-ungodly fast ability to find what you are looking for (single most important time saving feature)
-excellent single group management as well
-best UI out there
-most powerful while remaining easy to use
-excellent customization options for how/where your files are saved
-virtual groups (combine several newsgroups into a single group and save all files to same location)

I'm pretty sure there's a free 30 day trial for newsleecher. Worth it to check out. One note though, the Newsgroup search during the trial will give you results but not give you the group they're in which is nice to have as eventually you find particular groups with goofy names which turn out to have more files you're interested in and would want to add to your group list to check along with the normal searches for particular files.

http://www.newsleecher.com/
We Have Learned From The Best

It is no secret that the development of NewsLeecher has been inspired by some of the very best newsreaders on the market. We have tried to take the best features from NewsBinPro, NewsPro, BNR, GrabIt and other popular newsreaders and mix them together to make the ultimate newsreader available for our users!

Full Support for NZB Download Files
NewsLeecher has full support for the NZB file format.

Ultra Fast Usenet Super Search Engine
With the built-in Super Search engine, you can search *all* the binary usenet groups at once, for a specific keyword or keystring, in less than a second! The Super Search engine is totally unique in it's speed and it's ability to perform true wildcard searches!

Full Privacy - Spyware & Adware Free
NewsLeecher does *not* contain any spyware or adware that might send personal details over the Internet. In fact, it has been certified as spyware-, adware- and virus-free by one of the largest software sites on the Internet.

Advanced Multiserver Support
NewsLeecher has advanced support for leeching from multiple servers at the same time! An unlimited number of usenet servers can be used to download files at the same time!

Top Tuned yEnc Support
Besides supporting the "old" encoding formats, such as uuEncode, NewsLeecher also supports the brand new encoding format called yEnc. Actually NewsLeecher has a top tuned yEnc decoding engine that makes sure your downloads are decoded smoothly in the background without consuming too much CPU time.

Multithreaded Server Downloading
Besides being able to download from several servers at the same time, NewsLeecher can also use up to 99(!!) simultaneous download threads per server. This could, for example, be used to download 99 pictures from a server at the same time!

Filter System
The filtering feature enables one to find certain posts without going through all received headers. Filter by subject, size, age and more!

Automatic Downloading
The built-in automatic multipart posts processing removes the hassle from combining binary post parts one by one. NewsLeecher detects and combine parts by itself!

Fastest Group Caching in the World
Fast group caching enables much faster group viewing by only receiving the latest available post headers and caching the old ones! The caching routines in NewsLeecher has been tweaked and optimized to be the fastest in the world!

Top Modern User Interface
State of the art user interface with support for XP themes and many options for tweaking the usability and the interface!

Advanced Feature Support
Besides all the usual download features, NewsLeecher also supports tons of advanced features that makes it easy to use your usenet membership to the fullest. Such features include smart article highlighting, a built in group noteblock and much much more!

Compatible Technology
Compatible with Windows 98, Me, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Windows Vista.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I've not used the news client you mentioned Ashur, but I did use newsleecher for quite a while and it's really a fantastic program. The search feature that Winnow mentioned is fantastic.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not sure why they call it a newsreader if you can't actually use it to read news! Agent is where it's at. Been using it since 1995 as well so there's no changing now. If I just did binaries perhaps I'd look at other applications.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

You can use it to read news. I'm not sure how good/bad it would be at that when compared to the application you're currently using, but I know it definitely allows for newsreading. For sure it's primary purpose is binaries though.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

a. I would go up to the search window, type in what I'm looking for and have a new tab open with the results and go back to browsing VV.

I do pretty much the saem as Zaelath.
CTRL+N to open a new browser window, ALT+HOME to go to my start page (google) and start typing my search.... basically 2 keystrokes. Much faster than reaching for my mouse and moving the cursor to the search window.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

More people need to be using Copernic! It's the best app that no one knows about! (and Newsleecher, and Fastone Image Viewer, and...)
I think a lot of people know about Coppernic... it's just that most people I know already use a logical filing system on their computers and don't need an application to help them find things on their computer.... either that or they just don't think that saving themselves a few seconds every once in a while is really worth it.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

My brother actually has something like 200,000 images of automobiles on his PC. He has them logically organized and can find any of them in a few seconds.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
I think a lot of people know about Coppernic... it's just that most people I know already use a logical filing system on their computers and don't need an application to help them find things on their computer.... either that or they just don't think that saving themselves a few seconds every once in a while is really worth it.
there's no fucking way a standard folder filing sytem beats Copernic.

I've explained this many times. Searching for particular file types, searching for ALL instances of a name and then limiting the extension type gives you one list from all folders...with all images, videos, music, etc one click away)

search your 10K mp3 collection for a song name in a second or all songs from an artist no matter what album...have fun with your folder stucture. I'm sure you'll click to all of them eventually. Movies, TV series, any multimedia is the same way. I have it ready to go.

Search for X-Men videos on my system:

Take a look at my directory structure...looks pretty logical to me...It's still is going to take me awhile to get there clicking away on my networked drives.

All X-Men movies, animated series, etc are listed while on the side, you can see

Files: all the comics, pdf files, zipped, rar'd, games (easily filtered), also any pdf or txt file that mentions the X-Men in the body of the file is listed.

Music: zencast file regarding the X-men

Pictures: self explanitory

Emails: any email I mentioned X-men in title or body of email

I get to this conveniently from the search window located on my task bar:

You don't know how to use it is all.

I have an excellent folder structure for my scanned comics which number in the ten's of thousandd. When I want something, I type the name in the window in my task bar and I have it...be it on my Teraserver, or any of my Hard Drives....

When Im looking for an email where I mentioned something specific, I just type the name and up pops the filtered emails.

Ignorance is bliss for those that don't take the time to learn how to make things more efficient...on the flip side, I have a lot more time than you searching for your files no matter how organized you are, you can't do combined searches pulling up multiple media sources from anywhere in seconds, much less beat me finding a simple file even if you knew exaclty where to find it, I'd still get to it faster than you.

As a bonus, for people who download a lot of things and only organize periodically, copernic offers fast ways to find recent files so you can organize periodically which saves time instead of rooting around for folders, creating folders, etc...especially if half or more of the files may be deleted after viewing...periodic filing saves wasted time in filing shit you're going to delete anyway.

I realize your smug remark about being organized is off handed and not thought out like most of your flippant comments...but it just doesn't matter how organized you are, It's not even close to being as effcient or useful as a dedicated, indexed, filtered search engine.

The best solution is both. A good folder strategy and also having Copernic. I don't use Copernic exclusively. Directory Opus (my file/FTP manager) kicks ass for standard file management.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another example of a useful search would be finding songs. They may be well organized but a top 1000 song list is still a shitload of files to scroll through as opposed to typing "cars" and hitting return to sort them all out:

I this particular case, I have a lot of duplicates!

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

That's cool and all, but with me using Itunes for virtually all of my music needs, why that be of any benefit?

I'm in no way trying to knock you (like I do with your iPod vs. Zen religion bullshit :P). You're not the only person I know that swears by those things. I have a coworker that absolutely loves Google Desktop. I even tried using it for a while, but I just never used it. There's never been a time where I've been unable to find something on my PC in a timely manner.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

there's no fucking way a standard folder filing sytem beats Copernic.
Maybe not but it's not all that important to me if it takes me 2 seconds to find something or 2.5 seconds or even 5 seconds. It not like it's a race.

As for searching music files, itunes does it for me instantly... and honestly, the only time i'll be searching for songs is when I have itunes up. I'm organised enough that I keep all my music in the proper directory.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote: I'm in no way trying to knock you (like I do with your iPod vs. Zen religion bullshit :P).
iTunes is nice im sure but it's limited. I'd rather have something that has everything indexed including the bodies of my files (if I choose, can omit directories from indexing (such as ebooks where you may not want all of the fiction books indexed)

Bottom line is that Copernic (and apps like it) are simply much faster and more flexible in finding related files from multiple sources while remaining free and not resource heavy.

I do understand that people get into ruts. Once you're used to searching a particular way, it becomes hard to get used to something different.

I have one friend that goes nuts because I don't hit F2 to get to the URL entry window in a browser. I'm too used to doing it another way.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:iTunes is nice im sure but it's limited.....

....I do understand that people get into ruts. Once you're used to searching a particular way, it becomes hard to get used to something different.
1) How is iTunes limited?

2) Have you considered that you might be the one "stuck in a rut?"

Yes, a good file system can work wonders. You have said before that you leave things in strange places on your drives. THAT is what makes Copernic useful for you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I Tunes is limited to the types of files it can find. I don't see it being very useful for finding pdf files, rars, zips, etc, etc!

I've also said that I don't care if you have a tighter ass than Felix from the Odd Couple and have perfect directory structure, it's slower and impossible to pull multiple related files together from multiple sources.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

If I want to find a certain song, why the hell would I look through pdf's? If I want to find a particular comic, I do not want to see the movies.

When I go into my files, I do so with the intent of accessing ONE particular file. This is not the same thing as doing a search on the net to return all related information, and that's the way you seem to view it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:If I want to find a certain song, why the hell would I look through pdf's? If I want to find a particular comic, I do not want to see the movies.

When I go into my files, I do so with the intent of accessing ONE particular file. This is not the same thing as doing a search on the net to return all related information, and that's the way you seem to view it.
Why so hung up on music files? It was an EXAMPLE.

When searching my files, Im looking for related files as well, or may be, and if im not it's STILL faster for searching for a single file even compared to the most anal of filing systems...how difficult is it to understand that you may have several versions, formats, etc of a particular file or while searching for a song, see that you have a music video or something else related to it? As your media collection grows, it's entirely possible to forget about or not realize you have other related files. I'm starting to get the idea that this may be as difficult to grasp as fuzzy logic for some of you! Seems pretty straight forward to me!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Boogahz wrote:If I want to find a certain song, why the hell would I look through pdf's? If I want to find a particular comic, I do not want to see the movies.

Why so hung up on music files? It was an EXAMPLE.

When searching my files, Im looking for related files as well, or may be, and if im not it's STILL faster for searching for a single file even compared to the most anal of filing systems...how difficult is it to understand that you may have several versions, formats, etc of a particular file or while searching for a song, see that you have a music video or something else related to it? As your media collection grows, it's entirely possible to forget about or not realize you have other related files. I'm starting to get the idea that this may be as difficult to grasp as fuzzy logic for some of you! Seems pretty straight forward to me!
Straightforward....

People talk specifically about finding music and you try to sell them on pulling docs/images/comics/music. People say that iTunes works very well for them, and you say it is limited due to not being able to pull up more than what they are looking for.

It's like going into the store to buy a toaster and being sold a new kitchen. Sure, there's a toaster there, and there are also many other things you did not need.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote: Straightforward....

People talk specifically about finding music and you try to sell them on pulling docs/images/comics/music. People say that iTunes works very well for them, and you say it is limited due to not being able to pull up more than what they are looking for.

It's like going into the store to buy a toaster and being sold a new kitchen. Sure, there's a toaster there, and there are also many other things you did not need.
wtf are you talking about? I wasnt selling them on Copernic as an exclusive music search replacement. Someone brought up iTunes because, I used music one example. If there's any narrow-mindedness going on, it's those that can't think past an mp3 (or whatever proprietary format iTunes uses) It's like your mind closes up shop and can't see the bigger picture.

It's possible in this world of misslions of files to partially remember the name of something or forget where it's located...or even entirely forget you even have a particular file. You've got to be pretty anal to know exactly what you're looking for every single time. I may be looking for a graphic, but dont know the exact one I want out of hundreds from various collections. Type in a name, watch the magic, and them select from the filtered selection of images. Seems straight forward to me!

I should have used searching for cumshots as the example for the entertainment of watching everyone tell me how much better their cumshot searching techniques were! (using the old folder search is better for those btw!)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I Tunes is limited to the types of files it can find. I don't see it being very useful for finding pdf files, rars, zips, etc, etc!
I don't know about you but all of my music is in file formats compatible with itunes.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I dont like iTunes.. Then again I dont own an iPod although I guess you can use it without. I'll stick with WinAmp.

Anyway, does iTunes do flac, ogg and ape?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
I don't know about you but all of my music is in file formats compatible with itunes.
...and all of my music doesn't have to be compatible with iTunes which is great! (and sounds better on my Zen too!)

on a side note...

I walked down the single little row of Macintosh compatible software at Fry's Electronics the other day...what a small selection of overpriced crap in fancy boxes! The biggest advertised software was the Window emulation software...lol, I wonder why....let me tell you why...because Apple has no software and people that buy them need to buy Windows emulators to make them useful.

What a pathetic little isle of software. I've got to say though...the Mac Microsoft Office packaging was really cool! I've never seen to many cool looking shrink wrapped boxes! Gloss baby! Shiny! The same people that are dazzled by that extra layer of gloss on their iPods must be attracted to oddly shaped boxes. Apple's main downfall right now is that they haven't wrapped up the contract to have a huge picture of Bono's face on the front of every piece of software for the Mac.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Blah blah blah, blah blah. (tm)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:Gloss baby! Shiny! The same people that are dazzled by that extra layer of gloss on their iPods must be attracted to oddly shaped boxes.

Ever take the plastic film off of your Zen, or are you still afraid of scratching it's glossy finish?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

...and all of my music doesn't have to be compatible with iTunes which is great!
That comes in handy when your music is in pdf format.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I've learned to hate iTunes with a passion. I hate iPods. However, the new Mac laptops are actually damn good.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:Gloss baby! Shiny! The same people that are dazzled by that extra layer of gloss on their iPods must be attracted to oddly shaped boxes.

Ever take the plastic film off of your Zen, or are you still afraid of scratching it's glossy finish?
I took the film off a long time ago when I bought a nice non gloss skin for it. Check another thread.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

After doing some research, I found a way to make Firefox 2 rc2 open a new search result in a new tab by default without having to hit any gay keys along with it so I'm going to give Firefox a try.
1. Go to “about:config” (type it in the URL field)
2. Filter for “browser.search.openintab”
3. double-click that row to change the value to True.
It's retarded to have to go through this to make searches open by default into a new tab but it's a must for me and anyone wanting to save time that uses searches to find info while wanting to keep their primary window open (VV for example) without having to hit extra keys. I still don't see why anyone wouldnt want this. Even if you wanted to search again on the same page, after a new tab is opened (say google), you have the seach field available directly on the page instead of needing to use the dedicated search window. I'm logical Spock in this matter and you're all illogical Bones and don't get it! It's amazing how many requests on the net I see for making a new search default to a new tab but only Opera sees the light...Firefox (except for this cryptic new method) and IE7 are still fucking clueless. Maxthon could open searches in a new tab by defaul as well.

I'm giving Firefox 2 a try because as awesome as Opera is, and even though it supports the most standards, web designers are retarded and only test with IE and Firefox so there are several java, media, and web positioning issues with Opera that really isn't the browser's fault, it's the faggot web designers that don't design according to standards, but instead test on individual browsers. Bunch of asshats!

Just installed FF2rc2 so will be awhile before I form an opinion. It's already not as cool out of the box as Opera but I found a few extensions that look promising. It's a shame web designers are god damned glue huffers, all of them, or Opera would work great with everything.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

ok, Firefox has like zero preference options but if you go into the unfriendly "about:config", it's very customizable.

Firefox scrolls like a pussy when using the mouse wheel. I found out how to make it scroll like real browser though:

type same "about:config" in URL

search for these two settings:

mousewheel.withnokey.numlines (change to however many lines you want Firefox to scroll when using the mousewheel)
mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines (change from true to false)

BTW, I'm really digging this built in spell checker in FF while I'm typing VV posts. It catches all sorts of G15 related typos!

Now to find a way to open a bookmark in a new tab by default instead of having to click the middle mouse button. What's with these new browsers offering this great new tab innovation and then making it hard to use them? Who the fuck wants to open shit in the same window unless it's a link on the same page? Christ. At least make opening links, bookmarks, searches, etc and easy to toggle option in preferences.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I do that all the time, Bookmarks: ctrl-alt-del, penny-arcade, dilbert, etc. I don't need to leave those open after I've read them.. You're just a wierdo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:I do that all the time, Bookmarks: ctrl-alt-del, penny-arcade, dilbert, etc. I don't need to leave those open after I've read them.. You're just a wierdo.
You're the weirdo!

I found a few more nice extensions:

Super DragAndGo:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/137/

Didn't quite solve my one left-click opening of a bookmark in a new tab but a left flick and drag onto page will open a new tab using this. You can also highligh text and drag it to open a new search. Simple but FF didn't have it while Maxthon did and it's useful.

Showcase:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1810/

Now this is cool. Hit F12 and it pops up a window full of thumbnails (scaled as large as possible and still fit all of them in the window) of all of your open tabs and you can then click the thumbnails to go to them. You can also set it to have your tabs as thumbnails on your sidebar (I recommend switching the setting to leave sidebar open instead of auto closing after clicking on a thumbnail). It's live and the thumbnails refresh as the pages do. Has some other settings as well. Worth playing around with. The F12 thumbnail popup is cool for everyone but the sidebar thumbnail option rocks for those with large wide screen monitors. This is a huge help when I'm doing things like uploading images and comics to VV, switching between tabs quickly while adding all the links to the post. I'm a visual person so seeing the thumbnails is nice.

Coolris Previews:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2207/

This seems kind of cool. It pops up a preview window (resizable) of a link on a page if you hover the mouse over it for a second or two and then allows you to brows that page in the pop up preview window or choose to open it in same or a new tab or click a link that's on the the page in the preview window...anything that allows you to open a link in a new tab (imagine that!) can't be all bad. I grabbed the 1.8.5 version of it mentioned that's awaiting official approval on the link above. Seems cool but need to check out the annoyance factor to see if unwanted previews pop up.

Edit: ok, I'm already annoyed with preview popup all the time while hovering over a link for a second (or whatever you set as the time) but changing the option to "open preview on mouseover icon" will pop up a little icon next to a link you're hovering over and if you move over to that icon it will preview the page. Nice.

I still don't get why Firefox won't let you open a bookmark in a new tab by default as an option. Opera and even IE7 can do this easily. It's fucking retarded. Firefox needs so many extensions because it can't do the basic shit Opera 9 and even IE7 can do. Some of these extensions are nice though.
Last edited by Winnow on October 12, 2006, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.