Wireless streaming of audio from my PC to my Stereo

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wireless streaming of audio from my PC to my Stereo

Post by Voronwë »

So i'm looking to buy a product like the Apple Airport Express that allows me to have a monster music library on a PC, and stream it to my stereo, also having the ability to make playlists, etc.

I do use iTunes to some degree to buy music, but I'm not so deeply invested in that where I would be majorly inconvenienced to use alternate software to control the audio.

Basically, bottom line is I want to be able to control the music from 2 seperate PCs (that are within 50 ft of the stereo and already have wireless connectivity), and I dont want any perceptible sound quality degredation from CD Audio.

So, was just curious if somebody had experience with this product or a competing product and could give me some feedback.

Thanks
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

modchip an xbox. Add a large HD. I believe avalaunch comes with shoutcast like capabilities. Then you can stream audio through your network or blast it through your home theatre system. I'm not running wireless on my xbox because of its proximity to my switch.

Also, xmbc has like every codec known to mankind. I use my xbox to play movies, music, games, etc. etc.

It is more than an xbox and far beyond what Microsoft intended, but more like what I think they want it to be.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There are receivers out that have ethernet connections now. Your wireless requirement aside, a modded X-Box including X-Box Media Center (XBMC) is the best for playing music and videos from your computer through your home entertainment center.

I personally use a 10 foot TOS Link (opticall) digital cable between by PC and Home Theater Receiver to play music and use a 10 foot DVI cable from my PC video card to my projector for the video part. This isn't practical unless your PC is relativealy close to your reveiver.

If I didn't do this, my next best option would be X-Box via LAN as you can stream both audio and video fast enough that way to play DVDs. X-Box can't handle HD material though.

I think you need one of those FM transmitter thingies Voro. The little gizmo transmits your mucis via a certain FM channel that you tune your reveiver to. That way, all y ou would do is connect that gizmo to the output of your audio card and you're set.

this thing:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=166893

Belkin Tunecast II

That will get you the quality of an FM station though. You'd need to use digital optical or RCA type connection if you don't want to lose any quality and preserve the digital signal for the reveiver to decode and play.(or LAN connect to an X-Box described above which has optical out to receiver) That's how I send DTS/AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 signals from my PC to receiver for it to decode. You could also get an audio card that can decode those formats and send the analog signal to your receiver and bypass it's built in decoders...typically it's best to have the receiver do the decoding.
Last edited by Winnow on January 5, 2005, 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

you forgot he said it hasta be cd quality or better.... FM transmitters are o-u-t!

viva la airport!

EDIT: NICE EDITING WINNOW!!!!!111!!ELvn
Last edited by Fash on January 5, 2005, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:you forgot he said it hasta be cd quality or better.... FM transmitters are o-u-t!

viva la airport!
I mentioned that just below:

Belkin Tunecast II

: )

PS: it's Voro we're talking about here! He probably blew out his eardrums at a concert long ago and FM transmission would be fine! : )
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Check the first review out on that page (re: I-Tunes which Voro mentioned)
I, like most, have a variety of media files and it just didn't cut it. I imagine avi must not be represented by a single codec as MOST of my avi's flashed a "not supported" panel. Easy setup sure- but putting it up, getting severely dissappointed, and taking it down is not "easy." Save your time. It also does not stream online music other than aol radio (for a fee); I was also told it would serve rhapsody (FALSE), iTunes (FALSE), and the like. Music via wireless (yes its g) cut out every so often for just a split second but its noticeable and annoying (again probably user specific /placement... but it did, so there you have it). The slideshow seemed patently boring as it lacks transitions, but I did little to experiment with this function as I'd already pretty much given up on it.
That is listed at 155.00. You could buy an X-Box for 149.00 and Cat-5 LAN cable is cheap! You'd have a full blown XBMC audio/video with a great user interface!*

*mod chip costs 49.00 and I'm not sure if it's legal although playing pirated games would be the main concern for the authorities!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've seen those at Fry's Xou. They all had return stickers on them but that probably just means the typical retard tried to set them up.

The only problem I have with that is the cheapest one is 200.00 and you still don't get the outstanding free XBMC interface for playing and organizing your music/movies.

BTW, there's a PC version of XBMC that's great if you do like I do and run directly from PC to receiver:

Media Portal: (Free open source)

http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

argh, didn't read the comments on the Dlink thingy. Sorry!

what about building a media center PC (small/book sized case) and throwing in a beefy hard drive with TiVo clone software, Linux or XP Media Center and network share access to your media files on another PC / server? Seems like that'd be the way to go rather than an xbox hack or a piece of dedicated hardware...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tenuvil wrote:argh, didn't read the comments on the Dlink thingy. Sorry!

what about building a media center PC (small/book sized case) and throwing in a beefy hard drive with TiVo clone software, Linux or XP Media Center and network share access to your media files on another PC / server? Seems like that'd be the way to go rather than an xbox hack or a piece of dedicated hardware...
Well, that would be ideal but it depends on the budget. I don't need that because of my direct link from my PC to receiver/projector (and having a HD-Tivo already)

What do you think it would cost? I'd say, at minimum, 500.00 and that's way over the 149.00 cost of an XBox, even if you throw a 250GB HD in the Xbox for another 150.00 for a total of 300.00. The benefit of the X-Box is that it's sold so cheap...even at a loss as Microsoft hopes to make money on game sales so you're getting a lot of machine (including a DVD player) for cheap.

Have you priced out what something like a Shuttle mini case system would run home built? If Voro's ok with the cost, the mini HTPC is the most versatile solution.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

The big costs of a media center PC is the hard drive and video card.

I just built up a book-sized PC for a point of sale system using basically cruft. I bought the mobo (w/NIC and video) and case new, and recycled a DVD drive, hard drive, CPU, RAM, floppy, kbd, mouse and monitor. Total out of pocket expense was about $100.

For a media center PC a fast 250gb drive and higher end video card with TV out would be required, but RAM speed/quantity and CPU speed are not as important.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

definitely thanks for some interesting ideas.

I'm really looking for a dedicated, and small inconspicuous appliance. If i try to do a homemade job, i have to be honest with myself, it isnt going to get done anytime soon.

The Xbox idea is tempting because of the video functionality, which i have no use for currently, but can foresee one.

anyways, thanks for the input guys =). Leaning towards the apple product at this time.