Brined pork shoulder

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Brined pork shoulder

Post by Aabidano »

Mashup of a couple recipes, comes out amazing.

1 cup salt
3/4 cup sugar (honey & blackstrap molasses work too but not everyone cares for the taste)
2 bay leaves
A few peppercorns
1 clove
6 allspice berries
2 small dried chili peppers
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon dried thyme
3-5 pounds boneless pork loin or a shoulder
Optional: chopped parsley and garlic
Roasting pan
Non-reactive pot large enough to hold meat Oven safe if you aren't using a roasting pan for indoor cooking part. I use a big stainless steel gumbo pot & SS trivet inside.
Rack or oven-safe trivet for bottom of pot
Smoker (optional)
Potatoes & carrots (optional)

Put 2 1/2 gallons cold water in a large, nonreactive container that will hold the meat and brine. Stir in the salt and sugar. Slightly crush and add the bay leaves, peppercorns, clove, allspice, and chili peppers. Add the garlic and thyme. Stab some holes in the roast, I use a big carving fork. Add the pork and put a plate on top to keep the meat submerged.

Refrigerate for 5 days or more (important).

Put on smoker for 2+ hours or to taste @250-300, I usually do ~5 hours as that's when the first fill of charcoal dies down and I take my lunch break. Hickory & mesquite are equally tasty.

Bring inside and put back in pot and cover, or put in roasting pan and seal tightly with foil. Cook 4 1/2 hours at 325.

If you're adding potatoes & carrots do so at this point, cook another 1/2 hour or until potatoes are done.

Meat should be at least 165F all the way through & likely falling off the bone.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."