Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Post by Aslanna »

Platforms: PS4 / PC / Xbox
Release Date: 15-November

I am cautiously optimistic about this one. I almost preordered but some of the people talking about it mention the combat is sort of Dark Souls-y and for me that's a big turn off.

I'll wait until the reviews come out.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Post by Aslanna »

As I had a Best Buy $15 rewards coupon that was expiring 16-Nov, as well as a GCU discount, I decided to preorder and got it for $30. Can't let those coupons go to waste!

I can still cancel before release if the reviews are bad. Assuming the review embargo is up before it releases. I haven't heard any sort of date for that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's no "Outer Worlds" but could be OK.

I'd be wary of once the cool animations of the hero squeezing though crevices with his robot companion also adjusting to fit through the cracks, cool slides down hills, etc are repeated a few times, it may come down to the actual story being interesting. (Outer Worlds shines in this area, it's like a combo between Borderlands and Fallout), Jedi Fallen Order Seemed polished in the demos, looked like it was on rails though as opposed to exploration oriented.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I know nothing about Star Wars at all, but the Souls like combat might actually make me give this a shot, assuming it's a good game overall of course.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The review embargo for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order will not lift until midnight of the launch day, which is a concerning sign that EA wants to prevent any potential negative review scores from affecting the sales of the game. The majority of video game developers and publishers will send out review codes to gaming journalists before a game is released, in order to give them time to finish their reviews before the game hits store shelves.
What is EA trying to hide?!

Ah well. I will keep my preorder since I'm basically paying half price for it. Initial impressions from people have been generally positive but no telling how much they were allowed to play.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

sketchy!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It was sketchy!

Luckily for the most part the reviews are averaging mid 80s so that's not so bad. It sounds like it's not quite as polished as it should be but hopefully performance issues and crashes and such should be fixed by patches in the next week or two. I'm debating on whether I should start now or wait a bit before playing. It also sounds like the first few hours aren't the greatest either. I am getting tired of being told I need to put 5+ hours into every game before it starts getting good!

From all the reviews I've seen the combat is Dark Soulsy so that's disappointing (to me). I'll probably be playing this on story-based difficulty once I verify there is no trophy associated with the game difficulty.

And omg why do Wookies look so terrible?!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah based on the reviews, there's a good chance I'll pick it up. I've got a few games I haven't finished yet that I plan to complete over the winter, but there's not much else coming out for the next few months so I'll need to supplement that a bit where I can. I'll wait until I'm done with Death Stranding for sure, so that's probably another few weeks out anyway, and like you mention by then a lot of performance issues/bugs will hopefully be addressed, too.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I played a few hours of this yesterday and didn't encounter any crashes or other assorted oddities.

One hour of that was spent trying to get out of an area with no obvious exit. So I kept going back and forth trying to figure out how to get out of the area. Turns out there was a puzzle associated with it so that was frustrating. That would have been a non-issue if they had fast travel in this game, which they don't.

The character movement just seems 'off' to me when compared to other triple A third-person games that I've played. Clunky or something. I'm not quite sure how to explain it but it doesn't feel good to me.

And I'm already tired of the sliding down slopes and (trying to) jump on ropes. So far it's been more Uncharted than Star Wars but it's too early to give any sort of score. BD-1 is cool though!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: And I'm already tired of the sliding down slopes and (trying to) jump on ropes. So far it's been more Uncharted than Star Wars but it's too early to give any sort of score. BD-1 is cool though!
I've played about 30+ mins or so, enough to get out of the puzzle tutorial part and fight on a train type thing. I can see a lot of people getting stuck in parts of the tutorial. They needed to include a couple more hints. It wasn't horrible but could waste some time. Maybe they needed that extra time due to short play through times recorded.

- Story seems ok, maybe the best part of the game.

- my concerns about their gimmicky movements (sliding, squeezing through cracks etc) that look cool the first time, are repeated too many times. The one big sliding part in the tutorial was very Tomb Raider-like, never liked those parts of the game.

- the game freezes you in place when it wants to pace the scene which is frustrating when you see your enemy and have to wait to attack.

- main character looks weird to me. Hunched over or something. His face seems off, eyes too big or spread apart or something, like a failed MMO created character I would have deleted and started over with.

- production values are high as expected with a big budget

I'll probably stick to story mode to see if it is interesting but not really interested in blocking 10.000 instead of 1000 Blaster shots with my Lightsaber in a harder mode.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah, since there is no trophy tied to difficulty I've been playing Story Mode and it's not been terrible. I haven't died once!

I must be doing something wrong because every time I evade an attack by rolling away by the time I get back to the enemy they have already recovered. I've tried playing defensively but it's just not clicking for me like the combat in something like a Batman game.

This is just further evidence I don't need to play a Souls game.
Winnow wrote:- my concerns about their gimmicky movements (sliding, squeezing through cracks etc) that look cool the first time, are repeated too many times. The one big sliding part in the tutorial was very Tomb Raider-like, never liked those parts of the game.
Oh.. There's more of that slippy slide coming! The squeezing through cracks is repetitive but at least you can't fall to your death due to bad mechanics. It's there to hide game loading.
Winnow wrote:- the game freezes you in place when it wants to pace the scene which is frustrating when you see your enemy and have to wait to attack.
I did have this happen once where I went up an elevator and everything froze for like 10 seconds. When I finally got control back the enemies were just sitting there non-aggro like they didn't see me. I thought I would have to reload or something due to that but when I attacked them they started to react and that made the rest of the script work as expected. It does make me a bit wary though of getting some sort of glitch that will fuck up my save. That's not the sort of feeling I want from a $60 game. This really needed 4-6 more weeks in the oven but I'm sure EA wanted to get it out there for the holidays because you know... shareholders.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There was another patch yesterday so maybe that helps with some of the jankiness.

I finished the campaign on Tuesday and am working on all the collectibles now. The Platinum trophy doesn't seem like it will be too difficult. However I am starting to hate the map when you get multiple levels it's sometimes hard to figure out how to get to where you need to go so that becomes frustrating. Being able to drop a way point and get some sort of pathing help would have been great!

While it's a good game I don't think I'd name it my Game of the Year. The whole story in general I didn't find all that interesting or new.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So I spent 2 hours on one planet going through looking for all the collectibles. I made pretty good progress until at one point I died in the wall and when I came back I tried to bring up the map but all I got was a blurry screen and no buttons worked other than quitting back to title screen. When I loaded back in all my progress was gone and I was back at the zone in point. Argh!

I don't mind a glitch here and there but not when it wipes out everything I did in the past two hours. Fucking Respawn. Although I should probably blame EA since I'm sure they made them put it out before it was finished.

Regardless.. This is now officially NOT my game of the year due to it's brokenness.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The next day I got hit by an autosave 'glitch' that decided that during my falling to my death would be a good time to save. So I was caught in a death loop and guess what.. The only option was to quit and lose progress again.

I can't wait to 100% this game and move on to something less buggy. If you're just wanting to mainline the story you'll probably be ok but if you're going to be investing more time trying to find all the collectibles and such expect to run into some technical difficulties.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Regardless.. This is now officially NOT my game of the year due to it's brokenness.
Borderlands 3 should be game of the year. It was a blast to play, as always, glitches and all. Outer Worlds should at least be nominated!

Pending something crazy happening, Cyberpunk 2077 should be front runner for GOTY 2020.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Platinum obtained! Done with this game. I look forward to the sequel so hopefully they do much better with that. And that they are allowed the time to get it right.

But yeah out of the games I've played this year I'd probably go with BL3 despite its issues.

Probably back to BL3 for now to check out Mayhem 4. I do want to Platinum that game.

--