No Man's Sky

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No Man's Sky

Post by Winnow »

So it's nighttime on a new planet I've discovered and I find a point of interest on the surface and also need to farm some resources for my hyperdrive. While landing, you can't see directly below you and when you get close to the surface, you hit a button and it autolands the ship for you. Normally this works OK. In this case, not so much. After you land, you are automatically ejected outside of your ship.

First, I didn't see this floating boulder before landing, and then after I landed I was ejected outside of my ship falling off the side to the ground below. Almost, but not quite dying. My jetpack has nowhere near the capability to fly that high so I was stuck without my ship. The closest abandoned science station didn't have a thingy that allows you to call your ship if you have a "bypass chip"

Pretty fucked up! What I ended up doing was using my Multitool laser (used for mining resources) and burrowed a hole/cave inside the lower part of the floating boulder. I was able to use my jetpack to get inside the lower part of the boulder and then proceeded to mine/burrow my way in a spiral pattern up inside the boulder until I reached the top and my ship.

---------------

This unique experience aside, I would describe No Man's Sky as overall boring yet compelling at the same time.

You're going to do pretty much the same stuff you do on the original random planet you start on with every other planet/moon you land on. You upgrade three things as you play; your Exosuit, your Multitool, and your Spaceship.

Space travel is handled well. There's no pain in the ass "match rotation of space station" like you had in Elite in the 80's. You can zip around the solar system or star to star pretty fast as long as you have the resources for your fuel/hyperdrive.

Moving on the surface is pretty slow going. This is a problem as inventory is limited and always seems full and if you are too far away from your ship, you can't autotransport items from your exosuit back to the ship and spend a lot of time walking. Jetpack makes it easy not to get stuck in places.

You can trade resources etc at space stations, some ground stations, and aliens with ships. There isn't a ton of stuff to trade which is good because handling limited inventory slots on exosuit and spaceship has been more of an annoyance than fun. I'm constantly stuck away from my ship with full inventory wasting time deciding what to destroy or if I should go back to my already full ship and destroy something to make room.

No matter where you travel, there are points of interest to discover, various resources and fauna/creatures to catalog.

Seems it's almost always too hot or cold for your exosuit so you have to manage that with resourced to replenish shields etc.

Highly recommend you accept the "Atlas guidance" that is offered to you at the beginning of the game. It offers suggestions as to what you need to gather or do to advance. Also, it eventually puts you on a path to the center of the galaxy/universe and gets you at least one "Atlas Stone" which are important. You can choose not to accept guidance but I think that'd be more frustrating than anything since you can wander off anywhere, anytime even with Atlas.

The game is definitely about the journey and not the destination. No need to rush anything as I don't think there's an interesting ending or anything.

You can play this offline on PC. The only thing you miss out on is naming your planets and animals and uploading them in case others land on your discovered planets. I'd say "try before you buy" on this one and even if you do buy, it feels like a $20 type game more than the $60 being asked for. Way better than Spore but still lacking and even if you do like it, may not spend more than 10 hours on it before moving on (or you may spend thousands of hours if it's your cup of tea). Might have been better if they allowed multiplayer with two people running around as it has a very lonely feel to it.

If this concept is used by an AAA game company with Mass Effect level production values and co-player, more depth to trading, it could be awesome. I was hoping Star Citizen would be something like that. I care less about flying my ship/combat and more about exploring planets, gathering info, trading, etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Winnow »

Still playing so it can't be all that bad.

Lots of ways to make money in the game but I found the easiest way to make millions quickly is trading Dynamic Resonators in space stations. You'll need to gather up the money to buy at least one initially but you can flip it for 55K (prices vary slightly station to station.) You'll get to know the various ship types/colors to know who's buying/selling for the right prices.

If you do the above, I'd recommend doing it before you reach the first Anomaly (about 7 Warps into the game if on the Atlas Path) as I think economies change as you get close to the center.

The way it works is there are a handful of trader ships that fly in an out of a space station. About half sell the Dynamic Resonator around the "normal" price of 33K. The other half will buy it for around 55K. In a busy station (they vary so find a busy one), you can basically stay in the landing dock and run ship to ship buying and selling Dynamic Resonators. I made 5 millions space bucks in an hour or so which is plenty to buy an upgraded Spaceship with more inventory slots and upgrade multi tools etc.

Nice thing about random generated planets is that you can find some with crazy amounts of valuable products. One is "Venom Sacs" which sell for 20-30K.

Money is important mostly for expanding your inventory slots which makes the game less annoying. A lot of items don't stack which sucks.

-----------------------

Still not sure on the longevity of the game but if you liked Elite or like trading/exploring, it will be worth checking out when it hits the dollar amount you're comfortable with.

I watched the Steam videos on No Man's Sky game page and they are incredibly boring looking. Not that the game is that exciting but man, they undersold themselves a bit on those videos. They don't even show any action (fighting robot guards), or even the mechanics of mining, discovering species etc. I guess good for them on not false advertising.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ha, some strange creatures out there.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I finally got around to playing last night. Its fun, but would love a bit more home basing. The storage "process" is annoying, constantly deleting, dumping, selling, to manage space is annoying.

But beyond that its fun. Its confusing too. I mean, some direction would be great. I feel like everytime I go into a little hut or whatever, and get the schematic off the wall unit, its somethign I already have. Then, I found three backpack upgrade huts in a row, so it was confusing on how things aren't spaced out well, or anything really. Very annoying to not have a recipe for something that cost 100k on the market.

I haven't seen anything about ship upgrades yet...or new ships...I have the preorder bonus ship which is certainly better than the starter one. But I'm not that far in, I'm only at my second system following the tutorial starter quests.

Do you park and just walk between sites, or do you constantly fly to the next ? mark building spot?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I find it fascinating how the reviews range from 50 (I mean, really.. 5/10?) to 90. It seems some people were expecting something different than what they got. Although from what I've seen it's pretty much what I thought it would be. However the inventory system sounds pretty fucked. And it was EXPANDED with the day one patch so I can't imagine how limited it was before that. Hopefully they find ways, that don't involve paid DLC, to alleviate the constant inventory woes I hear pretty much most everyone complaining about.

For me, there's too much 'survival' in this game as opposed to just exploration. However all the planets and creatures start to look similar after awhile so exploration may lose its appeal as well.

This probably should have been priced at $40 like The Witness. A game I was mildly interested in but certainly not all hyped up like the people sending death threats to Sean Murray over a game delay. If it ever hits $20, which it more than likely will, I'll probably pick it up. But currently I don't have any time for gaming so it makes no sense to buy it now at $60.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've played it a bit - only warped once. I'm landing and doing at least a bit of exploring on each planet, the one I am currently on I might go for full exploration on. It's a cool game, but I don't see it holding my interest long term - I hope to finish up one trip to the center, and that will probably be it for me. The lack of inventory space is one of the things that annoys me the most about survival games; I get why it's done but I just detest it. I want to be able to pick up everything of any value along the way and hold it all, as well as have a quick way to sort it all.

I know it's not what they were going for, but more interaction with other people in various ways would give this game more longevity for me (I'm guessing I'm not alone on this - haha, get it?). Make base building so that you can build up a trade hub, and you can then put out those coordinates and other players can come to trade, or try and take you out. That kind of thing.
Kluden wrote:Do you park and just walk between sites, or do you constantly fly to the next ? mark building spot?
I usually park my initial time and do a fair amount of wandering, I'll eventually make my way back to my ship (or summon it somewhere) and depending on whether the planet interests me or not I may fly around the surface a while looking for more points of interest.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I finally got around to playing last night. Its fun, but would love a bit more home basing. The storage "process" is annoying, constantly deleting, dumping, selling, to manage space is annoying.

But beyond that its fun. Its confusing too. I mean, some direction would be great. I feel like everytime I go into a little hut or whatever, and get the schematic off the wall unit, its somethign I already have. Then, I found three backpack upgrade huts in a row, so it was confusing on how things aren't spaced out well, or anything really. Very annoying to not have a recipe for something that cost 100k on the market.

I haven't seen anything about ship upgrades yet...or new ships...I have the preorder bonus ship which is certainly better than the starter one. But I'm not that far in, I'm only at my second system following the tutorial starter quests.

Do you park and just walk between sites, or do you constantly fly to the next ? mark building spot?
One thing to know about the upgrades is they use Greek terminology so Omega>Theta>Tau>Sigma when it comes to best to worst rankings (Sigmas are usually what you get early on)

The Warp Drive fuel core thingies are the biggest pain and I think it's on purpose. You eventually get recipes for the various parts and warp cores become easier to obtain but they don't want you scooting through the star systems super fast in the beginning and want you to check out the planets.

Make note of the Dynamic Resonator money making trade strategy I posted above. That will ease some things.

I fly to various sites on the planet unless things are really close. Keep harvesting Plutonium (spikey red crystal things on planets) to keep your ship fueled.

I'm liking the game. Amazing how I get caught up on a particular moon or planet for longer than I expected just because how cool it looks or I keep finding things to explore.

As for ships, I still have my original ship although I have 5+ million credits banked so can buy a better one, I just haven't found one I want yet. I want a 26+ slot one next or better. I have 25 inventory slots in my Exosuit now so that makes things better.

Follow the path of the Atlas. It helps a lot to get you the things you need. You can wander anytime you choose but I wouldn't warp to random stars until you're comfortable. There are tons of planets to explore (all randomly generated) along the path.

Decent resource for tips is Reddit No Man's Sky:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Also for traveling faster while on foot. Use the melee/jetpack trick to speed along the surface. While walking forward (W) on PC) hit the Q (melee) and then SPACE (Jetpack) to move really fast. You need to hit the jetpack pretty fast after hitting the melee key (while walking forward) once you get the hang of it, it's much fast way to travel.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: For me, there's too much 'survival' in this game as opposed to just exploration. However all the planets and creatures start to look similar after awhile so exploration may lose its appeal as well.

It's not so bad (survival) after the first 2-4 hours. It really is ALL about the exploration which is excellent in this game. The basics of what you do on each planet are the same but I'm still running into new environments, etc that make me spend time just flying around the surface or wandering around checking out the fauna and critters, etc.

Inventory is less of a pain 10+ hours in as you can expand your inventory two ways. Finding dropship locations on planets or, once you get the Atlas Pass v1, EVERY station you visit you'll be able to expand your inventory by 1 slot up to 50 slots max. It cost 10K for first expansion, 20K the next, 30K and so on. I paid 110K for my last expansion but keep in mind I also have 5 Million credits now so not as expensive as it may seem in the beginning.

It may even be worth 60.00 in the long run. All DLC will be free and they're using the Witcher model as a template which is a good thing. They plan Freighters and a Base you can customize as some things. Not sure how base would work since you're constantly traveling but the Freight may indicate warehouses of some sort which would be nice.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Oh, I don't think its a $60 game, but I bought it anyways as I had a lot of steam credit to spend.

Most of these types of games are $30, arent they? But yeah, the hype machine took over and Sony exclusive blah blah blah made it $60. Good for Hello Games, they make more money than a AAA studio title would on each I assume. I'm enjoying the game, and have no regrets on price. It is what it is. But yeah, its definitely one of those games where you like it or you just don't. So the reviews seem typical to me. Doubt there are a lot of 70's...just 90 or 50. Like/don't like.

I do struggle to understand how it taxes my system though, I'm fairly sure its the OpenGL and shoddy programming of a small studio. It runs fine, but should run a lot better, the graphics aren't anything special at all.

yeah, I did some reading up on things to help, since the game just doesn't tell you shit. I guess going to a planet, and just hunting down wrecked ships is the cheapest way to get a ship with more slots, as the found shipwrecks are typicall +1 slot over your current ship....so you just have to do that 30 times to get to 48 slot ship.

I need to find a way to get that atlas pass then, as finding those pods is not easy...I got lucky with 3 being in a row as ? marks on map.

Multitools are the same as scavenging a wrecked ship. Each time you find one for sale, its going to have +1 or +2 slots over your current one.

My only problem is I upgraded my starter ship, and made a bunch of warp cores and fueled up the hyperdrive...so I'll lose all those if I switch ships. No big deal, to be honest, but still, time lost.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:
I need to find a way to get that atlas pass then, as finding those pods is not easy...I got lucky with 3 being in a row as ? marks on map.
If you followed the Atlas path, about 5-6 Warps in you'll be given an Atlas Pass V1. Best thing about it is it's permanent pass, you don't need to keep making it etc. Can use same over over and over. Note, those canisters, etc that require the Atlas pass generally have the stuff you need to make warp core fuel along with other stuff.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote: My only problem is I upgraded my starter ship, and made a bunch of warp cores and fueled up the hyperdrive...so I'll lose all those if I switch ships. No big deal, to be honest, but still, time lost.
There are a few ways to obtain ships. You can buy them anywhere you see one by interacting with the pilot. You can also obtain them by responding to distress signals which locate downed ships. When you arrive, there will be a damaged ship (you'll need to repair which usually requires zinc). Before transferring and accepting the new ship, dismantle (middle mouse button) everything you can from your previous ship which will break it down into the components required to make it which you can take with you on the new ship. while comparing the two ships, if you hit X (on PC) you can xfer over the inventory items to the new ship.

I think Zinc and some other basic materials would be needed to get the propulsion system going so you can at least repair and fly the ship to a space station. This would be a lot cheaper than buying a new ship but you need to find a crashed ship (distress signals) and then make sure new ship has more slots for it to be worth upgrading.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Make sure you are cataloging plant and animals (the visor looking component on your multi-tool allows this) hit (F of PC) to zoom in on a critter/plant, hold it for a few seconds and it will analyze and record it as your discovery.

In the menu, under discoveries, you can upload your planets, systems, plants and receive credits for each of them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Also using the beacons(they have the big orange beam of light going up out of them) if you have it locate a "Shelter" one of the things considered a shelter is a drop pod, which is where you can expand your inventory. To access the beacon you just need to craft a bypass chip, which is consumed once you pick one of the four options to be located.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, doing all that, played a good 5 hours lastnight. I couldn't find distress signals...kept getting fucking alien monolith places.

Before you ask, yes, I goto the orange transmission beacon things, hack it, search for Transmission, sends me to an obersvatory (usually), then you do the math equation when you get to it, and it has a chance of picking up a distress beacon or something else. In ten attempts, I got 2 ships, and 8 something elses.

Oh well, will keep going, as I don't have enough cash to buy a ship, although it would appear that I should have just stayed on that graviton ball planet, and just kept flying back and forth selling those all day long.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I still have original 16 slot ship. A big reason to upgrade ship is because of the atlas stones. You need 10 of them at the end of the game and they don't stack.

I've found increasing my Exosuit to 25 slots (so far) has helped a lot. I'll buy a new ship soon but it's not critical. (I'm trying to find one with a decent set of modules already installed, specifically the extended warp drive thingy)
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, money tip advice, as soon as you find a planet with graviton balls on it, loot/sell/repeat. I left too early. yes, the sentinals attack immediately, but running around and jet packing back to your ship isn't that hard to do. Well, it would have been worth it on the planet I was on (a moon), as the graviton balls were pretty common.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

People sure are being babies about this game and wanting a refund. Sure it may not be what they were wanting or expecting but that's what you get for being preordering suckers. Try waiting for reviews next time. If you didn't want to then oh well too bad.

And yes I say that as someone who preordered Horizon Zero Dawn. But if it doesn't live up to my expectations I'm not going to start crying and demanding a refund.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I never understood the refund thing for preorders (unless of course the game constantly delays, and you are just fed up with that kind of silly).

I don't preorder often at all...maybe 1 time a year, if that. It just doesn't make sense, as the bonus content is usually marginalized after 1 hour of game play, etc. This game, is what it is. I'm not sure that I expected it to be more myself...its just less building minecraft. I felt that formula was pretty obvious from the gameplay trailers, etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I never understood the refund thing for preorders (unless of course the game constantly delays, and you are just fed up with that kind of silly).
NMS peeps only have a little money invested. I'm flat out amazed by the number of "completionist package" badges I see while reading the Star Citizen forums. That's $15,000 invested (real US dollar $15,000)

There are a lot of $1,000 and $5,000 badges I see as well.

Thought I was a little crazy for spending $500.00 but that's chump change compared to these Space game fanatics.

Those $1K battleships they offered a limited 1000 of sold out in seconds. If they sold another 1K of them, they'd sell out in seconds again. Star Citizen is on a whole new level of crazy when it comes to virtual goods.

They passed 120 Million in funding a few days ago and had their best pledge day of 2016 a week ago. It's not slowing down.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Just got the last achievement on No Mans Sky. Impressive technology but the end result was such a dissapointment.

As well..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

From Polygon:
Of course, Sony did its fair share of hyping up No Man’s Sky, giving the game prime placement at multiple PlayStation Experience conventions and E3s. The company marketed No Man’s Sky as if it were a first-party PlayStation 4 title, even though it only published the disc-based PS4 version — Hello Games developed and published the digital versions for PS4 and Windows PC.
Of course the Sony fanbois don't want to hear it but it's true that Sony treated this 4 man Independent game like a AAA game because it was a PS4 console exclusive and it looked good in, you guessed it, their fancy E3 show.

There's another game like this in the works by an old developer from the 80's that Sony was pimping their last conference. Hey, as long as it looks good while an orchestra is playing fancy music it's fair game for Sony. Blind fans will ignore the fact that this has been happening ever since the failed/delayed game promises of the original PS4 console release. Sony knows what's it's doing to divert attention from crappy E3 presentations.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

/yawn

I think I'm pretty much done with VV at this point. Your attempts at trolling are just fucking stupid. I honestly think you've single-handedly driven away 90% of the people that used to post here. Congratulations!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Could be! There really hasn't been much going on here for 5-8 years and practically nothing the past 2-3 years. In between the boring Console war posts I at least tried to make other posts but no one really uses this board save for an occasional tech question. With Microsoft console sales on the rise and Scorpio/VR solutions looking more powerful for next year, I can see why the few people left (Team Sony) would be getting tired with the site.

It is a shame that the history will vanish when Py stops hosting the forum as years down the road it will still be interesting to see comments made 10+ years ago. I wouldn't mind storing the message database for posterity.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

True, too many folks have left. But I'm sure its more to do with life than anything else. There was never that many folks on here anyways, less than 100(?), so its not uncommon for them to flee for bigger communities. I'm in to tech stuff and gaming. Not really interested in stocks, stock prices, console battles, etc. none interest me. I still read here, post here, because why not? It may just be 12 people left, most don't post, but its still something to read on occasion.

I'm just sitting here waiting for FFXV, that game that's been in development cycle since like 2006. So we can talk about that delayed game, redone game, whatever the hell it is now that its had several titles, made for one platform, then ditched, then revived for the newer platform...

But yeah, NMS, I stopped playing as it was just too repetitive, I'll get back to it, but had to take a break. WIth their code updates, I can't find multitools with any more slots than the 25 one I have already. Good thing I already got my suit and ship up to max.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yeah, it was an OK game for what it was which was an Indie game. The problem is that it was pimped up and marketed by the developers and Sony as a AAA $60.00 title. It would have been fine as one of those $15.00 games on steam that are also made by teams of 2-5 people.

Star Citizen has 365 people working on their game as of last month and you can play that one for $45.00 and they even have fly free weeks a few times a year so you can fully try it out before even spending that $45.00. If NMS allowed a fly free week it wouldn't have made any sales while Star Citizen continues to pull in an incredible amount of development money from ship sales even after 4 years.

NMS (like Spore) threw out big numbers (quintilion star systems etc) but after 4-10 systems they all begin to have the same look/characteristics. That wouldn't be so bad but the rest of the game, lore, trading, ship/character building were lacking.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kluden wrote:True, too many folks have left. But I'm sure its more to do with life than anything else. There was never that many folks on here anyways, less than 100(?), so its not uncommon for them to flee for bigger communities. I'm in to tech stuff and gaming. Not really interested in stocks, stock prices, console battles, etc. none interest me. I still read here, post here, because why not? It may just be 12 people left, most don't post, but its still something to read on occasion.

I'm just sitting here waiting for FFXV, that game that's been in development cycle since like 2006. So we can talk about that delayed game, redone game, whatever the hell it is now that its had several titles, made for one platform, then ditched, then revived for the newer platform...

But yeah, NMS, I stopped playing as it was just too repetitive, I'll get back to it, but had to take a break. WIth their code updates, I can't find multitools with any more slots than the 25 one I have already. Good thing I already got my suit and ship up to max.
I'm really excited for FFXV as well! This last delay really got me. In the meantime, I'm still playing quite a bit of FF XIV, so I get my FF fix.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Gamestop has this for $20. I am thinking of picking it up but it's probably something I wouldn't play at this time. They are still working on it and announced a patch coming soon. Who knows maybe in 6 months it will have some cool stuff!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

That's the first update patch notes.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I saw Amazon also had this for $20 today (Sunday) so decided to pick it up although I doubt I'll install it anytime soon. Unfortunately time will tell if the updates get people to come back to the game. There are a bunch of negative Nancys out there that shit over the game every time there is an article about it as if Hello Games had killed their dog or something. As I previously said, sure it's not what YOU (the generic you) expected it to be but in the grand scheme of things it was a $60 game and not the end of the world. Maybe try being a responsible consumer and not preordering shit until you know more about it and have read a few reviews. A lot of people have seriously lost a grip on reality these days on which I mostly blame social media.

Sure, even for $20 I may end up being disappointed by the game but I'll get over it.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

No Man’s Sky creators cleared of false advertising allegations

UK’s ASA investigated and found no breach

Hello Games did not use misleading ads or exaggerate the features of No Man’s Sky on its Steam sales page, according to an investigation by U.K.-based Advertising Standards Authority.
In other news.. The sky is blue during the day!

If you don't like it that's fine. But the amount of people saying Hello Games lied or whatever... Fuck off. Nobody but yourself to blame for buying a game you don't like.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Now that's pretty funny. What a waste of time and money! This is just a case for someone who learned not to preorder.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'd say it's a bit more significant than you're giving it credit for, considering Steam had to start a new policy regarding not using screenshots that aren't from final in game footage. False advertising is false advertising, if you say something is going to be in your game and then don't later explain that it was taken out, you should be held accountable for misrepresenting your product just like you would with any other type of good/service. People just not pre ordering isn't enough.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I disagree. If you don't preorder, and wait for a review, you won't waste your money (or get con'ed, or whatever other fear there is). If you don't care, and preorder, buyer beware. Is it worth the risk? Sometimes, sure. But come on, this was an independent studio, selling a game at AAA studio pricing. Of course there were angry people. Its a $20 indie game.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kluden wrote:I disagree. If you don't preorder, and wait for a review, you won't waste your money (or get con'ed, or whatever other fear there is). If you don't care, and preorder, buyer beware. Is it worth the risk? Sometimes, sure. But come on, this was an independent studio, selling a game at AAA studio pricing. Of course there were angry people. Its a $20 indie game.
Yeah, but what they're doing is predatory, and it's hurting pre-order business (and I'd even argue game sales period) for everyone. If Tesla shipped the Model 3 without auto pilot, and with only a 50 mile range, you really think that the response would be "well you shouldn't have pre ordered then". There should be standards that people are held to, and you should be able to count on what you're told about a product, especially when you're being told that in an effort to get you to pre order.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's buyer beware for all games. Even with Star Citizen, I've spent quite a chunk of money (about 1K from 2014-2016) on ships for Star Citizen with the understanding it could end up sucking or may not be out of alpha/beta until 2018.

Bottom line: If you want to play it safe, don't buy any game until after it's released. You can watch a bazillion streams of new games the day they are released on both consoles and on twitch, etc for PC games and unlike pre-recorded videos, can ask questions on those streams. With digital downloads, you don't even have to miss out on the first days and can still check it out first.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

actually, I would argue if you're dumb enough to pay for someone elses research fees (ie, tesla), then shame on you. But you probably had enough money to piss away on a fancy 50 mile range car anyways!

In reality, I hear you, I get your point, I just don't agree with it. Hurting the preorder "business" is exactly why I don't feel bad for whiners. Preordering, as an idea, is not a "business", but it has turned into one. So I say, you get what you deserve. If you trust people you never met, well, so sorry, too bad. I preordered NMS, I don't regret it. I preordered FF15, I won't regret it. But that's the whole sum of my preorders for the year.

I've been burned on one funding campaign thing so far, the Swyp card, but eventually it will ship to me. I just feel burned as its a year late. But I don't want to sue them for not delivering on promises. They said it would have the chip in it for transactions, the first model doesn't. I'm not suing them.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'd say it's a bit more significant than you're giving it credit for, considering Steam had to start a new policy regarding not using screenshots that aren't from final in game footage. False advertising is false advertising, if you say something is going to be in your game and then don't later explain that it was taken out, you should be held accountable for misrepresenting your product just like you would with any other type of good/service. People just not pre ordering isn't enough.
Point is.. It wasn't false advertising. They were cleared of that by a legit source.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:actually, I would argue if you're dumb enough to pay for someone elses research fees (ie, tesla), then shame on you. But you probably had enough money to piss away on a fancy 50 mile range car anyways!
In general yes, but Star Citizen ship sales are clearly stated everywhere that it's a pledge to help develop the game. It's a kickstarter fully pledge funded game (approaching 140 Million after the anniversary sale last week). They state clearly that you can earn everything in the game, including the $350-2,700 ships being sold.

The company is incredibly transparent with their development, Multiple weekly developer shows break down progress and status of the game along with a schedule. I don't know of any other game that has about 1.5 hours weekly developer live/you tube shows (around the Verse, Reverse the Verse and Bug Smashers, along with Loremaker's Guide to the Galaxy) covering various parts of the game and progress each week. All of those shows are archived as well so there's a fuck-ton of information about the game available to make a decision on whether to help fund it by making a pledge. The official forums as well as Reddit forums are hyper active as well.

On top of that, you can actually play in the alpha (and have been able to for a year+) and it's laggy and buggy as hell.

I'm OK with buying into that. There's no false advertising, just a lot of potential players hungry for a high quality space sim game that has no "big brother" game company trying to dictate things and wasting half the budget on marketing.

You can't toss all pre-orders/pledges into the same bucket. Well maybe most of them. I suppose Star Citizen is pretty unique in that respect.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I wasn't commenting on star citizen. I do the funding campaign stuff too. I'm just saying, you know what you're getting into mostly, with those things.

I just don't like to preorder, because developers do what is being discussed...they sell a product that isn't what is being sold to you. They don't know that, most the time, and its technically not false advertising, as the game didn't come out yet, and all those preorders say something like "final product may not be represented in these screenshots, etc".

I'm just on team "why are you complaining?"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kluden wrote:I wasn't commenting on star citizen. I do the funding campaign stuff too. I'm just saying, you know what you're getting into mostly, with those things.

I just don't like to preorder, because developers do what is being discussed...they sell a product that isn't what is being sold to you. They don't know that, most the time, and its technically not false advertising, as the game didn't come out yet, and all those preorders say something like "final product may not be represented in these screenshots, etc".

I'm just on team "why are you complaining?"
I don't know, I guess to me the solution to the problem isn't to put the blame on people that are being mislead, the solution is for the developers to be held accountable in such a way that they stop being predatory fuckheads. I don't like that we just write this kind of shit off as "that's how it is" instead of running these cunts out of business if they can't have an open and honest line of communication with their customers.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

You're probably right, in that the blame doesn't revolve around the customer, but to me, and the preorder "business" that it is, the only way to run these folks into honesty, is by not funding their research/programming, by not preordering. Make them work hard for your money, by buying something after its properly vetted through reviews.

That's not blaming the consumer...its putting the responsibility back on the programmer/studio. But we all fall for that dumb shit "free" DLC if we preorder. By funding early, before a release, programmers/studios will just tend to sit on their accomplishments once they get their preorder count in. They know its a winner etc, already...so then its just "get it out the fucken door". If you don't fund them early, they have to complete it, so it reviews well, and people actually buy it.

To me, that's the solution to the problem. The problem was created by Dev's, was fueled by consumers, and can only be fixed by the same consumers that fuel it.

So yes, I blame preordering for the decline in honest games/devs/etc. The hard part for me, on preordering, is when it comes with a hefty discount...like FF15 did with Amazon prime. it was like $20 off if you preordered. Since I'm a naturally cheap ass, I bit!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Speaking of pre-hype. I would through money at this game based on the trailed posted almost 4 year ago now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

The difference with this is the CD Projekt RED (developers of The Witcher series) don't need money and can take as long as they want.

If that video was put out on kickstarter by another company, it would have made quite a chunk of money.

Cyberpunk 2077 would be a must buy/risk based solely on the Witcher series. Best hype video ever with zero game play.

Here's the best limited info on the game:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/cyb ... ws-rumors/

Hopefully when announced it will be well on it's way to release considering the 4 years it's been in development (although probably not much as they worked on Witcher 3)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why do you post on a thread with something totally related to something else? Why not start a new topic?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Because it's related to pre-hype for a game and 3 people read these forums. Why does anyone continue to give a fuck about what thread something is posted in when the forum is lucky to get 1 post a day?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

New patch now live. Pathfinder Update!
- Visual updates
- Online base sharing
- Own multiple ships
- Starship specializations
- PlayStation 4 Pro support
- New vehicles — exocraft
- Exocraft races
- New shops and traders
- Base building variety
- Multi-tool specialization and classes
- New weapon modes
- Permadeath mode
- Photo mode
- Discovery menu
- Music from 65daysofstatic
- Quality of life improvements

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, this will get me to play again...if only my backlog wasn't so huge!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The game was fun for a little while but lacks for long term goals. It would have been nice to have had these features at launch.

Seems to be plenty of more recent games and upcoming games to keep people busy in the near future.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I might give it a shot if I wasn't already currently playing four games, with two more on the immediate horizon.