Fallout 4 - PS4, PC, XBO

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fallout 4 - PS4, PC, XBO

Post by Aslanna »

Trailer!

Doggy!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Fallout 4 - PS4, PC, XBO

Post by Neziroth »

Man, I love fallout's atmosphere and even the gameplay, but for whatever reason I have so much trouble *staying* interested.

I'm half excited for this, but I wish I was way more into it. I need to revisit New Vegas and see if I can't get back into it... I have maybe 5 hours in, and just for whatever reason I stopped playing.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pre-ordered this tonight on XBox One. It downloaded to my hard drive right after ordering ~28 GB. Ready for Nov 10th @ 12:01am!

Pre ordering gets you Free Fallout 3 but doubt I'll play it (Xbox One compatible version).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Was planning to play as a male character but will probably go female. Seems most are saying the female voice acting is better and there's a ton of it in the game so may as well enjoy it.

Courtenay Taylor (voice actress for Jack in Mass Effect 3) is the voice actress

Another thing that's semi important is choosing a name that has been pre recorded and able to be said in the game. If you create a name not pre recorded it will make the dialogue not as good.

Fuckface is one name that is known to work. Supposedly 1000 of the most popular western names are in the game. Unfortunately you won't know if the name works until after creating your character and talking to Codsworth.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Much better interactive perk calculator:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=1&p=1&e=1&

Also good site in general for Fallout 4 info:

http://www.nukahub.com/

Still not a lot of info but framework is set.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fallout 4' Gunplay Influenced By 'Destiny,'

Bethesda Softworks’ effort to translate the Fallout gameplay to the first-person perspective with Fallout 3 largely succeeded, but the gunplay was not quite up to snuff. The developer took a different approach with Fallout 4 for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC by taking inspiration from Bungie’s Destiny and also one of the game’s senior designers.

The latest issue of Game Informer magazine released Wednesday revealed Destiny’s influence on Fallout 4. The developers at Bethesda wanted to ensure that players feel that the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.) and traditional gunplay was equally viable and enjoyable options for players, which was not the case with the previous game.

Bethesda chose Destiny as its gunplay goal for two reasons. First, the gunplay in the game is exceptional. The story and RPG mechanics of Destiny have been heavily criticized since its September 2014 release, but the mechanics and feel of shooting the game’s weapons have been universally praised. Second, Destiny runs at 30 frames per second (fps), which is the same frame rate as Fallout 4
Well there you go. The only good thing about Destiny used in a better game. Exactly what I had suggested should happen!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I bought the Pip Boy version (to hopefully try to flip!). Unfortunately I am out of town during the week. Hopefully someone won't steal it off my porch!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I bought the Pip Boy version (to hopefully try to flip!). Unfortunately I am out of town during the week. Hopefully someone won't steal it off my porch!
Good thing you have the iPhone 6 as the 6+ won't fit in the Pip Boy thingy!

The perk system is blowing my mind. Every time I think I have an initial perk build I like, it changes.

I suggest taking some time to play around with initial perks. It will take 265 levels to completely max your character. You get 28 points to start and 1 point per level. Initial build is important as it will take quite some time to work up other areas.

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=1&p=1&e=1&

Nothing is out of reach even at the beginning of the game. You could max any of the seven stats but of course you'd be weak in other areas. Still, if you have a play style that is specific, you can really focus on a particular thing.

This thread shows how diverse the thinking is on initial perk builds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3 ... egathread/

I want relatively high charisma due to all of the chances to influence people in dialog.

Intelligence increases XP which is always a good thing but you could also take the "Idiot Savant" perk in the luck stat tree which gives you more bonus XP the lower your Intelligence is.

Lock smith (Percepion Rank 4) is something I want because I hate not being able to pick locks.

Gun Fu looks great but that's Agility Rank 10.

All I know is that early in the game you most likely will pick up a Charisma bobblehead that gives you +1 in that stat so you can somewhat count on an extra rank there. There are +1 bobbleheads for all of the stats eventually.

Example of a radical build and the thinking behind it:

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s= ... =1&a=9&l=8
Great synergies between those late agility and luck perks. This build is melee DD and would have; Loads of AP, Melee vats range increased, vats hits restore AP, AP regen, extra crit damage, loads of extra sneak damage, critical banking and Idiot Savant for xp gains. With +1A and +1L (afew levels later) you could then target multiple foes doing increased damage to extra targets refilling crit and AP bar whilst using vats.

Can increase damage resist with this build, plus could sprint loads, craft own gear (weapons n armour) and sneak. given the right choices this should be really powerful at low - med level (n then u get better anyway).
No way I could roll with a 1 charisma but it's an interesting build.

It's driving me nuts. There are a lot of cool build ideas and while you can eventually get everything, that's 100's of hours down the road. Lots of synergies, especially with VATS in Agility/Luck.

One advantage to playing a female might be the lady killer/black window Charisma: Rank 2 perk that adds additional damage and dialog persuasion vs the opposite sex. I figure there are more male NPCs than female in the game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My latest starting S.P.E.C.I.A.L. build (which seems to change hourly and I'm sure will again)

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s= ... =6&a=1&l=4

General idea behind the build is high Charisma for dialog and manipulating animals, creatures and eventually humans, building settlements and stores. High INT for faster XP and access to high-tech mods.

I won't comment on Rank one perks since everyone gets them.

STRENGTH: 3 (affects how much you can carry)

2 Big Leagues - Increase melee damage
3 Armorer - Access to armor mods

>3 not much I really want past rank 3

PERCEPTION: 3 (affects accuracy in VATS system)

2 Rifleman - various bonuses to non automatic rifles.
3 Awareness - allows you to see your opponent's damage resistances in VATS

>3 I hear first bobblehead you get is a Perception one so +1 will grant me Locksmith which I feel is a must for me

After that, there are some bonuses and resistance perks but nothing I feel is needed right away

ENDURANCE: 4 (Hit Points and Sprinting Action point drain rate)

2 Lead Belly - take less or no radiation from eating and drinking
3 Lifegiver - additional 20 hps per rank of this perk (which is = to 4 levels or Perception, 5 pts per level so each rank is a significant boost)
4 Chem Resistant - Less likely to become addicted to chem stims or total tolerance later on

>5 I really want 5 Aquaboy which prevents radiation damage while swimming/underwater and eventually grants 100 percent evade while submerged at higher rank. I'll be able to pick it up when needed being only one rank below. Some higher perks in Endurance seem nice like Cannibal (eat human flesh to heal), 9 Ghoulish - radiation actually regenerates health. 10 Solar Powered - Sunlight heals radiation and regens health.

CHARISMA: 7 (ability to charm)

2 Lady Killer/Black Widow - Men/Women suffer additional damage and are easier to influence (opposite sex of your char)
3 Lone Wanderer - Take less damage if don't have a companion with you
4 Attack Dog - A must. Your dog is really powerful and even more so if ranked up.
5 Animal Friend - point gun at animal lower rank than you, chance to pacify, turn on it's own pack, or command it, depending on the perk rank
6 Local Leader - A must. Required to build settlements, establish supply lines, build stores, etc. (big source of income)
7 Party Boy - No chance to get addicted to alcohol, bonus effects of alcohol increase as perk ranked up

>7 I want to get to rank 10. 8 Inspiration - Your companions do more damage and take less damage. 9 Wasteland Whisperer (same as animal friend but used on creatures) 10 Intimidation same as animal Friend but used on humans

Seems a no brainer to have Charisma at 6 but at minimum 4 with the huge benefit to the attack dog.

INTELLIGENCE: 6 (XP gain speed)

2 Medic - Stim Packs and RadAway heal more and more as you level this up
3 Gun Nut - Access to Gun Mods, probably a must.
4 Hacker - Ability to hack terminals. A must for me.
5 Scrapper - Ability to salvage uncommon and rare components
6 Science - Access to High Tech mods (good for self and for store business)

>6 7 Chemist (stim packs last longer and longer) 8 Robotics similar to animal friend for robots 9 Nuclear Physicist (bonuses to fusion and radiation weapons) 10 Nerd Rage (high damage resistance when low health)

AGILITY: 1 (Action Points)

Rank 1 is Gunslinger giving you various pistol bonus damage

Agility affects your Action Points so I'm a little nervous about it being 1 but can't have everything! The rest of this tree is all about resistances and damage bonuses to VATS

LUCK: 4 (possibly affects loot drop rate/quality and recharge rate of critical hits)

2 Scrounger - Find more ammo lying around
3 Bloody Mess - Bonus damage and chance enemy explodes
4 Mysterious Stranger - While in VATS, mysterious stranger sometimes shows up to help with "deadly efficiency"

>4 5 Idiot Savant gives bonus XP based on how low your Intelligence is. The rest of the luck tree has to do with Higher Criticals, damage, VATS.

----------------------

Once you dive into this perk system, it is not easy to come up with your starting distribution. Lots of give and take.

If you have no clue at all, probably going rank 4 across the board or close to that might be the way to go. There are 70 total perks so that alone would take 42 levels to reach (with 28 starting points) but each perk has 2-5 ranks which requires the point you get from leveling so can take another perk or level an existing one. 265 or more levels to max everything I think.

People seem to be liking the game quite a bit, ranking it up there with the Witcher 3 for GOTY candidate.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

annnnd I totally changed my starting SPECIALs.

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s= ... =1&a=5&l=7

S: 1 P: 4 E: 3 C: 7 I: 1 A: 5 L:7

This is sort of a Forrest Gump setup using Idiot Savant for the bonus XP and high charisma for getting by in the world while being dumb as a stump. Forrest also was lucky a lot so lots of points in Luck as well. Gump wouldn't be a 1 in Strength but you can't have everything!

If I keep this setup (which is bound to change again!) I'd be able to handle dialog and settlements very well, XP boost would come from Idiot Savant in(Luck 5 perk) which gives random 3X XP for any action that gives XP and eventually 5X XP with a higher chance the lower your Intelligence. Luck also increases better loot drop chances and boosts criticals (as do several perks in luck) along with VATS benefits.

------

Keep in mind about initial points placed in SPECIALS...they just unlocks the perks up to the highest ranks you choose. You still need to rank up the perks to gain the perk benefits. Those initial SPECIAL levels to affect HPS, Action Points, etc etc though. Each level you gain in Fallout 4 allows you to either rank up a perk or increase a SPECIAL to the next level so you're not stuck with your original setup. It does allow you to rank up those higher level perks though right away. You may want to consider how high you initially rank a SPECIAL determined by if you plan to put points into it early on. It's going to take you 29 levels just to gain the perks you already have at the start. Of course, some exceptions would be like Charisma that high rank helps right away with dialog choices, Luck for loot (maybe), Endurance for HPs, Perception for accuracy, Strength for weight you can carry, Agility Action point.

Keep in mind on Strength (that I have at 1) Your companion (including the dog for some reason) can carry a lot for you so they can be used as a pack mule. If you don't plan to Melee, you can get by with low STR.

I've already been highly entertained by Fallout 4 just researching and working on initial SPECIALs!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Pre-ordered this tonight on XBox One. It downloaded to my hard drive right after ordering ~28 GB. Ready for Nov 10th @ 12:01am!

Pre ordering gets you Free Fallout 3 but doubt I'll play it (Xbox One compatible version).
How are you enjoying that sad frame rate? You should have gotten the PS4 version!
But that's not the whole story. On top of this, Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps. Each has their blips, but having tested two separate Xbox One and PS4 consoles, the results are always the same across the world at large; we get sizeable stutters on Microsoft's console that aren't present on PS4.
Zero!

Things like this are the main reason nobody should buy a Bethesda game on day one. Wait 6 months or more for the patches.
On balance though, PS4 is in the better shape as terms of consistency across the game; it has nothing close to the stuttering seen on Xbox One, and a better frame-rate in big towns and cities as well. Xbox One has a repeatable advantage in the Deathclaw battle, where effects clash heavily, but in most scenarios we get matching, or superior results on PS4.
Well at least Tomb Raider runs better on XBO than PS4 (for now!) so you have that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The reason I haven't posted recently is because this game is awesome. Been playing it for two days straight and now I'm going to bed! Haven't noticed any issues with it on the Xbox One.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You'd probably be done with it by now if it wasn't for all that stuttering slowing down the action!

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I've not had any issues with it on PC. The only "issue" is that right now there is no SLI profile...but that's a minor issue for a game with such a dated graphics engine, as it runs fine on a single GTX670 @ 2560x1440, AA off, all else high/ultra.

So yeah, PC master race, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:I've not had any issues with it on PC. The only "issue" is that right now there is no SLI profile...but that's a minor issue for a game with such a dated graphics engine, as it runs fine on a single GTX670 @ 2560x1440, AA off, all else high/ultra.

So yeah, PC master race, etc.
/cue Batman: Arkham Knight

<laugh>

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

bought the PS4 batman edition, so not sure where the laugh is...

OK, I know...but I buy all controller dependant games for console...and the really fun ones with modable awesomeness, for PC. You really can't own only one gaming available device anymore.

But moddable...so still pc master race!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:bought the PS4 batman edition, so not sure where the laugh is...
The laugh was for "PC master race", obviously, since not all games are better on PC. Whether you bought that particular game on a console isn't the point!

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

yeah, I was being sarcastic. Its hard in type form.

but back to fallout 4...I just can't see buying it on console, as you give up on the other half of the game, the modding community. That's a huge value to a game, and why PC is still best. Will always be best, because they pack the minimum in these consoles, so people can actually afford them, so I totally get it, but to me you miss out on too much due to the walled garden that is the console system.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:but back to fallout 4...I just can't see buying it on console, as you give up on the other half of the game, the modding community. That's a huge value to a game, and why PC is still best. Will always be best, because they pack the minimum in these consoles, so people can actually afford them, so I totally get it, but to me you miss out on too much due to the walled garden that is the console system.
Consoles will get mods for Fallout 4... Maybe not all, since I'm not sure how it works, but I'm sure the better ones will make it.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Modding has never mattered to me; it seems most people that care about it are the types that were still playing skyrim when fallout was released. Most games I play through once and then move on; there are just too many good games to play to stick with one for that long (mmo's aside).
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I bought it through Green Man Gaming. 1 - it was cheaper than the console version. 2 - I found a 20% discount code for Green Man Gaming. 3 - It's a Steam code.

With tax, it was about 17$ cheaper than the before tax Xbox One price.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:I bought it through Green Man Gaming. 1 - it was cheaper than the console version. 2 - I found a 20% discount code for Green Man Gaming. 3 - It's a Steam code.

With tax, it was about 17$ cheaper than the before tax Xbox One price.
It's OK. You made the right decision. The order to buy this game is PC>PS4>Gameboy Advance<Xbox One.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fallout 4 is Unacceptable on PC

Disclaimer: I haven't read the article! But I'm sure it's at least half true. People need to stop giving Bethesda a pass on their broken shit.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The stuff PC gamers complain about sometimes cracks me up. OMG IT'S LOCKED AT 60FPS, THIS IS ENTIRELY UNACCEPTABLE. Yeah, except for it is, end of discussion. Also, the person writing the article posits that PC users tend to be sitting close to a smaller monitor, which is false. I use my tv (60" currently) for my computer monitor as well, and while I do sometimes sit close to it I generally don't.

On the whole though I agree, people give Bethesda a pass and I'm not sure why. While Fallout 4 isn't a bad game, there are many things that could and should have been improved considerably for a game of this scale.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Were there problems with Fallout 3 as well? If there were, I guess 12 million day one buyers of Fallout 4 didn't give a shit. You can probably figure that Bethesda gets a pass because their games, even with flaws, are better than everyone else save a very select few (Mass Effect, etc).

Anyone else putting out trash games getting 750 Million day one bucks? Add another 1.8 Million digital sales to that. (+100 Milllion)

So what can we compare Fallout 4 to...hmm lets see:
On Steam, Fallout 4 was the top-played game at launch, at one time reaching over 470,000 concurrent players, leapfrogging a previous record held by Grand Theft Auto V. Fallout 4 set a new record to become the most-viewed game launch for any new game released so far this year.
Record breaking suckage! 470,000 people playing that unacceptable game on PC at the same time.
By comparison, the last game from Bethesda Game Studios,--2011's The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim--shipped 7 million copies in 48 hours to retailers and sold through 3.5 million to consumers during that period. As of January 2014, the game had sold through to consumers 20 million copies worldwide.
Wow this company must be going downhill. Only 7 million Skyrim copies sold in 48 hours compared to 12 million Fallout 4 copies in 24 hours. Their next game will probably suck worse. This is horrible.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Don't be a dumbo. When it's day one sales nobody knows how bad it is or isn't. Sales numbers mean shit in regards to how good a game is. Your whole post is rendered moot due to how irrelevant it is!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Don't be a dumbo. When it's day one sales nobody knows how bad it is or isn't. Sales numbers mean shit in regards to how good a game is. Your whole post is rendered moot due to how irrelevant it is!
Yeah, looks like there were a ton of people holding out to see if it would be ok because Fallout 3 sucked so bad. :roll:

Get back to me if there is some cataclysmic drop in sales and they don't pass 20 million units sold. And then impress me with those eventual 4 million uncharted sales sometime next year when it's released which will be less than Halo 5.
Halo 5: Guardians has sold more than $400 million in its first week on the market, setting new records according to video game publisher Microsoft.

That pushes the lifetime sales of the Halo series to more than $5 billion. It is means that Halo 5 (check out our review of the game) has the highest week-one attach rate for any Xbox One game so far (that is, it has the highest percentage of console owners purchasing the game for any Xbox One title to date). These are great numbers, and they should help Microsoft in its constant battle with Sony to make the Xbox One game console as popular as the PlayStation 4.

Microsoft didn’t say exactly how many copies it sold. But based on a $60 retail price, the number could be over 6.6 million sold so far
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Its one reason I hate preorders on PC, there's no incentive to do well for the publisher to produce a perfect product. They can just patch it, or let the modders fix it, etc.

I read the article, its a lot of truths, but its a lot of complaining too. The biggest complaint I have is that Bethesda doesn't give you the option to turn off their terrible mouse acceleration, that is terrible in every game they have ever produced. Now, that's not enough for me to write an article with the click bait title of "unacceptable". I'm totally cool with the game as it was released, with the expectation that Bethesda, modders, and nvidia will correct the issues I have with it (none of which prevent me from playing/enjoying the game).
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've always enjoyed Bethesda Jank. They have around 100 people making their games and there's nothing else like them out there. Granted, I have never had a game breaking bug in any of their games before either. That would likely sour me!

Fallout 4 is fun. The beginning was pretty rushed, there are no real tutorials for anything (not even VATS, wtf?!?), but as a long time lover of the series I did not require a long drawn out origin story and I already know how to play the game. I would think a newcomer would be pretty overwhelmed though. Environments look good on PS4, but up close textures look a little rough. As always, Bethesda Face is real on all the character models. No worries. The game is super fun and that's all that matters to me at the end of the day. I knew exactly what I was getting into and it's just what I wanted.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A rather nasty, game-breaking bug in Fallout 4 underlines why you should never delete any save files in a Bethesda Softworks role-playing game if you can ever help it. Don't be like me, girls and boys. I just lost 25 hours' worth of progress.

The bug: It's possible to develop permanently blurred vision, akin to the view (first- or third-person) when you have taken a critical hit to the head, until you heal it with a Stimpak.
If that sort of jank is enjoyable... have at it!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Playstation Network down! Must be why you have time to complain about these little things!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Almost lost an hour last night to a stuck NPC in a quest. Reloaded a safe twice and on the 2nd load, he went to where he was supposed to.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Patch is out that improves performance on both consoles. PS4 gets the better end of the deal though.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Wrapped up 3 out of 4 of the main story branches through selective loading and playthroughs.
Only one I'm missing is the Railroad. Overall all of them have very cool elements that are worth experiencing.

Overall a pretty great game.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

About the same place I'm at, I've got one quest left for the minutemen and I'm done with all the faction stuff. I haven't played in the last week really though, kinda losing interest.