Marvel Heroes

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Marvel Heroes

Post by Winnow »

I've had a beta account for this game for awhile. I was so disappointed a month or so ago that I only played it for like 30 mins and hadn't tried it again until today.

It's still a huge disappointment but if you treat it like a free to play online version of Ultimate Alliance, you might enjoy it a little.

The controls are wonky. It's a point and click to move type game. not even wasd. fixed 3rd person perspective (can't rotate camera).

There's about 20 playable Marvel characters right now. I tried out The Thing for a few minutes but after the tutorial, I went with Scarlet Witch because I like the ranged attacks.

No character customization except for a few skins but it has Diablo type loot drops, some crafting, etc, skill trees.

It will be free to play when it comes out in June and won't be worth more than that, but might be fun for those that liked Ultimate Alliance.

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Marvel Heroes

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I played this at PAX and it was shit. If I could get the entire game with all heroes I wouldn't pay more than 20$. They wanted 200$. I laughed. The game doesn't even support triple monitors.

It's just wasted potential. I'd rather replay MUA 1/2 on Xbox.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I played this at PAX and it was shit. If I could get the entire game with all heroes I wouldn't pay more than 20$. They wanted 200$. I laughed. The game doesn't even support triple monitors.

It's just wasted potential. I'd rather replay MUA 1/2 on Xbox.
It's free to play and additional characters can drop as loot. I wouldn't spend money on the game but for free, there is a little bit of entertainment you can squeeze out of it, although the movement and camera controls are frustrating.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:It's free to play and additional characters can drop as loot. I wouldn't spend money on the game but for free, there is a little bit of entertainment you can squeeze out of it, although the movement and camera controls are frustrating.
The token system is a fucking disaster really. You need to read up on the details. It's so complicated, I cannot explain it simply. Their take on FTP is certainly interesting though.

But you're right. Playing through the game for free with the 5(?) select characters you get for free should be a fun few days distraction. Who knows, the game might grow on you!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You're not stuck with the 5 players you start with even if you don't want to buy other characters. Additional characters/heroes can drop as loot.

That may change but in the beta I've gotten character drops as loot.

The play styles are quite a bit different between heroes so it's worthwhile to try out a few before deciding you like or hate the game. Scarlet Witch is ranges and also AOE, also has debuffs. Pretty fun to play. the armor drops also play a big part in boosting effectiveness of powers. I have a couple purple drops.

I'll be playing a little tonight to try and level up a bit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My opinion of this game is improving each time I play it. It has a Diablo/Champions of Norrath feel to it. The loot drops are plentiful and it has a Borderlands type feel to it where you compare the drops a lot to tailor your character to how you want it.

I gained a "flying" ability which does help with movement although I don't use it much. I've gotten used to the click to move. It still sucks compare to WASD.

I've been soloing bosses. They are challenging. A couple kick my ass and I'll need a group but for most of them I'm doing OK solo.

Scarlet Witch has an AOE Burn Hex that melts mobs down quick. I keep the skill maxed and on top of that, every equipment drop that enhances that skill I use. I've doubled the level that skill should be at my current level.

One of the bosses drops a medallion that heals you 45 hps every time you kill a mob. I've decked out HP regeneration items, and with the crazy AOE SW has, I can sit in one spot and keep casting it right on top of myself and any melee that attacks me drops fast while my hps remain maxed with all the kills. I'm thinking Scarlet Witch might be overpowered a bit.

The game is set up so kill stealing isn't an issue so having other heroes around just adds to the fun.

People who like diablo type games will like this if they give it a chance. It took me a couple hours to start to like it. The tutorial doesn't really motivate you to play and you need to discover crafting, etc a little later.

Once you get a few skills beyond the basic ones your hero starts with and start getting used to the stats on the armor/weapon drops you want to focus on, it gets addicting.

It will be worth trying/playing for free when it comes out with whatever character you choose to start with.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

https://marvelheroes.com/

If you are a fan of diablo type games, and also like Marvel characters, it's time to revisit this game.

I hadn't played since my last post on this thread which I think was still beta (April 2013).

Best f2p game model ever. You can pick any of 12 starting heroes free to begin with and level all of them up to 10 if you feel like it before unlocking your favorite to go on to level 60+/

Of the 12 heroes, Storm is the most capable end-game hero that holds up over all levels (Monster AOE attacks) but a couple others (actually all of them) are capable.

If you like one of those characters, you don't have to pay a dime and have a hell of a lot of fun. Also, there are daily log in rewards, the second day, you are given enough in-game currency to pretty much "buy" any of the around 50 heroes in the game for no actual cost to you so you can pretty much play any character in the game you wish for free.

Every hero has different powers/play styles so there's plenty to try out. There's also plenty to keep you busy.

You can take each character through the story mode three times (easy, medium, hard) and collect power points, etc each time. There are tons of missions you can do after (even before) you complete the first pass through of the story campaign.

As with Diablo, the game certainly makes you feel powerful with massive chaos on the screen caused by your powers.Loot drops are ridiculous with constant drops that have various stats, etc. You can also level up Team-Up heroes (say if you want to (solo) play with Spider-Man, Majik, She-Hulk Agent Coulson, etc) There's pets (some actually useful) There's something like around 10-15 in game currency types you can farm to upgrade or get various weapons. Excellent crafting/enchanting system. There's multiple power trees and other skill trees to improve your hero.

Money made from the game is primarily on alternate costumes you can buy if you like, or picking up additional heroes (around $10) if you want to expand and try other ones. It's possible to pick up new heroes in the game as well with in game currency but it would take awhile. Can also use less in game currency to get a random hero. (for example, with the second day free log-n gift you could choose to get 2 random heroes instead of pick a single one)

Anyway, this game is very actively developed. New heroes introduced monthly. Events, new game modes, etc. Most of the heroes have multiple builds you can play them as, (depending on where you place your power points) so even a single character remains interesting for a long time, much less 50 others to try out (including one of your choosing and random ones you can pick up for free)

Thumbs up.

ImageImageImageImage

Example of the various costumes.

Loot drops like mad but, as with Diablo type games, you need to make decisions

All of the Guardian of the Galaxy character are playable (except the female so far)

List of playable Heroes so far:

https://marvelheroes.com/heroes/list

Up next:

Vision, Dr Doom, Kitty Pryde (with Lockheed) She Hulk

Hope Kitty Pryde ends up well. Her phase powers could be cool.

Initial download is long (50+ patches) but after game is installed, load times are very quick wherever you go in the game. Solid, play whenever you feel like it 15 mins to all day type of a game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've been playing quite a bit of Marvel Heroes. I own 47 out of 48 heroes (don't have Winter Soldier)

few characters I've leveled up:

ImageImageImage

STORM

One of the starter characters and all you really ever need to have fun in this game. She's fun to play, and powerful leveling and also excellent in the end-game. You could stop right there and pay zero for this game. Great AOE powers. Can wipe a room clean of bad guys quickly

SILVER SURFER

Solid AOE but also great movement damage powers. The Power Cosmic is pretty bad-ass and his surfboard creates some great visuals as he zooms around. Also considered a tier II (right behind the top tier) hero.

ImageImageImage

THOR

Almost but not quite top tier. Pretty unstoppable with power of hammer along with lightening powers.

ImageImageImage

X-23

Generally considered more fun to play than Wolverine ATM (although that can change with hero reviews) Stack up the bleeding damage. A little squishy, low tier hero but can rack up the brute/bleed damage. Free travel power which is nice.

ImageImageImage

ROGUE

is cool in that she can walk up to heroes or villains and steal their powers in the game so she has a ton of ways to be played. I need to get back to her after I've played a few more heroes as she takes a little more thought to but together her power sets.

ImageImage

ICEMAN

Top tier hero. He does massive damage when played as a summoner with three Ice Golem thingies

GHOST RIDER

Another B list hero in the comics that is bad-ass in Marvel Heroes. With the way the hero reviews go in the game, don't expect the same power levels of some heroes in the game as you would think. (although Hawkeye sucks as expected!)

Nice new costume released for Invisible Woman. She had sucked for awhile but now is a solid/fun choice due to the developers paying attention to their fan base.

ImageImage

Hulkbuster and Vision new costumes from Age of Ultron

The best thing about this game is that the developers are extremely active. They are constantly putting older heroes that have been in the game through "QoL" Quality of Life reviews and improving their powers, costumes, etc. Each hero has their own three skill trees with multiple configurations to play them in.

Scarlet Witch is the next hero I'll be playing. She's one of my long time favorite characters and is getting a mini review/update with the release of Age of Ultron. I already picked up all the AoU costumes. I'm messing around with Iron Man in his Hulkbuster outfit (best looking costume in the game IMO) while they have +50% bonus XP for Avengers leading up the the movie release. Vision is being release the day of the movie. I already own him as well and he's another long time favorite of mine so I'll be giving him a go as well.

This game is highly underrated. It's not massive in scope (zones, etc) but the ability to play each character in two if not three different play styles and and 48 (and growing about one a month) heroes with totally different powers to screw around with, makes it a lot of fun. Loot drops like made (ala diablo/borderlands) so leveling up each heroes is fun and interesting while keeping you busy with sorting loot values to build up your characters. Omega points, and like 6-8 other loot currencies combined with synergies you can use between heroes you've leveled is all good stuff.

Worth trying out. Also the starter heroes right now are the Avengers so you can play any of them up to level 10 to get a feel for the game and then pick the one you like best to move on (as well as buy any other heroes for free the second day you log in with in game currency without paying a dime. Great F2P model, great support, highly active community. Another game you can play 15 minutes or 15 hours straight and have fun either way. Also, once you go through the campaign once. You don't need to go through the campaigns again if you don't feel like it to level up other heroes. You can jump right into the one of the level restricted group zones and power level up heroes with boss villains constantly spawning. The developers have something interesting going on every week.

BTW, Captain America is the most powerful hero in Marvel Heroes 2015 right now. Venom, Juggernaut and Iceman are the other top tier Heroes but there are plenty right behind them in the next tier and in the end, it's about fun, not about your damage per second.

All the heroes you can currently play. I own all but one because I bought a mega-pack on sale, otherwise I wouldn't have that many.

Forums are active:

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/

Marvel Heroes Item Base is great place the check out various hero builds.

http://marvelheroes.info/

Lots of different heroes with lots of different play styles. Ranged, Melee, Movement, Hybrid attack styles.

Want to steamroll and never die? Play the Juggernaut bitch!

Want to sit back and clean house AOE style? Flame On! (Or Storm or Jean Grey)

It pays to do a little research. Spider-Man is one of the weaker Heroes atm in the game while Venom is the most powerful (along with Cap). So the biggest name heroes aren't necessarily the best.

ImageImage

Want a sucky hero? Suck in style with a casual variant style outfit! Or play him as a woman! (actually Hawkeye just got update in the past two days and while not the best, is decent)

ImageImageImage

Don't choose by what people consider power tiers though. Every character is very playable including the Squirel Girls, She-Hulks and Rocket Racoons. Some of the most powerful heroes in the game may not fit your play style while some of the "less worthy" TTK (time to kill) rated heroes can be a blast.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

ImageImage

I have a lot of fun in Marvel Heroes. The developers are constantly tweaking existing characters and introducing new ones.

Ant-Man will be release next week to coincide with the movie release. Yet another character to play with their own set of unique powers and items. Unlike a regular MMO, there are many more characters to play around with in Marvel Heroes with deep lore from the comics. They released the Vision during Age of Ultron and also release new costumes for all the Avenger characters. The developers do a great job of creating events around the Marvel movies released as well.

Ant-Man will be the 49th playable hero. I own 47 of the 48 current heroes (Dr Doom I haven't picked up yet) and will grab Ant-Man when he's released.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Each has been fun with different play styles. So far the Heroes I've played to 60:

Invisible Women: Crushing Force Build.
Nightcrawler: Teleport Build
Ice Man: Summoner Build.
Emma Frost: Mental Build
Scarlet Witch: AOE Build
Silver Surfer: Movement Build.

Fun game for long or short play times.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hulk vs Wolverine
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Finally earned Agent Coulson Team-Up. Can't buy him. Have to earn Omega Access S.H.I.E.L.D. files. Still having fun in this game.

ImageImageImageImage
Jean Grey is the latest character I've leveled to 60. Leveled up Doctor Doom, Ms Marvel and Rocket Racoon before her. I have ten 60's now. All fun and different play styles.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

ImageImage

This is a great game to come back to once in awhile. Magik and Kitty Pryde are the most recent heroes I've leveled up.

I log into this game almost every day, even when I don't play it to gain the daily award/gift. Today (day 200) I received a free Wolverine Team Up character but mostly you get various booster items, XP orbs, Unique Items, Eternity Splinters, etc. I store these up for when I do play. When I started Kitty Pryde, I popped some XP orbs I had saved and went from level 1-15 without taking a step. (Would only take you about 15-20 minutes anyway!)

The F2P model in this game is the best I've ever seen. As you play, you earn Eternity Splinters which can be used to purchased additional heroes and team-up characters. I had enough stored up to buy Kitty and Magik and still have enough for another hero with more gained every 8 minutes of play time. You really can play this game with zero penalties for free if you wish. Gazillion makes their money off XP boosts for the impatient (you can also get these free in game as well earning shards) and on costumes.

I've happily given Gazillion a chunk of money to pick up the mega pack of 40 heroes for 70% off plus warehouse stashes for each. I've also bought a few costumes here and there so their system works well.

Still highly recommend this game if you like diablo "loot explosion/stats" type games and are a fan of the Marvel Universe. They average about 1 new hero release a month, along with some new team-ups, and are extremely active in updating old heroes to keep them relevant, updating artwork if needed, and weekly patches that always have something new. The developers constantly have various events going. For Thanksgiving they are running three of their events at the same time, douple xp, various currency drops for items, etc. Each hero you level to 60 increases the XP earned for your next one. Without any additional XP boosts, I have %135 XP gained so more than double the speed to level up additional characters.

At level 60 which you can actually do in a day, the game has so much to seek out. Artifacts, Unique Items, Omega Points (can use 7500 of them to enhance your character) There are also ways to unbind most things from your hero if it turns out you'd like to use them on a new Hero you're playing. If you're really a fan of a particular Hero, you can re-level them up 5 times, each time the color of their name changes (character name white if not prestiged, green first re-level, blue 2nd, purple 3rd, red 4th) If you are nuts, you can re-lvel a 5th time to get Cosmic yellow name but that takes 5 times the XP of a normal level) Your prestige level shows in chat so it's a nice way to see who might be dedicated or know what they're talking about when asking for advice.

For the record, all my characters are one time 60 leveled. Since I own something like 48 out of the 51 heroes, I typically would rather level up a new character. When farming for drops, there are particular heroes that do it well (Cosmic Runs). Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde are the ones I'd currently use to melt mobs quickly to farm artifacts, etc.

Since you won't really keep any item below level 60, you can have some fun leveling up. For example, with Magik, I used three growth abilities to make her a giant. Used Henry Pym's growth serum, put 1 Omega point in Pyms growth, and enhanced her costume with a growth visual so I has the size of Hulk running around.

There are achievements galore to work on.

I'd also mention that teleport skill really helps fly though areas fast. Kitty, Magik, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Doom and a few others have this ability.
[Show]

Also, each hero has their own power trees with three distinct areas. Magiks is posted above as an example. I'm playing her primarily as a melee but could also play her as a summoner or use her sorcery tree. You can play as hybrid of them as well. Most of my points are in Soulsword but I have a skill or two in Limo and Magic (her signature skill is in that tree)

As you can see, along with all of the power options you have, each unique item has assloads of stats that are random rolled (one above shows 100% max roll which you will never get) so each unique drop you can compare to see if it's better than what you have. There are 5 unique armor slots per character as well as 4 artifact slots. Also rings, medallions, relics, legendary, runeword slots that all have similar crazy stats to work on. Along with that there are 100's of skills, abilities, etc you can spend Omega Points on to enhance your character as well as traditiona 6 stats like Durability, Strength, Fighting, Speed, Energy and Intelligence. Beside drops you can craft stuff as well for some things.

The game is pretty amazing with the options you have and the diablo style massive loot drops for fine tuning gear, etc. Besides the story mode levels, various difficulty terminals, multiplayer areas Midtown Manhattan and Industry city where you roam around with other Heroes taking down villains, they add new things constantly. Next week they are adding the Danger Room (X-Men fans know what that is) There are also some Raid areas. Test area, Holo Sim (where you can face off against wave after wave of random mobs to test your skills), crafting, etc.

Another thing to mention is Gazillion are very cool about power points. There is no penalty to reset your character's skill points for powers so if you want to switch you can. If fact, you can save the different power skill sheets to easily switch between (keep in mind your equipped items will need to be swapped to optimize them for your new skills so those would be in your storage) Also, Gazillion is extremely generous on XP boost potions, etc. Your boost timer only runs while in a XP zone so if you are sitting at a hub (like avengers mansion) your timer stops so a 2 hours XP boosts last you a long time as long as you port back to a hub while sorting loot, stats, powers etc).

Anyway. Only a few games stand the test of time and get things right. Gazillion with Marvel Heroes deserves recognition for figuring it out. They took a year to figure it out. In 2013 I played the beta for a few hours and dismissed it. A year later, after massive changes from player input, it keeps getting better and better. Maybe not an every day game but an excellent game in spurts.

Edit:

If you're interested in how skills/powers work, this video is about 40 mins long going over just Magik's powers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KaZhB00mEo

Pretty amazing that it's only one of 50+ heroes, all being different. It will give you an idea of at least skills. Unique, Artifacts, etc etc aren't covered. The guy made this video on the test server so there are some bugs pre-release.

Also if you want an idea of what Omega Points are all about, here's an overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbDqDJU88U