The Walking Dead (PC)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

The Walking Dead (PC)

Post by Canelek »

Downloaded Episode 1 from Steam. There will be 5 total I think, released monthly.

The first episode is pretty fun--it is a point/click throwback puzzle/adventure game. Great story!! Took about 1.5-2 hours to play through. Had a good time with it and look forward to next month's episode! I think there is a bundle deal where you can pre-pay for the lot.

http://www.thewalkingdeadgame.com
en kærlighed småkager
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: The Walking Dead (PC)

Post by Hesten »

I enjoyed it a lot, couldn't put it down after i started it.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Finished Episode One of Walking Dead Game.

I found it entertaining as an interactive story. When they showed the percentage of people that chose the patch I did, I was surprised at some of the results. I was in the minority of over half of the choices. Not by much, some of the choices were close to 50/50 with all that had played.

Impressive at how far along in the story your choices have impact on.

Here are my choices so far: (don't view these if you haven't played. Won't make sense and will spoil)
[Show]
Was honest to Hershel
Saved Duck over Shawn
Sided with Kenny
Gave Irene the Gun
Saved Carly over Doug (of course!)
Looking forward to the next 4 chapters. Just started episode 2. As with the TV series, looks like some new people added, and lots of fleshing out of the current characters. I'm going to keep my eye out for more games designed like this. I like the presentation.

Edit: now that all 5 episodes of Season One are out, there might be some sort of Season One deal soon. I actually got the full 5 Season One episodes all at once on the Mac (OSX not iOS)

Here's the similar games from Telltale Games:

https://www.telltalegames.com/games
Last edited by Winnow on November 23, 2012, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This is on consoles too!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Finished Episode 3!

The game isn't predicable. People dying left and right. Some serious consequences to the story, at least for a single episode, and sometimes more depending on your decisions. Had some slight irritation with the puzzles in episode 3 but the story was intense. I'm going to want to play through at least one more time to make some different choices. I'm not making extra saves so am living with my first picks. You don't have much time to consider the options in some parts.

Solid story. They stretched out episode 3 a bit with some puzzle stuff but a ton of stuff also happened. I'd say about 2 hours or so per episode. A little longer for me because I take my time to enjoy the scenery and go through all dialogue.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I finished episode 4.
That's when your decisions have a LOT of impact, about how episode 5 is going to go.
[Show]
You get X number of people with you, depending on earlier actions, I am one of the 6% who is going solo on episode 5 :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've planned on grabbing this on my ipad when I see a good sale. I've heard nothing but good about it and it's even trending high on many people's GOTY list, which is a pretty amazing accomplishment for an adventure game.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aside from some repetition in dialogue, it is really a great story so far.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:I finished episode 4.
That's when your decisions have a LOT of impact, about how episode 5 is going to go.
[Show]
You get X number of people with you, depending on earlier actions, I am one of the 6% who is going solo on episode 5 :)
Yeah, finished episode 4 last night. Viewing the choices made at the end of the episode, I was in some pretty small percentage groups that picked certain things.

big spoiler if haven't finished episode 4:
[Show]
I chose to hide my bite. I figure I'm (as the main character) going to die anyway, so I want as much help as possible finding Clementine before I die so maybe she gets away safe. As far as I know, there's no chance of surviving a bite.
This is an excellent story/game. I wonder how they'll handle Season two since so much chaos happens in the game so you're never sure who will be there at the end. It might actually be nice if each season deals with a separate group of survivors so they can go crazy again with the big decisions.

I'm going to play episode 5 later today.

BTW, I hate that they preview the next episode at the end of each episode. Just like the regular TV series, I don't want to know anything about the next episode before I play it. Gotta exit out before that plays! (also hated when Battlestar Gallactica flashed scenes from the entire episode during the opening credits. Why?)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Agreed on the previews, although I like that they make this like a serial TV show (which essentially it is). Had to start over due to a recent PC rebuild. On Episode 3. This blows away anything Lucas Arts ever did for the genre.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jeeze, kind of a downer last episode! Can't wait for Season Two!

I'm curious about how far they take the decisions in the game. It seems possible someone that left in episode three could have made it all the way to the end. They put a lot of effort into alternate possibilities.

I think I'll be playing through at least one more time to see how the story is impacted by alternate choices.

Either way, the game is excellent and certainly makes you feel like your choices have meaning. Great 10 hour interactive movie.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Just starting s1e5. Tough to stop playing! And again referencing Lucas Arts, it is nice to not have to play mobletypeg(sp) Ala Full Throttle. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

[Show]
WTF ARMCHOP!!!! That was intense. Never needed to seriously consider options in a video game before now...not that there is time!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spike VGA 2012 winners: Walking Dead takes GOTY, Journey floats away with a few awards

This year's Spike Video Game Awards just concluded and in between the Samuel L. Jackson skits and Black Ops 2 commercials, some awards were given to this year's standouts. The Walking Dead won a few, shuffling away from VGA 2012 with the Game of the Year award and Best Downloadable Game, Best Adapted Game. Telltale Games also won Studio of the Year.

Journey had the most nominations this year and won Best PS3 Game, Best Original Score and Best Independent Game. Best Xbox 360 Game went to Halo 4, while Best PC Game went to XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game of the Year - The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)
Studio of the Year - Telltale Games
Best Xbox 360 Game - Halo 4 (Microsoft Studios/343 Industries)
Best PS3 Game - Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment/thatgamecompany)
Best Wii / Wii-U Game - New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
Best PC Game - XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2K Games/Firaxis Games)
Best Handheld / Mobile Game -Sound Shapes (Sony Computer Entertainment/Queasy Games)
Best Shooter - Borderlands 2 (2K Games/Gearbox Software)
Best Action Adventure Game - Dishonored (Bethesda Softworks/Arkane Studios)
Best RPG - Mass Effect 3 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
Best Multi-Player Game - Borderlands 2 (2K Games/Gearbox Software)
Best Individual Sports Game - SSX (Electronic Arts/EA Canada)
Best Team Sports Game - NBA 2K13 (2K Sports/Visual Concepts)
Best Driving Game - Need For Speed Most Wanted (Electronic Arts/Criterion Games)
Best Fighting Game - Persona 4 Arena (Atlus/ARC System Works/Atlus)
Best Adapted Video Game - The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)
Best Independent Game - Journey (thatgamecompany)
Best Graphics - Halo 4 (Microsoft Studios/343 Industries)
Best Song in a Game - "Cities" by Beck (Sound Shapes)
Best Original Score - Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment/thatgamecompany)
Best Performance By a Human Male - Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack (Borderlands 2)
Best Performance By a Human Female - Melissa Hutchison as Clementine (The Walking Dead: The Game)
Best Downloadable Game - The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)
Best Social Game - You Don't Know Jack (Jellyvision Games)
Best DLC - Dawnguard ? The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
Most Anticipated Game - Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
I'm missing this game. Can't wait for Season Two! The more I think about it, the better this game ranks overall in games I've played.

Well deserved!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Digital Trends: Walking Dead Game of the Year

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/dig ... 2-winners/

Another list of top games in various PC gaming genres with Walking Dead topping them all.
Game of the Year

The Walking Dead, Season 1

And finally we come to our game of the year. There was a great deal of discussion over this category. We all had our favorites, not to mention our personal biases, but when all was said and done there was no question that The Walking Dead deserved the honors. You can justifiably criticize several aspects of what you could call a fairly simple game – at least in terms of gameplay – but the fact remains that no game moved us as much this year, no game had us talking more, and no game made as deep a mark on the future of the industry as The Walking Dead. It is a masterpiece of gaming, and something that will be remembered for years to come.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Episode 1 of Walking Dead (game) is free for the next week for iOS devices.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gra ... ee-on-ios/

If you like it, you can then get episodes 2-5 bundled for $15.00 in the app store. Not a bad price for the Game of the Year.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:Episode 1 of Walking Dead (game) is free for the next week for iOS devices.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gra ... ee-on-ios/

If you like it, you can then get episodes 2-5 bundled for $15.00 in the app store. Not a bad price for the Game of the Year.

Walking Dead Episode One is free for a few days on Xbox Live as well.

Complete Season One on sale for 800 Live thingies:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/28/the-w ... blm-today/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This is the highest ranked game ever on PS3 on Metacritic if you take the User score combined with the Review Critic Scores.

It's the hightest User rated game ever on the PS3 and 7th highest all time if you just take the finicky "pro" reviews. What are you waiting for?

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/ ... =condensed
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just started episode 4 on my iPad. It's pretty entertaining but the gameplay is pretty much non existant.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I just started episode 4 on my iPad. It's pretty entertaining but the gameplay is pretty much non existant.
It's all about the story and decisions.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

***spoiler alert spoiler alert spoiler alert***

Here is a developer talking about the Walking Dead and provides some videotaped reactions to some scenes in the game. This will ruin the game for anyone that hasn't played it so this is mostly for those that have played it already.

http://youtu.be/S4jzP_BtPF0?t=12m45s

The presentation is 20 minutes long. I skipped to the part that shows the reactions. Watch about 5 minutes from that point on to see reactions to two different scenes.

***spoiler alert spoiler alert spoiler alert***

see below

Grats. You just ruined your opportunity to really enjoy the game if you watched that video before playing. Your loss! GOTY
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It was enjoyable, but not goty material for me personally.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:It was enjoyable, but not goty material for me personally.
GOTY for me because it was something new and I remained captivated by the story the entire time. I can't say that about many games last year. I tend to favor games that arent (insert series, 2, 3, 4) and rather give more credit to new things. Walking Dead Season2 has no chance to be GOTY for me.

What's your GOTY? That Panda expansion?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Meh, I got bored and didn't even finish the first episode. I might give it another shot, but not sure
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:It was enjoyable, but not goty material for me personally.
GOTY for me because it was something new and I remained captivated by the story the entire time. I can't say that about many games last year. I tend to favor games that arent (insert series, 2, 3, 4) and rather give more credit to new things. Walking Dead Season2 has no chance to be GOTY for me.

What's your GOTY? That Panda expansion?
I guess I just like more gaming with my game. At the end of the day, The Walking Dead was little more than a choose your own adventure.

And Funk, it took until the second episode for me to get interested.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

This was definitely not GOTY. It was a solid game, but I still think Day of the Tentacle or Maniac Mansion were better. There was a very finite things you could do, and not much else. Don't get me wrong, the story is great, and the outcomes are terrific. But, there was no real challenge to it. Walk around clicking on circles. Use items when the person you with is blatantly telling you to, instead of figuring it out. Chew through some narrative, instead of a boss encounter, make hard decision.

The price point is pretty good for this game, and I loved the idea behind it. It was basically playing a book, which might have been the point, however, I cherish challenge and game play (which was fucking horrid, btw) as much as story. The greatest challenge that I had was controlling the mouse pointer during the few twitch encounters sprinkled throughout the game.

Mass Effect 3 was night and day better. Also helped that I went full renegade, so the ending was quite satisfying for me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

GOTY

If you are talking technical specs, not GOTY. Didn't really care much about that when I was playing it. I was too busy enjoying the game.

ME III was OK...ME 2 was better.

ME 1 was GOTY and that was worse than the other two. I like seeing new things. I don't really care if something is technically better if it's been done before. I already appreciate those games. Borderlands 2 would have been GOTY but the original Borderlands already was GOTY for me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zamtuk wrote:This was definitely not GOTY. It was a solid game, but I still think Day of the Tentacle or Maniac Mansion were better. There was a very finite things you could do, and not much else. Don't get me wrong, the story is great, and the outcomes are terrific. But, there was no real challenge to it. Walk around clicking on circles. Use items when the person you with is blatantly telling you to, instead of figuring it out. Chew through some narrative, instead of a boss encounter, make hard decision.

The price point is pretty good for this game, and I loved the idea behind it. It was basically playing a book, which might have been the point, however, I cherish challenge and game play (which was fucking horrid, btw) as much as story. The greatest challenge that I had was controlling the mouse pointer during the few twitch encounters sprinkled throughout the game.

Mass Effect 3 was night and day better. Also helped that I went full renegade, so the ending was quite satisfying for me.
:vv_yeahthat:
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Season 2, Episode 1 is now available. Just played through it (~2 hours) and it was as good, if not better than the first season in terms of direction, game play, graphics and story.

So, at the very least, it is as good as the first season. The story carries over from (your choice) of locally saved games from season 1. If you payed season 1, you likely already know who you will be taking the POV of.

DO IT! GOTY X2, unless you hate fun and cell-shading and cool shiny things and puppies.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'll get all episodes on sale on ios later in the year. I really enjoyed the first one, but my cup runneth over with games right now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

For people that appreciate actual story driven, entertaining games, this is a must buy. For those looking for CoD clone #84, move along! (you know who you are. If you forgot who you are, scroll up and read the previous comments on this thread)

Looking forward to checking out The Wolf Among Us as well. (based on the Fables comic)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I've heard The Wolf Among Us is solid. I may check it out once my strange, recent LOTRO addiction subsides.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

S02E02 is out.

Fucking riveting.

Not so sure on how much control you have over the primary plot points, aside from character interaction, but damn it is fine, fine storytelling.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Finally got around to playing this since it was $3 for the whole Season 01 for PS4 and I agree with this assessment. Not sure why the critics (and players) went crazy for this back then.

I really had an issue with how it ended with the 'Stranger'. That's not how walkie talkies work. They found the supplies in the station wagon in the Macon area then took a train to Savannah which by the way is 165 miles. How'd the Stranger get there? Yeah yeah suspension of disbelief whatever.. I just thought it was all just a bit too convenient and really spoiled my enjoyment of the story overall.

Also not really a fan of the timed responses.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--