MMORPG: Secret World

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: MMORPG: Secret World

Post by Hesten »

Yep, voice rocks in this one....its just sad that you dont have a voice yourself.
I havent had time to play it in like 3 weeks, and im not sure ill get time to get back, so many other games to play.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Hesten wrote:Yep, voice rocks in this one....its just sad that you dont have a voice yourself.
hehe, this is why I remade my main character to use the appearance of having his mouth sewn shut :P
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Fairweather Pure wrote:This only sold 200k copies. Ouch!
200,000 copies is not bad. I don't know what Funcom expected to sell, but the subscription model is dying and it should never have been released as one. Subscriptions were fine when there were only 2-3 choices in what MMO you wanted to play. People want to check out their game and would probably spend some money on it but the barrier to entry is pretty high for just another standard run around and do quests MMORPG.

Especially considering how mediocre it is. It's a great setting, but so was Anarchy Online. What Funcom lacks is designers that can construct truly compelling gameplay. I think the era is passed that you can make a MMO with combat where your avatar just waggles their weapons at someone and numbers appear over their head. The setting might be great and the storyline might be above average for a MMO (not really a feat), but combat oriented games need to have good combat.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The combat itself is lacking. The animations aren't top notch but the skill/weapon effects are decent. There are still many positives to the game including the ability wheel. For number crunchers and those that like to optimize their characters, this system offers a wide open way to play the way you want....or at least maximize the effectiveness of your character in a different way than the the generic MMO clones do.

It should be noted that I enjoyed this game even though the avatars are ugly and there are no upskirt opportunities. That's saying something.

Combat is not absolutely horrible but it's a weakness. I did well in PvP so there's something wrong with the system as I never do well in PvP although I did spend a lot of time working on my abilities so maybe that actually paid off.

I put a lot of weight on environment, settings, etc and Secret World deserves a look for those reasons as well as for anyone that doesn't just have just a killer mentality and likes to solve problems, figure out codes, etc. Spell/weapon effects are also above average.

I'll head back and tinker around with it once its F2P just to see the story and environments I didn't get a chance to see the first month. Some of the boss fights were challenging playing solo.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:It should be noted that I enjoyed this game even though the avatars are ugly and there are no upskirt opportunities. That's saying something.
You must have missed out on the period of time where people were using bugs to make fully nude characters, lol. It was...more disturbing when tentacles came into play.

I think that the interface being a direct rip of Conan was my only "real" gripe. Some of the puzzles were made even more difficult when you had to highlight a specific pixel to make something happen.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Secret World is now free to play for those that own the game.

http://kotaku.com/5967800/funcoms-mmo-t ... scriptions

It still costs 30.00 to buy the game. I was hoping it would go free to play completely so more people could try it out as it's worth a look.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Nice to hear. They said it was coming shortly after release, but I never heard anything else after I stopped playing. This is a game that I have been resisting the urge to resubscribe to.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Secret World 50% off on Amazon for $15.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VTVKG6/

Combine that with no subscription fee and it's not a bad deal.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, I've seen several 15.00 sales over the last few months.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:yeah, I've seen several 15.00 sales over the last few months.

Good for you. Now it's actually a factor with no subscription fee. Please give it your best shot to post something relevant.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow's reading comprehension has completely failed!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Current Origin sale has it for $10 this time. Well worth picking up!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Three years later, I Updated my Secret World game and have been playing some this weekend.

The atmosphere in this game is awesome. I quit playing originally after I hit Blue Mountain and had my ass handed to my time after time.

With 525 skills and endless combinations, the game requires quite a bit of research to understand wft is going on. After taking some time to research my Blade/Assault rifle class, I tweaked it a bit and am doing much better.

Assault Rifles are actually a healing "class". Shoot stuff and it heals you and/or your group. Blades are good melee AOE damage. i found some good abilities/passives that allow me to do some decent damage while continuously healing myself.

I played all Friday and never ran into another person. It's like playing a solo game. Most that are still playing are in the top tiers. I finished up Blue Mountain and have most of my gear at QL6 and have headed into The Scorched Desert.

This isn't a rush game. It's there to enjoy the story and creepy atmospheres. The quests are great. Cool multiparts to them. Unlike your standard MMO, the quests have unique supporting crap that go with them. Hand written notes, etc. Very nice personal touches that make it worthwhile as opposed to just a game to level up in.

Biggest problem with Secret World is it's overwhelming choices for the new player. You can't reset your ability points but if you do decide to change weapons etc, you keep all the points in the other skill trees which can come in handy. There are passive skills that may be used no matter what weapons or magic you choose. Treat it like a solo game. I'm sure there are people here somewhere but not until you get to the QL9-10 gear. Combat is a little clunky but works well enough. I applaud The Secret World team for creating such a unique MMO. It's imperfect but sets itself way apart from the usual MMORPG fare. The game Maps and UI are all unique.

If you like theorycrafting and good atmospheres and good story/puzzles, Secret World is worth checking out.

A few months back they updated the "user experience" with the game. Reduced HPs on mobs so they die faster, made combat a little faster, introduced fast travel, all to cut down on the tedious parts of the game.