FFXIV Beta (The BEST FFXIV Thread)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

FFXIV Beta (The BEST FFXIV Thread)

Post by Winnow »

I've been playing the FFXIV beta and its horrible.

The Good:

-Looks pretty
-Nice Cut scenes (there's your kiss of death if that's the best thing I can come up with

The Bad:

-User Interface is atrocious
-Text/Click bubble hell. So long and boring you quit reading them and click as fast as you can to get to end.
-Horrible quest system
-Horrible Inventory system
-You can't jump in the game. Space bar enters you into chat mode which is frustrating.
-Below average character generation system...no slider, you get 1-5 choices for face, hair, etc.
-Everyone pretty much looks the same
-Combat system blows

This isn't a newsflash or anything but Square Enix has completely lost their grip on what it takes to make an enjoyable game. I was looking forward to FFXIV as a possible filler until some of the more anticipated MMOs are released next year, or at least until DC Universe comes out late in November but I didn't even last a day in the beta.

Upcoming Games I'm interested in checking out:

DC Universe, Nov 2011, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MujLrAB6Uo (kinda long developer walk through)

Vindictus, Open Beta Sept 15th, Free Game, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBXNuUx3OgY (boss fight) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26AQTpZm4M (some game play) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF96UKbZ-wo (good interview with developer, watch it)

-Sad that the character generator in this free game is much better than FFXIV's and the game play also looks more interesting.

Guild Wars 2, 2011, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRODEqDCqE

People are going to shit their panties after they eventually find out how much work went into and how unique and cool Guild Wars 2 is going to be.

Blade and Soul, 2011, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-rgEwLIRH8

Try to watch this one in HD. Looks great for a high action type MMO. Just get over the skimpy female clothes and enjoy the look of the game. It's going to be fun to play.

Tera, 2011, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4kVwEAuwU

Pure sex! But it loos like fun!

hehe, look at the casting animations for female sorc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJwv2q5csQY

------
In summary. Stay away from FFXIV. It's not even average. It's about as generic as an MMO can get while adding a huge negative in the UI department.

Guild Wars 2 looks like the most well rounded and artistically unique game. Vindictus is worth a shot for as a free game....DC Universe, Blade and Soul and Tera all have peaked my interest.
Last edited by Winnow on October 7, 2010, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: FFXIV Beta (and other upcoming MMOs)

Post by Hesten »

You forgot the upcoming Star Wars MMO, which might be interesting for me, unlike all the others you posted :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I understand Winnow's fondness for a couple of those games, but none of those look interesting to me. CCP's World of Darkness MMO is about the only game I know of that's in the pipe that I'm looking forward to / interested in. Rumor is that CCP will be making a major announcement about the game at the White Wolf Grand Masquerade convention at the end of the month.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Anyone who is actually interested in FFXIV should pay no mind to Winnow's review.
In his defense, it is actually a pretty accurate review of the first 30 minutes of the game.

The interface took me a number of hours to get comfortable with but it's easily customized. And to most players, character customization means little beyond the first 5 minutes.
And um... of course everyone looks the same at newbie levels. :roll:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm downloading the client...gonna give it a whirl.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I'm downloading the client...gonna give it a whirl.
Hope you have a beta key. Last I saw they stopped giving them out but that was a back on Wednesday during the initial rush so don't know situation now.
Hesten wrote:You forgot the upcoming Star Wars MMO, which might be interesting for me, unlike all the others you posted :)
I followed the progress of this game and it doesn't seem to capture the Star Wars world for me. After watching all the developer's comments, I still need more convincing on this one.

----

Another game I left out is Secret World. It doesn't sound as cool as it once did after seeing some game play but it still could be fun.

The actual game play footage graphics aren't first rate the but the idea behind the game could carry it.

It does have great cut scenes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARd-fmKZ2g

Commentary About the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVvr37P27I

Need to wait for more info on this game

------

As for FFXIV, I stand by my comments. I wanted this game to be good. I looked forward to it even knowing it would probably be a cut below the other MMOs being released within a year. It's a huge disappointment even with the lower expectations. 60.00 + subs on this game would be wasted money. As with most MMOs, I'm sure it will find its niche as it's different strokes for different folks. If you have any plans on getting this game, you really should try the beta first. If you're coming from WoW or EQ II you might be still be impressed...although for you people coming from WoW's ming numbling dumbed down plug-in UI, you might actually shed real tears. I'm a fan of complexity and thinker MMOs but not of plain crappy UIs.

The biggest complaint, over and over, is the unresponsiveness of the already crappy UI. The mouse pointer (hand)"floats". Square busted out a party like it's 1999 User interface, making the simplest of tasks a pain by being buried in huge menus, compounded by the latency issues of the lame mouse. If you like to pound your way though endless chat text bubbles, this game is right up your alley. Another sign of a poor game is the inability to jump...as if hey were concerned this poor level designs might be compromised or something. See that 3 foot ledge? Don't bother trying to drop of jump off it...go around the long way son!

Don't take my word for it. Read the comments on the beta board:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/forum/2-general-discussion/
This is not me having a go at the game, I have decided after playing the Open beta for an evening that I won't be purchasing the game, I am sure plenty of people will love it and it will be very successful, but I just can't understand one thing.

After many MANY years of other MMO's in the market with their intuitive and easy to UI, with responsive controls and user friendly tutorials, why the developments thought the rigid and stagnant control set currently in this Final Fantasy would be popular with new players?

For people who played FF11 I am sure its common ground and they are quite happy but there are several specific aspects of the game I just wanted to touch on that just have me bemused that no one stepped in and said we could improve upon that

-The mouse movement, WHY OH WHY even have the mouse if its going to be that awful, forget joypad option, why have it?!?!

-Active/Passive! WTF is this Darkfall or something? This is suppose to be a AAA game, why on gods green earth did they not code a simple 'aggressive mob targetted and ability used' auto ACTIVE mode, it completely just well WTF!

-The quest timers....on what planet do they think that providing a time limit for quests was a good idea, you take a Guild Leve you have 30mins to do it, your son calls you out in the garden so you go check hes ok, 10mins becomes 40mins....BOOM guild leve gone! (I have limited experience with these so maybe I am wrong and you can redo them?) It seems counter productive to penalise your subscribers to a time limit for certain quests

-Menu system, did I just fall through a time hole and land in the late 1990's and begin playing a PS1 or PS2 roleplaying game? The menu system is abhorrent, coupled with the mouse which is wading through oil it makes the whole experience laborious

And thing that neatly sums up FFXIV, its just one big laborious task to get through the game with the controls acting like a massive Oil Tanker, making progress slow, frustrating and cumbersome

Honestly in this day and age, with the leaps and bounds gaming is making, would it be so hard to make the mouse work properly, provide a symbol based UI for easy access to things and remove the quest timers

Maybe I am wrong, but this is someone who barely played FF11 and I am sure I speak for OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of other potential new players

The Japanese may be happy, but for a western audience drunk on WoW, Warhammer, Age of Conan etc and their UI's, FFXIV seems like a massive step BACKWARDS in MMO development
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Guild Wars 2 looks great. I'll be trying that one out. I don't really care about the others.

In the end though, it's all about Warhammer 40,000 Dark Millennium for me!
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I have a DCU beta, but refuse to play it as my SOE friends do nothing but complain about how horrible it is.

Maybe I'll give em a couple more weeks and try it out.
Sick Balls!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Well, the new Star Wars MMO cant be any worse than the last one....i played the old one for less than two days :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

yeah Winnow, i got a key. been downloading for over a day now...what a bear...there must be a gazillion folks doing this open beta phase. Oh well.

GuildWars2 does look good...the battle mechanics looked great for a caster.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:yeah Winnow, i got a key. been downloading for over a day now...what a bear...there must be a gazillion folks doing this open beta phase. Oh well.

GuildWars2 does look good...the battle mechanics looked great for a caster.
How many remote connections do you have on your ffxiv torrent patcher? I averaged around 50+ and it only took a few hours. It's a torrent so more people should be better. Check your firewall settings. I had to drop mine in order to unblock the ports. Sony is too cheap to offer a normal direct download option.

And why does every character have an ass pack in ffxiv? We get it Square...ass pack... no other game has had ass packs, but why give every class/race a fucking ass pack? Every god damned character and class has the same fucking ass pack and dull brownish/grey potato sack clothes.

Ass pack
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Sony is too cheap to offer a normal direct download option.
Sony?
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

i get over 25 connections...but the file just doesn't transfer...it is annoying, but I have other games to play anyways. it will finish when it finishes. The problem is, it does eventually time out, and that's annoying. I just sit at 99.6%.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Turn off your virus scanner.
There were some files in the download that register false positives to many virus scanners.
Not sure if they have fixed it yet.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Done. We'll see if it works...I'm not getting any virus item popups or anything. The downloader is timing out...which is usually a port forwarding thing...but this time its because Squenix hates me...it will work eventually, and eventualy I'll give the game a try. I have some freinds that still enjoy FF11, so I will give it an honest and good try before condemning it like I did FF11. i hated 11 because of the controls, or lack there of it seemed.

bingo, just as I was typing this, the downloader finally got it, and the installer is rolling. Guess it was the virus scanner thing?
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Been sitting at 6 connections. Managed to get 3.1% over the course of the afternoon.

I'm not that interested in the game, and clearly they're not that interested in changing my mind.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Niffoni wrote:Been sitting at 6 connections. Managed to get 3.1% over the course of the afternoon.

I'm not that interested in the game, and clearly they're not that interested in changing my mind.
Are those local or remote connections? You have firewall (port blocking) issue

...which is another negative about Square....bunch of dumbasses. You can't use a delivery method for your software that's going to be a headache for many non tech people. They'd probably save money in the long run by just canceling the project right now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Do people still really get that excited about upcoming MMOs? I don't see the point really. They are all the same just with different graphics and (sometimes) UI.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Do people still really get that excited about upcoming MMOs? I don't see the point really. They are all the same just with different graphics and (sometimes) UI.
I disagree with that. MMOs are not all alike.

More on FFXIV:
The latest controversy to erupt around Final Fantasy XIV consists of accusations that the game shamelessly copy-pastes the same towns and environmental elements over and over without the slightest variation, making one end of the world identical to another and subsequently devoid of character.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

...which is another negative about Square....bunch of dumbasses. You can't use a delivery method for your software that's going to be a headache for many non tech people.
I guess Blizzard are also a bunch of dumbasses as well. Look at all those millions of non-tech people that can't play WOW because they can't figure out how to get peer to peer working. :roll:
Good god, you're a fucking idiot.

Oh and SE already has a working content delivery infrastructure in place that doesn't use peer to peer. They just aren't using it for the FFXIV beta.

And how the hell is reusing assets in a MMO considered 'controversy'.
I literally laughed out loud at that.
Every single game with a large open world environment ' shamelessly copy-pastes the same towns and environmental elements over and over without the slightest variation'.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Every single game with a large open world environment ' shamelessly copy-pastes the same towns and environmental elements over and over without the slightest variation'.
Not true dumbass!

Enjoy your large world coupled with a huge case of Déjà vu! I hope you buy this game to prove some sort of a point.

may red-x

lazy asses. 4 different loctions. the same shit. there's plenty of other examples as well.

Head over to JustinTV and watch one of many FFXIV beta live feeds...most boring MMO ever. All you see is these people slogging around at a snail's pace in this huge copy-pasted world, or struggling with the UI Menus trying to do something basic...after that it's off to a quest npc to click through 20 mini text bubbles, and then go make a long journey even longer because you can't jump off a 3 foot ledge, to find some rat to kill for rat tails and then make the 20 minute trip back to the chat bubble hell npc for another round.

No, all MMOs aren't the same. This one is much worse that your top of the line MMOs. Boring design choices, horrible UI, pathetic landscape used over and over. EQ1 released in 12 years ago is better than this crap.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea, we get it... you hate Square Enix alamost as much as you hate Sony.
Troll away!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

EverQuest is still around. People should just play that instead!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Yea, we get it... you hate Square Enix alamost as much as you hate Sony.
Don't hate Square. FFX was great. FFXII was so so...FFXIII, eh.

FFXIV sucks balls. You were defending it so figured I'd pipe in to save a few people some bucks if they were thinking about it. I'm disappointed FFXIV is so bad. I had scheduled in that game to tide me over until the batch of MMOs coming out early 2011. Looks like next stop will be Vindictus beta on Sept 15. Based on street cred and having watched the Original Star Wars movie before it was hacked by Lucas, I'm already declaring Vindictus to be better than FFXIV before playing it!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Dude, you trolled up the FF13 thread for nearly 6 months. It's painfully obvious that you can't stand SE for some reason.

But that's besides the point.
You look for instant gratification in MMOs... then you quit after a month or two.
MMO developers do not develop games for players like you.
They try to design games that have staying power, games that people will play for years.

It's obvious that you haven't played the FFXIV beta for more than an hour...
You know nothing about the combat system, nothing about the crafting system, nothing about... well anything really. Except maybe character creation and the intro cinematics.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Dude, you trolled up the FF13 thread for nearly 6 months. It's painfully obvious that you can't stand SE for some reason.

But that's besides the point.
You look for instant gratification in MMOs... then you quit after a month or two.
MMO developers do not develop games for players like you.
They try to design games that have staying power, games that people will play for years.

It's obvious that you haven't played the FFXIV beta for more than an hour...
You know nothing about the combat system, nothing about the crafting system, nothing about... well anything really. Except maybe character creation and the intro cinematics.
It's painfully obvious that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I've been playing my current MMO for 7+ months. I think most of us on this board have had enough long term experience with MMORPGs to be able to make some calls without some fagged up mandatory month long borefest before the obvious can be stated. Developers love clueless people like you that stick with shitty games thinking something magical will happen while your life rots away and they collect the $$.

There's no magic joo joo that makes major flaws in a UI better after several months. If FFXIV wants to redesign it's UI, put more effort into its quest, remap its terrain,fix the latency issues while finding a way to make the game fun to play, I'll check it out however many months down the road that takes. FFXIV is pure crap. It's not a mini fix here and tweak there away from being great.
One of the more regular complaints against Final Fantasy XIV's current open beta has been the lack of a hardware mouse. The currently implemented software mouse has certain issues, among them the fact that (like any software mouse) performance can vary wildly depending on your framerate within the game. Amidst all the clamoring of fans for an official fix, a fan looked into the code and realized that the game already has the support coded in... it's just not enabled.

The fan-written patch to address the issue notes up front that it's an entirely unsupported change, will be wiped out by each new patch to the beta (patches have been coming almost every day), and simply enables the existing code hidden within the game client. There's also no word from Square-Enix at this time as to how the company views this alteration, as it technically falls under the aegis of being a non-permitted modification to the client. Still, if you're in the Final Fantasy XIV open beta and have little hope Square will activate the code on its own, a fix is being made available.
The mouse is horrible in FFXIV. Square Enix' decision makers are not in touch with the reality of today's market. One of them admitted that they didn't pay attention to other games when making FFXIV...that's pretty clear considering the time warp UI and poor decisions made in developing the game.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

A lot of the stuff you are complaining about is the same stuff some people complained about in FF11. Reality of this game (and any FF game, in my opinion) is that it's not for everyone. They don't make it for everyone, they don't simplify the UI and dumb the game down for the WoW crowd, because they don't have to, they are Square.

As far as the mouse thing goes, I'm going to go ahead and guess that this game is better played with a gamepad.. That certainly was the case with FF11, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Last time I checked, in every single MMO I've played, the first 20 levels... the quests, the mobs, the landscape, etc, all looks the same and is repetitive. You clearly aren't a fan of the way Square does things, which is fine.

I for have reserved the special edition of this game, and if it's even as good as 11 was minus the starting over at level 1 five times to get to the class your going to play, I'll be putting a fair chunk of my time into it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't played it.. And have no desire to. But I have seen more than a few negative comments about FFXIV on many different sites. Fortunately I guess since the beta is free people can install it (when it eventually finishes downloading) and see for themselves.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

A few notes...definitely better played on a gamepad...which then makes it less social...but you have quick chat items in FF11 that let you talk to others in whatever language they had setup. This was always helpful..but never felt really social.

I'm not really sure what it is...its most likely a Japanese culture thing that's driving this game's mechanics and style...which is why the rest of the world either hates it or loves it. There is no in between with square games, that's for sure. The Japanese gaming culture is very different, but the asian countries eat up those MMO's too. FF11 is without a doubt a very successful MMO, and I'm sure FF14 will be very successful too. Deep game mechanics keep players around for a long time. NO, they will never be able to lie about having 10 million subscribers like WoW...but no one else will be saying that anytime soon either.

I think the complaints you see about the game, beyond the recycled textures (who cares?), are a cultural difference you are seeing with the design teams.

As for my time with FF14, so far, its not bad. If it was not a beta build, and ran smoother, I'm sure I would spend at least a month trying out the game mechanics...but its probably not really for me. I don't like fishing, crafting, etc etc...so it really only leaves me with the war classes.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with the Japanese culture thing. It's funny because in certain ways winnow is a spitting image of a 20-something Japanese male.. At any rate, they did develop this game (as they do with most of their games) with Japanese people first in their minds, and what they like is a far fucking cry different from what western gamers generally like.

Anyhow, I've always been fascinated with Japanese culture, I've always loved Japanese RPG's, with anything Square makes being at the top of that list.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Final Fantasy XIV is without question a gorgeous game but looks aren’t everything. With 24 days left before a worldwide release, open beta testers are reporting issues within the game world that one would think would have been resolved at this point.

Among the many complaints made by numerous OPT include: ”interesting huge world, but it’s empty”, “you’re given 8 rather short kill quests on a 48 hour cooldown”, “not enough content”, “ridiculously high ( PC ) requirements”, “MP doesn’t regenerate when you heal”, “little-to-no-tutorials”, “bad targeting system”, “very repetitive”, “server crashes” and ” clunky party search functionality.”

Since open beta runs on the same system and programming code as the final version and with the game launching worldwide on September 30th, many testers have come to the conclusion that FFXIV will be a bit of a mess at launch and have decided to cancel their preorders or wait until the PS3 releases next year. Others continue to hold out hope that the mmorpg will improve when it launches for the world this month.
24 days and counting.
Going by that it doesn't sound like anything to do with any sort of cultural difference. Unless all those are aspects of a Japanese game. I don't play them so it very well could be!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

”interesting huge world, but it’s empty”
I'm interested in how people can say this at this point.. If it's anything like 11, travel at low, or even mid levels was like trying to run through the middle of Kithcor at night at level 1.
“you’re given 8 rather short kill quests on a 48 hour cooldown”
From what I've read from actual reviews and not complaint lists, this is a bit of a exaggeration. They have limited the amount of leveling you can do by putting diminishing returns on exp, and after like 15 hours of play in a week you will basically stop getting exp.

This won't appeal to the teenagers playing WoW, since they can't play it 60 hours a week and PL THERI TOONZ LUL... But I'm ok with it. They are doing it to keep everyone on a level playing field, and also because their target audience (the people that played FF11) spends a lot of time in game doing shit other than leveling/fighting.. Namely large amounts of time in tradeskills.

“not enough content”
Ummm... The game is in beta... How much content do you expect there to be??

“ridiculously high ( PC ) requirements”
.... MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL AND I WANT IT TO RUN ON MY EMACHINE I BOUGHT IN '99

“MP doesn’t regenerate when you heal”
Don't recall this happening in any MMO. Ever.

“little-to-no-tutorials”
Go back to WoW, then.

“bad targeting system”
Potentially a valid point, don't know.

“very repetitive”
Yes.
“server crashes”
Beta. Beta. Beta.

clunky party search functionality.
Not a concern of mine, but potentially valid.

WoW has gotten MMO gamers used to having their fucking hand held through the entire game, and many of the complaints in this thread are proof.. At any rate, I'm still ultra excited to try this out (I'm skipping the beta, though).

EDIT: As to your actual comment.. Lot's of winnow's drivel was more the cultural difference stuff, as is a lot of the other stuff posted in this thread. You could be potentially just trying to be annoying, so I may be wasting my time pointing this out, but meh.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote: I think the complaints you see about the game, beyond the recycled textures (who cares?), are a cultural difference you are seeing with the design teams.
IT's not recycled textures that's the issue, it's the same layout over and over that is. Of course textures are recycled in every game but the designers put more effort into not duplicating entire areas as seen in the images above.

The difference with Asian MMOs is the grind factor which I don't mind. I do mind high failure rates on enchanting, enhancing, etc. It adds nothing to the game to frustrate players with high failure rates. The alternative, if you're looking to force players to spend time in your game is to make these items rarer but not fail or fail less. Much more satisfying for the player.

FFXIV blows in many other areas that have nothing to do with the Asian gaming factor.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:EDIT: As to your actual comment.. Lot's of winnow's drivel was more the cultural difference stuff, as is a lot of the other stuff posted in this thread. You could be potentially just trying to be annoying, so I may be wasting my time pointing this out, but meh.
Don't be so full of yourself. I wasn't even responding to your post as I didn't even really read it. It was more in response to Kluden since he's the one that was making the "Japanese culture thing" point. But someday I hope to reach my full potential and become annoying. Stay tuned.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:EDIT: As to your actual comment.. Lot's of winnow's drivel was more the cultural difference stuff, as is a lot of the other stuff posted in this thread. You could be potentially just trying to be annoying, so I may be wasting my time pointing this out, but meh.
Don't be so full of yourself. I wasn't even responding to your post as I didn't even really read it. It was more in response to Kluden since he's the one that was making the "Japanese culture thing" point. But someday I hope to reach my full potential and become annoying. Stay tuned.
I have faith in your potential, keep the dream alive!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Any MMO that makes Winnow butthurt is a must-play for me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

VV needs a "like" button.

:lol:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You cannot complain that WoW does too much hand holding IMO. It's ease of entry is pretty much the #1 defining difference between it and everything before and after it's release. It's still the #1 MMORPG by a record amount of subscribers and that is likely one of the leading reasons why. I hate going into a game and immediately feeling like a 6 year old game is better.

I'm looking for the same level of polish or the next step from WoW. I don't know why I would play anything different if that simple criteria is not met. Well, I guess I would switch genres as well just to try something different.

Guild Wars 2 is going for an extremely dynamic quest system that sounds amazing on paper and quite different than WoW.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'll keep playing the beta for sure...so we'll see on more comments. I didn't read a bunch of reviews on the game, I'm just saying what it feels like to me.

For clarification, it feels like a cultural difference in the way the FF11 and now FF14 games were made. The grind is a good way to look at it, but its more than that. Its not just a grind, the tactics and mechanics of the game have depth beyond that which is the norm. I'm saying that it must be a japanese thing, because american MMO's lack this quality. The game's mechanics are not deep, the content is not deep, in comparison.

The list of complaints is just a beta thing, and a personal taste thing, imo. I haven't found the world to be empty...the contrary as a matter of fact. I do find the game confusing though, but its been a long time since I played FF11, so that's understandable. I have yet to play a game in BETA where I got an instruction manual, so they are always hard at first to figure out.

I do agree that its still too raw to release, and they pushed back their release date, I've heard. I've also heard that the director of FF11 was moved over to FF14 like a week ago or something to clean house and move this thing forward. Who knows, I guess we will see what japanese efficiency really looks like!

edit: as i've said previously, I'm looking forward to trying guild wars 2 as well! but there's a lot of hype with that one.
Last edited by Kluden on September 7, 2010, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:You cannot complain that WoW does too much hand holding IMO. It's ease of entry is pretty much the #1 defining difference between it and everything before and after it's release. It's still the #1 MMORPG by a record amount of subscribers and that is likely one of the leading reasons why. I hate going into a game and immediately feeling like a 6 year old game is better.

I'm looking for the same level of polish or the next step from WoW. I don't know why I would play anything different if that simple criteria is not met. Well, I guess I would switch genres as well just to try something different.

Guild Wars 2 is going for an extremely dynamic quest system that sounds amazing on paper and quite different than WoW.
Popular != good.

I want depth and challenge in a game. Not simplicity, laughably easy content only made difficult by the moronic masses that play it, etc.

P.S. Yes, I can complain that it does too much hand holding. That is the direct cause of the mass of idiots that play it, and said idiots are the reason I stopped playing the game several months back. I'd also prefer there were not really any add-ons, etc that play the game for you, as well as bring viruses and keyloggers to the party.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The hand-holding or ease of entry is (in my opinion) WOWs worst feature.

It attracts the dregs of online gaming.
The foul mouthed, ADHD, entitlement demographic.

FFXIV is just a more complex game.
It's not WOW 2.0.
So many things about the game are very different from WOW.
You can't just fire it up and expect to know everything about the game.
Those differences will turn off a lot of players who will just go right back to WOW after the first month.

There's already a fuckton of games that are either a direct clone or a minor evolution of WOW.
We really don't need any more of those.
Bravo for SE not falling into that trap.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Every game that is popular attracts assholes. Anyone that has played Modern Warfare 2 and countless other online games can attest to that. You sound like hipster douche bags that only like bands until they become popular!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

and you're just another WoWtard making excuses for his game

I currently have active subs to three different games. I play each for different reasons. WoW's success came from it being over-simplified in game design and technical specs.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Anyone that has played Modern Warfare 2 and countless other online games can attest to that.
Which is the reason I abhor games like that.

I prefer games that attract a more mature demographic and those happen to be the ones that have less appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't confuse complexity with a crappy game. FFXIV forcing players to use a system designed for the early 90's isn't making the game better.

On the other hand, have you seen the peolpe that play WoW.....WOW! They look like they came straight out from the Wal-Mart checkout line. Yikes! WoW is do dumbed down that your average red neck can play it.

Guild Wars 2 is looking to be the best mix between game play and unique look and feel to it without completely abandoning some game mechanics that make MMOs fun. All the other games I mentioned in my original post also look to be better than FFXIV on paper so far.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Every game that is popular attracts assholes. Anyone that has played Modern Warfare 2 and countless other online games can attest to that. You sound like hipster douche bags that only like bands until they become popular!
Almost any teenager, people with little prior video game experience, and just plain obnoxious people make up the majority of the undesirable crowd. These people mainly pollute WoW, CoD (any of them), and Halo (any of them). Of course there are exceptions, but these games are by far the worst. I have quit playing all of them because of these people, and I honestly can't say that about any other game that comes to mind.

If those people don't bug you, that's fine, but it's most likely because you; Are one of those people, don't mind being around those people, or have quarantined yourself in a guild or group of friends and don't deal with those people. The last option might sound good enough, but it's not for me. I'd rather quarantine myself entirely, in a game that's too hard for them to wrap their feeble minds around, which is precisely what I do.

Call it what you want... It's the truth.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

This thread alone has generated enough hype with me to fully sign on! Wooohooo! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

You've got to keep in mind the WWI (Winnow's whackability index) for any game that Winnow looks at. Anything with hot-asian anime-esque female models gets a good score.

Guild wars was fun for a bit, seemed to be "just" an updated version of diablo in the end though.

One of the nicest things about LoTRO was the lack of WoW asstards after about level 15, they were all politely told to go away universally. I'm not sure if they leave the game or just start acting like decent human beings, but the post level 20 population is very polite and civil. The learning curve defficulty level is long the lines of EQ1, I'm sure that has something to do with those 'tards leaving as well.

EQ2 has a decent population too, nice folks overall with the occasional idiot.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:You've got to keep in mind the WWI (Winnow's whackability index) for any game that Winnow looks at. Anything with hot-asian anime-esque female models gets a good score.
While not entirely true, I'd agree that the visuals in a game to make a difference to me. I like high detailed, customizable characters in general, I prefer MMOs with brighter color palettes with everything else being equal. (except for WoW which is colorful but sucks)

While hot looking female characters will always earn bonus points with me, it isn't the deciding factor. I haven't seen the female chars in Guild Wars 2 yet but am sure I'll be playing that.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aabidano wrote:One of the nicest things about LoTRO was the lack of WoW asstards after about level 15, they were all politely told to go away universally. I'm not sure if they leave the game or just start acting like decent human beings, but the post level 20 population is very polite and civil. The learning curve defficulty level is long the lines of EQ1, I'm sure that has something to do with those 'tards leaving as well.
The community is, for the most part, much more helpful in lotro. I recently installed a copy that I had never opened, and I've been playing it off and on. It is far more relaxing than either of the other MMO's I've been playing.