Weather

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Weather

Post by Winnow »

Man, these historic cold temperatures have us here in the Phoenix Metro area dipping into the high 60's! Brrrrrr!

Tues Hi 69
Wed Hi 69
Thu Hi 67
Fri Hi 69
Sat Hi 69
Sun Hi 70

Won't be back into the 70's until Sunday. This sucks!

In other news:
Right Now, It's as Cold in Canada as Where Our Rover Is on Mars

A frigid spell has brought Winnipeg's temperature down to that of a planet more than 100 million miles further from the sun than we are.

Canada is having a cold snap at the moment. This week, in Southern Manitoba, the temperature reached a blisteringly frigid -31 degrees Celsius, or nearly -24 Fahrenheit. (Wind chill values in Winnipeg—in case you were curious and/or in need of some meteorological schadenfreude—dipped to -58 Fahrenheit.) Which is crazy, and which makes for, as Yahoo's Geekquinox blog puts it, "the coldest afternoon temperatures the area has seen in several years."

The cold spell also puts Canada into some rarified company. Because you know what other place has recently registered a temperature of -31 degrees Celsius? Mars. Yep, Mars—a planet located an average of 140 million miles farther from the sun than we are. Over on the Red Planet, NASA's Curiosity rover regularly sends temperature data to us via its REMS (Rover Environmental Monitoring Station) instrument. And over the past month, Yahoo notes, REMS has been reporting daily high temperatures on Mars that range from -25 to -31 degrees Celsius. (Mars seems to be having its own cold spell: The -31 degrees Celsius temperature is the coldest daily high the rover has recorded since it landed on the planet in August 2012.)

It's worth noting that Mars, like Earth, has its own climates—and the area where Curiosity is tooling around, The Smithsonian notes, is roughly equivalent to the latitude of Venezuela. So the temperature comparison is a bit of an apples-to-oranges matchup ... just with really cold apples. And really, really cold oranges.
That was actually last week. I think that cold has move into the US this week. Canadians will feel right at home on Mars. eh?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Weather

Post by Aslanna »

I don't watch FOX News but I'm sure right about now all their shows are pounding out the "global warming is a hoax" mantra.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah it was around -22 here yesterday, -45 with wind chill. I've been thinking about moving somewhere else a lot lately.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

-33 F with windchill here right now with around 18 inches of snow. I have stayed home from work the past 2 days but I'm going in tomorrow.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Luckily I already had vacation scheduled this week so I'm home hibernating. Picked up provisions early Saturday when I learned of the impending DOOM so I'm set for awhile.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I guess the NW was spared from THE CYCLONICTEMPERATUREVORTEXOFDOOM! I want snow dammit!

Although those sub-zero temps are not very fun....so I guess there's that.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My outdoor table and chairs:

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

My car started today!!

Now if only I wasn't able to see my breath at my cubicle...
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

With so many things I'm absolutely sick of in the redneck festering armpit that is FL, it doesn't get cold here and that's still enough to stay.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not entirely true. It usually gets cold there for a week or two. At least in the upper half of the state. I know because I lived there and remember more than a few times freezing my ass off because we didn't have heat because hey it's Florida and it never gets cold! Then you get like a month or two (three is pushing it) of pleasant temperatures and tolerable humidity. Then it sucks for the rest of the year unless you're one of those people who love oppressive heat and humidity. I am not one of those people.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I love winter. When I lived in Arkansas for 5 years I really missed it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Arizona is way better than Florida.

-Warm climate in winter(unless you live on the ridge near the Grand Canyon) You can visit the cold in a short 2 hour trip
-No humidity (except for about one month during monsoon season and even then its way less humid than Florida)
-No Hurricanes, Tornados or other natural disasters to worry about.
-Beautiful, diverse countryside (not the incredibly bland and boring flat Florida landscape)
-No bugs. Don't have to deal with mosquitoes or any other buggy crap in most of the state
-A zillion times less rednecks and no annoying eastern accents.
-Surrounding states are better. California vs Alabama? lol! In Florida you drive north a few hours and run into...more rednecks! Do the same in AZ and you run into Las Vegas or San Diego.

So, the most you have to deal with in AZ is the heat in the summer but the saying, "it's a dry heat" actually matters. You don't sweat your ass off in high humidity. Sweat evaporates and cools you instead of sticks to you, drenching your clothes. Your drinks don't create a pool of water from condensation all the time. 110 in AZ feels like 87 degrees in Florida minus the humidity.

Fuck Florida. Can't wait for that shit to get gobbled up by the rising sea level. It only needs to rise like ten more feet to swallow the entire state.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

We get frost maybe twice a winter, cool but not generally cold the rest of the time. Panhandle gets much colder, they almost have winter up there.

Heat/bugs don't really bother me, no worse than most of the south-central and mid-west US. Does stay hot longer. July/Aug highs in StL, Detroit and Chicago are usually higher than here.

AZ, TX and NM are about the only places I'd intentionally move to. And maybe the Baton Rouge vicinity.

*edit - All of the above are chock full of rednecks too, except in the urban areas which are full of east coast and midwest douchebags. Just like FL.

So maybe Kawaihae instead?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

AZ, TX and NM are about the only places I'd intentionally move to. And maybe the Baton Rouge vicinity.
:lol:
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:
:lol:
I'd say something but Oregon is actually a great looking state! I spent some time in Sunriver Oregon and did some river rafting on a 5 day trip down the Deshutes!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It was Baton Rouge and tx that prompted the giggle. I rather like Taos, NM and Flagstaff, AZ. Hell, despite the heat I even think the Sonora Desert has a lot to offer in the not as hot season.

And yeah, Sunriver/Bend is pretty cool. My mom lives near Mt Bachelor.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I like most of the west coast, having been in the SE since the 80s the cost of living elsewhere makes me cringe.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Cost of living is not to be ignored for sure. When I moved to OR in 2003, the cost of living and real estate was much lower in the Portland metro area, but unemployment was pretty wretched. Now, cost of living is higher, but hardly like SF, LA, SEA, etc. Hell, if you want land and cheap real estate, there is plenty to be had the farther away from the city you go, like most places.

But, it'd be a hell of a commute to work... One day, a bunch of land would be nice!

Luckily, I bought at the bottom in 2010, so my home value is on top enough for a possible re-fi + renno budget...we shall see.

Oh yeah, it rains a bit here... ><
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Actual rain is OK, endless drizzle blows...

When I lived in/on Alameda we had lots of folks commuting in from 30 miles out, decent subset from 50+ too. That's crazy
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I wish it would stop dipping below freezing at night so I can get the Z back on the road. It's so weird driving an auto.

Look at us old fucks talking weather. what the fuck guys
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Canelek wrote:Cost of living is not to be ignored for sure. When I moved to OR in 2003, the cost of living and real estate was much lower in the Portland metro area, but unemployment was pretty wretched. Now, cost of living is higher, but hardly like SF, LA, SEA, etc. Hell, if you want land and cheap real estate, there is plenty to be had the farther away from the city you go, like most places.

But, it'd be a hell of a commute to work... One day, a bunch of land would be nice!

Luckily, I bought at the bottom in 2010, so my home value is on top enough for a possible re-fi + renno budget...we shall see.

Oh yeah, it rains a bit here... ><
Your rainfall would kill me. I get into depression stage without a certain amount of sunshine. I am kinda jealous of the fishing opportunities you have up in that region though.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, it can get a bit depressing in Feb, Mar. This is why people take vacations then. :) There is always the Bend area if you don't mind snow. Great Cascade views!
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Canelek wrote:Yeah, it can get a bit depressing in Feb, Mar. This is why people take vacations then. :) There is always the Bend area if you don't mind snow. Great Cascade views!
I would love a day of rain instead of wind gusts in the 60 -80 mph range like we have been getting all winter.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I noticed it's a little cold around most of the U.S. again. Here's the seven day outlook for the Phoenix Metropolitan area:
Tue 77/46 / Wed 76/49 / Thu 74/46 / Fri 73/45 / Sat 75/47 / Sun 74/45 / Mon 74/45
Looks like we'll have a little cold spell of our own on Friday. Have a great week!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

In Atlanta, holy crap.4 degrees wind chill. Yesterday I was in 83 degree weather.Golfing Friday supposed to be 38 degrees.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

100F here atm. I want some polar vortex.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't know if the pictures will show up, but that's our major freeway in Phoenix.

It's fucking nuts here in Phoenix.

We have record rainfall for a single day and it's only 8am. 3 inches so far valley wide. Here in Chandler, we have 3.94 inches today so far.

No drought here! Wettest day in recorded history in Phoenix!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Thanks climate change!

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That's interstate 10?
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:That's interstate 10?
Yep, that's the I-10. All major freeways were closed at various locations. I-10, I-60, 101, 202 and 51.

Most Phoenix metro areas got over 4 inches before it let up.
Monday is the rainiest single day in the history of Phoenix, where weather records go back to 1895. The rain has turned freeways into lakes and forced the closure of highways, streets and schools throughout the region.

Channel 12 meteorologist James Quinones said already the region was coping with the biggest flood in 44 years.

The rain was due in part to the remnants of eastern Pacific Hurricane Norbert. These tropical-type storms occur only once every five to 10 years in Arizona and result in prolonged, widespread rain. Monsoon storms, by comparison, are shorter and much more isolated.

"This is pretty historic, what we're seeing," said Randy Cerveny, a weather expert and professor of geological sciences at Arizona State University.