Syria

What do you think about the world?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Syria

Post by Zamtuk »

This should be a fun ride! So, if Obama attacks, and it looks like its a certainty at this point, this weekend after the reports come back on Sunday, what will be the fallout on public opinion? Even with the whole Bush thing is still pretty fresh, liberals are getting mighty testy over the conservatives trolling this. I've certainly cracked a few oil in Syria jokes as well, but now I've seen a lot of people defending our right to strike them.

I figured this would have been a topic here by now!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Syria

Post by Aabidano »

He did an in and out in Libya and got away with it, making other nations responsible for the long slog. Saved a bunch of lives, etc... All around good deal.

Something similar might work; as then, we can't do another theater at the moment.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Let John McCain handle it!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Him and Palin going in as Rambo and Rambette? saw a jpg of that in 2008 :D
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not sure it will be like Libya. Some nations seem to like Syria. I say let them sort it out themselves!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I don't buy Assad has used chemical weapons. He is currently winning the civil war and has basically no reason to, knowing the USA will shoot half a billion dollars worth of missiles at them if they even catch a whiff of tear gas. These "rebels" are no better than he is and I would not put it passed them gassing civilians in order to goad the UN into doing their job for them. I don't see why a bunch of militants who kill soldiers and then hide among civilian populations are allowed to complain about the government attacking civilians and come off looking like freedom fighters.

I wouldn't put it passed either side to use chemical weapons. The evidence that the US and UK have presented is pretty fucking dodgy and all they have really said is "it's totally obvious the government is using chemical weapons" but they can't produce anything claiming that it would jeopardize their intelligence sources. I don't buy it.

Let Syria's issues be resolved by Syrians. If Assad didn't have any supporters to keep him in power, he wouldn't have lasted a week.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

UK just voted against attacking Syria. The plot thickens!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

even the english are bored watching the US missile the middle east.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Why do we involve ourselves with Syria?

TLDR: Oil

I just wish they'd be honest about it. Chemical weapons? Who didn't see through that excuse?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

How is that "Change" going Spang?

I repeat, I voted for Obama too, but I knew we would not have any change. I just got tired of voting for old white guys. That was truly the only change.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Russia stepped in and told them to fork over any chemical weapons they have. We'll have to wait and see how it goes now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wait until Putin visits Syria and then strike.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Putin will parachute in riding a unicorn, then huff all the sarin, breathing out a minty fresh air freshener.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:How is that "Change" going Spang?
I've evolved politically since I first voted for Barack Obama in 2008. I've been moving further left on the political spectrum ever since and no longer support him. The change has been quite good, actually. Thanks for asking.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:
I've evolved politically since I first voted for Barack Obama in 2008. I've been moving further left on the political spectrum ever since and no longer support him. The change has been quite good, actually. Thanks for asking.
Wait. I thought we were going to invade them for oil. Do we not need it anymore?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:
Yeah, the poorer you got the more you wanted my money.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:Yeah, the poorer you got the more you wanted my money.
I don't want your money, asshole.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:
What's With the hurtful language? I thought you were the boards Enlightened one.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

left = leech
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:
Spang wrote:
What's With the hurtful language?
If you don't like being called an asshole, you should probably stop being an asshole.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Since we are all paying for Spang's education, groceries and medical, we should probably have some sort of say in hos life's course. At least mandatory showers (with soap! I know your games street urchin!)
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Canelek wrote:Since we are all paying for Spang's education, groceries and medical...
Since when?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:
Tyek wrote:
Spang wrote:
What's With the hurtful language?
If you don't like being called an asshole, you should probably stop being an asshole.
says the guy that has been called an asshole by everyone on the board, on numerous occasions.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Tyek, you're being a douche. As though nobody else on here initially supported Obama.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:As though nobody else on here initially supported Obama.
I didn't!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Leonaerd wrote:Tyek, you're being a douche. As though nobody else on here initially supported Obama.
I still do!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Gross.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

While I am not happy with many things he's done (or not done) I still believe he was a better choice than McCain and Romney. So there's that.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Herpes is a better choice than HIV, but that doesn't mean that I'm in any rush to get the big H.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah I can see how that's a totally relevant analogy.

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Leonaerd wrote:Tyek, you're being a douche. As though nobody else on here initially supported Obama.
I still support him, I was just having a little fun with Spang since he trolls half the threads here. I do think it is curious that Obama seems to get a pass that no one on here would give a Republican. I agree about the McCain/Romney thing too, we would be exactly in the same spot. No worries, I will back off.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I still support him
gross
I do think it is curious that Obama seems to get a pass that no one on here would give a Republican.
Hmm. The Obama hatred is pretty widespread at this point. The focus should be of a wider scope than a figurehead, of course. But, still.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Yeah I can see how that's a totally relevant analogy.
Yeah, a bit of an exaggeration. Point being, he's just another self-serving money grubbing dickhead politician, and frankly I'm sick and fucking tired of splitting hairs over which of them is the bigger douche.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Leonaerd wrote:
I still support him
gross
I do think it is curious that Obama seems to get a pass that no one on here would give a Republican.
Hmm. The Obama hatred is pretty widespread at this point. The focus should be of a wider scope than a figurehead, of course. But, still.
He is starting to get some heat, but years ago when people found out Bush and Company were reviewing emails, web pages, etc... there was a huge outcry on here. Prism registered a very small murmur from the general public. Bush had the backing of the public outrage of 9/11 initially but eventually he took a lot of heat for Afghanistan and Iraq. Obama promised we would work with these groups, pull out of the middle east and all sorts of other bullshit that I know most of us did not believe. Still he has gotten a pretty easy pass except from the extreme right and they would disagree with any move he made. He is sort of a Teflon President which is fine. I just am amazed at how people claim Bush was a moron, but also an evil genius. Trust me I don't support Bush, but it is interesting to see the differences.

I am so tired of this 2 party crap. We must stand behind our banner of conservative vs Liberal. Almost every person I know is a combination of the 2. I am socially liberal on abortion, gay rights but fiscally conservative. I am tired of special interest groups controlling my life. I am tired of the Spangs of the world. Eat my way, live my way or else you are evil and stupid. It is just exhausting. So I was a little douche with Spang, but nowhere near how he is with everyone here. Spouting his sanctimonious bullshit. Sorry for the derail. I will go back to lurking like I mostly do.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tyek wrote:I just am amazed at how people claim Bush was a moron, but also an evil genius.
Bush WAS a moron. Cheney (and their buddy Rumsfeld) was the evil genius.

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Aslanna wrote:
Tyek wrote:I just am amazed at how people claim Bush was a moron, but also an evil genius.
Bush WAS a moron. Cheney (and their buddy Rumsfeld) was the evil genius.
Ok I stand corrected. :D
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

When The Patriot Act passed, this is exactly why myself and others were so pissed off. The Government as a whole was given far too much power with the passing of the Act. Anyone with a brain knew there was no going back. It will never revoke it's power, it will only expand upon it. So while I'm disappointed Obama allowed The Patriot Act to stay on the book, and it has even expanded under him, I am not surprised in the slightest. I certainly do not hold him personally responsible. Pandora's Box was opened under Bush and Cheney and it's never going back in the box. My ire stays on the correct party that introduced the cancer onto our country.

Obama is still doing well considering what he has to work with. Congress and the House still need a reset. Literally, throw every single one of them out and start over.

Also, I prefer drone attacks. Less mess and less lives (both American and innocents) are lost. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it gets better results than invading or sending in spec op teams. I also believe that drone strikes will get better and better over time.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Bernie Sanders can stay.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:
Leonaerd wrote:
I still support him
gross
He is starting to get some heat, but years ago when people found out Bush and Company were reviewing emails, web pages, etc... there was a huge outcry on here. Prism registered a very small murmur from the general public. Bush had the backing of the public outrage of 9/11 initially but eventually he took a lot of heat for Afghanistan and Iraq. Obama promised we would work with these groups, pull out of the middle east and all sorts of other bullshit that I know most of us did not believe. Still he has gotten a pretty easy pass except from the extreme right and they would disagree with any move he made. He is sort of a Teflon President which is fine. I just am amazed at how people claim Bush was a moron, but also an evil genius. Trust me I don't support Bush, but it is interesting to see the differences.

I am so tired of this 2 party crap. We must stand behind our banner of conservative vs Liberal. Almost every person I know is a combination of the 2. I am socially liberal on abortion, gay rights but fiscally conservative. I am tired of special interest groups controlling my life. I am tired of the Spangs of the world. Eat my way, live my way or else you are evil and stupid. It is just exhausting. So I was a little douche with Spang, but nowhere near how he is with everyone here. Spouting his sanctimonious bullshit. Sorry for the derail. I will go back to lurking like I mostly do.

Too hung over to comment on the rest of the post, but there are two people who deserve every bit of douchiness we can throw at them on VV, and spang is one of them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:
Leonaerd wrote:
I still support him
gross

Too hung over to comment on the rest of the post, but there are two people who deserve every bit of douchiness we can throw at them on VV, and spang is one of them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
You realize the second person is you right?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Also, I prefer drone attacks. Less mess and less lives (both American and innocents) are lost. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it gets better results than invading or sending in spec op teams. I also believe that drone strikes will get better and better over time.
If drone strikes or "boots on the ground" were the only options, I'd probably choose drone strikes, too. But there is a third option: the United States could stop invading countries and needlessly slaughtering its people.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I don't know how anyone can view the video results of hundreds of dead people killed by chemical weapons and go "tough luck buddy!".
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Also, I prefer drone attacks. Less mess and less lives (both American and innocents) are lost. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it gets better results than invading or sending in spec op teams. I also believe that drone strikes will get better and better over time.
If drone strikes or "boots on the ground" were the only options, I'd probably choose drone strikes, too. But there is a third option: the United States could stop invading countries and needlessly slaughtering its people.
We have no right choice. If we "help" by invading then we are killers. If we leave the area then the radicals take over and commit atrocities. My main issue with everything is that we are not doing much at all in many African countries that are wiping out their own citizens but throw some oil in the mix and we are right there.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I don't know how anyone can view the video results of hundreds of dead people killed by chemical weapons and go "tough luck buddy!".
As opposed to the thousands of dead people killed by conventional weapons.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:If we leave the area then the radicals take over and commit atrocities.
When we invade a country and bomb its people, we are the radicals committing atrocities.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:
Spang wrote:
We have no right choice. If we "help" by invading then we are killers. If we leave the area then the radicals take over and commit atrocities. My main issue with everything is that we are not doing much at all in many African countries that are wiping out their own citizens but throw some oil in the mix and we are right there.
That's exactly it, though. Our government doesn't give a fuck about the people in Syria, there has been public outrage about our government's lack of response for what, a year at least? Then they realized, "hey, we can use the fact that our citizens want to help these people to make Syria another forward base/strategic point/oil source. The fact that they stood by while the people were being massacred all this time, and decided to step in because they have "chemical weapons" is sick, now we want to do something? This country seriously makes me sick to my stomach, it's no wonder basically everyone fucking hates us.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:
Tyek wrote:If we leave the area then the radicals take over and commit atrocities.
When we invade a country and bomb its people, we are the radicals committing atrocities.

I already said that
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:My main issue with everything is that we are not doing much at all in many African countries that are wiping out their own citizens but throw some oil in the mix and we are right there.
Why do you think that the problem in these African countries is that there isn't enough AMERICA FUCK YEAH in them?