Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

VV musicians

Post by Kriista »

ive noticed that a lot of VVers are musicians

are any of you professional musicians?(or at least aspire to be)
any webpages/musicmyspaces?

heres my webpage/myspace:

http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com
http://www.myspace.com/rodrigoconstanzo

and my old band(broke up when i moved to the UK)
http://www.myspace.com/failurearcofbeauty

edit: that "a lot" filter kicks my ass
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: VV musicians

Post by Markulas »

I've been thinking about actively recording my stuff somewhere other than a tape recorder. Anyone know of a good and easy program to record? I'm in the process of getting a laptop, so should I get a mac for this?
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not sure I'd get a Mac specifically for that reason. There are lots of powerful recording apps for the PC. Not sure a lpatop is the best solution though as you'll probably want a decent soundcard. Unless you're not getting that crazy into it at this time and can live with whatever comes onboard.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I hate to be completely unhelpful in an answer, but it really depends on what you're recording.

The nice thing about Mac is built in firewire compatability. USB (even 2.0) is kind of balls for recording, which leaves firewire and PCI. PCI is fine if you don't mind being anchored to your desktop. And there's the option of purchasing a firewire interface card for your desktop so you can use firewire.

Are you just doing guitar/vocals? Or do you add other instruments? Maybe drum programming/looping?

I have products I'd recommend, but they're different depending on the answers to those questions.

(I'm not sure how I missed this thread, I'll contribute to it tomorrow)
Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kriista »

my original move to mac happened for the same reason years ago, i wanted to buy a good laptop, for music

the mac laptops are pretty solid, fullfeatured etc..

i still use my PC(desktop), but 99% of my music i do on my laptop

the other nice perk of macs are that it comes with garageband, which is super simple to use and you can do most of what youd need to do with that barring full on pro production (although it does use external plugins, its just not built with 'pro' in mind)

on PC i use sonar as my main multitracking app, and soundforge for mastering its output and ive gotten decent quality even with the onboard soundcard

sonar is one of the easier to use apps on PC, but it still requires a bit of setup, and learning-curve

my program of choice on mac is digital performer, and i still dont have a happy substitue for soundforge on mac, but DP has lots of waveform editing built it, so ive managed with that

like truant said, what you choose will depend a lot on what you plan on doing

all the programs i mentioned(barring garageband) are more for recording audio, they can do drum programming etc.., but they arent built for it

for electronic type music, reason is very popular, as is fruityloops(for PC)

if you do want to get more serious with recording youll want a dedicated soundcard at some point, but those can be had very cheaply now adays, id go with Firewire in that regard, as usb(even 2.0) has some (monitoring)latency problems

i have a MOTU traveller, which i got modified by a company that specializes in that, and it sounds great, its super light/portable, relatively cheap(800ish), and is bus powered, so i can throw it in my laptop bag and go

the last CD i recorded i did about 80% of it on my mac/traveller, with 10% being on PC/sonar, and 10% being in a proper studio, and it all works well together, theres not really glaring quality differences

long winded post, but its a long winded topic
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

thanks for the info so far all. I've been using ACID pro on my pc for some time now, but I'm not satisfied with it. I need more ability to fool around with my music. I'll be using it mostly for guitar, although I would like the option to eventually fuck around with drums. I don't need the program to have the ability to create cd's just mostly put down musical ideas.
I'm going to live forever or die trying