Techno

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Techno

Post by Spang »

Is anyone experienced in creating techno music? I'm looking for advice or a good site on getting started, please.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

You just need an obnoxious repetitive tune and beat, and possibly some retarded computerized voice repeating the same couple of words throughout the song! You should be able to do that with the mixer that comes with Nero without any lessons.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

My aim is to make techno music that doesn't fit that mold! The Mixman looks like it will be perfect. Thanks Leonaerd!
XunilTlatoani
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by XunilTlatoani »

Wow, I was just telling my wife about this cool software I played around with in high school but forgot the name of it. Sure enough, it was the mixman studio. Thanks for the link :)
Xunil Tlatoani - Gnome Arch Lich (Retired)
Keepers of the Elements

Tlatoani - Gnome Warlock
Light of Dawn (Lightbringer Server)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:You just need an obnoxious repetitive tune and beat, and possibly some retarded rapper repeating some tired cliches about guns, bitches and bling throughout the song! You should be able to do that with the mixer that comes with Nero without any lessons.
Techno and hip-hop are pretty much the same!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I was thinking the same thing but I know how delecate Funkmasterr can be.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Leonaerd wrote:I was thinking the same thing but I know how delecate Funkmasterr can be.
He's just showing his ignorance, that's all.
He's trying to judge a genre of music by a couple of songs.
It would be the same as someone judging hip-hop only by the songs they play on the radio.

Techno (and it's sub-genres) has been one of the most creative and innovative styles of music in the past 2 decades.
You used to be able to say the same about rap and hip-hop, but it's grown creatively stagnant in the past 5+ years.
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

Sometimes its not too bad to be kinda repetitive if its a great driving beat. Darude-Sandstorm is a good example of this, yes I know it was played out, but still this is an awesome song. On another note some of the most influential groups in the last 30 years have been techno related IE Kraftwerk.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Leonaerd wrote:I was thinking the same thing but I know how delecate Funkmasterr can be.
He's just showing his ignorance, that's all.
He's trying to judge a genre of music by a couple of songs.
It would be the same as someone judging hip-hop only by the songs they play on the radio.

Techno (and it's sub-genres) has been one of the most creative and innovative styles of music in the past 2 decades.
You used to be able to say the same about rap and hip-hop, but it's grown creatively stagnant in the past 5+ years.
Wrong, I have had to suffer through plenty of techno music and all of it is the same stupid obnoxious beat playing over and over - I can't see how anyone not on E and at a rave could enjoy this music. For the most part, I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words - and the same sentence being repeated over and over doesn't count imo.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Funkmasterr wrote:For the most part, I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words.
Listen to some Vomitron. It's physically good for you.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Swoned
No Stars!

Post by Swoned »

Funkmasterr wrote: For the most part, I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words - and the same sentence being repeated over and over doesn't count imo.
You'd like techno music if you had robot ears. 8)
"As a comedian you have to start the show strong and end the show strong, those are the two key elements: You can't be like pancakes, all exciting at first, but by the end you're fuckin' sick of 'em." - Mitch Hedberg
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:Wrong, I have had to suffer through plenty of techno music and all of it is the same stupid obnoxious beat playing over and over - I can't see how anyone not on E and at a rave could enjoy this music. For the most part, I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words - and the same sentence being repeated over and over doesn't count imo.
You're just as bad as the hypocrites who judge rap and hip-hop by what is played on the radio.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Let me explain the difference to ya here buddy: I have listened to quite a bit of techno because of friends that like it and hearing it in clubs - so I am not listening to a small handful of songs on the radio and judging the genre by that... That too hard for you to understand?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Maybe your friends just listen to shit techno.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:Let me explain the difference to ya here buddy: I have listened to quite a bit of techno because of friends that like it and hearing it in clubs - so I am not listening to a small handful of songs on the radio and judging the genre by that... That too hard for you to understand?
I'm inclined to think that the 'clubs' in your area probably play only the pop/mainstream crap.

From how you described it... "an obnoxious repetitive tune and beat, and possibly some retarded computerized voice repeating the same couple of words throughout the song!"... they probably like that prefab pop-techno garbage.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Wrong, I have had to suffer through plenty of techno music and all of it is the same stupid obnoxious beat playing over and over - I can't see how anyone not on E and at a rave could enjoy this music. For the most part, I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words - and the same sentence being repeated over and over doesn't count imo.
You're just as bad as the hypocrites who judge rap and hip-hop by what is played on the radio.
Too bad the techno station here got changed to a crappy rap station :( I remember my dad coming down to visit once and being happy that he had found the techno station when he got close to Austin. The next time he came to visit...it wasn't techno anymore :(
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I just checked the techno chart on Beatport and couldn't find a single song like the one you described...

None of them had any vocals at all, let alone robotic vocals!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Swoned wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: For the most part, I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words - and the same sentence being repeated over and over doesn't count imo.
MmmmNNNNN siT oN My fAcE.
Funkmasterr wrote:I can't stand listening to any music that doesn't have words.
It's sad how much awesome music you'll never hear if this is the case for you. I suggest looking up some tunes by Buckethead and Brian Kahanek to change your stance.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

miir wrote:I just checked the techno chart on Beatport and couldn't find a single song like the one you described...

Robot Rock by Daft Punk.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
miir wrote:I just checked the techno chart on Beatport and couldn't find a single song like the one you described...

Robot Rock by Daft Punk.
Heh.. that one is like 2 years old... you won't find it on any current charts =)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I scanned this thread too quickly. I thought you were looking for any techno song with computerized voices.

Carry on!

(Daft Punk is pretty sweet though!)
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

Da Funk is an increadible song from them
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Swoned wrote:
I was thinking about getting robot legs, its a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.
Fuck Michigan!