Leaked Tool single - Vicarious in full

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Thanks for taking the time, Drinsic, I'll take a listen to some of those and see how I feel. Like I said, I liked what I heard, just something about that guy's voice bugged me. Odd, seeing how I don't mind Geddy Lee at all.

And you'll receive no "fanboy" judgement from me, I completely understand. :)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Sylvus wrote:What's the best Dream Theater album? I've only listened to one, Scenes from a Memory or something (I think), and I believe I heard some review that it was one of their weaker efforts. The music sounded pretty good but I wasn't a big fan of the singer.
I've only heard a few of their albums, but when I was younger I liked Awake. That was almost 10 years ago though.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I don't know what this prog is!
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Sylvus wrote:Thanks for taking the time, Drinsic, I'll take a listen to some of those and see how I feel. Like I said, I liked what I heard, just something about that guy's voice bugged me. Odd, seeing how I don't mind Geddy Lee at all.

And you'll receive no "fanboy" judgement from me, I completely understand. :)
I'm not a huge fan of either vocalist, to be honest. I've just kind of become used to both. The difference though is that the first time I heard James LaBrie sing, I didn't have to wonder if it was a male or female. I cannot say the same for Geddy Lee!
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Dregor Thule wrote:I don't know what this prog is!
Prog is the label given to the genre of Progressive Rock.

It's extremely hard to explain or define, so I'm just going to link you to wikipedia and let them do it for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prog
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I just found out for sure that I have tickets to the show in Detroit at 8pm tonight. 8)

Go Blue!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Sylvus wrote:I just found out for sure that I have tickets to the show in Detroit at 8pm tonight. 8)
grats, enjoy! Let us know how it went :)
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Sylvus wrote:I just found out for sure that I have tickets to the show in Detroit at 8pm tonight. 8)
I hate you IRL.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i picked the album up a few days ago. rosetta stoned prob my favorite track on it.. jambi and marie are also up there

on the whole, not my favorite tool album, but definitely a few tracks that would need to be on any "best of" collection. i found the whole thing reminiscent of Lateralus

i listened to most of it while staring at the full-screen windows media bright color zooming graphic bullshit that moves around with your music just like I did with winamp while listening to tool when they first got popular. for some reason that really makes it complete for me :O
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

That show was simply incredible. I have never heard a crowd so loud before. At one point Maynard even stopped and said something like "Jesus fucking Christ you guys are loud". He was actually a bit more talkative than I've ever seen him before. I will never stop being impressed by Danny Carey, watching him play the drums is awe-inspiring. Justin Chancellor seemed more animated while playing bass than I remember him being in the past, and Adam Jones' solo in "Jambi" with the talkbox was pretty sweet.

Intense visuals on four big screens behind the band, a lot of the same images from the Lateralus tour. I did like the layout of the band and the screens more at this show than the last few times I saw them, but the venue was also pretty small (~5000 people) and I was pretty close to the stage (~15th row). My ears are still ringing, what a phenomenal show.

The setlist, as best I can remember (but I think it's right), is as follows:
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist (seemed a bit of an extended version)
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

The show was right around 2 hours, no opening band, no intermission, no encore. MJK said something about "hurricanes, tsunamis, typhoons and floods permitting, we'll see you at the end of summer" so if you didn't get a chance to make it to this small tour check your local listings.

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

25 days until I see them live, I cannot fucking wait.

Sylvus, how was Aenima? I was having a discussion with my friends as to which songs we would ideally like to hear which from my end were:

Jambi
10,000 days
46 and 2
Pushit
Aenima
Third eye
Parabol/Parabola
Right in two
Stinkfist

Were they better live than on the CD? Was it a totally different experience or very similiar? I'm interested because I have a review to be writing for the magazine I write for (I have several music reviews for June, it's going to be fucking amazing!)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Ænema was amazing. I feel like I must have seen them play it at a show in the past, but I've never been able to remember it. The energy in that place was so intense for that song, if there's a universally loved Tool song (meaning how I've heard some fans aren't as big on Lateralus and/or 10,000 Days), that is the one. Played live, it was almost exactly the same as on the CD, though I think he might have changed up the "Fuck all you..." a little bit, and I think they dragged one part of it out a little longer than it normally goes, which left several thousand people coming in and singing a part that ended up being 30 or 40 seconds later.

Overall I'd say that Tool live is pretty close to how the CD's sound. There are a few notable songs that they change on purpose, notably Stinkfist and Lateralus at this show; there were extended guitar/drum solos. I remember one part of one of the last few songs usually being a bit slower and them speeding up the tempo on that part and it being really kickass, but I don't recall which song it was offhand. But as far as the actual sound, it's pretty close to the real thing. Even some of the "effects" on the album that don't seem like could come from the instruments on stage were pretty spot-on. The biggest difference is probably maynard's vocals, I think on several of the songs they use some production magic to make it sound a little different. That leads to him "singing" more of the stuff live that sounds more spoken on the albums. That's not a bad thing though!

I've read the setlists for several of the shows so far, and I think it's a safe bet that you'll hear Jambi, Aenima and Stinkfist. I think they've played both The Pot and Right in Two at different shows, we got Right in Two. Sober is nowhere near the top of my list of songs I want to hear them play and it sounded really great live.

Out of the 5 or 6 times I've seen them, I think the only song I haven't heard them play yet (other than the new album) is "Crawl Away". That's one of my favorite songs, I hope they play it sometime!

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

If they play the extended version of pushit live I will be complete as a human being! (not really but you know what I mean :P)

I guess my Tool love has primarily come from Aenima, which has shaped me in a way no other album or piece of art has, therefore they HAVE to play something off it!

2 hours is more than I could hope for off them, I'm just hoping they don't plow through the songs (which I have seen on bootlegs) and ruin the experience. I'm assuming they won't but we will see.

Even if the gig is shit, I plan on getting some awesome photo's and writing the best review ever, simply because their overall work deserves being promoted as much as possible.

Having said that, if they fucked up badly, it would hurt, not their review, but my whole spiritual being :)

Fingers crossed, booked the flights tonight, so it better be amazing!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I saw them on the Lateralus tour, and it was great. I can't remember the name of the song, but its one of my favorites (yeah I know) but it's track 9 on Lateralus, and it was the encore at that show. The song ended up being about 16-18 minutes long, and the opening band (Tamahawk or something ) Joined them for the second half of it.

I didn't get to see them this time around, I spammed ticketmasters website the day tickets went on sale, right when they went on sale but I couldnt even get one. They were playing in a real small theatre (seats maybe 10k)

It's good to hear they are planning on going on tour again this summer, cause I really would like to see them in concert again.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

You mean Track #9: Lateralus?
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Haha, yeah thats the one :lol:
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Here's a professional review of the show last night, I agree wholeheartedly.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... BUSINESS07

MJK had a humorous look going last night as well (some of which you can make out from that picture): cowboy boots, tight jeans, BIG belt buckle, no shirt, mohawk.

"We'd like to dedicate this set to Satan. Drive home safely"

Go Blue!
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Funkmasterr wrote:I saw them on the Lateralus tour, and it was great. I can't remember the name of the song, but its one of my favorites (yeah I know) but it's track 9 on Lateralus, and it was the encore at that show. The song ended up being about 16-18 minutes long, and the opening band (Tamahawk or something ) Joined them for the second half of it.

I didn't get to see them this time around, I spammed ticketmasters website the day tickets went on sale, right when they went on sale but I couldnt even get one. They were playing in a real small theatre (seats maybe 10k)

It's good to hear they are planning on going on tour again this summer, cause I really would like to see them in concert again.
I must admit, if I was absolutely forced to choose a favorite song by Tool it would have to be Lateralus. I just can't fucking get sick of it no matter what. I'll be trying my best to see one of their shows once they're back from Europe, but I've never gotten to hear the live version of Lateralus. At double the standard length, that sounds like it would be one hell of a song.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah that version they did of Lateralus is possibly the best live performance I have ever seen. And I just might have to agree with you on that being my favorite song.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I considered going to the show here, but bailed and regretted it. They had the show at the Buell Theatre, which is more upscale than your typical Tool venue. My wife and I saw the Nutcracker there in December. When Tool comes back around, I'll probably be stuck in the same quagmire; do I brave the Tool Army and plop down my money or do I pass and spend try to be content to listening to the CDs. If the shows sound just like the CDs, I'd rather pass. Besides, $70 is a lot to see a band perform. Hell, Nine Inch Nails is performing at Red Rocks and that ticket was about $50 AND Bauhaus is opening for them. More than likely, my curiousity will get the better of me and I'll make the next show when they're in Denver. Unfortunately, it'll probably be the God-awful Pepsi Center.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Saw them in Glasgow last night....

goddamn shit my bed.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Similar setlist?

more details! :)

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Seems like exactly the same setlist, although they went off on huge tangents for maybe 10-15 minutes in between a couple of the songs, a few drum solo's and a weird feedback noise experiment for another few minutes.

It was better than I could have expected, and I expected a fucking shitload. Easily one of the best gigs I've been to and by far and away the best rock show I've seen put on by a band.

They were different from how I imagined they would be, but better.

It's hard to explain, I need to go think for a week or two before I can give any coherent conclusion on what happened in the last few days (massive drinkfest in Scotland culminating in Tool concert) 8) 8)
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Ok, it's been like a week and a half.

We spent the whole weekend drinking in various Glasgow bars, meeting random travelling coolio's and weirdo fuckwits before we went to see Tool at the ABC.

At the venue, we waited two hours in the un air conditioned heathole that was the ABC. Despite being a massive Tool fan, I started getting a bit pissed off because two hours really is taking the piss...

However, when Tool came on, and started with Rosetta Stoned (the played exactly the same gig as Sylvus posted above), from the first note onwards it was infinitely more than worth it.

These cocky bastards put on the greatest musical experience I have had the pleasure of experiencing...hands down it fucking obliterated every other gig I've seen, and I i've seen some pretty good gigs in my short time.

They played every seminal experience I wanted them to apart from Pushit and I was literally left speechless from start to finish, apart from to scream hysterically in cheer at the end of every song.

Seriously, if you haven't seen this band yet, you are missing out on what is easily the greatest rock band in the planet. They were different from how I expected, a lot cockier and a lot more rock infused as opposed to metal, but the psychadelic progressive experience these amazingly talented bastards offered was enough to make literally every single rock band in my entire existance pale into utter significance in comparison.

This gig was shit hot, slick, professional and rocked every collective sock in the house off. I was left shocked and astonished. Ifyou don't think every song they play is absolutely the best shit out there right now you are a pathetic no taste bourgeois waste of time and effort.

Literally...these guys are the best in the world right now. If you don't like their new album, their old albums or their live set you really are undeniably an absolute fucking moron of the most hysterical kind. Just fucking kill yourself so the rest of us can evolve in peace without your pretentious no nothing bullshit....seriously....no seriously...fuck off and die.

Best gig I've ever been to....and probably ever will.

Calling these guys virtuoso's is an insult to them, they are literally four men who can create sounds even god would beg for.

Go see them or shut the fuck up about music for the rest of your life. You have no idea.

I mean it, it will be the best musical experience you can imagine. Don't believe me? Grats on being a stupid fuck.

30 pounds sterling to see the greatest musical experience you're likely to see in your lifetime? unbelievable value.

This hysterical rant can't even begin to adequately explain just quite how good this gig was. Im super serioul.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Despite being a massive Tool
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Good work, Nick. :)

How big was the venue they played there? I'm wondering if this leg of the Euro tour was small venues like the US leg was?

I've seen 2 small-venue shows and 3 or 4 arena shows, and I definitely like the small-venues the best.

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Venue had a capacity of like 2500 or something so it was pretty small. Which was excellent, as the sound was clear and exceptionally loud, louder than any other gig I've been to and you got to be pretty damn close to the stage.

\o/
Last edited by Nick on August 3, 2006, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

I missed the small venue show they did in Seattle (Paramount Theater), but I'm going to the Gorge 8/27. I've seen them in small venues and arenas, I honestly don't care where I see them now with fucking 4 years between albums and such huge ticket demand.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I was thinking about this album as it came up on my playlist over this last weekend...

Does anyone else feel like they purchased an EP for full album cost? Yes, I liked the majority of the songs, but it just didn't "feel" like a full album.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It sounds like a full album to me. Maybe not as full as Lateralus, but still worth paying the funds for over 99.999% of the other crap out these days.

I just got tickets to see them in Dublin in November!

\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Boogahz wrote:I was thinking about this album as it came up on my playlist over this last weekend...

Does anyone else feel like they purchased an EP for full album cost? Yes, I liked the majority of the songs, but it just didn't "feel" like a full album.
I agree. I think it feels that way because you skip by the slow boring way to fuckign long and uninteresting intros so it sems like an EP.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I was thinking about this album as it came up on my playlist over this last weekend...

I agree. I think it feels that way because you skip by the slow boring way to fuckign long and uninteresting intros so it sems like an EP.
Punctuate that sentence and I'll take a shot at reading it. As it stands, I'm not sure what it says.

The album is like 78 minutes long, and has about 5 minutes of segues.

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:

Punctuate that sentence and I'll take a shot at reading it. As it stands, I'm not sure what it says.

The album is like 78 minutes long, and has about 5 minutes of segues.
I'd rather listen to "Sugar, we're goin down" than half the dreadfully boring songs on this album.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie/10000 days, The pot, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, Intension and Right in two.

What the fuck man? These are epic songs unrivalled in modern rock.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Shhh, he's talking about switching over to liking an emo band for teenage girls, let him go!

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yuck. No thanks.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I gave it a listen. Wasn't really all that impressed. But I've never really been a big Tool fan so I wasn't really expecting greathness.

Which isn't to say they suck. Just that I didn't care for it much.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:Which isn't to say they suck. Just that I didn't care for it much.
This is what I was getting at.

There are times I don't mind hearing the three to five minute build up to the actual song, but those times are not happening often enough for me to justify actually listening to it every time it comes on. At least Lateralus, for the most part, kept the instrumentals separate from the "songs." It seems like they were also better at building up my wish to actually hear the songs on past albums. This one just leave me feeling like I am wasting my time unless I skip forward or to the next track. There is no anticipation being developed.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Which isn't to say they suck. Just that I didn't care for it much.
This is what I was getting at.

There are times I don't mind hearing the three to five minute build up to the actual song, but those times are not happening often enough for me to justify actually listening to it every time it comes on. At least Lateralus, for the most part, kept the instrumentals separate from the "songs." It seems like they were also better at building up my wish to actually hear the songs on past albums. This one just leave me feeling like I am wasting my time unless I skip forward or to the next track. There is no anticipation being developed.
I kind of agree. I did not say anything negative about it at first, because I did not like Lateralus at first, but grew to like it a lot.

This just has not happened for me with this cd for a lot of the same reasons as you said.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be clicking the refresh button on ticketmaster's site the day tickets to their tour this fall go on sale.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

How does this album compare to Aenima? Aenima is probably my favorite CD of all time. I love Maynard's vocals on just about every song on that album, and I love the darker tone of it without being too "heavy". My favorite type of music is the dark, haunting vocals that just kind of blow up for a minute and then sink back down into that darker side again (think Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Chevelle, Tool etc). Some of Tools other albums haven't impressed me as much, although I generally like all their music. Aenima for some reason just stuck with me and to this day is still one of my favorites. How does this new CD compare to it?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

You really need to just listen to it. I would say that most opinions I've read of this album are completely different than each other. On the Tool boards, in this thread... Give it a go and see how you like it.

I've pretty much liked every album more than the last one, and this is my current favorite. Depends on the mood though, on different days it can be any of their albums.

10,000 Days has its similarities to Aenima in that it has slower songs (think H. or Jimmy), harder songs (think Forty Six & 2 or Hooker with a Penis), a segue or two and Rosetta Stoned is somewhat reminiscent of Third Eye, though much better (in my opinion).

Go Blue!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

You Toolheads (is that proper nomenclature for tool fans? I didn't think tools was right) should really check out King Crimson.

Tools leans pretty heavily on King Crimson as an influence. Thought some of you might enjoy it.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Yeah, KC toured with Tool a while back. I have an album of theirs, they're good, but I don't like them as much as I like Tool! :)

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I spent a lot of time listening to King Crimson when I was younger, I just don't get the same kick out of it as I used to, even though it's still amazing music.

Court of the Crimson kings is class :D
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

My favorite type of music is the dark, haunting vocals that just kind of blow up for a minute and then sink back down into that darker side again (think Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Chevelle, Tool etc).
You mean the older not pussy, not sold-out, not suddenly emo / gay, cry-me-a-river Staind, right?

What the FUCK happened to them since Mudshovel and Tormented (I think that was the first album's name?)

I can't listen to any of their shit anymore it DISGUSTS me. (Sorry Derail attempt)
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Actually your correct. OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of their newer stuff I don't care for. It all sounds exactly the same. I prefer their darker stuff aka earlier.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Oh, I'm going to see Tool tonight at the Palace of Auburn Hills, fancy that! :) :) :)

It appears ISIS is opening, and I feel like I've heard people mention them here before, though I've never listened to them. Anyone you can compare them to? What style are they? Should I make it a point to be there to see them?

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I don't like their singer at all but I think their music is fucking cool. They are definately worth checking out.

I don't get to see Tool again until November :( *I think ISIS are supporting them then too :D*

Have fun mate!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sylvus, I hate you.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Leonaerd wrote:Sylvus, I hate you.
qft