Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Leonaerd wrote:Sylvus, I hate you.
I'd invite you to come with me, but I'm not sure if you put out or not.

Actually, you go to State, so I know you do. Unfortunately I already promised my other ticket to someone else!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Daboohk
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Daboohk »

Isis is awesome... too bad they are only packing a 30 minute set.

Download uh... So Did We for a sample.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Show was phenomenal, as always. This is actually the first of my 6 or 7 Tool shows that I was totally sober for.

I'm feel like I'm forgetting something, and this is probably a little out of order, but setlist included:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings/10,000 Days (was really really great, Floyd-esque laser show during. First time I've ever seen Justin sit down and play)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

The stage setup was absolutely incredible. Similar video screens made a backdrop of the whole stage, a little taller than Maynard. Above that was a big curtain with strings of lights in it that all changed colors in crazy patterns, I don't think they actually started them up until Lateralus. The coolest goddamn thing was that the whole stage was like shiny and white, and not only were they showing the visuals on the video wall, they were projecting them downward from the ceiling onto the stage. When they were setting up after ISIS (who was alright, all of their songs kind of sounded the exact same, but I'll definitely give an album a listen), they rolled back black carpet to reveal the white stage, all of the stagehands were wearing little bootie things over their shoes so they didn't scuff it up, and they meticulously swept it before the band came on.

The imagery they have for this tour... wow! Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus had some new stuff that fit PERFECTLY. The curtain with the rope lights in it was really cool, and the laser show was great too. The whole look was unreal, I'd go so far as to say unrivaled.

It was an Arena show, so the acoustics weren't as good as some other shows I've seen, but they played as tightly as I've ever seen them. I'm really happy with the setlist, though nothing from Undertow was kind of a bummer, I still want to see them play Crawl Away. Hopefully someday. I can also do without Schism, but it seemed to be a crowd pleaser. I was very surprised that the crowd was as happy with Wings/Days as they seemed, I was under the impression that a lot of fans didn't care for that song.

Danny Carey continues to rock my balls off every time I see him. That man makes me want to play the drums, but in 100 years of practicing I could never be a fraction of the drummer he is. I took a picture of him without his drumsticks:

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6nS0FlubFE

Wish they'd gotten a later song so you could see how cool it looked, but better than nothing!

Go Blue!
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Sylvus wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6nS0FlubFE

Wish they'd gotten a later song so you could see how cool it looked, but better than nothing!
I went looking on youtube for some videos of the 2006 arena tour to see what you're talking about, and I assume this would be it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtY9MqVXe5o (Lateralus, pt. 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrPCjBRPCw (Lateralus, pt. 2)

It sucks that they didn't come anywhere near Tennessee for this tour (or anywhere in the south-east at all for that matter - what the fuck is with that?), but I'm not missing the next U.S. tour. I'll take a goddamn plane if I have to.

While on the subject, do you know if there are any decent quality mp3s of the live version of Stinkfist (your video, or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGdyP2251A)? That extension kicks copious amounts of ass... and I love how in all the videos you can hear the crowd become completely fooled and sing "I'll keep digging" at the wrong moment.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

And for the second time this year, I shall be going to see them in Dublin in less than a weeks time 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I don't think I have any good mp3's of that currently, but I'll... keep... digging. (sorry :oops: )

As an aside, every time I've seen them play that live, they've had that extension in there, and never fail the crowd comes in at the wrong time. I learned after the first or second time.

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Ok, just got home from the Dublin gig....holy good living fuck!

Best gig ever, infinitely better than their Glasgow gig a few months back.

It wasn't even just the music, it was the full light show, visuals, great crowd, huge venue with good sound and everything else :)

Ridiculously tired but well worth it :D
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What are some other bands (sans Soundgarden) that have freaky yet coordinated time signatures?
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Leonaerd wrote:What are some other bands (sans Soundgarden) that have freaky yet coordinated time signatures?
I mentioned it in one of these Tool threads, but without King Crimson, there very likely wouldn't have been a Tool. Check them out, and I'll try and think of some others. (first intake of day's caffeine happening at present)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Seriously, it all begins and ends at King Crimson for prog rock.

for different, more classical instrumentation, but similar things going on musically, you have Yes and early Genesis (though not at the very beginning, but in the 70's).

Then you had Rush, which was semi prog.

Then you had Dream Theatre which is kind of prog metal.

These are not the only examples of course, and the lines can get kind of blurry (Frank Zappa for example had a sort of prog jazz phase!), so if any of you cats have any others to add...do so!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:These are not the only examples of course, and the lines can get kind of blurry (Frank Zappa for example had a sort of prog jazz phase!), so if any of you cats have any others to add...do so!
damn you for mentioning Frank Zappa. I have been trying to figure out the name of one of his songs since I was in Germany and the people I was with listened to it almost non-stop. Something about people in Hollywood, or movie-stars. Aarrrrgh
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

You really didn't give me much to work with, so I'm kind of stabbing in the dark (which bears a much more literal meaning when you consider the size of the Frank Zappa catalog).

First guess, "Tinseltown Rebellion?"
From madam wongs to starwood
To the whiskey on the strip
You can hear the crashing, blasting strum
Of bands that come to be real hip
And get a record contract
From a talent scout some day
Theyll sell their ass, their cocks and balls
Theyll take the check n walk away
If theyre lucky theyll get famous
For a week or two perhaps
Theyll buy some ugly clothes to wear
And hope the business dont collapse
Before some stupid magazine
Decides theyre really good
Theyre a tinsel town rebellion band
From downtown hollywood

Tinsel town rebellion, tinsel town rebellion band
Its a little bitty tinsel town rebellion
A tinsel town rebellion band

They used to play all kinds of stuff
And some of it was nice
Some of it was musical
But then they took some guys advice
To get a record deal, he said,
They would have to be more punk
Forget their chops and play real dumb
Or else they would be sunk
So off they go to s.i.r. to learn some stupid riffs
And practice all their poses
In between their powder sniffs

Chop a line now, snort it up now
And when they think theyve got it
They launch a new career
Who gives a fuck if what they play
Is somewhat insincere

Tinsel town rebellion, tinsel town rebellion band
A tinsel town rebellion,
A tinsel town rebellion band
Did you know that in tinsel town the people down there
Think that substance is a bore
And if your new wave group looks good
Theyll hurry on back for more
Of leather groups and plastic groups
And groups that look real queer
The tinsel town aficionados
Come to see and not to hear
But then again this system works
As perfect as a dream
It works for all of those record company pricks
Who come to skim the cream
From the cesspools of excitement
Where jim morrison once stood
Its the tinsel town rebellion
From downtown hollywood

Is everybody happy?
Oh never mind!
No problem!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

No, that's one of the first songs I checked out when I started looking the first time.

I really can't give you much more. It specifically mentioned Hollywood.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Truant wrote:Seriously, it all begins and ends at King Crimson for prog rock.

for different, more classical instrumentation, but similar things going on musically, you have Yes and early Genesis (though not at the very beginning, but in the 70's).

Then you had Rush, which was semi prog.

Then you had Dream Theatre which is kind of prog metal.

These are not the only examples of course, and the lines can get kind of blurry (Frank Zappa for example had a sort of prog jazz phase!), so if any of you cats have any others to add...do so!
Van Der Graaf Generator (the misspelling is on the band's part, not mine!) actually got a year's head-start on King Crimson as far as full-length albums go.

Pawn Hearts still wasn't out until 71 though, so that's 2 years after In the Court. Hell, Fripp even played guitar on Pawn Hearts. If you're into King Crimson, you'll probably like VDGG.

In any case, if we're talking about the early prog rock shit, VDGG ought to be on that list.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

VDGG most definately.

There are a shitton more bands to list, but I sort of went with the most recognizeable/accessible to start with. But if you got more, go for it. :)

There's also Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (ELP), who were late 70's classical prog (they would write a song that followed the structure of large classical compositions). Anyways, they were pretty big and I forgot to mention them.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Thanks for your help, dudes.

I went to pandora.com (per a post by somebody in a different thread, I think maybe Aslanna) and made a mix of vicarious, rosetta stoned, tool, lateralus, and king crimson. It pooped out so many awesome bands with varying and disgusting time signatures and tonality that all of a sudden my WMP playlist is 150 songs longer.

Pandora's freaking nuts. Anybody that doesn't utilize it should learn how, and anybody that doesn't think it's effective should be shot, and then learn how to use it while recovering from the fact that they just got shot, since they obviously don't know how to use it if they think it's ineffective.

Cough.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still use Pandora. I usually listen to that more than downloaded MP3s these days. It's good stuff! Although sometimes I wish they wouldn't use as many live versions of songs as they do. At least for the stuff on my station. I don't mind live versions but I'd like to hear the studio recordings at times as well.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Leaked Tool single - Vicarious in full

Since this seems to be the "Tool" thread, I figured this would be more appropriate here than a new thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGCDc34m-4

I tend to hate it when people put up videos of themselves playing songs at home, particularly if it's a song I love (such as this instance), but I found this really impressive. Not sure how the other Tool fans here feel about a piano cover, but it's worth a watch/listen.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

That was really fucking impressive. I can't even imagine how he went about learning that on piano.

Not to take away anything from his performance, as it was phenomenal, but I'd like to hear the piano track with maynard's vocals. I think that would be stellar.

And as an aside, I bought ~$500 worth of tickets (6 tickets) to the July 3rd show in detroit, and I might have an extra pair, if any of you readers out there want to take a road trip to the great lakes state for the 4th of july.

Go Blue!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'm down if you'll have me.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

You go to State, I'm not sure...

I also don't know if I was clear in that I meant I'd sell the extra pair!

Either way, Drinsic claimed them first, so if that falls through, you're next in line and I'll let you know.

Go Blue!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

:puppydogeyes:
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I just got back from Bonnaroo at about noon today... and goddamn.

In my near obsessive desire to see Tool live over the past several years, I've watched many videos posted on YouTube, but none of them compared. The setlist:

Jambi
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty-Six & 2
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

I went with a group of about 20 people, but the three of us that actually weren't completely fucked up for the show managed to make it to about 20 feet away from the front guard rail, just barely off-center. The view was perfect, and the show was absolutely phenomenal. They had the complete stage set up along with the two main stage screens to either side. As I'm sure those of you who have seen them before can imagine, Maynard had quite a bit of fun with the crowd, talking about the shower he took (with soap) and the air-conditioned bus. After a few expected jabs about "the marijuana" and "the LSD", they entered an interesting version of Rosetta Stoned where most instances of "I" or "me" were replaced with rather stressed instances of "you".

The highlight of the show and probably the entirety of Bonnaroo for me (with the only possible exception being the Super Jam that followed Tool's act with ?uestlove, Ben Harper, and John Paul Jones that was fucking amazing) was Lateralus. Immediately after the second chorus, just as Danny Carey started into one of the drum solos they've been adding to the live show, Maynard welcomed "Tom-fucking-Morello". He came on stage with a Les Paul that I want to say was the same as Adam's, but I can't be sure. For nearly 5 minutes Morello and Carey just went apeshit, and I can only describe it as orgasmic. Morello playing with his teeth at one point was definitely a crowd-pleaser. I just don't see that ever being topped for me.

Aenema was a great closer, the crowd was really into the whole show. While Bonnaroo ended up being a bit of a fucking dust-bowl (it hasn't seriously rained in middle TN for over a month I believe), it actually made the laser show really impressive. Visually, I haven't seen anything like it. There are pictures here under the Friday tab.

It was just an amazing weekend. Clutch, the Super Jam, Ben Harper, the Police, John Butler Trio, Wolfmother, and the White Stripes were all great - Clutch especially. It was the first time I've seen them as well, and I don't think I've ever seen a stage presence like Neil Fallon's. While Tool's show is obviously centered around the visual experience alongside the music, Clutch just straight up fucking rocked. Most of the people I was with had never heard them before, and all of them were thoroughly impressed.

Sorry, I think I've rambled a bit here, but I'm still soaking it all in.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

That's awesome! I meant to ask you if you went, I'd read a couple reviews of it on a tool board and everybody said it was amazing. Tom Morello coming out makes me VERY jealous. I did read that he was playing one of Adam's Les Paul's. I think you can (or could before it was taken down, if it was) get an MP3 of the Lateralus performance from the show off of a link in this thread.

Go Blue!
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Thanks for the link, that's awesome. I can only hope they release a high quality recording via LiveBonnaroo / iTunes (however they do it).

Also, unless I'm just retarded, it seems like they've removed Tool from the official photo gallery. They had about 50 pictures from Tool's set up last night.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Posted con permission...

Here are several bootleg live Tool recordings I've come across. They're obviously not CD quality, but I think they're pretty damn good for audience recordings. Not posting the entire shows, just particular songs that I'd say are notably different / superior to their studio counterparts.

October 24, 2002
Disposition - Reflection - Triad

June 4, 2007
Stinkfist
Schism
Lateralus
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Awesome clips Drinsic.