Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Aesop Rock: Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives

Post by Sylvus »

I don't know who is into underground/independent hip hop, but Aesop Rock is probably my current favorite artist. For the last few years. I haven't gone more than a couple days without listening to one of his earlier releases (Labor Days or Bazooka Tooth mostly) and Fast Cars does not disappoint.

It might take a few listens to catch anything he's saying (it often does for me), but his similies and metaphors are amazing. Many of his rhyme schemes are very complex, but if you give it a chance you might dig it as much as I do. If you're resourceful you can probably find this EP somewhere... ;)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

I picked up his 'Float' album a few months back, and honestly wasn't all that impressed with it. I really wanted to get into it after hearing so many good things about Aesop, but I found this particular album to be rather bland, with some boring beats and not much going on other then some good lyrics.

Are his other albums drastically different / better then this one?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I listened to the few songs I was resourceful enough to find :wink: . It wasn't that bad, but I didn't like it all that much. His voice really reminds me of someone else and its really gonna bother me until I figure it out.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Desolet wrote:I picked up his 'Float' album a few months back, and honestly wasn't all that impressed with it. I really wanted to get into it after hearing so many good things about Aesop, but I found this particular album to be rather bland, with some boring beats and not much going on other then some good lyrics.

Are his other albums drastically different / better then this one?
I would say yes. I don't remember offhand, but Float is either the album previous to or the first release of his on the Def Jux label. He's progressed quite a bit, Float is probably 4th on my list of Aesop Rock albums.

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Aesop Rock: Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives

Post by Sylvus »

Aes's new album, None Shall Pass, is out and I really dig it. Once again, he's not for everyone, but I'm a big fan.

Surprisingly, MTV is giving him love. He's on a lot of commercials and stuff right now, and I heard that in its first week None Shall Pass was #50 on the Billboard chart, which is pretty impressive.

He's got a silly show with Blockhead (a producer he collaborates with a lot) that is on MTV.com right now, I found it pretty entertaining. http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1569127&vid=174240

Go Blue!