The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I'm not clicking anything you post without some kind of explanation.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Slashdot ran a story about this a day or two ago. Quoting thier quote from the Wall Street Journal (WSJ Article & /. article):
"The company Pandora Media takes a different tack for its online music-recommendation service. When you tell Pandora a song you like or have bought, it doesn't mine its sales database for records of other purchases by those who have bought the song. Instead, it looks for songs with a similar musical profile, based on a database of 300,000 songs rated on up to 400 characteristics like rhythmic syncopation, vamping and vocal harmonies. To analyze the songs, Pandora has hired Bay Area musicians like San Francisco jazz guitarist Bob Coons. 'When Mr. Coons describes a particular song, he uses phrases like the "complexity of the chromaticism" and "richness of the harmonic structure." He has studied the chord structure in Britney Spears' "Oops I Did It Again," and reports that it is "actually fairly complex," ' the Wall Street Journal Online reports.
I played around with this a bit on Friday (they give you 10 hours of use for free). It's really kind of cool. Using queries ranging from "Wish (nin)" to "Rufus Wainwright" to "Rock Lobster" to "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Holiday in Cambodia" (deliberately throwing a lot of different stuff at it). it returned a lot of good matches for the queries I used.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

This is a pretty neat application. The search results are very useful and related to whatever song/band you put in.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
StupidMcDupid
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by StupidMcDupid »

Hey, this site rocks! I heard some songs that I've never even heard from by my favorite rapper,(Chamillionaire).
I didnt have no dates at homecoming,thats cause i had your girl naked in my home cumming.

She was looking at it like, "that isn''t gonna fit", u want a smaller size go and rent a plastic dick.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Just a bump on this. I listen to it most days. There's still no charge and no time limit from what I can tell. After awhile (4-6 hours?) it stops but if you click Ok it starts again. According to the FAQ there may be a charge sometime in the future. I probably wont subscribe to that though if it ever happens.

Just don't get to carried away and add a bunch of favorite artists and songs all at once or you could find your playlist travelling in odd directions and not know which artist/song did it. For example I added Poe and I started getting songs from the 70s thrown in. I was like.. What the heck!

Anyway, the one I have is http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh95952919474683327. Started out as Sarah McLachlan Radio but now she's not around much.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cool stuff. Did you put up Andreas Vollenweider as a second station or did that pop up because of me somehow? I can see this being really useful for hearing New Age type music that's not played as much as some music genres out there.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

pandora.com and last.fm cover pretty much all my music needs. great stuff!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: www.pandora.com

Post by Boogahz »

I think it is funny that it is alternating Kool Moe Dee and LL Cool J. It's just like their old battles!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I forgot all about these...going to make an effort to have Pandora playing in the background while playing game like Rappelz that don't really need much sound dedicated to them.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I have Pandora run when I'm not playing a game. I wonder if it is possible to make it automatically run when you start your computer...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:I have Pandora run when I'm not playing a game. I wonder if it is possible to make it automatically run when you start your computer...
Try putting the URL for Pandora in your start up folder, or make it your home page and place your browser in your start up folder.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

That's a solution but I'm hoping more for something small and cozy that might fit in the Vista sidebar.