Damien Rice - 'O' Album

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Damien Rice - 'O' Album

Post by Nick »

This is an Irish musician. He is somewhat unknown even here.

You can check out some of his songs in that film "Closer".

However, the genius is his live act. 'O' is beautifully understated and is really only a snapshot of what you see live.

I am going out on a limb here, but if you ever see a live act by this man I am pretty certain only the worst type of fool would not see that this guy is easily one of the biggest talents to emerge in the last 30 years.

It is like a religious experience. If you take some time to hunt him out you will be forever enlightened.

This is not your average OMG NSYNC ARE AMAZING, I am talking about essentially the most heart wrenchingly honest and bowel tremblingly amazing music you will hear this year.

He ranges from melodic romantic reqiuems of a softness and clarity often forgotten these days and he can build to the most breath taking pounding celestial rythems, not to mention both him and his partner (female singer) have two of the best voices and styles to grace the planet.
Now my music choice ranges from Tool to Godspeed to Love to Focus but this guy REALLY is something special.

I suppose I don't really care either way if you do, just trying to share something I found to be .........well....you'll see.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

o is amazing.
murr
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by murr »

i heart 'O'
Murr - Fires of Heaven - Black Dragonflight
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Wow, I had heard a few of his songs before, but didn't know his name. I just downloaded a bunch of his songs and already love em. Such great emotional range in his songs. Gonna go buy this CD, which is rare since I can download the entire thing if I want. Looking forward to any new albums to come. Thx teeny :)
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Np mate, there is also a B sides album which has a couple of the album songs redone (or rawer/earlier) and some great new stuff 'woman like a man' in particular.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

heh, as mentioned above i had already heard a few of the songs on this cd and loved them, just didn't know who sung them. amazing album.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i will make an effort to listen to this guy.

hopefully i will not be proven to be the "worst type of fool" :p
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

:lol: You will see Voro :)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Pretty good stuff. I've heard Cannonball and Volcano before on WOXY but never paid attention to who it was. :)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Ok, here's a turnabout. I was listening to some live Radiohead Hail to the thief stuff and suffice to say it was feckin awesome. I decided to put some Damien Rice on after the Radiohead, and to my shocked astonishment found it to be a little sickly cheesy or something....not quite up to scratch, maybe it was just the Radiohead being so great that teh 'O' did not stand up or just my mindset at the time.

Either way I think I like any Radiohead above this.....

/ramble off
landertime
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by landertime »

yeah i saw damien rice live about a year ago and can comfortably say it was the best gig i have ever been to.

and i have been to a fair few gigs.

o is incredible, as is the b sides.

this man can do very little wrong in my eyes.

i even love him regardless of his relationship with renee zellweger, who made bridget jones, and quite unforgivably, a sequel.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

BRIDGET FUCKING JONES IS HORRIBLE.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Missed his concert by about a month. Darn

Anyway, I'm not really sure why he would be in a comparison with Radiohead.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That sucks Aslanna.

I compared them simply because I was listening to them at the same time, not actually comparing them due to the fact they are similar or anything (which they aren't).

I love Damien Rice though, was probably having a broken heart day or some shit.

/whine off!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

15 September 2006

damien rice - new album, '9' to be released this year

Damien's new album, entitled 9 will be released later this year.
Confirmed release dates to follow in the next few days.
Yay.

Good link for one of his concerts if you don't know who he is.. Was on BBC I guess.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query ... ur+seasons

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Check out youtube for some of his new songs played live. As usual, they are immense.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Damien Rice - 'O' Album

Post by Aslanna »

Oh, just a bit of an update but I did see him a few months ago after missing him the first go around in 2005.

Now let me get it out of the way and say I enjoyed the concert BUT... I really wish I had seen him in 2005 because from what I can tell he doesn't really tour with Lisa much anymore. Which probably explains why she wasn't that prominent on his latest CD (which is probably why I didn't like it as much). And Vivian (cello) doesn't make all the shows either. For example she was at the show the day before the one I saw.. But was a no-show for us so it was just him, a bass player and a drummer. Maybe have been another guitarist as well but I honestly can't remember. I was really looking forward to the whole "O experience" but only got about half of that.

Not to mention he started more than 45 minutes late. There was no opening band which I liked but sitting there doing nothing for an hour rather sucked.

And one final complaint but not about him... Why do idiots go to concerts and ruin it by shouting out shit? Show a little fucking respect for the artist you obnoxious intoxicated redneck douchebag. Retards like that are one of the main reasons I don't go to concerts anymiore. Not to mention the $15 extra tacked onto the ticket price for "service and convenience charges". Fuck Ticketmaster.

Overall still a good show and I'd recommend seeing him live if you haven't already.

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I'll be seeing him play in exactly 2 weeks time in Dublin 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

However, he doesn't play with Lisa Hannigan at all anymore, so I'm worried its not really going to be as awesome as it should be. I had tickets to see him earlier in the year in Paris, but the person I was meant to go with pulled out at the last minute, and I didn't want to go on my own :evil:

It will still be a good gig though.

Also going to see the Foo Fighters/Nine Inch Nails/Silversun Pickups in 11 days in Dublin \o/
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This man put on the best gig I have ever seen in my life.