Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Black Sails

Post by Winnow »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPRzH7Nrg4

Black Sails is now on Episode 3 of season 2.

This has remained a quality watch. It's on Starz channel so no Netflix or any other streaming for it yet. Surprisingly, Michael Bay produces the show. While the show looks great visually, there's assloads of character development in the show which Bay really isn't known for. Not much fluff. Each episode is cram packed with content/character development.

Might be worth a binge watch ala Vikings is if you like a good serious/drama pirate themed series, once it's available somewhere streamable. I grabbed the episodes by other means.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Black Sails

Post by Winnow »

Season 2 just ended which was fantastic. This is probably the second best show out right now behind GoT. Jam packed episodes. No filler. Many times I've check the progress of the episode I was in thinking it was near the end only to find I was halfway through the episode. Great characters, writing, acting, action and story.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have Season 1 on bluray, but I haven't taken the time to watch it. I keep hearing good things though. Starz is one of the few channels I have really missed since switching cable providers.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I watch it, and it loses itself a bit during season 1, as the viewer is not given the omnipotence of most shows. You will be lead in certain directions and no reasoning or rational are ever given. It was actually not the most fun I've had watching a show (season 1). Then season 2 came around and I think the writers learned from their mistakes/ignorance in the writing of season 1. Season 2 was much better, much more fleshing out of characters pasts/present. It was much more fun to watch season 2. I look forward to season 3.

Don't expect the depth and awesome of GoT...but expect a diverse and fairly complex pirate scope of work...and you will enjoy it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Season 4 of Black Sails kicked off last night.

I recently finished up listening the the audiobook, "A Republic of Pirates", which covers the Golden Age of Pirates that the show is based on. It's a great read/listen if you are curious about the era (~1690-1722)

One crazy stat: The pirate crew mortality rate for a single voyage during that time was about 30%, which was higher that the mortality rate of slaves being transported during that time. Rough life!

It's a better than average show with bonus points for being about pirates.