Marco Polo

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Marco Polo

Post by Winnow »

Finished watching the Netflix exclusive series.

It's more Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon than anything historically accurate.

I watched all 10 episodes so it wasn't horrible but it's not notable for much.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Marco Polo

Post by Aslanna »

I'd give it a 7.5 overall I guess. I haven't checked Metacritic yet but will after posting this to see how accurate I am to the pulse of the critics! I got a sort of Vikings/Game of Throne vibe overall from it. Mainly with the fish out of water aspect like the Priest in Vikings sort of corresponds to 'Latin' in Marco Polo.

I did have trouble following some of the character/story lines at times. I'm not sure if that was just due to the presentation or me being dumb.

I also don't think the last episode delivered a big enough payout. The last scene in particular I was like.. "Uh.. How could that painting be there and nobody notice it?" That and who thought it was a good idea to give that woman a pointy stick for her hair.

(Didn't use spoiler tags because my post is fairly generic!)

Edit - 48 on Metacritic! I haven't read any reviews to see the major complaints but I didn't think it was that bad. With something scoring that low I wonder if it will come back for a second season
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Marco Polo

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Edit - 48 on Metacritic! I haven't read any reviews to see the major complaints but I didn't think it was that bad. With something scoring that low I wonder if it will come back for a second season
Marco Polo ends up traveling all over the freaking place so if it comes back for another season it should be more about him traveling than hanging out in the palace.

I also thought the season finale was weak.

Also felt the pain for the little girl that had her feet "bound". Who in the hell in ancient times thought that was a good idea? That was a common practice and just seems flat out retarded.

Nothing against female wrestlers but I don't think that rail thin lady would beat everyone.

Amazing to see a completely naked lady take out three fully armored guards as well. She should have kept the pointy thing in her hair for the assassination attempt as she wasn't too good with a bow.

I wouldn't call the series bad but it's maybe the worst of some very good Netflix original series I've seen. Liked: House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, and Orange is the New Black. I'd watch a season 2 but would hope that they tone down the superman Marco, amazing fighting blind monks and leaders that fight like boss mobs. I think maybe I was trying to learn something from the series which is why it didn't work for me. If it wasn't supposed to be based on actual history, I might enjoy the crazy fighting more.