Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Boardwalk Empire

Post by Sylvus »

What's that you say? I didn't sell you on HBO's "Treme"? What about a series about Prohibition-era Atlantic City, starring Steve Buscemi and Omar from "The Wire", written by one of the writers/producers of The Sopranos and directed by Martin Scorcese? Is that something you might be interested in?

Trailer
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Post by Zamtuk »

yes. yes it is.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I like Steve Buscemi. Tell me more!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think this series has jumped the shark already and it's only in season 3. The first 7 episodes of season 3 have been mostly a snooze fest and they continue to mostly focus on annoying storylines which seem to be going nowhere like the deranged mother (Gillian Darmody) with the hots for her son (James "Jimmy" Darmody). All the while ignoring or giving very little time to more interesting characters/stories. Even if it picks up for the last 3 episodes of season 3 I don't know if it would be worth it to sit through those earlier episodes waiting for that payoff.

[Show]
The killing off of Darmody was a pretty bad idea imo.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have enjoyed season three. The tone has definitely changed after the end of season two, and the differences might be what have kept me interested. The glamour and lights have been replaced by the ghosts and solitude. Decisions start to have more of an impact on people, yet keeping up with deals made has become more of a chore.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Been letting S3 stack up on the DVR since there are a ton of other things I am watching. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Reading some reviews I see I'm not alone! Metacritic scores went from 88 for Season 1, 81 for Season 2 and is at 76 now for Season 3. I like character dramas as much as the next person so not saying every episode needs to be action packed. However I would like a more focused show. The closest comparison I can think of at the moment is Heroes. Way too many different storylines going with half of them not being all that interesting.
It remains the most ambitious show on TV with nothing to say at all.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Season 4 starting September 8th. Not sure if I'm going to bother watching it! I really wasn't all that impressed with Season 3.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Final season premieres Sunday, September 7th. I'm surprised this is still around. Maybe this last season will contain more action and story advancement. No need for 20 different character arcs if the show is ending.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I finished watching.. S5 wasn't that bad and was only 8 episodes. I wasn't really a fan of the ending though but I guess it's to be expected that it went down that way.

If I had to give an overall series score I'd probably go 78. Just be prepared to slog through Season 3!

--